Reload this Page >

Luxury in the sky: Emirates F JFK-DXB on the A345

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury in the sky: Emirates F JFK-DXB on the A345

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:37 am

I'm looking forward to read your report about the flight. Excellent start!!!
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:27 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

On the ground at JFK

I arrived in United’s Terminal 7, and took the SkyTrain to Terminal 4. You have to go outside Terminal 7 to get to the SkyTrain, while the station is actually built into Terminal 4. I saw no signage as to what airline is in which terminal. It was fortunate I knew in advance where to go.

Emirates showed on the boards as checking in at aisle 7, but EOS and Aer Lingus were the only airlines with agents at those desks. Emirates reservations had told me that their lounge opened at 5pm; yet their desk agents didn’t appear until 7:30pm. Then each station had to be set up, the signs put up behind them, and the red carpet (for first) and blue carpets (for business) rolled out and vacuumed. At last I was allowed to check in. Agents had fabric Emirates bags to hand passengers whose luggage was overweight, allowing them to shift things to the bags. My carry on was not weighed, perhaps a benefit of flying F.

There is a security line for F and C passengers. I was through quickly, and headed to the lounge. The lounge is quite luxurious. It is spacious, with more than sufficient seats for all those traveling in biz and F. There are 3 showers, about 20 computers, and wireless access throughout the lounge.

The food was plentiful. There were two long bars with a wide array of food, as well as a central station. Food was set out in small dishes and frequently replenished. There were dishes such as pasta, satay, shrimp, soup, salad, asparagus, chocolate dipped strawberries, and on. It would be very easy to eat a satisfying meal in the lounge, should you desire to go to sleep once on board. I held back, in anticipation of an interesting onboard menu.

At the gate, there was a separate line for first and business class passengers that let us into the front of the line to board. This was a bit awkward, as coach passengers were not eager to give way, and the gate agent was inexperienced at melding the two lines. We then mingled again on the sole jetway to the plane.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Onboard - the reason for the trip

At last. The heart of the adventure had begun. I walked into the first class cabin, and into my home for the next 14 hours – 3A. I immediately knew that I liked what I saw.

The 345 has 12 mini cabins in F. They are 1 x 2 x 1; all are equally private. If you are flying with someone and take one of the middle cabins, you can pull down the partition in the middle. I liked 3A as it was furthest back from the curtains shielding the cabin from the galley. I was spared any light leakage as the FAs came and went.

I excitedly looked around, and began pressing buttons. There was a lot to explore. In the front, was a desk/vanity. There were orchids in a vase, and a large plasma screen. The drawer had Emirates stationery and a pen. There was a popup vanity tray, with an amenity kit inside. The mirror had lights surrounding it.

On the left shelf was a button that brought up the minibar. It was prestocked with juices, soda and water. Below the shelf was a place to store my carry on tote. There is no overhead storage, and there is insufficient storage in the suite for a roller. The purser told me that Airbus was to build a little elevator in each suite that allowed the roller to go down, and the tote to sit on top of it. It failed the strength test, and was never implemented. Fortunately, on both my flights there were empty suites which the FAs used for luggage storage.

By now, the FA came to educate me on the entertainment and seat controls. There is a display for all the environmental controls. Every aspect of the seat is controlled electronically. There is a memory button so you can set your favorite position. There are controls for a front torchiere light and the overhead light. (There is also a spot light behind the shoulder.) There are four different massage settings for the chair. My only regret is that the massage function only ran about 5 minutes before needing to be reset. There were buttons to call the FA, to put up a “Do Not Disturb” sign, and to close and reopen the door. Bliss!

There were two air flow controls, one by the left hand, and one by the right shoulder. I really appreciated that, as often cabins are kept too warm for my taste. There was one more button to push; it opened a small compartment for eyeglass storage and the like.

The cabins are designed to give maximum privacy. The walls are sufficiently high so that you do not see the FAs moving around the cabin,. You can only see the passenger in the adjacent suite. This creates a great sense of personal control during the flight. You have no idea when others are eating and drinking, and simply have what you want when you want it.

You need to have lots of space in your carry on for all the goodies you are given! You get a cream colored track suit, with a zip up jacket. There are Japanese style slippers (but no socks), eye shields, and a luxurious amenity kit. The man’s kit is nicer than the woman’s; I recommend taking it. It is a large black leather case with deodorant, lotion, toothbrush, paste, shaving cream, razor, and so on. The women’s kit is smaller, has some Clarins products, and is vinyl. You’ll get some duplicates of the women’s products in the kit in the amenity tray, so you don’t miss out by taking the men’s kit.

The entertainment system is amazing. It is called ICE.

• I – information
• C – Communications
• E – Entertainment

You can chose views thru two onboard cameras as part of the information group. One camera looks forward; one looks down. It was great fun to watch the runway, and then New York City on take off. There’s also the usual sky show, as well as BBC news by text.

Communication includes phone, email, and sms. There is onboard wireless as an alternative. You can phone another seat on board to talk to family or colleagues.

The entertainment channel is simply amazing. There are more than 500 channels. My book describing all the offerings is 65 pages long!

The FAs provide unfailing cordial and gracious service. I had FAs who spoke about 12 different languages – not that I could put them to the test! Fresh mixed fruit, orange juice and champagne were offered pre flight. Shortly before takeoff, Arabic coffee and a date stuffed with an almond were proffered.

The large meal tray pulls out from the side panel. It is in a fixed location; you move the chair forward to it. (You can also move the chair up to the front desk.) They have a lovely large linen tablecloth for the tray, continuing the sense of luxury.

Each suite has its own coat closet. You hang your clothes there once you change into your pjs. The side of the closet, which is at the end of the suite, is cut out. This allows anyone who is particularly tall to have several extra inches for their feet.

The seat itself could be improved. It is a flat seat, not a bed per se – and the parts that extended were each a half inch lower than the seat, leaving me with the feeling that my feet were at an incline, somewhat disruptive to sleep. I learned from my outbound flight; on the return, I got a second pillow, and put it under my feet. I slept much better as a result. Both of the arm rests can be dropped, giving quite a wide bed for sleep. When the cabin is dim, you see pinpricks of light in the ceiling, giving the sensation of looking at the night sky.

This was truly an extraordinary experience. As I wrote in my first post, I’ve flown many of the great airlines of the world – and this outperformed any of them.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Mar 13, 2006 at 2:25 am
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:29 am
Original Poster

First Class Menu, JFK-DXB

The most important thing to know is that you can have whatever you want, whenever you want – and likely, seconds of it.

Hors D’oeuvres
Cocktails with Canapés
An assortment of hot and cold snacks which includes chicken curry skewer, scallops with chili, asparagus with filo pastry, pepper Jack cheese, olives and tomatoes

Iranian Caviar
Served with traditional accompaniments

Lobster Salad
Lobster salad with mango panacotta, served with a orange reduction

Grilled Chicken
Slices of grilled chicken breast, served with a ginger salsa

Soup and Salad
Butternut and Squash Soup
A creamy butternut and squash soup, served with croutons and chives

Freshly Prepared Salad
Served with a creamy dressing, virgin olive oil, balsamic and olive oil dressing

Appetizer Salad
Seasonal mixed green salad, topped with marinated prawns and shaved parmesan, served with virgin olive oil

Entrees
Fillet of Lamb Loin
Fillet of lamb loin topped with a herb crust, served with thyme jus, accompanied with soft polenta and Provencal vegetables

Chicken Tikka Skewer
Charcoal grilled chicken tikka skewer, served with a cucumber yoghurt sauce, accompanied with curried beans, roasted peppers and steamed rice

Veal Rib Eye Steak
Pan-fried veal rib eye steak, served with a balsamic rosemary jus, accompanied with red potatoes and grilled mixed vegetables

Chicken Biryani
Marinated chicken cooked with rice, accompanied with lentil ragout and vegetable jaffrezi, served with mint raita

Fillet of Salmon
Fillet of salmon, seared with Arabic spices, served with a mild butter sauce, accompanied with new potatoes, broccoli and turned baby carrots

Pan Seared Grouper
Your choice of a low calorie meal will be pan seared grouper with a mild chive sauce accompanied with purple potatoes, baby carrots, pumpkin and squash

Vegetarian Entrees
Portobello Mushroom Ravioli
Handmade pasta cases filled with sautéed Portobello mushrooms, served in a creamy roasted red pepper coulis, topped with vegetable garnish

Gnocchi
Gnocchi stuffed with chilli and served in a mild creamy pepper sauce, topped with sautéed leek

A la carte vegetables
A selection of alternative vegetables, which includes lemon rice with sultanas, mashed potatoes with cheese, baby tomato with spinach and squash

Desserts
Mini Desserts
Featuring raspberry mousse, chocolate truffle and custard flan

Apple Cinnamon Tart
Baked apple and cinnamon tart, served with Granny Smith ice cream

Chocolate Saucy Cake
Rich chocolate cake filled with a smooth chocolate sauce, served with vanilla ice cream, mixed seasonal berries or hot fudge

Fruits
Selection of Seasonal Fruits
Seasonal cut fresh fruits

Juice
Fruit juices

Appetizers
Assorted Fruit
Of seasonal fruits

Yoghurt
Natural or fruit

Assorted Cereals

Entrees
Wild Mushroom Omelette
Omelette filled with sautéed wild mushrooms, served with roasted sliced potatoes, grilled tomato and a mildly spiced chicken sausage

Cheese
Cheese Selection
A selection of cheese, which includes smoked gouda and cheddar, herb goat cheese and chaume, served with mixed olives and cherry tomatoes

Bread
Bread Basket
Selection of bread, croissants, muffins and New York bagels, served with butter and preserves

Beverages and Chocolates
Tea
Ceylon, China, Earl Grey, Chamomile

Coffee
Freshly brewed or decaffeinated

Chocolates

Sandwiches
An assortment of snacks and Hero sandwiches are available on request at any time during the flight
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Bar Service

Aperitifs and cocktails
Sweet or dry sherry, campari
Dry Martini, sweet or Dry Vermouth,
Gin or Vodka Martini Old Fashioned,
Manhattan, Negroni
Sours; Whisky, Gin, Brandy, Gin Fizz, Tom Collins
Highballs: Whisky, Brandy, Gin, Rum

Special Cocktails
Bloody Mary
Martini Cocktail
Jumeirah Delight
Island Fantasy
Champagne Cocktail
Brandy Alexander

Wines
A slection of wines from the finest vineyards
Of the old and new world.
Champagne Brut.

Spirits
Whiskey: Scotch, Malt, Jack Daniels, Rye
Gin, Vodka, Bacardi Rum

Liquers
Drambuie, Cointreau, Tia Maria
Cognac V.S.O.P.
Bailey’s Irish Cream
Late Bottled Vintage Port

Beers
Assortment of Beers
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:32 am
Original Poster

First Class Wine List

Champagne
Dom Perignon
Vintage 1998

White Wine
Williams Fevre Chablis 1er cru Montmains
Vintage 2003

Robert Mondavi Winery, Napa
Valley Fume Blanc
Vintage 2003

Fairview Estate, Paarl
Oom Pagel Semillon
Vintage 2004

Red Wine
Chateau Pichon-Longueville
Pauillac
Vintage 1995

Heitz Cellars, Napa Valley
Cabernet Sauvignon
Vintage 2000

Michel Chapoutier
Ermitage ‘Les Climats’
Vintage 2002

Port
Warre’s
Vintage 1994
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Pretty amazing amount of food and choices on that menu. I think I'd skip not only the lounge offerings but maybe the meal or two prior to the flight!

Looking forward to your thoughts on the suite and quality of the service from the FAs.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Just returning from Shopsin's...I didnt think it would be possible to get hungry. But after reading the menu, I'm ready for tomorrow's flight
Old Mar 10, 2006, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I was thinking the same thing. Very impressive menu and so far, enjoying the report. Can't wait to read more! Any pictures forthcoming?
Old Mar 10, 2006, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I arrived in United’s Terminal 7, and took the SkyTrain to Terminal 4. You have to go outside Terminal 7 to get to the SkyTrain, while the station is actually built into Terminal 4. I saw no signage as to what airline is in which terminal. It was fortunate I knew in advance where to go.
Inside each JFK SkyTrain car there are signs showing which terminal each airline uses. I cant recall if the stations have the same signs or not.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 2:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
That menu looks more impressive than what I had recently on EK AKL-SIN (yeah no suite either on that route).
Old Mar 10, 2006, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Great read! Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Food: ^ ^ ^ ^
Old Mar 10, 2006, 5:04 pm

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
I'm now working feverishly to see how many Delta miles I've got
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:41 pm

Vintage Dom! I live (vicariously) through you SD1K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.