One World RTW in First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One World RTW in First

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2006, 1:37 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Great trip report. Bring on the remaining stories!

I actually enjoyed your pictures of the half eaten sandwhich and empty plates. They made me laugh when I compared them to the beautiful pictures taken by other FTrs of their perfectly set plates & the tasty food.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:04 am

Great report so far!
Old Apr 19, 2006, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Great stuff Moomba! Keep it up and enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Very good report! Very entertaining!! ^
Old Apr 19, 2006, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Part 4 SFO - JFK

As I said in my last report today’s flight was going to make or break my experience on AA domestic services. Unfortunately it broke.

Hopefully this will be the only downbeat report of my entire trip. Now I am not saying it was a bad flight or a bad experience in general. Just that I expected more than J with a portable DVD player when travelling on these 3 class domestic services. I am positive that given other options I would never pay for an F seat on a 3 class domestic flight with AA. It is surely not worth the extra cost over a business class seat. Read on.

Another beautiful day dawned over one of my favourite cities with no clouds and a stunning blue sky to greet me when I used the bed side control unit to open my curtains. I jumped on to the internet and checked that my flight was on time and that there was still a vacant seat next to me. I did not need to leave until 10:00 and just pottered around listening to my CD’s and surfing FT for a while.

I packed my bags, showered and made ready for the trip to SFO International Airport.
On the way in I noticed such lovely places as Cow Palace and Monster Park appear on the freeway exit signs. They do conjure up some interesting mental images.

Arrived at the AA terminal and walked inside to the F check-in desks which were manned by a total of 1 person with a queue of 8 DYKWIA folks looking a little disgruntled. Another agent showed up a few minutes later and the line started to move along nicely. Within 5 minutes I was at the desk and proffered my passport and ticket to the agent. She checked me in gave me my BP for seat 2A and told me we would be leaving from gate 65. I asked if there was an Admirals Club and she said there was at gate 62.

On the way to security I noticed that my AA FF number showed on the BP which is not what I wanted. So despite the RTW agent I rang a week or so ago setting up each sector with the FF number I wanted for each something still went wrong. I decided to leave dealing with this matter until I reached the AC as I am told they seem to know more about these things than the check-in agents.

The premium security line was short and I was through in minutes. I was the chosen one to go through the puffer machine which was a first for me. Blimey those things really puff quite strongly. They also take their sweet time deciding if you are a good egg or a bad egg. Finally the contraption let me out and I retrieved my bag, shoes, coat, laptop, kitchen sink that had all been taken out for screening.

Off to the AC which was at least a 2 minute walk away. Once inside I asked the agent to change my FF number to my BA number. She pulled up the PNR and said ‘My there are a lot of segments on here’. Now I hope she did the job correctly or I will be pretty peeved. I have painstakingly assigned which of my AA or BA FF accounts each of the flights on my trip are supposed to go to for maximum, miles vs. tier points.

I walked further into the lounge to find it was rather a higgledy piggledy type affair seemingly squished into some space someone put together by merging several closets.
On offer (if you can call it that) were corn chips, pretzels, coffee and water (not bottled). There was also a pay bar oh and just to prove that AA don’t only cater for clogged artery salt filled junk food audience there were some apples.
I grabbed a coffee and a couple of chips and sat down for a while in the NO PHONES area - yippeee. Of course Mr “I can’t stand still whilst talking on my phone” was wandering in and out of the area attempting to peeve as many of the AC inhabitants as he could with 1 phone call.

About 35 minutes before my flight I hoofed it to the gate and joined the line and was onboard within a minute.

Flight AA16 SFO – JFK Seat 2A
Departure time: 12:00
Date: April 19, 2006
Aircraft: 767 – 200

The rest of the F cabin had already boarded but despite this I was actually able to find some overhead space for my bag.
My jacket was taken as soon as I sat down and OJ, champagne (sparkling wine) and water was offered. Ha, tricked ya, I asked for some OJ.
I finished my drink 25 minutes prior to our scheduled departure but was not offered another. Menus were handed out prior to pushing back.

The doors were closed and we pushed back 4 minutes early at 11:56

I said my goodbyes to SFO as we flew out past the city. About 10 minutes later we flew past another of my previous haunts, the lovely Lake Tahoe.I would say it was a good half hour before we were offered our first drink and some nuts. Yes this time you are right I opted for the sparkling wine which the FA’s insisted in calling champagne. I can tell you it ain’t no Alfred Gratien.

Individual DVD players were offered which I knocked back as I am ‘this close’ to home in my novel and wanting to see what happens in the end!

After my first glass of bubbles was empty I checked my watch to see how long it would be before I was asked if I would like any more. No sooner had I looked up again and the FA was filling my glass. So far so good.
Now there was a big jar of nuts sitting on the ledge at the front of the cabin but no one offered me more when I had finished mine. I am sure if I had have asked I could have had and yet again the AA don’t offer but you will get if you ask theory of mine was being proven.

At around 13:00 hot nappy wipes were handed out and again I ended up with bits of fluff where they shouldn’t be.

Soon after lunch was served.
LUNCH

TO START

Warm mixed Nuts

BREAD BASKET (with one type of bread in it as it turns out)

ENTREES

We offer a selection of Creamy Cilantro Dressing or Olive Oil Vinaigrette to accompany your salad.

SOUP DU JOUR

Navy Bean with Portobello Mushrooms to accompany your entrée selection

LEMON-MARINATED CHICKEN SALAD
Grilled Breast of Chicken garnished with Goat Cheese and Strawberries served over fresh seasonal Greens

ROAST BEEF SANDWHICH
Warm Roast Beef Sandwich topped with Provolone Cheese served with a Salad and Dressing of your choice

THE DESSERT CART

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream with a choice of Hot Fudge, Butterscotch or seasonal Fruit Toppings and fresh Whipped Cream

Or

FRUIT ‘N CHEESE PLATE

A selection of seasonal Fruit and fine Cheeses

WINE LIST

SPARKLING WINE

Domaine Chandon Napa Valley Brut

WHITE WINES

Buena Vista Carneros Reserve Chardonnay

Forest Glen California Pinot Grigio

RED WINES

Lambert Bridge Sonoma County Merlot

Equus California Shiraz

DESSERT WINE

Graham’s Six Grapes Port NV

Oh I noticed on the back of the menu that the AA wine consultant is one Dr. Richard Vine – made me giggle.

I opted for the beef sandwich which was served on the same tray and at the same time as the soup. The bread basket containing a variety of one type of bread was offered. Then the salad cart came around. The FA tossed some leaves and optionally tomato, peppers, olives and onion and dressed with the Cilantro dressing if requested. The vinaigrette dressing was handed to you in a small bottle. Note that it was plastic cutlery too!
After serving all the food wine was offered and I opted for the merlot which was quite nice. It was even refilled a couple of times whilst I was eating.

After the tray was cleared the dessert cart was wheeled out. I chose the ice cream with butterscotch sauce hold the cholesterol. I also grabbed a cup of java at this time.

Oh also on the nicely presented tray was this product placement item for our enjoyment and salt fix. Quite bizarre really given the pretence made with the salad tossing ceremony and dessert service made at your seat from the cart.

Water bottles were given out when the lunch remains were cleared.

After the lunch service the service was almost non existent. No more second snack as there used to be a few years back in J. The FA came out once during the remaining 3.5 hours to offer water. No popping back to see how your F pax are doing and if they need anything else. It was quite shoddy really and the main reason why I am disillusioned with this flight.
Eventually about 45 minutes prior to our arrival at JFK I took my empty water bottle up to the galley and asked for a drink. Yet again adding fuel to my theory of don’t offer, you must ask service on AA.

We landed at around 20:05 and with the flight over I walked out into the spanking new T9 at JFK. What a lovely space like most new airports was open and airy. When I think about LHR I just say roll on 2008 when T5 opens up.

I walked a mile to the baggage claim area and awaited my bag. Eventually the beast roared into action and within a few minutes my bag appeared. So at least AA get the priority baggage tags bit right.

Ok that is it for number 4. Tomorrow sees me doing a two hop back to the other side of the NA continent to visit an FA friend of mine in YVR via DFW.

Last edited by Moomba; Apr 22, 2006 at 12:42 am
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Moomba

The premium security line was short and I was through in minutes. I was the chosen one to go through the puffer machine which was a first for me. Blimey those things really puff quite strongly. They also take their sweet time deciding if you are a good egg or a bad egg. Finally the contraption let me out and I retrieved my bag, shoes, coat, laptop, kitchen sink that had all been taken out for screening.
I had the machine back in November, and I must admit on the one hand I found quite embarrasing as everyone looks at you inside the machine, sort of "spot the criminal". On the other hand it is speedier than a lot of the manual searches (especially ORD).

The report is enjoyable.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:25 am

First of all thank you for the wonderful report. Concerning the "new" service in first on AA transcon I have one word....PATHETIC.... Lunch has really gone downhill. In fact AA should be ashamed of their attempts at cost cutting... Imagine a roast beef sandwich for lunch for $2300..( cost of one way first class ticket in AA transcon first on 767-200 )....
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: skymiles,
Wow - what a thorough trip report! I am enjoying it tremendously and can't wait for the next segment.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:25 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Great report... Cant wait for more
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:13 pm
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
Individual DVD players were offered which I knocked back as I am ‘this close’ to home in my novel and wanting to see what happens in the end!
Were you reading anything good?
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Part 5 - LGA - DFW - YVR

Yesterday and today are the pure mileage run portions of the North American portion of my RTW. After flying west to east yesterday today sees me hop on two flights to get me back to the west. Well, north-west actually with my routing finding me flying LGA – DFW - YVR.

I left my hotel in the shuttle bus provided by the hotel and was at the airport by 11:25. I walked straight up to an empty first desk and checked in. I noticed that one of the two BP’s didn’t have my FF number on it and pointed this out. The agent then pulled up the record and said, ‘my you are doing a lot of flying?’. She said that it depends on how the numbers are entered as to whether they end up where you want them. So yet again the attempt by the AA aadvantage agent to set up the FF numbers on these flights failed miserably. Anyway with BP reprinted with FF number on it I was set to go and headed for the security line. The lines were very short and I was on my way to the admiral’s club.

When checking in with the AC dragon she informed me of weather problems in the DFW area and to not be surprised if there were delays. She didn’t offer me any drink vouchers but I wasn’t in the mood anyway.

I found the phone free zone again and sat down to read the paper. Having learnt my lesson previously I headed to the gate 40 minutes before the flight in order to get on the flight and find room for my bag.
After hovering at the gate for a while we started to board and I quickly stowed my bag and took my seat.

Flight AA743 LGA – DFW Seat 5A
Departure time: 13:00
Date: April 20, 2006
Aircraft: 737

As boarding was coming to a close the FA offered us pre-flight drinks.
Push back was 6 minutes early at 12:54.
After take off drinks and warm nuts were offered from the cart by the FA. When she got to the back of the F cabin she then took orders for lunch so again FEBO was observed.
On offer were:

Turkey Croissant

Or

Chicken and pasta

Both were cold and served with a salad.

It was very cold in the F cabin and a lot of the F pax were complaining.

At around 14:10 the captain announced that there was going to be some chop for the following 45 minutes and asked the FA to suspend their service. During this period of chop the view outside the aircraft was enthralling to say the least.

By the time the FA was up and about again I was checking out the inside of my eyelids. My poor body clock was by this time so stuffed up I am sure it had no idea what time of day it was or thought it was. Outside the view had changed from whiteout to fluffy.

This dozing caused me to miss the nappy wipe distribution.

I had chosen the turkey for lunch which was served with herb vinaigrette, a cheese (if you can call it that) spread, crackers and some shortbreads. Surely it is about time someone made a law about what can and can’t be called cheese. The muck that is served with the AA in-flight meals is truly disgusting and any semblance to real cheese is purely in name only. I was offered wine with the meal and I chose some of the white.
The FA came through the cabin several more times offering top ups of the wine which on this 3 hour 45 minute flight was far better service than the previous days experience.

We arrived at 15:45 which left me only 45 minutes to get from terminal C to D at DFW. I walked over to the lovely airy and spacious D terminal and made my way to the other end where gate D15 and my 757 bound for YVR was waiting.

I hovered around the gate area for a few minutes and then boarding was announced. I quickly boarded, stowed my bag and took my seat.

Flight AA887 DFW - YVR Seat 4F
Departure time: 16:32
Date: April 20, 2006
Aircraft: 757

This was the first of my AA domestic flights that was not completely full up the front. I was just about to say in F but on this flight it was called business. I don’t know why they call the flights to Canada business as it is the same as the (dis) service as they rest of their NA operations.
No pre-flight drinks were offered and we pushed back on time for our 3 hour 55 minute flight. The snack meal order was taken before we took off and FEBO was observed.

On offer were:

Turkey Croissant

Or

Chicken and pasta

Both were cold and served with a salad.

About 45 minutes into the flight the 2 FA’s serving up front came through with the drinks cart and some of those lovely warm nuts. Just in case you haven’t seen enough of my warm nuts here is another picture.
A second drink was offered not long after which was accepted by yours truly.

Now I am not sure whether this was because of us heading for the Hollywood of the North, or because Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was the movie for the flight, but there was an interesting ceremony when the hot nappy wipes were handed out.
The FA came through the cabin with a tray of wipes on which was also a glass with some liquid and dry ice in it causing the bubbly, smoky effect. Most amusing.

Since this snack flight had exactly the same meal as the lunch flight I had just gotten off I decided to go for the chicken this time. Oh and yes it was the same chicken snack dish I had on the ORD-SFO run a couple of days earlier.

The chicken was served with the same excuse for cheese, crackers, Greek vinaigrette and walnut cookies.

The service throughout the remainder of the flight was much better again than my previous flights including the now infamous (well at least in my mind) SFO-JFK trip.

Extra drinks were offered throughout the flight and coffee and liquors after the remains of the snack was cleared away.

The flight was mostly smooth as we flew across the US heading north-west as the scenery below changed to mountains and snow.

We landed at 18:30 into beautiful Vancouver which is one of my most favourite places on this planet. We deplaned quickly and walked through the still very new looking YVR airport complete with waterfalls and forest emulations. This airport has to be one of the most attractive entrances to any country I have visited.
Immigrations were waiting for me to arrive and I walked straight up to a free agent.

I waited for my luggage to arrive which it did around 10 minutes later and then proceeded out to meet my friend.

So that is the end of the first set of flights on my RTW trip. The next episode will commence on September 22nd.

I have purchased a round trip separate ticket from YVR – LGW via DFW in Why but have upgraded all sectors using a couple of my AA EVIP certificates.

As it is still part of this round the world experience I will probably write a report to cover my getting back to the UK. So you should look out for that one sometime Sunday evening UK time.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by RTW4
First of all thank you for the wonderful report. Concerning the "new" service in first on AA transcon I have one word....PATHETIC.... Lunch has really gone downhill. In fact AA should be ashamed of their attempts at cost cutting... Imagine a roast beef sandwich for lunch for $2300..( cost of one way first class ticket in AA transcon first on 767-200 )....
While I realize it is only airplane food, what amazes me most is the lack of any effort on the part of AA FAs to provide even the most basic of service. AA FAs I have found are the worst in the industry.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by SethLevy
AA FAs I have found are the worst in the industry.
This has long been established.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Moomba
Now I am not saying it was a bad flight or a bad experience in general. Just that I expected more than J with a portable DVD player when travelling on these 3 class domestic services. I am positive that given other options I would never pay for an F seat on a 3 class domestic flight with AA. It is surely not worth the extra cost over a business class seat.
You've said it a lot better than I did in my trip report - I felt much the same with UA 3-class domestic (see my current trip report). Very underwhelming.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Part 6 YVR - DFW - LGW

OK so this is technically not part of my RTW in that it is not the same ticket, but it is part of the whole experience. As I mentioned in my last tome I have split my RTW up doing this first North American stint this last week and the remaining flights will be in September / October this year.

In order to accomplish this I needed to somehow get myself from YVR to London again so that I can go back to work – yippee. So by routing myself through the US back to London I was able to secure business class seats on AA all the way but only paying for Why using my EVIP certificates.
This report is of the journey home, slumming it in Business class.

This morning did not start well. I had organised to stay at a hotel near the airport as I wanted to get there early in order to clear US immigrations in YVR. I had booked the shuttle bus for 06:30 and was already running late by the time I jumped on the bus. Just as I did so I did the usual heart, bum pat test and realised I didn’t have my wallet with me. So off the bus I get, unload my bags and wave goodbye to the 06:30 shuttle.
I went back into the hotel and started to look through my bags and 30 seconds later located my wallet. Only now the bus was gone. Oh well at least it was only a 30 minute wait for the next one.

I jumped on the next bus and was at YVR by 07:20 for my 08:45 flight. I walked straight up to an available agent and was checked in quickly. I then dragged my tagged bag through to the US immigrations people. The lines here were also light and I was through within 5 minutes. Oh well it was a Saturday and you never can tell with these queues at US immigrations at the various Canadian airports I have been through. Sometimes it is 45 minutes others 5. Anyways, next I drop off my tagged bag and head to security which was a little busier. I then realised that YVR has a fast track for security in the form of a sticker on the BP. I showed the line dragon and she waived me through the crew line and I was all done and dusted within a couple of minutes.

There is no AA lounge at YVR so I walked around for a bit and then sat in the glorious sunshine that was streaming in through the big windows of the YVR terminal building.
The time quickly went by when the gate agent announced boarding for Business class passengers. I then proceeded to board my flight to Dallas Fort Worth.

Flight AA282 YVR – DFW Seat 3F
Departure time: 08:45
Date: April 22, 2006
Aircraft: 757

As I boarded one of the other J passengers said to the FA ‘ex TWA no in-seat power?’ She said ‘you got it’.
The seats were cloth covered instead of the usual grey leather I had experienced on other AA 757 aircraft.

Not long before we were to take off the Captain came out and stood at the front and announced over the PA that the auxiliary power unit on the plane was cactus hence the reason why it was so cold when we started to board. He informed us that a portable power supply was made available and now the back of the bus was very hot. He also told us that the engines needed a top up of oil and the engineers were in the process of doing this. It would be 5 or 10 minutes before we would be underway.

Also he explained that because of the stuffed aux power unit we would have to have the engines started from ground based units at the gate. Later he informed us that we could only start the right engine at the gate and would have to push back onto the tarmac to start the other engine.

During this delay pre-flight drinks were offered up front.

We pushed back at 09:10 and had the second engine started. Then a long taxi over to the other side of the airport before taking off at 09:25.

A first drink was offered followed up with the hot nappy wipes.
I said my goodbyes to the mountains not long after we took off.

The breakfast was served from the front to the back thus observing FEBO rules again.
On offer for breakfast were:

Cheese Omelette

Or

Pancakes

I chose the omelette which was served with sautéed potatoes and a bowl of fresh fruit. A choice of scone or bagel was offered with the meal and I opted for the bagel with some cream cheese.

The flight was not full again in J and I had a spare seat next to me which was nice.

The FA’s were reasonably attentive in that they came through several times during the flight but again it was ‘ask and you shall receive’ rather than then offering further drinks etc.

We landed at 14:53 local time in DFW and made our way to gate D37 in the new terminal. Yet again we had to wait until someone showed up to move the air bridge to the aircraft. A few minutes later I was off and heading for the lounge.

I decided to have a look at the BA lounge at DFW and made my way past the Admirals Club and onto the Club House where several airline clubs are located. Downstairs is a little private entrance for the clubs.
I went up and was directed to the BA club room and walked in to a very crowded and small space. I quickly exited again and opted for the AC which was nearer my departure gate. No photos of the inside of the BA lounge as it was far too crowded.

Back at the huge AC in T4 I got my free drink coupon and noticed the Bombay on the shelf and could look no further. Drink in hand I went to sit down for an hour in the nice new lounge.
There was not a lot on offer in the food department. Only purchased items plus biscuits, apples, tea and coffee were available. Not even the ever present pretzels were on display. There were computers connected to the internet at both ends of the complex, a smoking room, a children’s room and a library.

I made my way to the gate for the 16:20 boarding time to find a mass of people on the completely full flight to LGW. Of course we didn’t start boarding at 16:20. Boarding eventually started at 16:40 for the 17:05 flight.

Flight AA50 DFW - LGW Seat 10J
Departure time: 17:05
Date: April 22, 2006
Aircraft: 777

I boarded early and had no problem finding overhead space for my bag. I settled back and watched the throngs file past to the back of the aircraft.
A pre-flight drinks service was offered of bubbly, OJ or water. OK, OK yes I did have the bubbles so I’m a lush.
Menus were handed out prior to take off and a few minutes later the FA came through and introduced herself and asked for our dinner preference. FEBO was observed.

The captain came on the blower and announced there would be a short delay as the engineering crew were still doing their checks on the aircraft for it's next over water trip. It had just come in from NRT and they were a little behind schedule in getting the pre-flight checks done. He also informed us that we would have flying time of 8 hours and 40 minutes. The current temperature at DFW was 29C (84F) and in London it was 9C (54F).

We eventually took off at 17:41 and left a sunny Dallas behind us.

After take off the AA nuts and drinks service was offered. Yes that is champagne in my glass. A little while later my glass was re-filled and just in case you have seen enough of my warm nuts yet, more were dispensed onto my plate.
During the nutfest I noticed this peculiar sight out the window. The sunset on the other side of the plane and the fluffy clouds gave this really lovely effect. No that is not my camera not focusing correctly. The horizon actually looked like that.

The BOSE headsets were given out pretty soon after take off and I proceeded to plug it into my Ipod where it stayed for the whole flight.

After an hour or so the dinner was served.

The menu was as follows:

TO START

Warm mixed nuts

APPETIZER

Grilled Citrus Scallops served with marinated Cucumber Salad

SALAD

Fresh seasonal Greens with Tomato wedges, Olives, Onions and Yellow Bell Pepper, offered with Sour Cream and Herb Dressing or Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar

BREAD BASKET

Assorted warm Breads

ENTREES

BEEF FILLET
Fillet of Beef featured with a Red Wine Onion Sauce, accompanied by Cilantro Mashed Potatoes, grilled Asparagus and roasted Tomatoes

BARBECUE CHICKEN
Breast of Chicken flavoured by a Barbecue Marinade served with mild Jalapeno Mashed Potatoes and creamed Corn

FILLET OF COD
Fillet of Cod enhanced with Haricots Verts, Mushrooms and Chive Mashed Potatoes

PASTA DUO
Cheese Ravioli and Cheese Tortellini complemented by a Pesto Alfredo Sauce and a Marinara Sauce

VEGETABLE PLATE
Seasonal selection including Cilantro Mashed Potatoes, grilled Asparagus and roasted Tomatoes

DESSERTS
Saga Blue and Jarlsberg Cheese accompanied by seasonal Grapes, Walnuts and selected Crackers

Or

Chocolate Ice Cream with Blackberry Sauce topped with White Chocolate and Raspberry Brulee Squares

WINE LIST

CHAMPAGNE

Pommery Brut Champagne
WHITE WINE

Raymond California Chardonnay

Grove Mill Marlborough New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc

RED WINE

Château Cantemerle

Rosemount Diamond Estate Bottled Shiraz

SHERRY

Emilio Lustau Sherry

DESSERT WINE

Graham’s Vintage Port

The starter was presented with the salad on the tray first and was quite tasty. I opted for a glass of the NZ Sauvignon Blanc as I just adore any of these wines from the Marlborough region.
After I had finished this the salad plate was removed and replaced shortly thereafter with the chicken dish. Despite its appearance looking something akin to baby vomit the creamed corn and mashed potatoes with the chicken went quite well.
My wine was filled up several times during the dinner service.
After the dinner remains were cleared away the dessert cart came around and I opted for the cheese this time and what do you know it was real cheese. This was accompanied by coffee and some of the delicious port.

The cabin lights were dimmed and most passengers then attempted to get some shut eye. I have never been able to sleep well on the business class seat on AA as I prefer the flat bed (horizontal or not) as I can curl up better on those. None the less I still managed to sleep fitfully for a few hours during the flight.

Around one and half hours out of London breakfast was served.

CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST

Fresh seasonal Fruit

From our breakfast cart:

Yogurt (sic)

Cereal

Assorted Breakfast Breads

I chose the cereal which was Special K and a glass of OJ to start the morning. This was served with either a croissant or english muffin.

After clearing away breakfast the BOSE headsets were collected and preparation for landing commenced.

We landed at 08:25 and I made my way to the Fast Track line at LGW which was manned by one person. The queue for foreign passport holders was being serviced by 6 agents and people that joined that queue after me cleared immigrations before I did. So much for Fast Track BAA – pick up your game folks.

I made it down to the baggage claim area before my bag appeared. When it eventually did so I grabbed it breezed through customs and headed to the South terminal to catch a train home. Oh and true to form it was raining when I got back to London. Typical!

So there you have it. My faith in AA has been restored on this last flight as the service was excellent and the food and wine quite acceptable. It seems the domestic service on AA has hit rock bottom and could do with a bit of a shake up. So too could the FA’s that work those routes. I used to fly AA quite a lot domestically when I was working in the US a few years ago and I seem to recall they were once quite a good domestic carrier. Tis a shame.

So next up is my return flight LGW-DFW-YVR in J which you will have to wait until September for that instalment. This will be followed up by 9 sectors in F on CX, 3 domestic J on QF and two more F on BA. I can’t wait!

If you are really nice I might write a report on my CX J LHR - HKG - SYD in July or my F miles redemption flight to YYZ in May on AA, since I chickened out at the start of this trip

P.S. I will see if I can get some more practice in with my new camera and work out how to get it to focus better for those dimly lit food shots.

Last edited by Moomba; Apr 24, 2006 at 6:52 am Reason: Added post script

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.