AF First : CDG/NRT/CDG w/photos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF First : CDG/NRT/CDG w/photos

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2006, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, Krisflyer Gold, Die-hard Saint's fan !
AF First : CDG/NRT/CDG w/photos Sorry, Click on this one !!

First trip report ever, here I go …
It took me a while before I finally decide to burn some miles…Funny how I’m addicted to my miles account, checking it every day just to see if, by any chance, some unexpected miles have been credited (which happens from time to time…AF gave me the 1000 “e-newsletter bonus miles” at least 3 times in 5 years ). With more than 300,000 Flying Blue miles at that time, and a trip to Japan in mind for months, time has come to test my addiction.
First, I wanted to book one month ago a R/T CDG/NRT/CDG with the inbound on AF and the outbound on JL… For some reason, it is no longer possible to book on JL code-shared flight with Flying Blue miles, at least in F. My original plan, which was to compare new AF first seat w/ JL new skysleeper solo has to be sadly forgotten.
A spoiled brat, that’s what I am ! I have to take AF in F “new travel Concept” on both legs
A quick look to KVS : A1 on the 21st of April, A3 on the 1st of May for the outbound. Sounds good to me. Knowing that, I feel comfortable to call Flying Blue and make my reservation.
In total, 5 minutes over the phone from the moment composed the “Special Club” number to the moment I hung up, including airport taxes payment (134 euro… ) and seat assignment. Good point for FB ^ , as I often experienced bad customer service in the past.

21-Apr-2006
Home-CDG
Living in the center of Paris, the most convenient way to go to CDG is definitely RER B line, unless you’re rich and can afford a taxi, which would cost you around 50 euros, with a great probability of being inflicted a discussion about the main differences between BMW and Mercedes ...Sorry I couldn’t resist (and this really happened to me…many times).

Entering CDG 2F2 Terminal
Everyone around this board might know how controversial CDG is. And if I really feel sorry for poor passenger that land/take-off at Terminal 1 (and incidentally Terminal 2D, the shame of CDG ) , I fully disagree with regard of Terminal 2F. It’s bright, spacious, with a really nice design that I personally like.
The CDG-NRT was not opened yet when I arrived. Ok, I was so in a rush to be on holiday that I reach CDG at 8:15 pm…(for an expected departure time at 11:25 pm). No problem, I used another AF counter and quickly check-in. No special treatment for being plat or whatever except a “I suppose you know where the lounge is, sir ?”.
Yes, I know (but I didn't know where the JAL lounge was . Last JAL flight take off at 7:05 pm, so it's closed now...) And what has been posted here is actually real…

08:45 pm
Going Through the custom check was quick (3 minutes). Before getting downstairs to the lounge, a quick look at the non-schengen part of 2F. I am a big fan of this architecture, definitely.

Since AF rearrange the 2F2 lounge (“rearrange” is a big word…the “espace premiere” lounge was simply materialized by a small barrier in the past), one can no longer smoke in it. Funny to see people getting out of the lounge every now and then to smoke a cigarette in the small smoking area of the shops gallery. The lounge dragon seemed quite upset with these pax leaving the lounge saying “I’m back in a minute”. It’s not a joke, it happens a least 5 times that evening.
26 passengers were in the lounge when I entered. But with only 3 flights departing from 2F2 ( JNB, NRT and LAD), and the relatively early time, not really a surprise.
Let’s enjoy this calm atmosphere. First, having a glass of wine :
Meursault 2001 – Les grand Charrons
Bourgogne Rully 2004 – Les villages de jaffelin
Bordeaux Cote de Castillon 2001 Grand cru
Champagne Brut Piper Heidsieck

I opted for Meursault, as I’ve rarely been disappointed so far by this white wine. My curiosity pushes to quickly taste the Bordeaux, but honestly nothing to write about. I need something to eat :
poppy chiken sandwich
Tomato salad basel sandwich
Basket of fresh fruit
Selection of Fine biscuits.

This is a something AF must dramatically improve. This crappy selection of sandwich compared to what one can get in BA first lounge at LHR or the LH one in FRA is a JOKE. I mean, even Olympic airways offer better food in ATH !
I finally tasted the poppy chicken sandwich.

Selection of booze : Red and white Martini, Bombay Sapphire Gin, Jarres Tawny Porto, Absolut Vodka, “The Glenlivet” Whisky 12 years old, Virginia Bourbon 8 years old, Campari, Ricard, and my favorites : Old Armagnac Sempé hors d’age, and Cognac Champagne Xo “vieille reserve”

Today’s newspaper were all available in spite of the late departure, which I appreciated since I hadn’t read them this day…

09:20 pm
Still a few people around here… Unfortunately for me, among these few people, a 4 years old child that shoot out loud every now and then…Can he just calm down and play with the Sony PSP !!?? Time for me to move to a more peaceful place….let’s go downstairs.

10:40 pm
After 2 hours I decided to leave to the boarding gate. The lounge dragon surprisingly told me “have a good flight Mr Serpentos and see you soon in our lounges”.

11:00 pm: “Ladies and Gentlemen, due to technical reasons, please be informed that the boarding is delayed for 20 minutes, and we expect to take-off at 00:00 pm”… I wont comment on that, since I’ve NEVER boarded a transcontinental flight on time out-Europe . It just give me more time to enjoy the view I have to this brand new B777-300 ER. I am usually a big Airbus fan (Ahhh A340 !) but things are really about to change with this plane I must say.

Boarding finally started at 11:10 pm so only 10 minutes after the public announcement. C and F pax (sorry, J and P ! JOUY31, please apologize…) have a dedicated row and I was the first to enter the cabin.

11:13 pm Entering the F cabin…
Thanks to chrissxb, I heard a few minutes before I reach CDG that my flight is somewhat empty in F, according to KVS… Well, actually, quite empty as I’m supposed to be the only one in the premium cabin… Reality is way different.
As I entered this magnificent cabin, after being welcome by the dedicated FA (Good Evening Mr Serpentos, It’s a pleasure to have you on board. I will personally take care of your comfort and security during this flight. May I help you to take your suit off ?), I learned that the FA was actually waiting for 4 more pax in F… God ! 3 pax have been upgraded from C/J (ok, this was not a surprise knowing that J was fully booked). We have had a short but funny discussion before the other pax came in. And there I learnt that ATL is the worse airport in the world when you don’t use T1, B772 aircrafts will be refurbished NTC with only 4 first seats, etc... Very friendly guy, not too snobbish nor familiar.
But let’s discover this “premiere classe”.
I was the first to get on board, so I took many pictures without disturbing other pax…which was not the case of premium passenger in seat 2A who was taking pictures of everything, using the flash without asking during the whole flight !
The FA came to me to offer his help… Seat 2L (I was assigned 1L but I changed on board when everybody embarked, just like I usually do on my domestic itineraries) : this “new travel concept” seat is really classy, nice, elegant. As mentioned by Falco Peregrinus before, the whole atmosphere of the cabin is relaxing, and I personally think that this mix with red and brown colors simply works fine.
About the seat itself, all (earplugs, power plug, etc...) is hidden here.

Hot towels and Welcome Champagne Lanson Noble Cuvée 1998
AF menu description : « This prestige Champagne, made exclusively from the produce of grand cru village, is composed of two parts of chardonnay and one part Pinot Noir grapes. The palate is refined and delicate, making this champagne a perfect aperitif and a fine accompaniment for subtle fish dishes”
Absolutely great !

Another champagne glass ;o) and distribution of the menu and amenity kits

Menu description
Apéritif :

Choice between
Blended Scotch Whisky 12 years old
Pure Malt Whisky 15 years old
Bourbon 8 years old
Licorice-flavored aperitif, Gin, Vodka, Vermouth
Porto Late Bottled vintage 1998

Menu Supper “A la carte”
Choice of hors d’Oeuvre
~ Shrimp served with vierge sauce featuring virgin olive oil, tomatoes and olives ~
~ Duck foie gras with lime zest ~

Choice of main courses
~ Filet of beef accompanied by jus flavored with Earl Grey tea, green beans and caramelized white radish ~
~ Pan-seared monkfish served with sage sauce and artichokes flavored with bergamot ~

Special selection of cheese
~ Camenbert, Roquefort, Chčvre ~

Fresh bakery selection

Dessert
~ Pear tart with vanilla and hazelnut ~
~ Sherbet served with cookies ~
~ Assortment of fresh fruit ~

Wine list
~ White Bordeaux Liqueur – Barsac Chateau Doisy-Védrines 2002, second cru classé – Castéja ~
« Crafted from Sémillon grapes, along with Sauvignon, this wine boasts a full, smooth palate, and a harmonious texture that combines sweetness and finesse. It is ideal with foie gras, red meats in sweet and sour sauce, or blue cheeses.”

~ White Alsatian – Tokay Pinot Gris Grand Cru Brand 2002, Cave de Turkeim ~
“The terroir of Brand brings us a full, rich Pinot Gris. This is a balance Wine with a distinct personality. I recommend it with fine fish, lobster and poultry dishes with sauce.”

~ Red Burgundy - Santenay 1er cru Grand Clos Rousseau 2003, Jean-Claude Boisset ~
« The 2003 vontage is notable for the wonderful maturity of its fruit, coupled with a delicious fresh quality on the palate. This intensely flavorful wine makes a fine partner for red meats or for white meats with sauce.”

~ Red Bordeaux – Pauillac Les Tourelles de Longeville 2001 ~
« This is the second wine of the Château Pichon-Longueville. Initially produced in 1986, it is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot grapes. The 2001 vintage offers perfectly matured fruit with hints of licorice and sweet spice. On the palate, it is meaty and full-flavored, with ripe, distinguished tannins.”

Brandy & liqueurs
~ Fruit Brandy ~
~ Bas-Armagnac 1991, Cognac XO ~
~ Calvados hors d’âge whiskey liqueur ~

I skip the aperitif and went straight on the Duck foie gras with lime zest with a glass of Barsac Chateau Doisy-Védrines 2002, second cru classé. The onion jelly served with foie gras perfectly match with this incredibly fantastic wine. This was so fantastic that I ask for another glass just for the pleasure.

For the main courses, I asked for Filet of beef accompanied by jus flavored with Earl Grey tea, green beans and caramelized white radish. “How would you like your meat cooked sir ?”…”Medium please”.
With this course, I must admit that Pauillac Les Tourelles de Longeville 2001 would be the wine of choice, even though my natural taste leads me to Burgundy… “Not a problem sir, I’ll serve you Santenay afterward if you want to ». Good idea.
For once, the meat was not overcooked (as I usually experienced when flying J…), but the really “plus” is the jus flavored with Earl Grey. Just perfect. The fine selection of mustard was useless for me.

Pauillac Vs Santenay : Draw
Santenay needs more time, believe me. Unless the earl grey sauce disturbed my palate too much, it was not complex enough for a Santenay whereas Pauillac had mature tannins and this characteristic violet fragrance of Cabernet-Sauvignon. Past experience with burgundy will always influence my conclusion (this explains the draw ) but Pauillac won hands down ^ .

After a very quick desert (Mango Sherbet served with cookies), cause yes I’m not into desert usually, I was offered an espresso accompanied by a ballotin of 4 « Lilliputiens by Michel Cluizel » Chocolates (Bitter ganache « Premier Cru » cocoa from Venezuela, Almond and Hazelnut crunchy praline, Almond and Hazelnut praline ground into large grains, Bitter ganache with passion fruit pulp)

I haven’t tried the selection of teas and herbal teas from “le palais des thés”… But I asked for a second espresso right after the first one, and a double this time ! I really want to stay awake as much as possible if I want to avoid jetlag in Tokyo the first 2 days…

Upon request, during the flight :
Soft drinks/water/juice
Orange/apple/tomato Granini juices
Coca-cola, Coca-cola light, Fanta Orange, Sprite, Tonic
Evian, Badoit, Perrier
Champagne (at the bar “Espace”, not the same one unfortunately...)
Cookies
Tea
Espresso
Fresh fruits

Quick look to the movie list :
“Fun with Dick and Jane”
“Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire”
“Jarhead”
“Je vous trouve trčs beau”
« The Trail »
« Ladies in Lavender »

Hum, hum, I’ve seen better choice…I go with “Jarhead” first…

To be continued…

Last edited by Serpentos; Apr 23, 2006 at 7:15 pm
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:31 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Looking forward to the next installment... Already a few questions but we'll see that later.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:55 pm

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
Nice report.Waiting for more
Old Apr 24, 2006, 2:50 am

Great Trip Report!
Special thanks for the food & wine detail.

I can hardly wait to sample AF F based on what I hear so far.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
very well done ... looking forward to read more

one technical advice, you can add the pictures into the thread using the image icon in the bar above its enabled in this forum ^
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Nice report! Looking forward to the pictures and experiences following!
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Nice report! Looking forward to the pictures and experiences following!
pictures are in the thread, serpentos didn't know about the enabled image feature in this forum and put links to some nice pictures. what he forgot ... to make photo of flight attendants ...
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:50 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by chrissxb
pictures are in the thread, serpentos didn't know about the enabled image feature in this forum and put links to some nice pictures. what he forgot ... to make photo of flight attendants ...
Thanks but I saw the pictures, I meant I'm looking forward to the pictures yet unposted!
Old Apr 25, 2006, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
AF just joined Alaska Airlines' Mileage Plan, so perhaps I can someday splurge for a First Class seat as well. In the meantime, I've quite enjoyed your report. Thanks for the fine photos and the menu transcript, too. ^
Old Apr 27, 2006, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, UA, VX
So far so good! Sounds awesome...wish to be in a first class cabin right this minute! Can't wait to read more!
Old May 27, 2006, 2:25 am
TR35R

Originally Posted by Serpentos
… For some reason, it is no longer possible to book on JL code-shared flight with Flying Blue miles, at least in F.…
As I mentioned another thread, code share agreement with F-class to be discontinued(~May/31st/06, soon!). Though I enjoyed your report... thanks anyway

Old May 29, 2006, 9:22 am

Programs: AC*G; BD*G; CX; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diam
Excellent report Serpentos. Loved all the pics, and looking fwd to the next installment!
Old May 30, 2006, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Excellent report, except you left out any comments on the FA uniforms.

Also, I recall a pretty good Sauternes?

All in all, AF is offering a great F product!
Old May 30, 2006, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
And, one of my favorite things is the mattress pad which they put on top of your seat before you go to sleep.

Last edited by nologic; May 30, 2006 at 1:51 pm
Old May 31, 2006, 8:27 pm

Programs: Many
Mrs. unagi1 loves Michel Cluizel chocolate. Although I extremely doubt we would ever have a chance to enjoy it on AF, whenever we visit Paris, a visit to that shop is a must.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.