Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

CI BKK to TPE in J

Hi all,

February 2, 2006
CI 694 BKK-TPE Lv1335 Arr1805 Airbus A340-300 B-18802

Photo Link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5bshw

Here are the rest of the reports. I guess I will divide up the report according to the airline that I flew. So you can find this information easier to read. Let start from China Airlines, a controversial airline and little written about it. I select this particular flight because it is cheap (even cheaper than KL this time), and I sort of want to fly the Airbus A340 with the Dynasty Supreme Class, which is an enhanced or combined F/J product that CI is trying out on longer and thinner routes. Well the verdict is that the new seats are much nicer especially the deeper recline and better pitch, but will it justify extra miles to upgrade on? Not sure… I don’t understand why CI thinks that they can charge more on upgrades, if it happens on be on a Dynasty Supreme Class cabin (a.k.a Airbus A340). It is still not a full flat seats like Virgin’s Upper Class or Air Zealand Business Premier, not even CX or SQ type seats.

Anyway, the day began uneventfully. I arrived at BKK a bit earlier than expected because I need to go to the UA office to sign some authorization for some tickets that I am issuing for friends. I arrived three and half-hours prior to arrival and was surprised that the counter was not opened. I always expect airlines to open their counters four hours prior especially lots of folks are connecting to the US. Anyway, I was the first one on line and got my boarding pass and lounge pass.

CI Dynasty lounge in BKK was okay. The décor was Chinese and there was free wifi service, but my only complaint is the lack of ample desktop computer space. Those tables are sort of small. Drinks are self-served with the typical stuff, and foods are limited to sandwiches, fruits, cup noodles, buns and nuts. The lounge remained quiet till a large crowd (about 20-30 folks with kids) coming in. They were all from some conference or some government thing and got connections to enter the lounge. Let just say quietness are gone in a second. Then after checking emails, I left the lounge and watched planes.

List of planes:
LTU’s A330 (-200 looks like) D-ALPB, SQ 772 9V-SQI, CX 744 B-HKD (CX 713), Aeroflot’s IL-96 (?) RA-96010, Dragonair’s A321 B-HTH, TG 744 HS-TGB to NRT, EVA air’s 74E B-16461, Emirates’ 773 A6-EBA, Transaero’s 767-200 VP-BQB, a green colored Russian Airlines’ A310 VP-BTT with www.s7.ru -- not sure what airline it is…

The aircraft arrived early from TPE but boarding did not start till 1pm. The purser was welcoming passenger at Door one, and F/As immediately swung into actions, as J and Y are 100% full. Slippers and headsets were at the pockets in front of us, and F/As immediately offered newspapers, and then the pre-takeoff beverage with a bag of mixed nuts. Door was closed at 1:27pm and everything seemed to be in a rush, as the F/As were busy with J cabin. Hot towels were offered as usual, and then we headed towards Runway 21R. Ironically, we followed the KLM’s Boeing 747-400 PH-BFD with Asia label, which was also heading to TPE.

We took off at 1:52pm and flying time was three hours and two minutes. We climbed up to 33,000feet and the routing too us over Surin and DaNang and then headed towards TPE. There was a nose and belly cam, and they were cool. But nothing much to see after passing Vietnam. The entertainment program was turned on after takeoff automatically, and it was touch screen. There was a bit of delay after each command, but good system. I watched some Taiwanese TV throughout the flight. News was replayed in the main screen again and again. Strange!

The meal service was pretty elaborate for this flight especially compared to KLM’s service that I flew last year. KL headed for the one tray thing, and CI meal took nearly the whole flight. Beverage order was taken by hand, and served individually with a plate of canapé, which consists of some vegetable mousse on top of a cherry tomato, a Japanese maki roll – crab, asparagus wrapped with fish roe, and a salami, feta cheese, and pesto pancake. Then menu was passed out and the F/As made an effort to announce the entrée choices. Then linen was placed on each table, and the appetizer trolley rolled out with beverage cart followed. For entrée, it follows CX approach and allows you to view the entrees before selecting it. And then the fruit plate was passed out, followed by the dessert trolley. An individual box of chocolate was placed on each tray. The service was really nice. Here is the ine list and menu transcript.

Wine list
Champagne
J.M. Gremillet, Brut

White Wine
Chablis Chardonnay 2004, France, Raoul Clerget
Chardonnay, Lodi County 2004, USA, Leaping House
Premier Selection, Riesling 2004, Australia, Lindemans

Red Wine
Bordeaux – Haut-Medoc Saint-Paul 2002, France, Chateau Saint-Paul
Cabernet Sauvignon, Mendocino County, 2003, USA, Bonterra vineyards
Premium Selection, Shiraz Cabernet 2004, Australian, Lindemans

Lunch
Smoked Halibut Sliced with Roast Pumpkin
Garden Green Salad with French Vinaigrette Dressing
Strange combination… I preferred higher quality smoked fish, like tuna or salmon. The garden salad was basically lettuce, shredded carrots, and cherry tomato.

Main Dish
Beef Fillet with rosemary red wine sauce and served with potatoes
Or
Chicken in red curry “Massaman” Thai Style and served with rice
Or
Prawn with Garlic Sauce and served with noodles
I had the prawns, which was quite delicious. The noodles were the thin egg noodles.

Dessert
Decordel Chocolate tart with Vanilla sauce
I had the tart, which was quite sumptuous
Or
Assorted Sherbets

Fresh Seasonal Fruit Selection
Melon, papaya, grapes, Pomelo, and apple

The rest of the flight went by quickly and at 5:24pm Taiwan local time, we began our descent. We landed on R/W05 at 5:54pm and parked at gate A6 five minutes later.

In general, China Airlines is always a very customer-oriented airline with a good team of F/As, as well as good catering. The AVOD system is decent enough (not CX or SQ, but good selections). The English speaking ability of F/As can be worked on further, but on the USA flights, those F/As are usually stronger in their English. However, I think CI can work on getting their passengers obeying signs, like no one should get off their seats until the flight was fully stopped. At one point, some passenger attempt to stand up to use the restroom or to fetch carryon during final approach. The F/As literally jumped out from their seats and made additional PA announcements and even headed toward the passenger. Anyway, I won’t hesitate to fly CI in the future, and sort of look forward them joining Skyteam and flying their IAH services that I strangely want to fly. So amazing that an Asian airline flying into Houston!
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Thanks Carfield. I haven't seen much info on CI.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Those are Delta's BE seats. Interesting.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 7:24 pm

Programs: OZ*G
This is my first post on this site. Hi everyone!!!
Decent report. Always a delight to see a report originating from my home town airport BKK. Thanks though.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:59 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
How did you get wireless in the lounge would appreciate info on this

I really hope they dont join Skyteam who are basically 2nd division airlines with staff to match
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

:)

Just turned on the computer and then your wireless network.

I used an MAC, so they just automatically found the signal.

Thanks,
Carfield
Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:31 am
Suspended

Did you feel safe?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by Carfield
Just turned on the computer and then your wireless network.

I used an MAC, so they just automatically found the signal.

Thanks,
Carfield
Carfield, an excellent report as usual!
I know CI has been working hard to be safe. Also, I personally can't wait till CI joins Skyteam!
I completely agree with you.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:12 am

Programs: BA GLD
Thanks, Carfield. Enjoyable report as usual. Good pics, too. Always amazed by the quality of service provided on most Asian carriers. Keep up the good work.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:01 pm

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
Houston ?

When are they starting their IAH services? Would love to give them a try. Hopefully once they join Skyteam their award availabilty will be decent.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Definitely safe

I never have any doubt about "safety" with China Airlines especially I am flying some of the newer a/c owned by CI. I feel 100% safe -- no more and no less safer than my UA flight this morning.

About IAH, CI has already been flying three times a week from TPE to IAH via SEA.

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Carfield
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report, but I'm still very queasy about CI and KE, even if they have good service. I'm not convinced that their pilot training and/or maintenance is up to standard.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
so maybe you can explain in more detail and qualify your statement which is wooley to say the least and please advise what is different in their pilot training to any other airline
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Miraculously, SteveFenton and I are agreeing on something!
Both CI and KE did have pilot training and/or maintenance issues in the 90s, but have not had problems for several years now. In fact, I know that DL took over some aspects of KE's pilot training in the late 90s. I think those issues are mostly behind both CI and DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.