DL vs. AA in Biz, USA-GIG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2006, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA

MSP-EWR
Seat 3A, F class
7:03am scheduled departure, On time
I got a battlefield upgrade at the last second, leaving my friend in 5E. I got a meal, but it was an average NWA F meal (no choice, an ok egg dish). I would have preferred the old Rice Crispies with banana meal, actually.
Still, a full F cabin meant that my seat 3A actually had LESS legroom than row 5 (bulkhead of coach). So not getting the upgrade would have been ok too.
A perfectly pleasant flight, about 90% full. I actually had thought it would have been more full, since it was the morning after xmas, but no.

EWR-ATL
Seat 1C/D, F Class
One hour late, due to T-storms in ATL.
We arrived into EWR and were thrilled to see that NWA and DL share the same small terminal, so we didn’t have to exit security. We went straight to the DL lounge, where the attendant checked us in for EWR-ATL-GIG. With no luggage, she could do it.
The EWR lounge is just ok, with a few snacks and drinks, and a bartender. I prefer the NWA lounges (there is one across the hall, actually) since they have self-serve everything, and usually have a few more snack choices.
The DL agent actually put us on an earlier EWR-ATL flight, which we were grateful for, since we only had about an hour in ATL for connecting, with 4 hours in EWR.
So we hung out in the DL lounge for a bit, then went over to NWA (I have a NWA lounge access card with my Asian World Perks address).
I asked about free Wi-Fi, and was told that the Port Authority doesn’t let them offer it, even though they have all the equipment and are ready to turn it on. Too bad!
Boarding time came, so we went to the DL flight, and were seated in 1C/D on the 757. Drinks service with a few nibbles offered, including granola bars and peanuts, etc.
Very friendly service, actually.

ATL Business Elite Lounge
Quite nice, with a small buffet of hot and cold snacks, more than just the usual cheese and crackers. Even some small cakes, as well as some salads, pastas, etc.
Extremely busy when we were there, very little reading material, but friendly bar service.

ATL-GIG
Seats 3F/G, BusinessElite Class
One hour late
Flight was completely full in Biz, but I must say it was a very professional, friendly crew. Food was good, with 4 choices, of which they ran out of at least 2. We got our first choices, which was a pasta bowl with grilled shrimp skewer. (Sorry, I forgot the menu!)
Really quite nice. Staff was friendly, highly energized, the only fault I’d say is that it was a bit rushed service, and you’re offered cheese, fruit, OR sundae--not all 3, like on many airlines. Still, it was done and we could get a long sleep on the 9-hour flight.
As for the seats, though, they are 2-2-2, so quite cramped, but still very comfortable for sleeping, I thought.
Breakfast was a simple omelet with cereal, fruit, hot breakfast breads. IFE is a bit limited. Overall, a good flight because of the great service.

GIG-MIA (Originally ticketed as GIG-ATL-EWR-MSP, became GIG-MIA-ATL-MSP)
AA 904, Seat 1E

We arrived about 2 hours before the flight, and that was perfect, even with a 20-minute wait to check in at the mobbed DL Biz Elite desk.

We had enough time in the AF lounge for a quick email check (where I found out that my EWR-MSP segment had been cancelled already, and I'd been rebooked onto a flight arriving 3 hours later--and my travel companion 6 hours later--he was now via DTW!). We'd be flying GIG-ATL-EWR-DTW-MSP... with 3 hours in ATL, 2 in EWR, and 2.5 in DTW..... ick!
The AF lounge is very average--nicely appointed, free Wi-Fi, plenty of drinks but nothing to eat other than salty snacks like Doritos and peanuts.

And then, things got interesting:
BE had been zero'd out for several months, though a few days before departure they'd had J1C0. Anyway, upon arriving at the gate from the lounge, there was a total scrum at the ticket desk: BE was oversold by 5 (It was 35/30 seats)--and all had been checked in, none told of the situation! So the Station Manager was in the process of downgrading those without seat assignments ("I have one of you in BE, one in an exit row in Economy,", he said to a couple).
He was offering no compensation, but was offering an AA flight in J via MIA departing at the same time (22:55). Nobody wanted that, but my friend and I asked, "Can you get us all the way to MSP?", (without mentioning that our DL itinerary ended in EWR, with a NWA award flight connecting to MSP).......thinking we could arrive at a reasonable time, none the worse for wear.
But it was literally 22:30, and we were now willing VDB candidates. No mention of compensation, though I thought we'd probably get something. (In the end, we got $100 for our troubles in ATL). 3 people I think ended up flying in Y with paid BE tickets. Not sure why they didn’t take the AA flights, though if they had bags it could have been tricky. Does DL oversell J class often? This trip was actually our first DL ticket ever.
So we're shipped to the next gate (about 10 feet away), and standing at the AA desk, AA handed us BP stubs with ONLY the following written, in ballpoint pen:
Kyushuman/J
AA 904
2G

That's it. I asked for anything printed out, tried entering my AA Plat #, asking for connection info, and was repeatedly told by AA, "You're in the system, you'll get the first connection, so get on the plane, what are you waiting for?" Yikes--how dumb was this?? MIA won't know anything about us--and we were right about that.
Something very positive, though: The doors close, we were treated very well onboard--excellent service actually--for example: There were our 2 scattered open seats in J, and when we got onboard, obviously harried and completely confused, the purser held us at the door and said, "You were on DL Business and Denied Boarding? Well, now you’re in American Business. Wait a minute." He went right to 2 guys in the first row and asked them to move to our separate open seats toward the rear of J. He came back to us, and said, "I moved those 2 non-revs out of the bulkhead so you guys could sit together. We're going to take good care of you."
We slept like babies, eating the “Light Dinner” and Breakfast, and enjoying the noise-cancelling headsets and the DVD library on the AA 763. Also our first flights on AA ever! A good way to start.

The menu read like this:
LIGHT MEAL:

TO START:
Warm Mixed Nuts

Seafood Appetizer:
Smoked Salmon and Herb-Marinated Shrimp

Soup:
Cream of Tomato, accented by fresh basil

MAIN COURSE:
(All served over mixed greens with sun-dried tomatoes, fresh mozarella cheese, and celery-- or Seasonal Vegetables with herb rice)
Chateaubriand
Grilled Shrimp
Paprika Chicken
I asked about the Steak, and was told that the Steak out of GIG was excellent, and again the Purser was correct--very juicy and flavorful, but a quite small portion.

Lighter Fare:
Cream of Tomato Soup and Mixed Greens salad

CHEESE AND FRUIT:
Gouda and Camembert Cheeses complemented with fresh seasonal grapes and walnuts, with selected crackers

DESSERT:
Ice Cream Sundae
Vanilla ice cream served with a choice of Hot Fudge, Coffee Sauce, or seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream and pecans
or
Grand Marnier Fruit Salad
Offered with strawberry sorbet
(This was excellent!)

If anyone really wants to know the wine list, I can send it to them in a PM.

BREAKFAST

Seasonal Fruit
Cheese Omelet with peppers and roasted potatoes
Yogurt
Cereal with Milk
Warm Breakfast Breads
(Express B'Fast offered 45 minutes prior to landing, just breads and beverages--but they were able to give me slightly more, just not the hot dishes)

It was a good Light Meal, since you really wanted to sleep right away. Service was ok during the meal, though my wine glass was never refilled (I could have asked, but didn’t).
Breakfast was great because they waited until the very last minute to wake me up--like 40 minutes before touchdown. I had a great breakfast for me--just what I like--cereal with milk, fruit, and warmed breads, along with juice and coffee.
We LOVED the DVD player with noise-cancelling headphones on AA! It was just like having AVOD, even better we thought. And the DVD cases were filled with lots of interesting choices. Much better than DL, and even better than NW Biz because (though NW has AVOD) NW chose to be cheap and offer only a few channels.
We watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, then I used the “Sleep” DVD, and I did sleep--more than I did on the DL flight. The only negative was that the flight between GIG and MIA is 1 hour shorter than GIG-ATL, so we got less sleep than we would have otherwise.

So all in all a very pleasant flight, especially considering the late changes. What I liked was that the Purser took us aboard and treated us as if we’d paid for AA all along, even though we showed up as they were preparing to shut the door.
Also of note: A pax in Y was refusing to listen to FA orders, so the guy was brought to the front of the plane while we taxied back to the gate. He was really getting argumentative, and the Purser and Captain both came down hard on him--if he uttered another word, the handcuffs were going to be put on him! They’d already gotten the cuffs, ready to use them. They were serious. When the Purser announced the guy was gone, Y pax erupted in applause! I will assume that means they agreed that he should be kicked off, and it wasn’t just an edgy, bossy FA issue (which I’ve also seen before). I was impressed at how AA dealt with it.

Upon arriving into MIA, we really lucked out: We must have been the first flight to arrive, because we just walked to the front of the line at INS. After we’d gone thru, w looked back and saw lines forever!
We found out from INS that my name was spelled wrong on the pax manifest, AND my passport # had been entered "12345678". Let's just say I was lucky to get an agent in a good mood! He sent me on my way. At the AA ticket desk in MIA, we found out we'd been rebooked on a flight at 20:00--18 hours later!!! Yikes. But we weren’t ticketed anyway, since.... DL had never done the correct paperwork (called a FIM, or Flight Interruption Manifest) to send us over to AA, so we dragged ourselves across the MIA terminal to the DL counters where they took mercy upon us and just put us in F, MIA-ATL-MSP. We arrived an hour BEFORE our originally scheduled flights! Yay.

Even though it ended up working out well, I think DL and AA both messed up--DL overselling and over-checking-in BE and not dealing with it until the last second, AA accepting pax but not following through with processing the information to send to MIA. Once the doors were closed, both forgot us. I am SURE there are internal procedures that weren't followed by both DL and AA, because of time constraints--but once the flights left, there were 9 hours before they arrived in the USA.
In the end, it worked out great--but I learned a few things: Be sure not to get on a plane without a printed copy of your itinerary, and ask for compensation at the originating point.
I followed up with DL Customer Care, which wasn't interested in hearing the story, since we'd been placed into J on AA--they said that's all DL needs to do (apparently, they DON’T have to do a FIM!). I ended up just asking DL to be sure and follow up on boarding/overselling procedures in GIG, happy with our improved connecting times and the $100 vouchers offered to us in ATL at a ticket counter. The GIG Station Manager blamed ATL for overselling, DL Customer Care blamed the GIG operations. Cute!
I guess I'm used to NWA Customer Care, where they dish out FF miles and vouchers like confetti when things don't go as planned in paid business class. No wonder NW is bankrupt!

SO TO COMPARE INFLGHT SERVICE ON AA AND DL IN J ON THIS ROUTE, BOTH ON A BOEING 763:

FOOD: DL by a hair, since they serve an actual meal,versus the “light meal” on AA, even though it’s a late departure time.

IFE: AA, since their DVD players have many more choices, and they offer noise-cancelling headphones. DL’s IFE was just okay, with not too many choices and a smallish screen anyway.

SERVICE: Both were sursprisingly good--I’ve really heard plenty of bad reviews of both. I think with the very experienced (read: older) crews, you’re not going to have overly fawning service, but they all know exactly what to do, so you can pretty much count on getting the basics done well. DL seemed more familiar, more friendly, while AA was slightly more professional--but neither was overwhelmingly better.

SEAT: Very similar. Neither has great recline or pitch; for some reason, we slept better on the AA seats, though maybe this was the result of a 7-day trip to Rio over New Year tiring us out!

MIA-ATL
ATL-MSP
DL F class, seats 1A/B

MIA lounge was just barely ok, with coffee and juices, a windowless room! Yuck. ATL lounge was nicer, with a few snacks. Both flights were on DL MD-80s, both in F class. Neither offered any food service other than a decent snack basket. Drinks were refilled, service was reasonably good, but nothing memorable. Flights were generally on time, though ATL-MSP was a bit late arriving due to weather. We still arrived back into MSP an hour before our original schedule, and about 5-6 hours before we would have had we taken the GIG-ATL-EWR-DTW-MSP flights!

Last edited by kyushuman; Jan 16, 2006 at 6:37 pm
Old Jan 17, 2006, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Nice report.

I recently flew DL in BE ATL-SCL-ATL and was very impressed with the service. I'd consider it for paid J in the future.

Oh yah, I was even offered the cheese/fruit AND the ice cream sundae.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Why not try MSP-IAH-GRU-GIG on CO? Seems like an easier time than going out east first.. Well, maybe next time.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by oopsz
Why not try MSP-IAH-GRU-GIG on CO? Seems like an easier time than going out east first.. Well, maybe next time.
I'm actually going that way on an award ticket soon.
But this great ticket was only $1100 in PAID J class, EWR-GIG. So we didn't have any other choice. I'm sure I'll do a Trip Report on my CO trip in April!
Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:38 am

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Sounds like a fun trip! $1100 for paid J isn't too bad. That's a few status points!

kyushy, why no mention of how GIG was and what you did?

And why the mention of a return trip? Did you get a little latin fever while down there?
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olafman
Sounds like a fun trip! $1100 for paid J isn't too bad. That's a few status points!

kyushy, why no mention of how GIG was and what you did?

And why the mention of a return trip? Did you get a little latin fever while down there?
Some excellent questions..... is it your prep time now?
Yes, paid J for $1100 over New Year is really excellent.
GIG was gorgeous--as were the Carioca men!
And yes, I was MOSTLY well behaved. Which is why I need to go back in early April (a week after the PSP 'DO) and make up for that...you should join me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.