VS19 - LHR to SFO (Upper Class) w/pics

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, Hilton Gold, BA Blue
VS19 - LHR to SFO (Upper Class) w/pics

London Heathrow (LHR) to San Francisco (SFO) – 30th November 2005

Flight: VS19

I arrived at the airport for around 08:30 for my flight at 11:00, ive never flow VS before but have experienced upper class check-in at Heathrow when my housemate flew to Miami earlier in the year. Upper Class check-in LHR needs reviewing IMO. As I arrived the guy guarding check-in asked me for my ticket which I didn’t have as I held an e-ticket. I also didn’t have a print out of the booking as I’ve never been asked for it before normally your passport will suffice. The guard directed me to Virgin ticketing desk to get a print out of my booking, which took around 5 minutes as the girl had problems with the computer. I then moved one desk along to check-in where the lady knew all my booking details as she probably overheard. My bags where labelled and boarding pass issued but no priory tag put on (but not a major problem).

Fast Track

Went upstairs to join the FastTrack security line which was quite long it took around 10 mintues to get through the normal que was even worse. Got through and went to the new clubhouse, was greeted by 2 lovely ladies at the entrance where they found my booking using there touch screen computers and I was in with a welcome to the Clubhouse. First impression of the place was good I’ve seen the some photos on the net from other flyers, I through it would be bigger but I’m sure that’s going to change when the 2nd phase opens next year. At this time the lounge was fairly empty with only a few people around the bar / deli area. I took a seat around the main seating area where I got my laptop out to do some work. Moments later a waiter asked me if I wanted anything to eat which was nice change from the Birmingham’s (BHX) BA lounge where it’s a help yourself policy and no cooked food. So I went for the breakfast and 10 minutes later it arrived with drink offers quite regularly and a check to make sure that everything was ok. I wanted to use the internet and my computer could pickup a number of different networks but the Clubhouse uses T-mobile internet which you have to subscribe to but they have plenty of computers free so I jumped onto the net to check my e-mails.

At 09:30 I had my treatment booked at the Cowshed, I went for the wet shave, this was really nice and would recommend it (for the men that is!). I then wanted to get a hair cut but all the hair dressers were busy and I would be at the back of the line as you should have one treatment per visit. So I opted for a shower instead which did the trick. During my shower my flight was called so I got dressed and grabbed a quick drink at the bar before heading down to gate 38.

Boarding

Priory boarding lines where in operation so it was only a few moments before I was onboard the aircraft and settled into my seat 6K, it was ‘Ruby Tuesday’ a Heathrow 747-400 suite aircraft.

Departure was quick and as we cruised to 35,000 ft the seat belt sign soon went out. The aircraft was fitted with Odyssey which was a little disappointment as I heard loads of good things about Vport. There were a couple of films I wanted to see so not a major problem. The cabin crew started the lunch service I didn’t go for the full lunch at this time as I was still quite full from the breakfast in the clubhouse so I went for a ‘Small Bite’. I had the Steak & Onion Ciabatta sandwich at the bar. The upper class cabin was pretty empty there where around six passengers on each deck. I spent quite a lot of time at the bar just reading various papers and virgin’s in-flight mag. While at the bar the in-flight entertainment system broke down and passengers where only able to watch one channel, after watching 2 virgin Atlantic stewardess trying to fix the problem for 10 minutes as the in-flight entertainment system is just by the bar success and all the channels where back online. While at the bar a Premium Economy passenger kept on helping herself to chocolates which where on the bar. Pretty cheeky!

After a while and quite a few drinks I went back to my seat, I asked for the inseat power lead for my laptop. After working for a while I worked up an appetite so called the stewardess and asked for some lunch. I choose the Soup, Steak and Ice Cream. The food was good, and the presentation was excellent.

Lunch

Starters

1: Seasonal leaf salad with gravadlax, red & yellow peppers, cherry tomatoes and dill dressing.

2: cream of asparagus, Gruyere and tarragon soup served with a choice of warm breads.

Main Courses

Chicken breast wrapped in pancetta served with herb gnocchi, mixed leaves and provencal sauce

Grilled steak served with dauphinoise potatoes, fresh seasonal vegetables and horeradish sause

Vegetable lasagne topped with sun-blushed tomatoes and chives

Cheese

Shropshire Blue
Rich & creamy cheese with a crumbly texture

Camembert
Creamy and strong to taste with a bloomy white rind

Mature Cheddar
Semi-hard mature cheddar, sharp to taste

Cheeses are offered with assorted crackers and gamish

Dessert

Fruits of the forest tart with a pstachio tuile

Mango & lime ice cream on its own or drizzled with summer berry sauce

Smaller Bites

Warm Steak & Onion ciabatta sandwich

chicken spring roll served with hoi sin sauce

Jacket potato filled with cheese & leek and topped with sour cream & chives

Afternoon Tea

Sandwich selection of egg mayonnaise on oatmeal bread, poached salmon & watercress on malted granary bread and chicken & peppers on sun-dried tomato bread

Ginger scones served with clotted cream and strawberry jam

Your choice from the cake stand - pistachio eclair, toffee symphony and apricot & almond pastry

After I had the meal, I decided to have a bit of a lie-down while watching a couple of films.

Later on I made my way back to the bar, where I got chatting to the cabin supervisor who was lovely telling me about there schedules and where she was going to be next week (“New York - Good for the Christmas Shopping”). While I was at the bar I was offered to fill in customer comments form which I did as I didn’t have anything else to do (as I read the day’s FT twice). I was able to make my comments about the upper check-in plus a couple weeks later Virgin sent me a 2006 calendar (Jan Pic) which is quite nice on my desk.

Just before arrival we were offered afternoon tea which was fine a nice light snack before arrival. As we landed and taxied to the stand, they opened up door 2L and 3L, I managed to grab my coat and be the first off the plane which is good news for immigration. Immigration in SFO doesn’t have a fast track for premium passengers but was quickly through as there where not that many people around at the time. Shortly after getting another stamp in my passport my bag arrived fairly quickly and I was off onto the train into San Francisco.

Overall I was quite impressed with virgin’s suite, the bed better than BA’s but still slightly too small (length ways). The service was excellent onboard and in the lounge but their check-in needs revaluating.

Dom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.