Wiki Posts
Search

SQ 12 NRT-LAX in F -- Fight for menus?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

SQ 12 NRT-LAX in F -- Fight for menus?

Hi all,

Here is the last trip report on SQ to LAX. I had high hopes for this flight, but this flight was really average compared to other SQ F flights and even J flights. Maybe the last two CX F flights were too good (well only one pax), but the catering ex-Tokyo seems to be relatively average and the F/As seemed to be rather forgetful. They were SQ F/As – they chatted with you and helped with bags, and did all these things, but the service was not outstanding. I was a bit unhappy about the F/As demanding all these business card, when I asked for my menus back (I still don’t know why they have to take the menu away during mid-flight, but I know better… just need to keep the menus next time before going to sleep). Kris was nice about the whole thing, but the other two F/As seemed to be a bit “not there”. Kris ended up getting me all the menus, which I really appreciated. However her other two colleagues were just not there and the supervisor should talk to me face to face. I was not a threatening person at all.

SQ 12 NRT-LAX Lv1815 Arr1105 Boeing 747-400 9V-SPL

Link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5bsja

Arriving from CX flight, I went through security and it was simple. But the SQ counters were not opened downstair, and after walking around the airport for a bit, I headed back to the SQ lounge and the agent immediately typed in some information and asked me to hang out at the lounge, and a check-in agent would come to assist me later. As a top class airline, the agent indeed came look for me and already printed out my boarding pass. She collected the flight coupon, jogged down the passport information and the baggage claim information, and then I was all set to go. I wish all transit experiences can be simple as that. The lounge was a typical NRT lounge and there was a first class section. The lounge was not terribly busy today but I was impressed with the food offered (better than CX or any lounge in that terminal for sure) – cup noodles, soup, Onigri, sushi, and all those snacks, while there was more food – a hot food counter with dim sums (dumplings and buns), as well as a ice cream fridge with Fauchon brand. I had some snacks and then waited a bit. The only disappointment was the lack of complimentary wireless Internet service. I used the SQ laptop instead, but it was a bit slower than expected. Anyway, the incoming a/c arrived early and I headed down to the crowded lounge. Boarding began at 5:43pm at gate 17, and door was closed early at 6:10pm. Once seated, the purser helped with my bag, and immediately offered the sleeper suit and amenity kit, and of course, my Krug champagne. But they forgot to pass out menus for those who came in from Tokyo, and for some reason, they rushed today. I guess many folks wanted to go to bed soon (especially from SIN folks), but I was more lay back. Anyway, we took off from R/W34L at 6:47pm.

Flying time was a quick eight hours and twenty-four minutes. We took a Southern path, and headed directly towards N of Midway Islands and straight into the Bay area and turned SE after passing Monterrey. We climbed to 10,700meter first, and then 11,000, and then 11.300 and then 11,900.

After takeoff, beverage was served, but they forgot my satays. I did not ask for them after I realized that they forgot about it, even though two F/As asked me if I took beef. Anyway, that’s why I felt the flight was disorganized. Here is the menu transcript… sorry no wine list because they took them away before I had a chance to take them home. Thanks to ylwae at FT.

Dinner NRT-LAX - International selection
Canapes
Satay

Appetisers
Chilled malossol caviar
Balik salmon fillet served with classic garnishes
The salmon was average and ylwae… you did not miss much! The salmon was lightly cooked, and there was a scallop as a side with some Mesclun greens.

Soup
Chinese seafood soup
Cream of button mushroom with truffle cream
I ordered the seafood soup, but was given a mushroom broth.

Salad
Assorted seasonal greens (Umeshiro or French dressing)
Basic lettuce with red and yellow pepper strips and endives

Main courses
Pan roasted sirloin of beef in watercress sauce, sauteed mushrooms, baby carrot and potatoes
Stir fried black tiger prawns in XO sauce served with seasonal vegetables and fried rice
Mixed mushroom with ricotta cheese cannelloni served with tomato basil sauce
I had the prawns, which helped to rescue points for the disappointing or rather average catering so far.

Cheese
Fresh fruit
I saw melon, banana, orange, and pears being offered.

Dessert
Warm soft center banana chocolate cake served with vanilla ice cream and raspberry coulis
The F/A did not warm the cake, so the dessert was rather average.

From the bakery
Hot beverages
Pralines

SQ12C SIN-NRT-LAX (LJ/DJ/HBJ) 4-2.1 01-02 FC

Kyo-kaiseki NRT-LAX - Dinner
Sakizuke
Mugwort beancurd with salmon roes

Ha-sun
Horsetail shoot, king crab, herring, egg and vegetable cake

Mukouzuke
Marinated sea bream with kelp

Men
Cold yomogi noodles

Dainomono
Grilled "kinome" flavoured rainbow trout, lotus root

Takiawase
Fish paste, pumpkin dumpling, radish flower

Suzakana
Marinated goby fish, wasabi flavoured flying fish roes

Gohan and Kounomono
Steamed rice and pickles

Tome-wan
Miso soup

Mizugashi
Japanese dessert

Ocha
Green tea
SQ12D SIN-NRT-LAX (LJ/DJ/HBJ) 4-2.1 02 FC

After dinner, bottles of Evian water were passed out and Kris began to turn down passengers’ bed. They basically add a very nice mattress and add a pillow, as well as a nice blanket, as viewed in the picture. Breakfast was served around 1:15am/8:15am LA time. I had some orange juice, and then the F/A swung into actions. The fruit and yogurt were fine, and the baked egg entrée was delicious. I guess you can’t really screw that up. I also like the fact that they used multi-grain toasts – healthier.

Before touch-down NRT-LAX - International selection
Juices
Apple, tomato or freshly squeezed orange

Fruit
Fresh fruit plate
Melon, orange, strawberry and pineapple

Light starters
Cornflakes or muesli with milk; Plain or fruit yoghurt
Blueberry yogurt is offered

Wholesome beginnings
Stuffed strawberry cream cheese French toast served with maple syrup and veal sausages
Freshly prepared eggs (Baked, soft boiled or scrambled on toast served with ham steak or chicken sausage, tomato and mushroom)

From the bakery
Assorted breakfast rolls
Croissants or Apricot Danish
Hot beverages
SQ12C SIN-NRT-LAX (LJ/DJ/HBJ) 4-2.2 01-02 FC

Kyo-kaiseki NRT-LAX - Before touch-down

Kobachi
Seasonal fruit

Zensai
Egg roll with crabmeat, prawn, seaweed salad

Takiawase
Steamed yam and fish paste, lotus root, burdock

Yakimono and Ashirai
Grilled swordfish with "yuan" sauce

Gohan or Okayu
Steamed rice or rice porridge

Kounomono
Pickles

Shiru
Miso soup

Ocha
Green tea
SQ12D SIN-NRT-LAX (LJ/DJ/HBJ) 4-2.2 02 FC

Descent began at 9:45am and we landed on R/W24R at 10:11am. We parked between a CX 744 B-HUI (CX 884/5) and Air Tahiti Nui A340-300 F-OJGF. The hall was quite crowded with a couple flights arriving at the same time. Some girls almost left custom without picking up their bags, until I stopped them. They were looking for the exit and then I asked them, did you pick up your bags yet? They just looked at me, and I told them, you came out from an International flight and you need to pick up your bags before checking them to the final destination. Thankfully they turned around. But I was not so lucky because custom did not like me. People pointed me to various lines and were not helpful. But thankfully the custom agents were nice, and they just saw my bags and realized that nothing could be found. They were more interested in my HK newspapers. Anyway, they cheered my day up and I was soon heading out towards AA for my flight to Denver.

Anyway, here is my latest trip report! I don’t think I will do any report till March, when I was in CX 888/9.

Have a good year of “DOG”!

Carfield
Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: AA PLT
Sounds like fairly lax service for F on what is supposed to be one of the world's best airlines. I would expect more polish and flair than this.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: AA PLT
And I would have demanded my satay too--I love satay.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 11:25 pm

Nice, brief report Carfield.

This confirms a similar experience I had in SQ F (though it wasn't quite as disappointing at this). I agree that SQ is starting to get a little sloppy with their premium service. They need to wake up if they want to stay ahead of the competition.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 7:15 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Carfield,

Thanks again for a very well written report (as always).

Please don't take this the wrong way - yet its really tough feeling bad for someone who has flown SQ in F more than once.

Try and remember that some of us are still stuck on AA midcons......
(I am jealous - I admit).

Sincerely - thanks again.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:38 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by Carfield
Cream of button mushroom with truffle cream
I ordered the seafood soup, but was given a mushroom broth.
Isn't that interesting? I ordered the cream of mushroom soup but was also given a broth. Looks like neither soup on the menu was catered, or was catered in very insufficient quantities.

Here's the liquor list, since it was so cruelly taken away from Carfield:

Beverages
High spirits

Special cocktail
Tropical Sparkle (a blend of lime cordial, 7-UP, orange juice and tomato juice)

Cocktails
Singapore Sling (dry gin, DOM Benedictine, Cointreau, cherry brandy, Angostura bitters, Grenadine, lime and pineapple juice)

Silver Kris Sling (gin, Cointreau, orange juice and pineapple juice, topped with champagne)

Gin Fizz (gin and lemon juice, topped with soda)

Cloud Nine (rum, Cointreau and pineapple juice, topped with soda)

Screwdriver
Bloody Mary
Daiquiri
Red or White Wine Cooler

Aperitifs
Campari
Dry Vermouth

Non-alcoholic cocktails
Citrus Royale
Orange Cooler
Golden Spice
Fruit Spritzer
Sunrise Surprise

Spirits
Bombay Sapphire Gin
Cognac XO - Hennessy
Chivas Royal Salute Scotch Whisky
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
Macallan 12 years old Single Malt Whisky
Absolut Vodka
Bacardi Carta Blanca

Premium Ginjo Sake Tamanohikari (on flights to and from Japan)

Liqueurs
Cointreau
Tia Maria
Baileys Original Irish Cream

Beer
International Selection

Champagne

Dom Pérignon 1998
Krug Grande Cuvée

White wines

Erdener Treppchen Riesling Kabinett 2003 Dr. Loosen
Meursault 2000 Joseph Drouhin

Red wines

Sequoia Grove 1999 Cabernet Sauvignon
Château Cos d'Estournel 1998 Saint-Estèphe

Port

Warre's Twenty Year Old Tawny
Dow's 20 Year Old Tawny Port

Last edited by ylwae; Feb 14, 2006 at 11:44 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:36 pm
Suspended

I hope that the comment about being jealous of flying in F was a joke. The tone of the comment seemed to indicate that any future criticism of ones F experience is no longer welcomed.

Anyway, I must also admit that service in C on recent flights with SQ has been VERY lacking. I don't know what's happening with SQ, but they really aren't what they used to be... It's very hit and miss nowadays.

Shame.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:30 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by UA 882
I hope that the comment about being jealous of flying in F was a joke. The tone of the comment seemed to indicate that any future criticism of ones F experience is no longer welcomed.
Hahahaha, good joke! (It was a joke, I hope?)
Old Feb 25, 2006, 1:54 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by UA 882
Anyway, I must also admit that service in C on recent flights with SQ has been VERY lacking. I don't know what's happening with SQ, but they really aren't what they used to be... It's very hit and miss nowadays.

Shame.
Not in my experience (many many flights). Indeed a recent EK F flight I felt was materially worse than SQ C in almost every aspect.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fliar
Hahahaha, good joke! (It was a joke, I hope?)
We should ask freeupgrade.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:21 am

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.