Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Another Emirates experience....a bit in F (with pics)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2006, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards silver

Having read and enjoying the Emirates trip reports that are popping up on this forum I thought I might try my hand at writing my own. I love reading the trip reports here on this forum and I just love flying. My Dad use to be a pilot for Qantas and he use to take me with him on some of his trips. I was a pretty lucky kid !

I am quite loyal to Emirates and fly with them twice a year to Australia to visit my family.
Unfortunately my salary doesn’t normally let me fly anything other than Sardine class, except for when I upgrade to business using points, but after having catching small glimpses of those scrumptious looking suites on the A340 I thought to myself where there’s a will there’s a way….or rather, what’s the point of having a credit card if it doesn’t get a decent work now and then ?!!
Just the anticipation and joy of knowing one will be flying to the other side of the world in First Class heaven is worth it in itself, and that’s before one has even stepped foot on the plane….and turned left…..

But even with 3 credit cards I didn’t have the funds to book my whole trip in First so I booked DXB-SYD in First class with the rest in cargo….or economy……sigh…

FEB 12th 2006
MUC-DXB –EK050
Class Y –Seat ?
Actual seat- 8A

As I am Emirates silver I was able to use the business class check-in. Much to my pure delight the check-in agent told me that as it was a fully booked flight I was automatically upgraded to Business class. YES! This trip is starting off better that I had imagined! I asked if I was able to use the lounge but was told no as it is an OP-upgrade this is not allowed. Oh well, you can only try and I had already won first prize with my free upgrade.
After wandering around Munich’s very pleasant airport (certainly beats Frankfurt) I boarded my flight.
This flight to Dubai was on an A330-200 with a flying time of 6 hours.
The business class seat on this aircraft is quite comfortable but the recline is only average. I guess this is balanced out by the extreme amount of leg room. I had to literally get out of my seat to reach the in-flight magazine. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...inesscabin.jpg http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...toflegroom.jpg
Pre-departure drinks were a choice of Champagne, apple or orange juice. I choose the champagne of course and watched the plane being de-iced. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...dchampagne.jpg http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...icingwings.jpg
The crew handed out menus and a small amenity kit containing just socks as this was a day time flight. On the overnight flight out of Munich one receives a real amenity kit with everything in it one could need.
1 hour after take-off lunch began………

CANAPES:

A selection of cold Canapés

APPETIZERS:

Hummer Terrine- Lobster terrine served with prawns on a marinated mango and fennel salad, accompanied with traditional cocktail sauce.

Fillet of Veal – roast fillet of veal with an olive and tapenade crust , served with vegetable tartare. Accompanied with lime crčme fraiche.

Salad – fresh seasonal salad , offered with a choice of dressings

MAIN COURSES:

Perlhuhnbrust- sautéed Cornish hen , served in a creamy sauce, topped with chanterelles ,fresh herbs and crushed red pepper, accompanied with potato wedges, baby carrots and cauliflower.

Fillet of Lamb Loin – pan-fried fillet of lamb loin with a mozzarella and basil crust. Served in a tangy lamb jus, accompanied with a warm selection of grilled vegetables and roesti potatoes.

Rigatoni – pasta served in a béchamel and gorgonzola coulis, accompanied with sautéed mushrooms,sun-dried tomatoes and baby spinach.

Seabass Fillet ( 258 K calorie ) – your choice of a low calorie meal will be steamed fillet of seabass with a cumin glaze, accompanied with spinach, mixed peppers and wild rice mix.

DESSERTS:

Blueberry Yoghurt Muesli Torte – chocolate biscuit base with a blueberry filling, covered in yoghurt mousse, topped with muesli crunch and served with a fruit compote.

Chocolate Gratin – a chocolate and pine seed mascarpone soufflé, served with a honey and dried fruit sauce.

CHEESE:

A selection of international cheeses, served with crackers, grapes and crudités.

FRUIT:

A selection of seasonal fruits.

BEVERAGES AND CHOCOLATES:

Tea – Ceylon , Green tea, Earl grey , Camomile

Coffee- Freshly brewed or decaffeinated. Espresso or Cappuccino coffee will be available at any time during the flight.

Godiva chocolates.

There is also a full bar service including cocktails , Highballs , Liqueurs , Beers, wines and soft drinks. I stuck with champagne throughout.

I started off with the Lobster terrine which was very succulent and tasty. A bread basket was also offered throughout the whole duration of lunch with a choice of white dinner rolls, wholemeal rolls, rye bread, pita and garlic bread. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...1er/entree.jpg

I then had salad and the Perlhuhnbrust. This was a disappointing dish as it was quite salty and a bit on the dry side. But by now my champagne had been topped up 3 times so I was not too put out! http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...maincourse.jpg

For Dessert the FA asked for my choice and I asked to try both to which she happily obliged. For me the dessert on Emirates is always worth leaving room for as it is usually the best part of their meal. Both desserts were very decadent and simply sinful.
I had to pass on the cheese and fruits as I was close to bursting but when the FA came around with a box of Godiva chocolates how could I refuse one……..or three ? http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...er/dessert.jpg
After this 5 course lunch I settled down with a cup of coffee to watch a movie. There is as yet no ICE installed on the A330 but on a flight of only 6 hours and when lunch takes up 3 of those you donīt really need to have 500 movies to watch. And anyway after all the Champagne and calories my eyelids drooped and I fell asleep. I awoke half an hour out of Dubai. A second full bar service was offered prior to landing.

All in all a very smooth and enjoyable flight. The cabin crew were extremely professional and friendly, they made it seem like nothing was too much trouble.

But now the moment I had been waiting for for so long was quickly approaching….First class on Emirates A340-500. Just one more sleep….

I had booked Emirates special offer for travellers to Australia from Germany which entitled a free 2 night stopover in Dubai, with breakfast and transfers. I used this offer for only one night. As I was travelling onward in First class I was entitled to Le meridian Dubai but I had received an email saying that all their 5-star properties were booked out for this period so I was offered a choice of 4 star hotels of which I chose the Avari Hotel.
As I arrived at the hotel at 1am and had to leave at 6am it didn’t bother me that I had a 4 star hotel.
I decided not to bother waking up for breakfast as I would have plenty of opportunity to continue breaking my diet over the next 18 hours.
My driver was waiting for me as I checked-out and whisked me off back to the airport in an air-conditioned Mercedes.

FEB 13th 2006
DXB-SYD – EK412
Seat 3K

After painlessly fast-tracking through immigration I bought some cigarettes from Duty free. They are much cheaper than in Germany or Australia. In general the Dubai Duty free is very good and has a great selection of everything but it is always crowded no matter what time of the day you are there so I didn’t browse and instead headed straight for the Emirates First Class lounge.

I was expecting the lounge to also be crowded (like everywhere else in Dubai airport) but I was greeted by a nice and empty oasis.
The first thing that struck me was the huge breakfast spread. Scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, bacon, sausages, baked tomatoes.
Sandwiches, mezzes, salads, mini-pizzas.
Cereals, fresh toast, croissants, scones, Danish pastries, cakes, muffins, chocolates and fresh fruit.
Cappuccino,espresso,mocha etc,etc..
Veuve Champagne, red and white wines, spirits, beers and softdrinks.
Juices on offer were orange, apple , pineapple, mango and passion fruit.

I went upstairs to the smoking section which I shared with just 2 other people. Here there is another Buffet spread which was not quite as lavish as downstairs but which meant the politically incorrect of us didn’t have to trudge downstairs to get something to eat.
Everywhere were attendants who were constantly clearing up after people but unobtrusively so.
I helped myself to a double espresso, some scones and a nice fruit plate. I was tempted to have a glass of Veuve but passed as I was looking forward to sinking into my First Class Suite with a glass of Dom instead.
After another espresso I mossied on down to my gate. Getting on to your flight in Dubai is nothing other than a tiring ordeal one would be best to try and forget. Overcrowded gates and the infuriating bus rides to the aircraft with no priority given to First or Business passengers are all part of the fun. But this time I had something to look forward to.

I was greeted at the door by an FA who upon looking at my boarding card immediately turned up the voltage on her smile and welcomed me by name. I was then passed on to another FA who showed me to my suite…suite….suite….SUITE!!!!!!!!
It has to be seen to be believed, the photos don’t quite do it justice. It really is like your own little bedroom with a huge ICE screen, gadgets and buttons everywhere, an in-built mini-bar and a clarins amenity kit staring you in the face. There is also your very own fresh orchid sitting in an in-built vase. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...1er/seat3k.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...eatherseat.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...inbuiltkit.jpg

I was welcomed by the first of 4 First class FAīs who look after the 12 First class passengers. On this flight there were 10 of us.
Was immediately offered a glass of Dom ī98ī and a mango juice, mint and lemonade cocktail. I sank back into my leather chair, took my Dom in hand and made a celebratory toast to myself….ah, this is what it’s all about.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...s1er/Dom98.jpg

After I finished my Champagne I was offered Arabic coffee and dates. The coffee had a very unusual taste. I was told by the FA that it’s a great digestion aid. Hmm, might have to order another one then after my planned little feast…http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...feanddates.jpg

I was then given a set of pale yellow pyjamas, slippers, eyeshades and yet another amenity kit full of Clarins products. Talk about a Clarins overdose, this suite is a girl’s best friend! http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...thegoodies.jpg

Was then offered magazines. They didn’t have anything which I liked so the FA went straight down to business class to fetch me a different one. All these goodies, service and smiles made it feel like the special experience it was.
I listened to the Captains announcement informing us that as we were not going to have the help of any tail wind to Sydney so our flight time will be a bit longer than usual. Normally sitting back with my fellow sardines I would be inwardly groaning but this time nothing could have made me happier. 15 hours of undisturbed luxury.

The final goodie to be handed out was the menu which read as follows:

Emirates A la carte Dining

COCKTAILS AND CANAPES:
A selection of hot and cold appetizers, which includes jalapeņo peppers, chicken sambousik, beef brochette, marinated feta cheese and kalamata olives.

HORS DīOEUVRES:

Iranian caviar- served with traditional accompaniments.

Arabic Mezze- a selection of traditional Arabic mezze, which includes moutabel, shanklish, loubieh bil zeit, artichoke and oriental salad with sumac powder.

Gulf Prawns- steamed Gulf prawns, served with anis and basil mayonnaise.

SOUP AND SALAD:

Mediterranean Lentil Soup- creamy Mediterranean lentil soup served with spicy parmesan croutons.

Freshly prepared salad- served with a creamy dressing, virgin olive oil or balsamic vinegar.
ENTREES:

Tournedo Rossini- beef tenderloin, topped with foie gras and reduced beef jus, served with Romanesco, glazed pumpkin and roasted new potatoes with rosemary.

Grilled Fish Kebab- grilled hammour, salmon and tuna on a lemon grass kebab, accompanied with carrot flowers, baby pak choy, ....ake mushroom and Chinese fried noodles.

Curried Chicken with Mango- topped with shredded coconut, served with Oriental mixed vegetables and steamed rice.

VEGETARIAN ENTREES:

Fettuccini Alfredo- green and white fettuccini, served in a creamy three cheese sauce, enhanced with pesto and sautéed cherry tomatoes.

A la carte vegetables- a selection of alternative vegetables. Which includes green asparagus mimosa, plum tomato filled with creamed leek, piped mashed potatoes with chives and saffron rice.

BREAKFAST SELECTION:

Yoghurt- natural or fruit

Assorted cereals

Vegetable Omelette- served with grilled beef tenderloin, roasted plum tomato, sautéed spinach and hash brown potatoes.

Mixed grill- served with assorted mushrooms and green asparagus, plum tomatoes with herbs and chive potato cakes.

Poached Paprika Eggs- topped with tomato Hollandaise, served on a bed of smokes fish hash.

Bread basket- a selection of bread and breakfast pastries served with butter and preserves.

DESSERTS:

Mini Desserts- fresh fig meringue, blueberry cheesecake, and raspberry au gratin.

Crepes Suzettes- served warm, accompanied with vanilla ice-cream.

Sweet Treats- a choice of cookies, chocolate bars and muffins.

CHEESE: International cheeseboard, served with crackers, grapes and crudités.

SANDWICHES AND SNACKS:

A Selection of Sandwiches- an assortment of Iranien chicken with Arabic pickles and mayonnaise, barbeque veal with gherkins, prawn cocktail and mixed vegetables with potatoes.

Hot Snacks- stir-fried noddles with prawns or prime beef steak pie.

FRUITS: A selection of seasonal cut fresh fruits.

Godiva Chocolates.

Unfortunately I forgot to keep the wine list and I canīt remember a single one of them because again I stuck with champagne throughout the flight. But excluding the wine and Champagne the rest of the drinks menu was identical to Business class except for specially created cocktails.

None of the FAīs came to show me how to work all the seat functions like I saw they were doing for a couple up front but it didn’t bother me as I was having fun working it out for myself.

After take-off, I was asked if I cared to order something which I did…a second breakfast.
I ordered a fruit plate, the poached paprika eggs and a bread basket with you guessed it, more Dom.
My HUGE dining table popped out from of the side of the chair and was dressed by the FA with a crisp white cloth, condiments and silver cutlery. The fruit was refreshing but the poached paprika eggs were amazing. Perfectly cooked eggs and a nice combination with fish hash. My own personal bread basket was loaded with very naughty carbs.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../breakfast.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...andmoreDom.jpg

After breakfast I slipped into my P.Jīs without having to leave my suite. You just have to close the privacy screen and your suite becomes a very private cocoon.
At the push of a button my seat turned into a bed and there’s an extra thin mattress you can put on top of that to make it even more comfortable. True, the bed seems to have a bit of a dip at the feet area so it’s good to put a pillow under your feet if you want to be completely flat.
I then switched on the massage function and chose Mr. and Mrs.Smith from the 500 channel ICE system before I promptly fell asleep.
I woke about 7 hours later and realised that I had never been so comfortable before on a plane. The great thing about the privacy screen is that you don’t have to worry about how you must look when you’re asleep or if anyone sees you dribble!!
I then continued to `lieīin bed and watched Walk the line.
Feeling peckish I rang room service (no joke) and ordered the lentil soup and curried chicken with mango followed by a set of Mini desserts. The curry was nice, very Thai, and the mini desserts were delicious with the fig meringue been my favourite.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ner-entree.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...as1er/main.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...1er/sweets.jpg

When my table was cleared away I had a walk around the cabin and saw the bar area they have set up. There was a bottle of Dom, water, softdrinks, fruit, muffins and more Godiva chocolates. I grabbed a bottle of water and returned to my seat to sleep another 4 hours.
I woke for the second time about 2 hours out of Sydney and decided to have breakfast in bed. This time I had fruit, yoghurt, another bread basket and a freshly brewed coffee.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...dbreakfast.jpg
As I ate I opened the window screen and watched the sun-rise over Australia. Magnificent.
Reluctantly I changed back out of my pyjamas and let my bed become a seat again.
Filled out my immigration and customs form ticking the box to declare food……little trick for breezing through Aussie customs. Pack some chocolate, declare it, they check it quickly and then you are on your way. Look back over your shoulder and take note of the massive queue lining up for the nothing to declare line where ALL your luggage will be x-rayed. But sshhhh…it’s a little secret.

The FAīs came around to say good-bye and wished us a pleasant stay.
I found the First class FAīs all to be very bubbly, kind and very young. They did their job very well but for some reason I felt their was a touch of something missing. It’s hard to put my finger on exactly what.

The rest of the passengers had to wait while the First class disembarked which meant I gratefully got to be head of the line at immigration. My luggage came out second on the belt and with the chocolate trick I was through customs and out into the arrival hall within 10 minutes. I could not make use of the free limo as I was flying on to Canberra.

So, would I fly Emirates First class again? In a flash! Now where was that new credit card application form……………………

On a brief last note, my flight back to Dubai was on the new 777-300ER in economy. Not too bad as far as economy goes but a word of warning; this was not a direct service to Dubai, it’s via Bangkok and they did not let us out of the plane in Bangkok. All those travelling on to Dubai had to remain in their seats. My fellow sardines and I had to watch as the crew departed and a new one arrived and watched the cleaners come around and clean the plane. This all took an hour and a half. I don’t know if this is common practice on this flight but it meant that the number of hours we spent in our tiny seats clocked up to 18! So that was the first and last time I will choose to go that route to or from Australia.
Once in Dubai and feeling thoroughly sore and stiff (and miffed again at the busses!), I could hardly believe my luck when I was given another upgrade to business on my last leg home to Munich! Yup, full flight again. Suffice to say it was a big relief to my aching bones and I was not feeling quite so angry at Emirates anymore for keeping us holed up in Bangkok.
I will not go into detail about this flight but just say it was very enjoyable with a light breakfast followed by another 5 course lunch prior to landing in Munich.

My loyalty to Emirates had definitely paid off on this trip.

Thanks for reading and FLY EMIRATES! ^
Old Mar 19, 2006, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Let me be the first to say THANKS for this excellent trip report! Great pictures. ^ ^
Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Thanks for the report...

DR
Old Mar 19, 2006, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
A great first report alias1er - thanks ^
Old Mar 19, 2006, 3:42 pm

WOW! And I thought CX was fantastic. Too bad EK is not a member of an airline alliance...
Old Mar 19, 2006, 9:08 pm

Programs: some
Great trip report, thanks. Two upgrades on one trip - *well* done :-)
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks for the report ^

Just a few comments/questions

1) In MUC where were you denied access to the lounge? Was it at the lounge itself or at check in? I have never had problems getting into the lounge after being opupped in any city.

2) I love EK412 because it leaves just after the morning rush at DXB. This allows you to really enjoy the lounge ^ and the airport / check in is less crowded.

3) Do you / people you know frequently find the MUC flights full?

Upgrades to J both ways is rare on any EK route (except maybe LHR) but the loyalty definately helps alot

The good news is that EK is increasing capacity to MUC later on this year. EK49/50 will change to a 772 with the ICE entertainment system ^

4) I love the end of your report. It goes nicely with my signature

Cheers
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:44 am
Community Director Emerita

It was fun to read your report and relive the experience. ^
Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:30 am

absolutely wonderful report! I am soooo going to find a way to get on that suite!
Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:43 am

Great report!
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Thanks for the report ^

Just a few comments/questions

1) In MUC where were you denied access to the lounge? Was it at the lounge itself or at check in? I have never had problems getting into the lounge after being opupped in any city.

2) I love EK412 because it leaves just after the morning rush at DXB. This allows you to really enjoy the lounge ^ and the airport / check in is less crowded.

3) Do you / people you know frequently find the MUC flights full?

Upgrades to J both ways is rare on any EK route (except maybe LHR) but the loyalty definately helps alot

The good news is that EK is increasing capacity to MUC later on this year. EK49/50 will change to a 772 with the ICE entertainment system ^

4) I love the end of your report. It goes nicely with my signature

Cheers
Hi all, thanks for your comments.

To answer your questions sadiqhassan,

I was denied access to the lounge at check-in. I was told they canīt do this as itīs an Op-upgrade. I thought it felt a bit fishy but I didnīt see the point in debating about it with her as I had the feeling that she had decided this on her own and was not going to budge. So I just let it go.
Maybe she was jealous that I was going to be travelling in style all the way to Australia and she had to stay in freezing Germany..hehe

In the last 3 years I have used Munich solely to fly out of and the flights were never so overbooked.
But the day I flew it was the start of school holidays here and when I flew back it was the end of school holidays so I think my 2 upgrades might have been a result of that. No, I could not believe my luck!

Yes, I had you in mind when I wrote the last sentence of my report
Old Mar 20, 2006, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat
alia1er:

Great trip report and congrats on the two op-ups!

May I ask how much more you paid for F on the DXB-SYD sector vs. the economy fare ? (Just curious for future reference.)
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by hsmythe
alia1er:

Great trip report and congrats on the two op-ups!

May I ask how much more you paid for F on the DXB-SYD sector vs. the economy fare ? (Just curious for future reference.)
I was also interested in this. I know that EK does allow segments to be upgraded (eg fly DXB-SYD in J on a MUC-DXB-SYD-DXB-MUC economy ticket) for a minimal upgrade charge. I also thought that only 1 class upgrades were allowed. Do you know how the ticket was fared exactly?

Cheers
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:44 am
Original Poster

My ticket MUC-DXB in Y,DXB-SYD in F and SYD-MUC Y cost 2130 Euros.

In econonmy it would have been 1186 Euros. So the segment in F cost 944 Euros.
And I earned 51610 Skywards points all up.

I booked this through the Emirates web-site. I went through the steps of using the Advanced search option, then putting in stopovers even though I was only stopping over for 10 hours.
But by doing this I could break up the flight and choose different cabin classes for each leg. It worked perfectly and I did this and played around with various options for 2 months before I actually booked.

I tried doing this again just yesterday for my next trip in July and it wonīt let me do it! If I repeat the same ticket I just flew on ( DXB-SYD in F) it then automatically prices the MUC-DXB leg in F also.
I donīt know if Emirates have recently changed the rules but the web-site let me do this for months until now.
Itīs even written somewhere that one of the advantages of booking through their website is that you can book different cabin classes.

I shall see if I can find it....
Old Mar 21, 2006, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Copied from Skywards site:
http://www.skywards.com/Travel_booking.aspx

I think you have to be logged in

Online Booking

Booking a reward with Emirates or SriLankan is easier than ever. As a Skywards member, you can now use the Emirates online booking facility to book not only your regular flight ticket but your reward ticket as well. All you have to do is choose whether to pay with Cash or with Miles
The Emirates online booking facility offers a host of useful new features with more coming soon
E-ticket (Electronic ticket) service
The option of booking different cabin classes on each leg of your journey
The ability to search across a range of dates, or search for 'next available flight
Booking Emirates' chauffeur drive service online when you fly First or Business Class.
Emirates online booking is available in 33 countries worldwide. To see if it is available from your country, click here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.