Wiki Posts
Search

One World RTW in First

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
One World RTW in First

I thought I might add an index at the start of this post to help you find the reports as I add them.

PICTURES:- It seems Shutterfly have rendered the addresses imbedded in this report useless. I have added the complete set of picture to this page on Shutterfly.

Part 1 CAI-LHR (this page) April 2
Part 2 LHR-AUS April 14
Part 3 SAT-SFO April 17
Part 4 SFO-JFK April 19
Part 5 LGA-YVR April 20
Part 6 YVR-LGW April 22
Part 7 LGW-HKG September 21
Part 8 HKG-NRT September 24
Part 9 NRT-HKG September 26
Part 10 HKG-SIN September 27
Part 11 SIN-KUL-SIN (SQ) September 28/30
Part 12 SIN-HKG-ADL September 30
Part 13 ADL-DRW-PER October 2
Part 14 PER-MEL October 5
Part 15 MEL-HKG-LHR October 8/9
Part 16 LHR-CAI December 22

Preamble. Last August I purchased a One World Round the World Ticket in First that, for reasons of pricing, was ticketed out of Cairo in Egypt. This is the first of what I intend to be many reports on that trip. If you have the endurance of a long distance runner and yen for the pedantic then read on.

Other wise click the links to view the pics.

Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep. What? Huh? Oh God is it 04:55 already? Yes this is how my RTW in F started in the Sheraton Cairo. Bleary eyed I got out of bed and prepared to perform the morning ablution. A few seconds later a human rang my phone for the wake up call I had ordered prior to going to sleep, perchance to dream.
I had a quick shower and was brushing my pegs, when the phone rang again. This time it was a non-human giving me a wake up call. Oh well better two than none.
I checked out of the hotel and jumped into the car for the journey to the airport.

The journey time at 5:25 in the morning was around 35 minutes. Interesting note about Cairo drivers – they are all lunatics. Oh my god the dotted line down the middle of the road does not separate vehicles into orderly rows. No, no, no it is the line down which you point the vehicle. If someone gets in your way you flash your high beams and push your way through. I managed to survive the journey with my underpants unsoiled thank goodness. The airport looks more like some military facility with armed guards checking out the cars as they enter.

I headed into the building and through the first set of security screening, where they checked my ticket and passport, before getting to the check in desk. I headed to the First desk and plonked my wad of tickets down on the counter with my passport. The agent checked me into seat 2A for my flight to London Heathrow. Along with my BP he gave me the immigrations form to fill out and an invitation to the EAS lounge.

After duly filling out the immigrations form I headed for Passport control. I was quickly processed and after passing the booth was required to show my Passport again to another official. This entertaining gentleman checked my passport and then asked me to go back the way I came from. He then smiled and pointed to the stairs up to the gates. I smiled back and told him he was cheeky.

Terminal 2 at Cairo is much like everything else at Cairo. Was once new and is now old and tired. I popped into the duty free store only to find that my particular beverage of choice was not that cheap, so I left it behind.
I wandered on through the terminal past a few more gold and trinket type shops to a food court type arrangement that sits in the middle of a circular section of gates. There is not a lot of seating available for those unfortunates not entitled to use of the airport lounge. I back tracked a little and made my way into the EAS lounge where my invitation was taken and I was waived in to enjoy the lounge's calm surroundings. There were a lot of leather seats a newspaper rack, a beverage and food bar that had non alcoholic beverages and some breakfast pastries. Around 6:50 I headed up to the gate, had my passport checked again and boarding pass taken. I then went through yet another security check point where my bag was very sloppily searched. I finally made my way to the actual boarding ramp where another official checked my passport again!
On to the plane at last and was told to ‘turn left’. Oh those two little words near and dear to the heart of many an FT’er.

Flight BA 154 CAI – LHR Seat 2A
Departure time: 07:20
Date: April 02, 2006
Aircraft: 777

After boarding the First FA, Mark came to collect my jacket to stow away for the flight. He then came back and asked me if I would like something to drink. I replied with ‘Is it too early for Champagne?’ His response was ‘It is never too early for Champagne’ and headed off on his cork popping mission. A little later he returned with some Macadamia nuts on a plate and my glass of Champagne.
After the rest of the flight had boarded, and the First passengers were all safely ensconced in our First cocoons, the CSD (Geoff) came around and introduced himself to us. He had a brief chat with each F passenger whilst handing out the First menus. At this point he informed us that they were one crew member short on the flight and that he would be working the F cabin with Mark.

The captain announced that we would be late leaving as ATC at LHR had asked us to stay put for about 15 minutes.
Three glasses of champagne later we eventually left the gate at 07:45 and were in the air just on 08:00. As we were taxiing I noticed these gems by the side of the runway.
Hot towels did the rounds soon after take off and more bubbles made there way to my seat. I asked for some of the First PJ’s to get into as I was determined to make the most of this my first BA flight in First. I changed into the jim jams and handed my clothes back to Mark who put them on a hanger and stowed them for me.
I was asked if I wanted brunch served now. I said I would start with some cereal and we would see how it went from there.

The menu:

STARTERS
Chilled fruit juice

An energising fruit smoothie

A selection of fruit or plain yoghurts and cereals

Fresh seasonal fruit platter

Smoked salmon

A wide selection of breakfast pastries and rolls

MAIN
Traditional mixed grill with freshly scrambled eggs, grilled veal sausages, sweetcorn cakes, rosti potatoes, mushrooms and tomatoes

Chilled Mediterranean meze with aubergine salad, olives, Feta cheese, tomatoes, prawns and lemon

Courgette and cheese frittata with asparagus

Warm grilled salmon on cucumber, red onion and cherry tomato salad with herb dressing

DESSERT
Warm Egyptian biscuits and pastries

SNACKS
A selection of filled rolls featuring egg with tomato, salmon with cucumber, chicken with roast pepper and Swiss cheese with celery

Fresh rigatoni pasta with your choice of tomato and roast red pepper sauce or Gorgonzola cheese and mushroom sauce

Duchy of Cornwall biscuits

FRUIT
A basket of fresh fruit

Your choice of
Espresso, cappuccino, coffee, decaffeinated coffee, tea, mint tea or herbal tea

CHAMPAGNE
Alfred Gratien Cuvée Paradis

WHITE WINES
Puligny-Montrachet Les Enseigničres 2003, Domaine Roux Pčre et Fils

Three Choirs Estate Reserve Bacchus 2004

Or

Alsace Riesling Grand Cru Florimont 2003, Kuehn

Spier Private Collection Sauvignon Blanc 2005, Stellenbosch

RED WINES
Château Beychevelle 1995, Grand Cru Classé Saint-Julien

Modus 2000, Tenimenti Ruffino, Toscana

Simonsig Tiara 2000, Stelllenbosch

DESSERT WINES
Clos Labčre 1999, Sauternes

Warre’s 1988 Colheita Port

I had almost scoffed down the cereal, smoothie and coffee before remembering that I had to give my new toy a work out to enable pictures to accompany this report. So rather than the shiny untouched look of most FT reports photos you are going to get the warts and all half eaten photos of my breakfast.
After eating I decided I would go a main at this time also as I was surprisingly awake.
I ordered the frittata which as Mark informed me would be about 15 minutes as he had just popped it into the oven.
So with my glass miraculously full of bubbly stuff I sat back and awaited the rest of my breakfast.
The huge slab of frittata arrived along with a bread roll basket and of course more champagne found its way into my glass.

After dining I had decided to lay back and snooze but alas sleep was not forthcoming. In the meantime most of the rest of the F zone was a Z zone.

Oh, well more champagne if you please. Well actually I never needed to ask as my glass was kept constantly full by either the Geoff or Mark. Every time Geoff came to fill my glass we would chat a bit more about travel and about my upcoming trip. I think he was happy to have a passenger who was willing to chat with him for a while. At one point Mark came up to him and took the bottle of champagne from him and told him ‘you have probably warmed it up 3 degrees whilst hanging on to it here’.
A fellow FT member has this theory that drinking good champagne doesn’t give you a hangover. Well I think Mark and Geoff were inadvertently putting that theory into practice using me as the subject matter. I was only too willing a subject. Several times as my glass was being filled I made some comments and got back various replies from both Mark and Geoff. They were along the lines of ‘it is bad luck to leave some in the bottle’, or ‘you deserve it’. Or I would just look and Mark would say ‘go on’. I told them they were bad people but it made no difference.
I have no idea how much I drank but on the five and a bit hour flight my glass was never empty. I am here seven hours later typing this report with no ill effects at all. So Flyclub I hereby subscribe to your theory wholeheartedly.

During the flight I opened the shutter to reveal what I assume to be the French alps.

Around one hour before we were due to arrive at LHR I thought I had better add some more solid matter to my stomach to counter the liquid contents. So as other passengers were hoeing into their breakfast after having stirred from their slumber, I asked for the dessert biscuits. The plate of pastries and delectable biscuits was enough to feed two people. Needless to say I did not eat them all (and forgot to take photographic evidence as well).

By this time the forty minute warning was announced by the captain. As I was waiting for a lavatory to become vacant I mentioned to Mark that one had been occupied for quite a while. He said oh that is his highness! Not only was I living like royalty on this flight I was travelling with royalty. It seems the occupant of one of the seats in Row 4 was a member of the Saudi Royal family.

When I got back to my seat after changing my glass of champagne was somehow full again.
All too soon it was over (thank god you say what a long drawn out report this is), apart from the obligatory circulatory aerial tour of South London which lasted at least fifteen minutes. As the captain said, I don’t know why they kept us at the gate in Cairo when they just had us fly in circles here anyway!
We landed and as I left the CSD said his goodbyes using my name which was a nice touch.

I quickly made my way through immigrations and customs and headed up to the Arrivals lounge for a cup of java and a pot of yoghurt. I then picked up my things hopped the HEX and headed out to a surprisingly sunny London day.

OK, that is it for now. I am not sure I can keep this up for a whole 20 sectors of my RTW. I am also not sure if anyone has the stamina to read 19 more of these missives.
I apologise for the yahoo add site where my pics are stored. If anyone has any suggestions for a better place to host please let me know. Also I hope to get a little more click happy. I am still getting used to having the new toy come along for the ride.

Stay tuned. Next flight April 14.

Last edited by Moomba; May 29, 2010 at 8:05 am Reason: Added Index
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Nice one, Moomba I hate to say it, but I think flyclub's theory is sound If one sticks just to champagne of course Glad you enjoyed your first proper FIRST, and look forward to reading the future reports. Happy travels! ^

Phil
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Moomba
I am also not sure if anyone has the stamina to read 19 more of these missives
You bet we do. Brilliant report Moomba!!!
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
Great report, Moomba ^

Managed to bring back memories (Cairo traffic ) AND bump up my anticipation levels (next BA F flight Tue 11th ) at the same time!
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:05 pm

Took this same flight in F on Jan 27 with exact same menu. Thanks for the memories.... I really enjoyed the mezze plate....
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I apologise for the yahoo add site where my pics are stored. If anyone has any suggestions for a better place to host please let me know. Also I hope to get a little more click happy. I am still getting used to having the new toy come along for the ride.
Try www.imageshack.us as you can embed the photos in the reports like I have been doing recently. Free, with unlimited bandwidth (well 100MB per image per hour) it is a good 'un....
Old Apr 2, 2006, 5:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Nice report so far moomba ^
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:39 pm

Great Report! I know when I fly BA FIRST I always try to test the "good champagne rule." I will be there for your next nineteen flights and, would you kindly tell us what type of aircraft is used on each section.
Keep up the good work. ^
Old Apr 2, 2006, 7:51 pm

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
OK, that is it for now. I am not sure I can keep this up for a whole 20 sectors of my RTW. I am also not sure if anyone has the stamina to read 19 more of these missives.

I could do that easy.I like your style ^
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
If you have the endurance of a long distance runner and yen for the pedantic then read on.
Oh yeah! I do love a good, long, well detailed trip report. That menu brought back fond memories of my own recent experiences in BA's FIRST. Thanks for a fine first segment - this has the makings of a Trip Reports Classic already! ^ ^

P.S. What's an Egyptian biscuit?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 2, 2006 at 10:38 pm
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the encouragement I will see if I can live up to my end of the deal.

Originally Posted by upgrade lover
would you kindly tell us what type of aircraft is used on each section.
Have updated the above and will remember to add this vital piece of information into future posts. How could I forget that?

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
P.S. What's an Egyptian biscuit?
It is biscuit in the British usage of the word. There were several pastry type concoctions as well as two shortbread type biscuits (cookies) with almond in them. There was also a baklava type delectable amongst the assortment which was oozing honey and riddled with pistachio pieces. ^

Oh and they were served warm - very nice

Last edited by Moomba; Apr 4, 2006 at 2:05 pm
Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Part 2 - LHR - AUS via LAX

Well, for some reason I got it into my head that I needed to change my next flight from an AA transatlantic to a BA transatlantic. I am not quite sure why I did this, perhaps it was something to do with the AA flight being chokka block (to use the Australian vernacular) full and the BA flights showing some spare seats in A class in the F cabin. Also the BA flight left an hour later so that would make my layover shorter at LAX.
So at 8:00pm London time I rang the AA ATW desk in the US and 5 minutes later I was booked on BA283 instead of AA137.
I was able to add my BA number to the flight segment whilst on the phone and a few minutes later the flight appeared on my MMB (Manage My Booking) page on BA.com.
I was able to check-in there and then and also managed to score the coveted seat 1A on the 747-400 that was to take me to LAX.

Good Friday morning I awoke at my usual 6ish time and got ready to head out to LHR. Of course I did the usual FT thing and checked the load on EF, checked the latest news on FT prior to lugging my bags to the local tube station.

Now of course this being Good Friday and an extra long weekend in London when there would be more people travelling that normal. In their infinite wisdom the tube management decided to do engineering work and mess up the lines to and from the major British Rail stations around London.
With a little creative tube travel planning I chose the best route with the least stairs and headed out to Paddington station. Here I boarded the Heathrow Express which was also working to a special timetable in order to be of most inconvenience to the travelling public at this busy time of year. The trains were every 20 minutes apart and took 10 minutes longer to reach the terminal due to engineering works on the line.

Eventually I was able to make my way to the calm serenity that is Zone R check-in for First, Business and OW status travellers. I walked up to the First desk and asked if I needed to get my ticket validated with the ticket desk as it still showed AA137 on my paper ticket.
The lovely agent rang the desk and obviously they informed her that indeed they needed to put their BA283 sticker on the ticket. She then excused herself and went to the ticket desk to have said task executed.
She came back within a few minutes and apologised for the wait.

Soon after I had my boarding pass in hand and went through to the very short security line and was processed within a couple of minutes.
Then a quick trip to the duty free store before making my way to the haven that is the BA First Lounge at LHR T1. I attempted to book myself a treatment at the MB spa but to no avail. Instead I opted to have a shower as I already felt quite sticky after lugging my luggage all over London. Hmm which of those two words came first?

I made my way the oh too familiar champagne bar and asked for a glass of the Alfred Gratien Rose. Can you imagine my complete shock and horror when told they had none left and were awaiting a delivery? Once I had gotten over the shock and my pulse returned to somewhat normalcy I then ordered the AG Cuvee Paradis. Some of you will remember that this was the Champagne that caused no pain that I was drinking in copious amounts on my LHR-CAI flight.
Now of course it is obligatory for any BA flyer to indulge in a bacon baguette in the F lounges and I am not one to buck a trend. Particularly if the trend involves food or wine!

Oh dear I do ramble on don’t I? Oh well the flight will commence shortly so fasten your seat belts and sit back and enjoy the service on Moomba airlines.

Oh one more thing before we commence our flight. As I was walking through the lounge I noticed a gentleman with the ellusive BA black card attached to his bag. He was later greeted by a lady from customer services and escorted to his aircraft.

After my wait in the lounge I headed out for the gate, which I think was one of the furthest away from the main part of T1. They started boarding within a few minutes of my arrival at the gate and there was a separate line for First, Business and OW Emerald and Sapphire customers.

Flight BA 283 LHR – LAX Seat 1A
Departure time: 11:55
Date April 14, 2006
Aircraft: 747-400

I made my way through and boarded the aircraft. At the door one of the two FA’s had gone off on some mission and the second asked me if I was OK to find my seat on my own. I was about to say yes when FA number 2 rocked back up and immediately escorted me to my seat, announcing to the F purser that Mr Moomba was on board. The ‘menu’ for the on demand video was at the seat and I quickly filled it in with my preferences.
Seconds later the F purser, (Sue IIRC) came to take my jacket and ask if I wanted a drink.
Now of course I don’t need to tell you all what I asked for, as you know me far too well already!

I was given some more champagne which was, once again, the deliciously drinkable Alfred Gratien Cuvee Paradis. At this time the menus and amenity kits were handed out.
We taxied out past the majestic bird only later to find my camera suffering from some focus problems. Must be a British camera it seemed more interested in focusing on the rain rather than the bird in the background.

Soon after take off I was offered some hors derves and more chapgane. As you can see the hors derves were very nice.

Soon afterwards, much to the disdain of Swanhunter I grabbed a sleeper suit to don for the 11.5 hour flight. This time I went for a medium size which turned out to be a much better fit than the large which I could have done ten lengths in.

The purser came around again to ask me when I would like my lunch served. I said I was hungry and would partake as soon as it was ready to eat. She took my order and said it would be around a 20 minute wait whilst it heated. I also gave her my movie preference form. Seconds later my first preference was delivered to my seat.
Somewhere in amongst all of this I am sure I was given more champagne to drink.

The menu:

LUNCH

STARTERS
Loch Fyne kinglas smoked salmon and caviar crčme fraîche

Paisarn Cheewinsiriwat’s Thai tempeh cakes with sweet chilli dipping sauce

Carrot and red lentil soup with orange crčme fraîche

Fresh salad leaves with your choice of tomato and basil oil dressing or mustard mayonnaise

MAIN
Fillet of beef with seared foie gras, glazed shallots and mushroom jus

Paisarn Cheewinsiriwat’s yellow lobster and green papaya curry with cucumber relish and lemon grass brown rice

Duchy of Cornwall free-range sausages, red onion jus and mashed potatoes

Salad of spicy chicken with warm tomato and cumin dressing

DESSERT

Banana tarte Tartin with vanilla ice cream

Shaun Hill’s white chocolate and strawberry terrine with shortbread biscuits and chunky strawberry coulis

SNACKS

Bacon roll served with tomato ketchup

Penne pasta with your choice of cherry tomato and basil sauce or Quattro formaggio sauce

Duchy of Cornwall biscuits

A selection of cheese and fruit

CHEESE PLATE

Quickes Cheddar – This full bodied cheese is made of cow’s milk by one of the famous cheesemakers in England

Oxford Blue – Soft and creamy with a mild flavour, this cheese is made with cow’s milk

Tornegus – This semi-hard unpasturised cheese is made from cow’s milk and herbs

A basket of fresh fruit

Your choice of
Espresso, cappuccino, coffee, decaffeinated coffee, tea, mint tea or herbal tea

AFTERNOON TEA

SNACKS

A selection of sandwiches featuring –
Prawn and dill
Free-range egg salad
Honey mustard chicken with spinach
Mature Cheddar cheese and tomato with red onion marmalade

Savoury Danish Pastry

PÂTISSERIE

Plain or fruit scones served warm with clotted cream and strawberry jam

Dundee cake, chocolate and orange Victoria sponge and coconut macaroon

CHAMPAGNE
Alfred Gratien Cuvée Paradis

WHITE WINES
Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos Saint Jean 2003, Paul Pillot

d’Arenburg “The Hermit Crab” Viogner Marsanne 2004, McLaren Vale

Renwood Select Series Viognier 2004

Or

Wente Riva Ranch Reserve Chardonnay 2003, Arroyo Seco

RED WINES
Château Talbot 1995, Grand Cru Calssé Saint-Julien

Beaune 1er Cru Champimonts 2001, Domaine Jacques Prieur

Treana Central Coast Red 2002, Paso Robles

DESSERT WINES
Clos Labčre 1999, Sauternes

Warre’s 1988 Colheita Port

I had ordered Thai fish cakes to start to be followed by fillet of beef. A couple of glasses of AG later my Thai fish cakes arrived on the scene. I ordered a glass of the ‘Hermit Crab’ thinking this was most apropos with the fish cakes.

The beef arrived a while after I had finished the fish cakes and I ordered a glass of the burgundy. Unfortunately the catering company failed to load the burgundy and I was offered a Modus 2000, Tenimenti Ruffino, Toscana in its stead. This was an acceptable substitute and went down well with the fillet.

I was on the way back from a bathroom break when the purser asked if I could be tempted with some dessert. I said I could be and ordered the terrine with a glass of sauternes. Oh by the way it is quite odd going to the loo on an aircraft where there is a window in there.

I scoffed the dessert down with the wine and by now you have probably noticed that I was suffering from a slight case of forgettus camerus as there are no pictures of my meal. I did remember the little item at this stage of the meal.

I watched one of the movies on the main channels before setting to the task of locating the secret compartment where the video on demand tape was supposed to be inserted. I eventually found the slot inserted the tape and what do you know video on demand!
After watching this second movie I felt drowsy (of course this had nothing whatsoever to do with the champagne consumption earlier in the flight) and unpacked the duvet, lowered the seat to the bed position and was out to it for a while.

Sometime later I awoke and was ready for more nosh. The purser and one other of the 3 crew up front were on their break and the remaining FA was reading when I went and asked if there was anything savoury I could nibble on before afternoon tea was served. She said I could raid the Business class larder if I liked. She untied the velvet rope separating us royalty from the minions in Business class and escorted me to the larder where I selected a sandwich. Sorry Swanhunter I know I committed the mortal sin of walking back into J in my First PJ’s. I humbly beg your forgiveness. In my defence I can only say that I was asked to go back there, was escorted by the first FA and I wasn’t holding a glass of champagne at the time.

I grabbed a sandwich and headed back to my seat in order to consume it. One must be careful not to linger too long down the back with the minions in case it starts to rub off.
Look I remembered to take a picture of the half consumed sandwich! And yes that is a cup of peppermint tea on the table.

An hour or two later afternoon tea was served and I scoffed down the sandwiches and most of the scones and cakes on offer with some, ah let me think, oh yes, champagne to wash it down with.
Once this was all cleared away and I finished watching movie number 3 I headed back to the loo with a view to change back into my clothes, which would need to keep me pretty as a picture for good few hours more whilst I back tracked to Austin.

As we came into LAX it was pouring with rain and I was quite amused at being able to hear the rain hitting the front of the aircraft. As seat 1A is right up in the nose of the 747-400 you can almost see forward as the windows curve inwards towards your feet.
We landed at 3:25pm local time and had to sit on the tarmac waiting for a gate. Then we had to wait for a tug and finally made it to our gate at 3:55.

Of course a flight from Asia landed just prior to ours and the queues at immigration were slow due to language problems. I of course picked the slowest lane, as I always seem to.
Eventually I was cleared into the baggage claim area where my bag was already doing circuits of the baggage carousel. I picked it up, went through customs and dropped my bag back at drop off point for connecting flights.

I then made my way one terminal over to T4 where AA do their business. I walked into the check-in area and nearly fainted. There was barely a soul to be seen. I have never seen it so empty – ever.
Needless to say I checked in and cleared security very quickly and was soon riding the elevator to the 2nd floor of the Admirals Club with the coveted plastic security door key which would give me access to the exclusive Flagship Lounge used my AA for their First customers.

Inside there was snack foods, crudités, some hot pastries, nuts and sandwiches along with a range of serve your self alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages.
I had a couple of hours so decided to freshen up by having a shower.
Soon enough it was time to board my Austin flight that was due to leave at 6:09 pm.

Flight AA2246 LAX – AUS Seat 4F
Departure time: 18:09
Date: April 14, 2006
Aircraft: MD-80

Boarding had already commenced when I reached the gate and I joined the queue and was on board within a minute. I could not find space in the overhead lockers as AA have a very liberal policy on policing the carry on allowance and all the rest of the first passengers had boarded and hogged the overhead space. When boarding had slowed down I asked the FA if there was somewhere I could stow my roll on bag. She found some room in the closet and I was sorted. This was one of the older (I think TWA) MD-80’s with the not so new seats that seemed shorter than the others I have sat in.
Pre flight drinks were offered in the usual AA plastic cups. We pulled back on time and headed out to taxi for takeoff.

As soon as the seat belt sign was off the FA was out taking orders for drinks. She then proceeded to make them up in the galley and bring them out along with the signature warm nuts. A second drink was offered before the dinner service began.

For dinner there was a choice of:

Chicken, spinach and mashed potato
or
Tortellini with roasted red pepper sauce

I opted for the chicken which was accompanied by a small plate of cesaer salad.
I was offered some foccacia or a wholemeal bread roll, I took the former. Also a glass of white wine was proffered which I accepted.

I took this out of the window at some point somewhere between LAX and AUS.

After the dinner was cleared away the pre-made ice cream sundaes were offered. I accepted one which was delicious.

We arrived early at AUS to find them all sleeping as we had to wait for someone to direct the aircraft into the stand. Then waited another 5 minutes until someone showed up to bring the jet bridge out to greet us.

My bag arrived promptly and I walked out into the lovely balmy night of Austin to be picked a few minutes later by my friend.
I was to spend the next two days in AUS and SAT catching up with friends before my next adventure to SFO via DFW and ORD.

Last edited by Moomba; May 4, 2006 at 12:40 am
Old Apr 18, 2006, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Part 3 - SAT - DFW - ORD - SFO

In keeping with the FT geeky nature of this trip I routed myself in a zig-zag pattern all over the United States. As part of this peculiar routing and in order not to ‘waste’ a sector of my AONE I purchased a separate ticket from SAT (San Antonio) to DFW (Dallas). My RTW then kicks in again with a DFW-ORD (Chicago) -SFO (San Francisco) indirect routing to maximize miles whilst still fitting the flights into 1 day.

I had been handballed from my AUS based friends to my SAT friends for the evening on Sunday afternoon and was only 20 minutes away from SAT airport on the morning of the next portion of my adventure.
As my host was due to be at work I needed to get to the airport somewhat early, but that is why they invented good books.

I rocked up to the First check-in desk at 08:30 for my 10:39 flight to DFW. My bag was tagged through to SFO without even a strange look from the agent. I was issued 3 boarding passes and with these in hand I towed my bag to the security drop off point.
Security at SAT seems always to be a breeze and I was through in no time and headed for my gate. AA don’t have a lounge at SAT but I was content to sit amongst the common people for a while and do some people watching. I also read more of mammoth book which I was really starting to get into.
The time passed quickly and soon they announced that the first class passengers could board the flight to DFW.

Flight AA1969 SAT – DFW Seat 4F
Departure time: 10:39
Date April 17, 2006

I made my way through and boarded the aircraft saying hello to the FA as I boarded. He was in the galley and either ignored me or didn’t hear me. I stowed my bag and settled into my seat. The flight was scheduled to last 43 minutes and pulled back at precisely 10:39 according to my watch. We were in the air shortly after and drinks were offered by Mr deaf or ignorant FA. The fellow seemed pleasant enough in flight, so I can only assume that the former was his particular affliction. Also I gather people greeting the FA’s is not a thing that happens much on AA, so perhaps he didn’t realise I was actually speaking to him. In general so far on this trip the AA FA’s don’t seem all that approachable and open to a chat like their BA counterparts.

As I said before departing from the intent of this tome I was offered a drink and some snacks which consisted of pretzels and/or honey cashew and sesame sticks. Drinks were offered a second time in the short flight which did impress me.

The seatbelt sign never went off and no sooner had we reached cruising altitude when we were beginning the decent into DFW.
The FA came to all the First passengers and asked if they were connecting and gave out gate information.

I deplaned quickly and headed from terminal C to terminal A in the above ground train. Previously I had only use the subterranean version of the inter-terminal transportation. The new service seemed an efficient and speedy means of getting from terminal to terminal at DFW.

I made my way to the Admirals Club and presented my onward boarding card and my Silver BA card. I find it rather odd that as a Sapphire member of OW on BA I can access lounges in the US but as an Emerald member of AA I can’t. Oh well the way AA give away First seats and candy challenges the lounges would be bursting at the seams if they did so.

I was issued a free drink voucher and I made my way to the very nicely appointed and huge AC lounge upstairs. I grabbed a drink and began to type out the previous update to this journey.

Soon enough the 1.5 hour waiting time was up and I headed to my gate which was literally across from the AC. As I walked into the holding pen behind the agent’s desk they announced First class passenger boarding. I kept walking straight up to the agent and was on board in no time.

Flight AA66 DFW – ORD Seat 1J
Departure time: 13:50
Date: April 17, 2006
Aircraft: 777

I purposely chose this flight as it was a domestic routing on a 777 aircraft and I would get the flagship suite as my seat on this flight. I settled into my seat after being given directions from an FA who had some difficulty distinguishing right from left. I of course knew I had to ‘turn left’ as that is the only way to turn when boarding through door 2A.

My jacket was taken and I was offered a pre-flight drink which I accepted.

Again we pulled back almost on time at 13:52 and made our way into the skies over the DFW area turned left 180 degrees and proceeded north to ORD.
The flight was scheduled to take 1 hour and 41 minutes. It was 34C / 93F on departure from DFW and we were heading for 11C / 51F in ORD.

Drinks and pretzels were handed out and a further offer of drinks was made during the flight. I really couldn’t believe that this was all that was on offer on a flight of that length. Oh well I suppose I have been spoilt by BA’s feed em every time policy. It seems you get the seat on AA but the food on BA.

As this was the first time on a 777 fitted with the Flagship suite it took me a while to figure out the seat. You cannot recline the seat until you have swivelled it into other than the forward locked position. This locked position is quite uncomfortable as the seat back is bolt upright with no recline at all and digs into your back if you are 6’ 2” tall.
For some unknown reason the video display showing our progress was switched off soon after we took off and I was unable to track our position through the skies.

We landed and taxied to our K terminal gate. I had 45 minutes to my next flight and it was leaving from terminal L so I headed straight on down there.
I arrived a few minutes before boarding was to commence only to be told several minutes later that there was a problem with the jet bridge and the techies had been called in to sort it out.
Around 15 minutes after our flight was due to depart we commenced boarding, again first class passengers were invited on board first.

Flight AA1631 ORD – SFO Seat 5F
Departure time: 16:55
Date April 17, 2006

I quickly found my seat and settled in for the 4 hours and 55 minute flight.
Eventually my jacket was taken from me and hung at the rear of the F cabin. No pre-flight drinks were offered on this sector.
We pushed back at 17:24 and headed west.

After takeoff we were offered a beverage and some of those lovely warm nuts.
The first drink was followed up with the hot nappy wipe offering that leaves you with white fluff all over your afternoon shadow. I can tell you I don’t need anymore white growth sprouting from my face than there already is thank you very much.
As second round of drinks and more nuts to nibble were duly metered out after the nappy change episode.

I had earlier asked the gate agent what meal service was to be offered on this flight and was told it was a ‘snack’ and food for purchase down the back.
The snack when it came out consisted of a choice of

a Turkey croissant
or
Chicken with Pasta

FEBO was observed as the FA took the cart to the back of first to start the ‘meal’ service.
I opted for the chicken which was accompanied by a salad (on the same plate) with a Greek vinaigrette a small piece of plastic cheese, some crackers and a bag of apple sauce cookies.
The chicken tasted funky (or should I say fuzzy?) at first until I realised it was smoked. The meal was not all that substantial and I expected more on a flight of this length that was due to arrive in SFO at 19:39.

After the meal the captain came on the horn and told us we were in for some chop and turned on the seatbelt sign. He also asked the FA’s to take their seats for a while also.
The chop ended after a half hour or so and the FA came through the cabin collecting items and if you asked you could get another drink. There was not offer made by the FA when she did these rounds.

We arrived at SFO at 20:30 almost an hour later than scheduled only to find our gate was occupied. You would think the ground staff would know a flight was coming in and sort something out before we arrived. But oh no we had to sit and wait some more whilst they found a gate for us.
Eventually we pulled into the gate next to the one we were scheduled to arrive at and the ground agent told us to collect our baggage at carousel 14.

I headed down to the carousel and waited and waited. Then number 15 rumbled into action despite the overhead monitor showing nothing but blackness. When the bags started to spew forth from the depths people quickly realised that our ground agent was suffering from some sort of numeric dyslexia. My bag came out a few minutes later and I headed up to the airport shuttles and to my hotel in downtown San Francisco.

As you have no doubt noticed there was not much to take photographs of on this day of travel and of course I forgot to take pictures of things such as AC lounge in DFW. But fear not I will be passing through DFW 2 more times before this week is through.

I wasn't going to include my hotel stays in this report but due to the need to show you all the room I am in today I decided to take a few pictures of my rooms.

The first night in SFO I stayed at the Westin St Francis where the desk clerk announced I had been upgraded to the top room class. I thought that is nice since I that was the type of room I booked. The room was OK but had great views over SFO as I was on the 26th floor.

View 1
View 2
View 3

My second night in SFO was at another SPG hotel as I am a true status junkie.

This time the St Regis was to be my home for the night. I was informed that I had been upgraded to an Astor Siute, which indeed was a true upgrade.
Here are some pictures of the various rooms in this suite.

The desk I am writing this report from.

The living area.

The HDTV in living area with CD player currently playing one of my favourite CD's.

The shower and bath.

The vanity unit in the bathroom.

The bedroom.

The room is magnificent and has all the mod cons including 3 TV's and two DVD/CD players. The lighting, aircon and window shades are all controlled by a touch screen unit supplied next to the bed and on the desk. I could get used to this.

The next sector I look forward to with some trepidation as it is in F on AA's 3 class 767 service from SFO – JFK. I have read on the board that the meal service has suffered somewhat I am starting to wonder if I should have opted for a different US trans continental flight as part of the RTW. I hope I am not disappointed. I suppose I will find out tomorrow.

That is it for now from a delightfully sunny SFO.

Last edited by Moomba; Apr 18, 2006 at 11:41 pm
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I took this out of the window at some point somewhere between LAX and AUS.
I believe that shot is of Area 51 and you could be arrested for that..

I am really enjoying your report...great writing style and you've made me laugh out loud several times.

One question about the majestic bird...does it always sit there?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nanook
I believe that shot is of Area 51 and you could be arrested for that..

I am really enjoying your report...great writing style and you've made me laugh out loud several times.

One question about the majestic bird...does it always sit there?
Thanks for the encouragement Nanook I am having fun writing these reports and even more being the active participant.

The Concorde has been sitting on the apron at LHR since not long after they were decommissioned. I am sure it is BA's way of giving the bearded one the bird, pun intended. Since they would not sell them to him I am sure they just want to rub his nose in it.
I do recall something recently on the BA board about it being moved on sometime soon but can't remember the details. Perhaps if someone from the BA board wanders by here they may be able to fill us in some more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.