Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

IAD to NRT & BKK: NH & TG F, $3 Hilton Tokyo, Sheraton Pattaya, & IC BKK [w/ photos]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD to NRT & BKK: NH & TG F, $3 Hilton Tokyo, Sheraton Pattaya, & IC BKK [w/ photos]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club

Backstory

Around 9am on the morning of November 5th I got a fare alert notice. I’d been on Flyertalk already but hadn’t yet checked out the Mileage Run forum. Big news – the Tokyo and Osaka Hiltons were selling for $2 on Expedia, or I could spend an additional buck for an Executive level room.

This glitch became one of the most active threads in Flyertalk history. Several FTers – myself included – got email confirmation that the rate was valid (once it had been pulled). That turned out to be pivotal, as Expedia’s official stance was that November reservations would be honored but nothing else. My res was never cancelled, and though I was nervous about their official pronouncements I was told mine was valid.

So with the lure of $3 rooms in Tokyo I thought that mrs. gleff and I ought to go. Surprisingly enough, though I’ve connected at NRT I’ve never been to Japan.

(I actually also booked the Intercontinental Tokyo Bay at $3 on the Orbitz pricing glitch and was one of the few folks to have reservations honored. I thought I’d switch hotels during my stay, especially since my wife had never been to any of the Disney theme parks and I thought I’d take her to Tokyo Disney. But in the end we decided to shorten our Tokyo stay and add Thailand into the mix, and to just take the direct bus to Tokyo Disney from Shinjuku Station isn’t of messing with changing hotels.)

We cashed in 240,000 USAirways miles for 2 F awards: IAD-NRT in F on NH, NRT-BKK in F on TG, and then returning BKK-NRT (2-class C) and NRT-IAD (F) on NH. Availability for 2 seats on the precise dates I wanted wasn’t any problem at all, one call put the flights on hold.

Planned a few months in advance I managed to arrange things at work to take a week and a half off. thezipper was kind enough to lend me a Japanese cell phone. And we were on our way.

Friday, April 14

IAD-NRT
NH Flight 1: Scheduled Departure 12:20pm / Scheduled Arrival 3:20pm
Seats 2A, 2C

Left home at 9:45 and we were at IAD at 10:30am. There was one person at each of the coach, business, and first class lines. Ironically, everyone waiting in the business and coach lines were checking in before us. The woman who began checking us in stopped in the middle to take care of the crew and then left the business class CSR to handle us.

ANA leaves out of B41, and the B concourse no longer requires the people mover (AT-AT vehicle). The underground concourse is fine, but a couple of the moving walkways weren’t functioning. That place is sure deserted a bit before 11am! And it’s such a dreary walk, you’d think they’d spice it up a bit or at least sell more ad space. Not every underground walkway has to be 70s futuristic like ORD but something would be nice.

(For a DC-based flyer it might be strange that I marvel at IAD, but I don’t fly out of it very often – I haven’t been here in months. I live one metro stop away from DCA and will usually gladly add a connection to avoid the trip to IAD.)

Lounge is just past B41, with the business class side to the left and the first class (signet lounge) to the right. They check your boarding pass on the way in and direct you to the appropriate lounge, but you could easily go to whichever one you wish – the bathrooms are shared between the two lounges, and you could enter from one side and exit into the other lounge with impunity. Not that there’s any reason why you would: the first class side was crowded with Star Golds not flying in F, and there’s nothing special about the F lounge in any case. In terms of furnishings and food it’s a poor excuse for a UA Red Carpet Club with its lone saving grace being self-serve mid-shelf liquor. Snacks were scarce, although the Japanese flavor to them was nice – there was some kind of trout item which was quite tasty.

Boarding is done directly from the lounge, and we were called up about halfway through the boarding process. F boards from the forward door of the 777 so very little traffic passed us by – just a few of the business class folks who were in the F lounge.

F load was 9/12, business was half full, and coach couldn't have been more than 1/3 full. Mostly Japanese. Very light load for a Friday. No wonder there have been persistent rumors of NH dropping this flight, they must not be getting much feed from UA. (Informal polling showed that very few folks that I know here in DC were even aware that it was possible to fly non-stop to NRT.)

No pre-departure drinks were offered, but FAs offered pajama bottoms and sweaters which I declined since I was already in my own traveling gear and it wasn’t nice “take home” stuff.

Amenity bags are passed out empty and a basket is brought to you from which to choose your amenities. Previous reports were that FAs left the baskets out for people to take what they wished throughout the flight, but this wasn’t done today.

Meal was outstanding, I'll post the menu shortly, but the bottom line is that this was probably the best airline catering I've ever experienced. There are both Western and Japanese menus, you're welcome to mix and match at will, and then there's a set of a la carte items to order from throughout the flight. Everything was boarded in sufficient quantity.

The beverage menu follows:

Wine & Beverage
Champagne
Krug Grande Cuvee

“Grande Cuvee” is an exquisite blend of exceptional vintages. This Krug has a fragrantly rich and elegant bouquet with hints of apple blossom, honey and roasted nutes. Its fine mousse, balance and length are the ultimate seduction. A truly elegant Champagne from a great master. Pinot Noirt/ Pinot Meunier/ Chardonnay

White
Chablis Premier Cru Les Vaillions Vieilles Vignes 2000
Domaine Laroche, Bourgogne

Unripe apples and minerals meet lemon and lime zest. Fresh, crisp, and bone-dry. A rare white that benefits from aging, from one of most distinguished Domaine in the Chablis area. Chardonnay

Vine Cliff Winery Chardonnay 2004
Napa Valley, California

Hints of bananas and peaches progress into a rich, creamy palate buoyed by a fine tannic structure. From Carneros, the Napa Valley’s premier chardonnay appellation. Chardonnay

Schlossberg Grand Cru Riesling 2002
The Cave of Kientzheim Kayserberg, Alsace

Muskmelon comes on strong on the nose, followed by the charming aromas of cherry leaves and linden tea. Gorgeous acidity marries with the wine’s natural density to produce stunning mouthfeel and texture. Another hand-crafted winner from Schlossberg. Riesling

Babich Winemakers Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2005
Marlborough, New Zealand

Freshly cut grapefruit fills the nose. Assertive acidity and “juicy fruit” taste really get the senses moving in this aromatic and spirited wine from one of New Zealand’s oldest and most distinguished wineries. Sauvignon Blanc

Red
Chateau Giscours 1998
Margaux, Bordeaux

From one of Margaux’s most crtically acclaimed chateaux. Expansive flavors augmented by strikingly smooth, well-blended tannins. Its fine, graceful finish remains on the palate like an enduring echo. Cabernet Sauvignon/ Merlot/ Cabernet Franc

Chateau Petit Village 2002
Pomerol, Bordeaux

Plum and ripe blackberry lead the fruit of this Pomerol Chateau, whose young vines were replaced in 1956. The mouthfeel couldn’t be softer, like elegant velvet. Merlot/ Cabernet Sauvignon/ Cabernet Franc

Franciscan Oakville Estate Magnificent Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot 2002
Napa Valley, California

The inky ruby color foreshadows the exhilarating prune jam and cassis aromas to come. Fruit-packed sweetness marries well with the relatively high alcohol, producing a long, lingering finish that doesn’t seen to quit. Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot

Montana Terraces Estate Pinot Noir 2003
Marlborough, New Zealand

Black tea and withered leaves add an aging, smoky accent to the classic aromas of dark cherry and raspberry. Very soft, with a gentle mouthfeel. Just the right amount of acidity refreshes the palate. Pinot Noir

Prestige Sake
Ichinokura
Junmai daiginjo SHOZANTEN (Miyagi)

Hakurei
Daiginjo KOUDEN 35 MIGAKI (Kyoto)

SATASOUJI-SHOUTEN
Kakutama Plum Wine (Kagoshima)

KAWAGOE
Genuin Imo-jochu (Distilled Spirit) (Miyazaki)

TEMPAI Hakata Dontaku
Shochu made from barley, aged three years (Fukuoka)

Tea Selection
Champagne Rose
Assam
Darjeeling
Earl Grey
Jasmin Tea
Rooibos Tea
ANA’s Original Flavored Tea: Gentle Breeze
ANA’s Original Falvored Tea: Sunny Spot

Japanese Tea
Green tea
Roasted green tea
Japanese konbu-plum tea

Coffee
Columbian Blend
Mocha Blend
Kilimanjaro Blend
Blue Mountain Blend
Charcoal-roast coffee

In addition there’s the full bar and soft drinks. Notable under cocktails is ANA Original Cocktails – I didn’t see anyone order “ANA’s original cocktail celebrating the 20th International Flight Anniversary ‘20th Harmony’ made of vodka, cointreau, blue curacao, orange juice, ginger ale… whatever this has to do with 20 years of international flight I have no idea, except that after 20 years of non-stop flying I’d need a drink too

I found the Old (“SuperStyle”) seats to be hard and uncomfortable to sleep on. Pillow wasn’t all that big or fluffy and the blankets weren’t comfortable either. A duvet would be nice. It’s a good thing these are being phased out on long-haul (IAD is the last US market I believe to get new style, and by the date of our return was running new style every other day -- just not on the day I was flying back). The old seats are really just a mid-tier business class product and not reasonable for first.

Entertainment was a mix of video on demand (just a handful of movies and shows) and programming that cycles. There were games but none really to my taste.

Bathroom was stocked with towels similar to the hot ones that are generally passed out, and those were covered with flower petals. There were amenity items such as mouthwash and toothbrushes and toothpaste (all in sealed packets) as well. One of the two F bathrooms was oversized, which is nice to facilitate changing.

I have to give serious kudos to the ANA FAs. While much has been said about their 'formal' service, and it's true that they're not chatty (at least they weren't with me), they are incredibly efficient at providing every possible comfort.

I never reached bottom on a drink. My glass was never empty for 14 hours. When I fell asleep, a FA came over and brought a comforter and covered me up without waking me. mrs. gleff tells me it was a full 2-3 minute affair, tucking me in just so. I hadn't had any dessert with my lunch, though I mentioned that I might want tiramisu (off the a la carte menu, rather than the lunch menu). A couple hours before landing the same FA came over and asked whether I wanted a tiramisu before landing. Just a little thing, but it felt meaningful.

Landing was very hard and we came into a gate in the mid-80s, taxiing across the entire airport. We were out to baggage claim quickly as they deplaned from both the forward door and the one behind F. Only moments after we were through passport control our bags came out, the F class priority tags make all the difference. No delay at customs and we walked up to the desk in the arrivals hall for the Airport limousine bus.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
IAD-NRT Menu

Kaiseki course
Savor the refinement of classical Japanese cuisine. Our master chef selects nature's finest, freshest ingredients to create a menu the evokes the essence of the season. A choice of hand-crafted sake perfectly complements this special dining experience.

Zensai
Prawn and yam cake
Simmered bonito
Cured hotaru-kia (firefly squid)
Sakura-perfumed duck breast
Sake-steamed fava bean
Honeyed sweet potatoes

Nomonowan
Yuba (tofu crepe)-wrapped shirauo (icefish) and seasonal vegetables in hot seafood stock

Oshinogi
Our selection of sushi

Kobachi
Shinshu-soba (buckwheat noodles)

Takiawase
Clam, sakura-fu (gluten cake), bamboo shoot and green seaweed simmered in light soy sauce

Shusai
Salmon simmered in special soy sauce
Assortment of simmered seasonal vegetables

Steamed rice, miso soup and assorted pickles

Dessert
Your choice of one of the following:
Ice cream and sorbet medly
Mango mousse and cookies
Warm pear pecan crumble tart with vanilla ice cream

Selection of fresh seasonal fruit

Green tea, roasted tea

Wagashi
Toraya "Shin midori" (white azuki bean and green tea jelly)

A la carte
Light, easy, uncomplicated dining. Choose the dishes that catch your imagination and each will be plated on board, producing a freshness and taste not unlike a fine restaurant dining experience. Naturally, we also offer a tempting range of fine wine and sake for your consideration.

Oscietra caviar with traditional garnish
Crab rillettes with petit fruit salad and garlic toast
Warm prawn and veal sweetbread ragout in raspberry sauce

Fresh garden salad with Japanese dressing
Maine lobster and scallop salad exotic with herb balsamic vinaigrette

Grilled beef tenderloin with basil perfumed tomato sauce (339 kcal)
Pan-roasted sea bass with red pimiento coulis (248 kcal)
Roast duck breast with honeyed grapefruit sauce (328 kcal)
Asparagus duo filled in cannelloni with tomato marinara (301 kcal)

Selection of breads with a choice of dairy butter or extra-virgin olive oil

Ice cream and sorbet medly
Mango mousse and cookies
Warm pear pecan crumble tart with vanilla ice cream

Delights
For those who prefer lighter dining we invite you to choose from our extensive selection of snack dishes. For additional options, may our crew recommend one of the chef's short tasting menus.

Sake accompaniment
Sansho peppered baby fish
Grilled oyster with special sake marinade
Yakitori (skewer grilled free-range chicken and vegetables)
Seafood and bamboo shoot braised in Chinese oyster sauce
Oden (hot pot with fishcakes and vegetables)
Assorted Japanese pickes

With wine
Chaumes
Roquefort
Three Sisters Farmstead Cheese

Light dishes
Kamonanban-udon (hot white wheat noodles with duck and leek)
Cantonese-style noodles in shark's fine soup
Fresh uni (sea urchin roe) and Ikura (marinated salmon roe), served over rice
Japanese tea poured over rice, garnished with tai (sea bram) sashimi
Cantonese-style congee (rice porridge)
Chef's special free-range chicken and mushroom curry
Super cheeseburger
Classic Calzone
Minestrone soup

Sweet treats
Tiramisu
Fruit tart

Post-nap comfort
Fresh garden salad
Cornflakes with milk

Petite Japanese course
Baby potatoes braised in amber chicken sauce
Salt-grilled masu (salmon trout) with Japanese herb vinegar
Steamed rice or okayu (creamy rice porridge)
Natto (fermented soybeans) Dried seaweed
Miso soup Assorted pickles

Petite international course
Chicken piccata and creamy sweet corn stew with buttered rice
Bread roll
Fresh seasonal fruit

Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Nice. Very nice report gleff.

How come you didn't fly up to JFK so that you could experience the flight on a new plane? We did C on that run and it was ^ .

As for the NH service, I too found it 'cold', but outstanding.

FYI on the wine,

Franciscan Oakville Estate Magnificent Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot 2002
Napa Valley, California

This can be purchased in the $20 range.

How many days did you spend in Japan? Did you just do Tokyo?
Same question for Thailand.

I found the Thai people to be much friendlier than the Japanese.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:05 am

Programs: some
Woaw, is that a smal mountain of caviar??
Look forward to the rest...
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhammer53
How come you didn't fly up to JFK so that you could experience the flight on a new plane? We did C on that run and it was ^ .
Needed 2 F seats and never saw more than 1 at a time on the dates I wanted. Could have flown through LAX and gotten 2 F seats New Style but didn't want to break up the trip. Catering and service the same, and the seats were good enough. Besides, it just gives me something to look forward to for next time! ^

How many days did you spend in Japan? Did you just do Tokyo?
Same question for Thailand.
4 nights Tokyo, 3 nights Pattaya, 2 nights Bangkok.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!
Old Apr 28, 2006, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hilton Tokyo for US$3 a Night
April 15 - 19

After quickly clearing customs and picking up our bags, we walked over to the Airport Limousine Bus desk in the arrivals hall and bought our tickets to the Hilton Tokyo.

We paid our JPY3000 apiece for the ride and went outside of baggage claim. We had to wait half an hour until the next bus would be headed to the Hilton. No problem, it was nice to walk around outside and stand up for a spell. Standing nearby the pickup spot for our bus we were questioned by police who asked for our passports as an airport security measure. They wrote down passport numbers and asked our occupations, but I must admit this was the friendliest questioning by police I’ve ever experienced and I didn’t mind a bit (though the thought did cross my mind, “how do I know these are really cops rather than people playing dress-up who would take my passport?” paranoid, I know).

Our bus departure was 4:25pm, which put us into Tokyo right at rush hour unfortunately. The trip took a good two hours before we pulled up at the Hilton.

No mention of rate glitch, only that when I mentioned I’d be checking out early that the room was prepaid by Expedia and they wouldn’t be able to refund unused nights.

The Executive Lounge is closed for renovations until mid-summer, so they've set up a temporary lounge for checkin/checkout ont on the 30th floor. Breakfast is served as a complimentary buffet in their second floor French restaurant. Afternoon tea time is in Brasserie “Checkers” on the second floor. And cocktails are in St. George’s Bar on the first floor, with the cover charge also waived for executive floor guests.

I was given a Queen smoking room, despite my request for King non-smoking. The room didn’t smell of smoke at all, and I only knew it was a smoking room by the presence of an ash tray. The queen bed was fine, just meant I was closer to my wife, though it was a bit hard for my taste. At my $3 rate I just didn't have it in me to argue.

There was complimentary water in room and complimentary high-speed wired internet also as part of the executive room package. But there’s no cord, thankfully I bring my own cord and router.

Tokyo is an expensive city to be sure, but then many large cities are. In reminds me in many ways of Manhattan. The basic Hilton room should have been $300, not $3, and was hardly special in any way. Room service was actually reasonable, coffee was JPY900 per person but that's an "all-in" price.

Anyone wanting to save money on food can always eat at the Denny's across the street from the hotel.

Late one evening we were hungry and didn't want to head out far from the hotel. We walked across the street to check it out. Now, I never eat Denny's at home. But I admit I was hugely curious, and there was something bizarre about going to Denny's in Tokyo. It wasn't that I wanted a 'piece of home' just the sheer irony and curiosity of it all, and I was reasonably rewarded.

It turned out to be a fabulous experience for what it was. Food was MUCH better than anything you'd get at a similar place in the US. It's Denny's serving mostly Asian fare. Service was very good and prompt (there's a buzzer at your table to call a waiter, saves them time moving around the restaurant looking for who needs help and lets them keep fewer folks on staff). And quite reasonably priced, dinner for two was about JPY2900.

We checked out Tokyo Disney, since my wife has never been to any Disneyland, anywhere. We took the direct bus from Shinjuku (JPY600 apiece each way, 50 minutes). It was a Tuesday and there were no lines, which was surprising as I've seen this described as the busiest theme park in the world.

We also made a quick trip to Ueno Park for the 'real' Cherry Blossoms, none of that DC blossom stuff we're used to at home.

Elevator Hallway on the 33rd floor

Hilton Lobby

The Entrance to 'Hiltopia' -- the underground shopping area at the Hilton. The name is unfortunate because the shops are rather limited and desolate.

Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Kozue at the Park Hyatt Tokyo

We went to lunch at Kozue, the Japanese restaurant at the Park Hyatt Tokyo.

The restaurant is made up of rich amber wood walls, floors, and tables. The tableware is all unique. The restaurant has a breathtaking view out towards Mt. Fuji from its 40th floor perch.

The menu, much more affordable at lunch than dinner, offers both individual choices (to which you can add rice, miso soup and Japanese pickles) and set course meals (beginning at JPY3900 at lunch and I believe JPY12000 at dinner, our meal was JPY6200).

Our first course consisted of several items: Kelp Flavored Snapper and Fresh Seaweed with Vinaigrette Soy Sauce; Marinated Tofu, Konnyaku and Deep Fried Puffy Bread; Simmered Short-neck Clam, Yachiazami and Fuki Greens; Conger Eel and Seri Greens with Sesame Sauce. Everything was delicious, especially the Eel and the Snapper.

Our main course was Grilled Yonezawa Sirloin and Seasonal Veggies Wrapped with Hoba Leaf. The meat and veggies were actually inside the leaf, sliced in 1/2 inch thick and 4 inch long pieces. The meat was really good, more fatty than I'm used to, but that addedamazing flavor. This type of meat is even more prized then Kobe beef, which is quite a delicacy in American-Asian-Fusion restaurants.

This course was served with a little pot containing hot, smoldering branches with a wire top. The meat is served rare and guests can cook it further to taste by placing the leaf bundle on the clay pot for a few minutes.

This was followed by tempura.

And then dessert.

A really wonderful meal, outstanding quality and authentic Japanese yet accessible even to Westerners unfamiliar with the cuisine (being inside the Park Hyatt more or less ensures that).
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:55 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Splendid report!

Thanks especially for the Kozue review.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent report! ^ ^
Old Apr 29, 2006, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thai Airways First Class, Tokyo to Bangkok

Wednesday, April 19
Narita - Bangkok
Thai Airways International Flight 677
First Class, Boeing 747
Departs: 4:55pm
Arrives: 9:25pm

We checked out of the Hilton Tokyo using the temporary lounge on the 30th floor. I used my remaining yen to pay the hotel bill, which was just some room service coffee and the transfers back to Narita. I asked when the executive lounge would reopen and was told summertime, June or July. “It will be much larger, we are very excited.”

Then went downstairs to the front of the hotel for the 12:10pm Airport Limousine Bus. Turns out this was a bit of a mistake, there was no traffic whatsoever and I we could easily have taken the 1:10pm departure. Instead we’re at Narita around 1:40pm. After the perfunctory passport check upon the bus entering the airport, we’re at terminal 2 moments later – a full three hours before our departure, and also before the Thai checkin counters open.

We take a seat and at 2:15pm we get up as we watch a long line form to screen baggage before entering the checkin area. We’re behind scores of people, but a Thai representative takes business and first class passengers out of line. Security screens our bags first and we’re taken to the checkin counter. Our bags are checked and boarding passes and lounge invitations are issued. The Thai representative walks us to security – scratch that, through security - first class passengers use the crew line which has no one in it. We were announced as first class and screened, and then the service director walked us to the immigration line.

She asked us whether we were being met at Bangkok or if we’d need complimentary limousine service. I declined, as we’re being met by the Sheraton Pattaya’s BMW, and alas I understand that Thai only offers this service to downtown Bangkok and not outside the city. Meanwhile, remembering a recent trip report where the Sheraton failed to pick up as scheduled, I was wondering whether I made a mistake in not having Thai at least assist in arranging a transfer. Oh well, fingers crossed. (This same woman came onboard to make sure she didn't miss asking anyone about a limousine transfer on arrival.)

Once through immigration we walked downstairs to the shuttle waiting to take us to the satellite terminal, our flight would be leaving from gate 86. Just to the right of the shuttle exit is both the JAL and ANA first class lounges.

We give our lounge invites to the ANA greeter and we’re shown to some nice window seats. Another woman comes to take our drink order and gives us hot towels and packaged snacks. There are also some assorted sushi offerings. There’s a smoking section and another section with two comfortable recliner chairs and restrooms behind an automatic sliding glass door. Nice service aside, the lounge is physically unimpressive (this is, after all, Narita).

Our plane:

The plane, unfortunately, wasn't equipped with the new long-haul first class, unsurprising for the Tokyo-Bangkok route. The seats had fairly limited pitch, it's first class and you still would have to climb over your seatmate if they were reclined in order to get to the lavatory. The seats were even an uncomfortable, itchy velvet. Fine for 6 hours, for sure, and better than anything you'd get from a U.S. domestic carrier. But ANA, Singapore, or Cathay Pacific this is clearly not.

The plane didn't feature video on demand, just video channels playing on a loop. The overhead bins were small, but there was underseat storage using a bin underneath the seat in front of you and storage behind seat your seat that was usable when not reclining.

The old first class seats:

Here's the uncomfortable-looking business class cabin:

Pajamas -- slippers and tops, but not pants -- were distributed. The men's pajamas were Guy LaRoche. The amenity kits are Bvlgari, as are the toileteries in the lavatory.

Meal service began shortly after takeoff.

Edamame:

Caviar and '95 Grande Dame

Caviar was served without a proper caviar spoon. It's one of the little things that Thai seems to get wrong, in spite of a clear financial investment in their product. What's the point of good caviar that you're supposed to eat with a metal spoon?

Saffron Shrimp, Japanese Mackerel, Egg Stuffed with Eel, and Beef Pastrami:

Shrimp Wonton Soup:

Salmon in Yellow Curry:

We sat next to the rudest American couple. Perhaps in their 60s, they had flown in from Houston and were no doubt tired and irritated. They snapped at the lounge attendant. They snapped at the flight attendant upon boarding and then when being offered drinks. And they mocked a business class passenger trying to board (as they attempted to cut him in line). And then the husband snored loudly through much of the flight.

Fortunately the snoring didn't bother me as I slept for three of the six hours of the flight. And while the seat wasn't as comfortable as ANA's long-haul, the pillow was extremely comfortable. I woke up with only an hour left in the flight.

When I woke up a flight attendant brought me a mini-Haagan Daaz carton. I expected Sundae I guess, especially since it was announced at the beginning of the flight that coach would get ice cream before landing as well. I expected the first class offering to be more elaborate, but still it hit the spot.

Where Thai really shines is in their ground service. On check-in we were taken through security. But the nicest offering is their first class arrivals service.

Flight attendants pass our a card to first class passengers prior to arrival which will identify them to ground staff.

Thai Airways staff are standing in the jetway and once you're identified as a first class passenger they lead you through the terminal to immigration and take you to a special desk. Instead of waiting in line you sit down at a desk while they handle your paperwork with immigration officials (and stand over the bureaucrats while they key in information).

Moments later you're taken to baggage claim, where you're identified to porters who assist you with your bags. Our were taken from baggage claim directly to our driver from the Sheraton Pattaya Resort, and off we went!

Here's the flight menu:

Thai Airways International takes great pleasure in welcoming you on board. Our legendary Royal Orchid Service will make your journey Smooth as Silk. Our dedicated chefs choose the finest ingredients and add Thai herbs to Thai dishes that are being served as in-flight meals. Also, only the finest wines from the best vineyards have been selected to accompany your meal.

First Course

Oscietra Caviar with Garnitures

Saffron Shrimp
Japanese Mackerel, Egg Stuffud with Eel
Beef Pastrami

Shrimp Wonton Soup

Main Course

Australian Beef Stew Japanese Style "Toboni"
Steamed Japanese Rice, Mixed Vegetables

or

Fillet of Salmon in Yellow Curry Thai Style
Steamed Thai Hom Mali Rice, Fried Sweet Dried Fish

or

Deep-fried Breaded Chicken, Coleslaw
Lyonnaise Potatoes

or

Washoku-Shokado Bento (Japanese Box Meal)
Eel Kabayaki

Assorted breads, butter

Cheese and Fresh Fruits

Dessert

Green Tea Cake
Tea, coffee
Espresso, Cappuccino

Ice Cream
Old Apr 29, 2006, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Great stuff ^^
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Great trip report!!! I look forward to my trips in June and September.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:08 pm

Great report. Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2006, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
Great Report!

Sounds like a great trip. I was recently in Tokyo but not for $3 a night! Congratulations on securing a nearly free trip. Well done! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.