Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling without cardholder

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2006, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
Travelling without cardholder

I was supposed to be flying to LIS next week with Oyster's mother on a cheapie I class but I cannot go. Is there any issue with my mother travelling alone given that I am the paying cardholder on the PNR?

And should I cancel my flight or just no-show?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oyster
I was supposed to be flying to LIS next week with Oyster's mother on a cheapie I class but I cannot go. Is there any issue with my mother travelling alone given that I am the paying cardholder on the PNR?

Don't jst no-show. Do OLCI, and take the seat next to her, so Mrs Oyster can have an empty seat next to her.

She can tell them as she boards that you "got delayed and missed the flight"
Old Jan 30, 2006, 5:50 am

She can tell them as she boards that you "got delayed and missed the flight"
I would be interested to hear if this works. If she checks in any baggage, then, in theory, the bags should be offloaded and left behind as we would assume that, because they checked in together, the contents of the baggage belong to both parties!!!

In theory, the baggage should not be carried until we know Mrs Oyster has actually arrived in Lisbon!!!

If this doesn't happen, then it's another breach of security down to this infernal self-service concept!!!
Old Jan 30, 2006, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by oyster

I'd give your mother the card I used to make the booking. Check-in will ask for it, and it seems to cause all sorts of bother if it cannot be produced. How people manage with corporate bookings made by a secretary with some corporate card I don't know. But I do know it is another area where "computer says no" is a real problem.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bealine
I would be interested to hear if this works. If she checks in any baggage, then, in theory, the bags should be offloaded and left behind as we would assume that, because they checked in together, the contents of the baggage belong to both parties!!!

In theory, the baggage should not be carried until we know Mrs Oyster has actually arrived in Lisbon!!!

If this doesn't happen, then it's another breach of security down to this infernal self-service concept!!!
But surely they are not "checking in together".

Mr O. checks in on line, prints his BP.
Mrs O. goes to airport, checks in, has bags checked in against her name.

Surely you don't mean that if Mr O missed his flight, they wouldn't let Mrs O's luggage go. That doesn't make any sense.

Admit there is technically a security issue, if she declated at check-in that this is Mr and Mrs O's luggage. But she wouldn't. And even if she did, they shouldn't be checking in his luggage if he isn't present.

There's no reason why this wouldn't work.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:21 am

Admit there is technically a security issue,
Bloody right (understatement of the year) - there is an enormous security issue!!! Mr Oyster, by virtue of the fact he is checked in has knowingly declared an intention to travel. At no point at check in would Mrs O be asked if Mr O's possessions are in her bag and even a verbal negative to the question at the gate is insufficient - According to the DeTR, in this situation Mrs O's baggage should definitely be offloaded.

If anyone doubts the gravity of this - this is exactly how bombs have managed to get on to aircraft - especially if a jealous husband wanted to dispose of his wife in the process!!! It has been done!!!

Last edited by bealine; Jan 30, 2006 at 7:31 am
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bloody right (understatement of the year) - there is an enormous security issue!!! Mr Oyster, by virtue of the fact he is checked in has knowingly declared an intention to travel. At no point at check in would Mrs O be asked if Mr O's possessions are in her bag and even a verbal negative to the question at the gate is insufficient - According to the DeTR, in this situation Mrs O's baggage should definitely be offloaded.

If anyone doubts the gravity of this - this is exactly how bombs have managed to get on to aircraft - especially if a jealous husband wanted to dispose of his wife in the process!!! It has been done!!!
But surely the check-in agents should NOT be checking in other people's luggage if they are not present at check-in? You are saying that several people on one PNR, the agents would assume that this is the luggage of all of them, even if they aren't present? Surely they should refuse to check it in, until the people it belongs to are physically there at check in?

I don't understand the logic. That several people intending to travel together. One makes it to the airport on time (with her luggage). The other misses the flight (having done OLCI, and having still his luggage with him).

Yet this would be a problem for the one that checked in, with their (only their) luggage. Can't see any logic in this at all.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Sounds a little confusing to me.

Are you saying that if two people (whether married or simply working for the same company) are on the same PNR and one of them OLCI's but does not travel - a situation which happens hundreds of times a day in a business context - then the second passenger should not be allowed to check in baggage?

Similarly, if I buy a ticket for me and my girlfriend in separate transactions, and then I choose not to travel after OLCI? We will be on separate PNR's so BA has no way of knowing we are in any way connected. Because this is the obvious way of getting around the situation you highlight above ....
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So let me get this right. If there are other passengers in your PNR, then it is assumed when you are checking in, that you are carrying luggage belonging to other people in your booking? Huh?

And they ask you if you are carrying anything belonging to anyone else, and you say no, they still asume you are carrying things belonging to other passengers in the booking.

That is completely bizarre. In that case, it would be best for every single passenger to travel under a separate booking reference.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:05 am

That is completely bizarre. In that case, it would be best for every single passenger to travel under a separate booking reference.
Only if one or more of them intends to check-in and then not travel!!!
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:30 am

one of them OLCI's but does not travel - a situation which happens hundreds of times a day in a business context
It doesn't happen hundreds of times a day! ......and, for the handful where it does happen, very rarely is there any hold baggage involved!

Last edited by bealine; Jan 30, 2006 at 8:52 am
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:18 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
It's really very simple...

Oyster's mother and/or Oyster calls BA. They ask them to put a note in the booking stating that it is a "third party booking". At check-in, the passenger will not be required to produce the credit card used to make the purchase.

It has worked for me every single time.

Last edited by SchmeckFlyer; Jan 30, 2006 at 10:24 am
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
It's really very simple...

Oyster's mother and/or Oyster calls BA. They ask them to put a note in the booking stating that it is a "third party booking". At check-in, the passenger will not be required to produce the credit card used to make the purchase.

It has worked for me every single time.
Brilliant!!! Win - win all round!!!

If the self-service / OLCI ends in tears, it will be because of selfish p**ts who try to block an empty seat, not realising the full implications!!!
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:28 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
Oyster's mother and/or Oyster calls BA. They ask them to put a note in the booking stating that it is a "third party booking".
It may also be worth a try asking BA to convert the 2nd booking into an Extra Seat ("EXST") for the travelling PAX...
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KVS
It may also be worth a try asking BA to convert the 2nd booking into an Extra Seat ("EXST") for the travelling PAX...
Yes, say he's turned into a Cello overnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.