Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

RIC-IAD-LHR: UA & BA Club World Sleeper Service (w/pics)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2005, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)

Following my 84 day stay in the US it was time to go back to the UK for Xmas and New Year, a good opportunity to see my friends and family. This trip was initially booked in August and my girlfriend was expected to join me on the trip although following an unfortunate incident during my stay it was decided wise I made the trip alone. The RIC-IAD legs were booked in late November for convenience and to avoid the combined hassles of I-95, Manassas and general Christmas Eve traffic concerns. However it also offered the opportunity for me to take my shortest commercial flight to date and a trip from my new local airport.

The trip as a whole began, as it always does when a BA sector is involved, the night before on a computer somewhere. I checked in for my BA flight from IAD to LHR and despite numerous Mac, printer, OLCI software and Internet woes I was able to print my boarding pass off to ease my transit at Dulles.

Due to the fact my luggage was due to be checked right through from Richmond to Heathrow I took a little caution and followed the United website which said I needed to check-in two hours before an international flight if I had checked bags. Although my short connecting flight was domestic I was interlining with an international flight so went with this. Erring on the side of caution maybe but it allowed some quality time for me to spend with my girlfriend and I couldn’t afford for my case not to make it!

It was my first time at Richmond airport and the construction of the new parking garages looked complete although the curbside area was still behind high wooden boards. A number of people were checking in curbside although I saw no UA desks so went down the temporary path to the old terminal building. Glances to my left and upward about 100ft gave me a great view of the steel frame making up the new departure area that reminded me of a small version of Dulles main terminal!

The UA check-in desks were about halfway down the line of desks and were manned by two agents. I’d picked a good time to arrive as there was nobody in line, even so I made use of the priority check-in line! Formalities completed, boarding pass checked for presence of LH FF number, the unlocking of luggage (Thank you TSA ) I was handed back gold boarding pass wallet and shiny boarding pass. My girlfriend and I then made our way to the Smokehouse restaurant that offered great views of the apron and runways. We enjoyed a couple of beers over the space of an hour or so and made upcoming plans for our February vacation. The weather was beautiful and it was nice to have such a good view of the runway. A Delta MD-80 (I think) landed and taxied right to the gate in front of us, dwarfing the other regional jets that populated most of the airport.

Around 30mins before the stated boarding time I said my goodbyes and went through the empty security point towards Concourse B, some very jolly TSA folks this Xmas Eve which was nice to see! I subsequently walked down to Gate B11 where my flight to Washington awaited me. The new concourse was very airy and spacious and pleasant to spend 30 or so minutes waiting for the flight. Some flight crew came in and out of the locked doors for some time and a couple non-revving were sat beside me worrying about not making this flight or their 37 minute connection at Dulles (some serious MCT issues there!). Alas the gate agent put their fears to rest as it was apparent the flight would only be 50% full there or thereabouts.

Our Embraer 145 waiting at Gate B11 for the short flight to Dulles

A boarding announcement was made for Star Gold, UA 1K and UA Premier Exec members (I thought the aforementioned tiers were Star Gold but there you go ) and embarrassingly I was the only person to stand up and board. Felt a bit of a fool as everyone watched me go down the jet way, and as I left general boarding was announced. Our FA for the flight Bobbie, was very cheery and welcomed me aboard and showed me to 1A, a rather nice seat in the 1-2 configured aircraft as I was across the aisle from the galley, although had no overhead space. As a positive I must have had about an extra four inches of legroom if not more! My bags were parked for a few minutes and she said that maybe as I was in ‘First Class’ I’d get an extra snack or peanuts I was rather taken aback to be honest as I knew this flight was short so expected nothing in terms of service beyond a smile! Bobbie then asked if I wanted my large Xmas present bag put in the closet (which I accepted) and said she’d try and accommodate me in a double seat close to the front of the aircraft to get a little more room for me. Everyone else boarded past me sat right by the door, this included a number of deadheading crew and as it happened 4B & 4C were vacant. I moved back there and put on my noise cancelling headphones to prepare for the short flight. The views promised to be spectacular as there wasn’t a cloud in the sky and we were informed we’d climb to no more than 14,000 ft. I spotted a Delta Connection CRJ out of the window and took a picture.

Delta CRJ on stand next to us

We pushed back and taxied to runway 16, the longest of RIC’s at just over 9000ft. The takeoff, thanks to Bose, was pretty silent and as we banked I saw a number of helicopters at the National Air Guard base. The climb was spectacular and although I didn’t get to see my apartment I wasn’t disappointed. I noticed a few places I’ve visited or passed through during my numerous stays in the area. Getting an aerial view of your local area is always fascinating and I took a few pictures.

Central Virginia from ca. 8000ft

During the climb Bobbie came over on the PA system to inform there was a drinks service done from the galley for anyone who wanted it on a case by case basis. I wasn’t thirsty but the guy across from me was ordering two Canada Drys during the 15mins or so of cruise! In between serving Mr Thirsty in 4A, Bobbie made a real fuss of the baby behind me in 5C and I have to say I was very impressed with how personable she was throughout the whole flight ^. It appeared the flight plan was following I-95 for most of the flight and it was visible just below us at times. Although it was hard to gauge whether I’d avoided any traffic by taking this flight!

I-95 at the bottom of the photo going from left to right

Out of the window I saw the Rappahannock, a large river I’ve sailed a few times and also the Potomac and the Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge I’ve driven on Route 301 up to Annapolis.

The Potomac River. For those trying to gauge where they are the Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge (You’ll know it if you’ve driven it is beside the red and white chimney at the back of the photo…don’t strain too hard )

A few minutes later Bobbie made an announcement for connecting passengers who I presume made up the majority of those onboard. She also informed us we were to arrive at Concourse C, not the usual Concourse G which saved me taking a shuttle bus You could then feel we were dropping in altitude and plane banked round a touch before coming straight in for landing on 1L. The Udvar-Hazy Museum, still on the ‘to go’ list was seen out of the window. Irritatingly despite my almost 6hr layover the museum closed early and wasn’t sure I’d get it all in so have chosen to make a special visit later next year.

Udvar-Hazy Museum

The super-fast flight was already over and in fact it worked out that the 100 miles took about 23mins in the air, some way ahead of the 1hr scheduled departure time!

As we landed we taxied round right behind a 777 visible to the right, from an ERJ-145 view it looked truly enormous! I noticed a BA 777 on the usual BA stand which suggested an equipment change from the 747-400 I was expecting. Usually I could presume it was operating the early evening departure but this particular day the only BA flight was my 9.55pm departure.

We parked up at the gate and stopped for a few minutes, little happened except I chose this opportunity to get up and move to 1A to retrieve my bags. Quite why when I had a six hour layover I don’t know! However I did get the opportunity to get a picture of the cabin.

Cabin view of this ERJ-145 (Apologies to Mr seat 2A! )

The pilots then announced that we had pulled up short and needed to be pulled forward a few feet so we could get the stairs to deplane. All in all it took about 5mins but I was swiftly off and headed off in search of free booze at the British Airways lounge somewhere down in Concourse D. I knew the lounge would usually be open for the BA216 although was sure my flight BA292, was the only BA flight departing Dulles that day, however the 777 outside and the fact the BA216 was listed on the departure board suggested it was sold out.

I arrived at the BA lounge to find the door locked, with newspapers outside although a sign read it was open at 3.30pm, which happened to be 20mins ago. I knocked and there was no answer, went to the First Lounge and tried the same. Nothing. The AA website that I checked the day before suggested their Admirals Club across the way was only open until noon but headed over there to see whether that information was correct. It was and a piece of paper on the door confirmed this. I headed back some way to one of the three United Red Carpet Clubs at IAD in this concourse; the one at C17 seemed closest so went through the frosted doors and down the stairs. I showed my Lufthansa Senator card and after some tapping and swiping, the chap said the card was expired. He said it seemed strange based on the Feb 2007 validity date on the front so did some more tapping and let me in.

I like this lounge as it is on the lower floor and has views of the apron on both sides of the concourse with the club extending underneath the walkway. I helped myself to some Oreos and a Pepsi and sat watching some guys outside in fluorescent jackets walking around the UA Express CRJ beside my window.

United Express / Air Wisconsin CRJ

For some reason I get itchy feet in airport lounges so went and sat beside the large TV watching Indianapolis Colts at Seattle Seahawks. Quite a few people were glued to the screen including a rather annoying woman who appeared to know even less about football than I do (that is saying a lot ) and shouted something daft whenever anything happened or anyone tackled/missed pass/ran/breathed etc…

United Red Carpet Club at Gate D6

I got so fed up with this I went to the bar with a view over the other side of the Concourse. Picked up a copy of National Geographic Traveller on the way and sat with a pint of Pyramid ($4 damn it! I hate having to pay for alcohol in airline lounges) looking out the window watching what I think was an A319 being prepared for pushback. I find it hard to tell at ground level what half these aircraft are, they all look big! As I watched the baggage handlers load the aircraft I had these visions of my suitcase being kept in some small room and being furtled through and jumped on by some mischievous baggage handler… I believe at times I can get a little paranoid!

United A319? you decide

I had a quick look to see if there were any internet terminals in the business centre now, but no…all phones!

At about 5.30pm I decided to drink up and make my way down the Concourse to the BA lounge, thinking at this stage the lounge would be open for those on BA216. Once again the lounge door was locked, although the newspapers were gone so somebody was at home! I was about to head back to the RCC when I noticed the First Lounge door was ajar. Nobody was at the front desk although I noticed the attendants were stocking the fridge. Although they probably thought I was a fool I explained the situation, showed my boarding pass and they invited me to make myself at home. The last time I was in this lounge ( http://www.airliners.net/discussions...ad.main/56402/ ) it was rather different, over the summer it had a makeover which allowed British Airways to offer the Sleeper Service on BA292. This was to be my first Sleeper Service flight so was intrigued to see what it was like to experience first hand.

It started off well with half size Veuve Clicquot bottles in the fridge ^ which if you are one to judge champagne based on the price is about twice as good as the Monopole Blue Top and Charles de Cazenove offerings I’d had in the LHR Concorde Room on my flight over to Washington ( http://www.airliners.net/discussions...ad.main/65049/ ) . Naturally I helped myself to a bottle, looked at the snacks on offer and settled down somewhere near the corner.

Veuve Clicquot champagne offering in the BA First lounge

Not a few minutes later a family of five from the Indian sub-continent joined me in the lounge and settled in the corner opposite me, I still presumed these folks were on the BA216. Thought there was a fair bit of cash thrown at that trip, or a lot of BA miles A couple more businessmen followed, all of whom were drinking water and making me feel positively alcoholic! I then decided it was time to take a few pictures, including my trademark bear shot before I got too sub conscious about looking like a complete fool. Although to be frank after a few beers and champagnes I couldn’t have cared either way!

BA First Lounge

After a couple of bottles of the Veuve and my consumption in the UA lounge it was time for the bathroom. Stupidly BA didn’t put one in the lounge, but catering for a fairly small market this was almost understandable! I left all my stuff behind and nipped down the Concourse and returned. Was about to explain to the guy on the front desk the situation when after three words he waved me in! Although I quickly shot back to put a note in the guestbook!

I then listened to some music but the guys decided to switch the TV on….to Fox News The noise drowned out my music so I moved to the VIP area that was open, although a screen could be pulled over to keep out the ruffians! Seating was for about 8 in here, so celebrity entourages and hangers-on could come in too , however the furnishings were all identical, because of course at BA everyone gets the VIP treatment This was in comparison of the seating for perhaps 15 in the rest of the lounge. So enough room for a full First cabin and a few BA Golds, although it’d probably feel a little cramped!

More Veuve Clicquot in the VIP section

I listened to some music for about 30mins or so and unfortunately had to leave the lounge briefly again. This was becoming rather annoying now Upon my return the lounge was empty and I stepped into the VIP bit to find a BA suit looking confused standing beside my unattended bags! He informed me since BA had one flight that evening they were closing the First lounge and moving everyone to the Terraces next door where ‘as a First passenger they would accommodate me in the First dining room’. I embarrassingly had to explain the situation and say I was only eligible for the Terraces! He didn’t seem bothered and we walked to the Terraces. I asked to swap out my printed boarding pass for a real one, he gave me some strange looks upon where it was swapped out for a seat on the main deck, 13K. Usually I’d request upper deck though having not tried main deck for some time was contented with window seat and I’d be in the small cabin. He gave me a voucher for pre-flight dining and I took a seat in the corner of the lounge with a copy of Business Traveller magazine. Coincidentally the magazine fell open with an article on my small home town and final destination of this journey!

Newly refurbished BA Terraces Lounge at Dulles

I read the magazine for about 10mins with a glass of white wine before deciding to up-sticks to start the Sleeper Service experience. For those who aren’t aware of this it is a service BA began on a number of overnight flights from the US East Coast and Middle East whereby Club World passengers eat in a restaurant type environment before boarding the aircraft where a much reduced overnight service is on offer. This combined with use of Arrivals Lounge is designed to allow the passenger to get more sleep on the shorter overnight flights.

I showed the girl at the entrance the voucher with my seat number, she took it off me and waved me through. I walked past a buffet and bar area and came to a seating area of about fifty. I took a seat in the corner and went and got myself a plate to start eating!

Entrance to dining area

Buffet service

Seating area

It appeared there were a couple of approaches, the first being a number of prepared dished on hotplates, these included a festive offering of turkey and cranberry, vegetarian friendly lasagne and something else! I took this back to my table and came back to fetch cutlery and a glass of Pinot Grigio.

Turkey with potatoes and salad

The turkey wasn’t too good, the cut itself reminded me too much of boarding school! But the rest was rather good. Tempted to see the other options I went back for more, this time it was prepared in front of me. I chose a meat (beef, shrimp or chicken) then a sauce (Szechwan, korma or something else!) and then a variety of vegetables to accompany rice or noodles. This was mixed right in front of me and pan fried to my liking ^

Beef korma with mushrooms and rice

This was superb! Had I not got the turkey I’d have had another plate of this, and an elderly couple in suits about 30ft away from me were raving about it too! The dining area was rather empty, only another six people in there while I was there although in fairness it was a shade over 2hrs before departure! If it weren’t for my insane layover I wouldn’t have been there…Everyone was dining with a buddy, alas only the chill out music from the nearby stereo was keeping me company tonight but I wasn’t too fussed! I went back to the buffet to get some dessert, chocolate brownies…yum! Too full to enjoy more than a couple though!

On the way out I took a couple of pictures of the accompanying First Dining Room, fortunately for me it was empty! First passengers are not required to dine before the flight as they get a full onboard service, however one can dine before and onboard if one fancies!

First Dining Room

I took a seat back in the lounge and read papers and magazines before an announcement was made for boarding. I went up to the gate and got myself in the Fast Track lane for Club World and First boarding, alas I ended up behind some slow coach with a baby who couldn’t find her boarding pass . She was there mucking about for over a minute (despite the PA that asked to have passport and BP ready) and eventually a BA agent did a scan of the boarding line to check others using the fast lane were in the forward two cabins. As it turned out all but two of the nine were ineligible and were booted out! I was called forward and I managed to glimpse at the woman in front as she retrieved her boarding pass….for 42B OK, so I’m not going to get to London any faster by making a fuss or jumping in front but it annoys me immensely that people are so ignorant to priority lanes and things of the ilk despite numerous announcements and signs!

I headed down the jetway and was welcomed aboard and directed to 13K. Put my bags away and retrieved my First pyjamas to change into. I hadn’t been on the main deck in Club World for about three years, usually the upper so I mistakenly ended up in the burr walnut decorated lavatory I wasn’t going to be a minute so got on with changing and emerged from the bathroom and went back to my seat. The purser asked if I wanted a newspaper, I accepted her invitation and took a copy of the Times which I leafed through as the economy folk drooled their way through Club World on their way back to 31” pitch and tray based food I was then passed a menu and light blue amenity kit, another new colour for my collection, although the contents were identical to previous colours! I took the pursers third invitation, this for champagne and settled in, making sure I didn’t come across as a Club World newbie material by clearing my floor space and putting the seat in takeoff position.

Glass of Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve champagne in 13K

I leafed through the menu for this flight not expecting to see much on offer so I was surprised when I came across the following:

__________________________________________________ ____________

NIGHTCAP
Settle down with a NightCap to help you sleep

Green salad with olive oil dressing

Warm olive oil bread filled with minted shaved lamb, courgette and Gruyere cheese

Or

Warm olive oil bread filled with creamed spinach, leeks and cheese

Or

Hot chocolate with warm chocolate chip cookies

Your choice of hot chocolate, coffee, tea or herbal teas (peppermint, blackcurrant, apple or camomile and honey)

MIDNIGHT MUNCHIES

Should you wake and feel hungry we invite you to the galley are to choose from a variety of snacks from Midnight Munchies, which is available at any time throughout the flight.

BREAKFAST IN BED

Chilled fruit juice

An energising smoothie

Fresh seasonal fruit

Or

Cereals with chilled milk

Or

Warm bacon roll

Or

Warm croissants and muffins

Your choice of coffee or tea

ARRIVALS LOUNGE

Feel revived, refreshed and ready for the day by completing your journey with a visit to the Arrivals Lounge. There you can enjoy a full English or Continental breakfast, take a power shower, catch up on work – even get your suit pressed.

The British Airways Arrivals Lounge is open from 5am to 2pm

WINE

CHAMPAGNE COCKTAILS

Kir Royale

Bucks Fizz

CHAMPAGNE

Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve

WHITE

Estancia Pinnacles Ranches Chardonnay 2003, Monterey

Sancerre La Porte du Caillou, 2004, Henri Bourgeois

RED

Beringer Knights Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2000

Rioja Urbina Reserva Especial 1996

A selection of traditional and modern drinks to suit all tastes including Coca Cola.

There will be a complimentary bar available serving alcoholic beverages and soft drinks.

__________________________________________________ _____________

I pulled up the privacy screen and settled down into my seat, looking out the window listening to some music and after a while it appeared the continuously passing crowds of the last few minutes had ended. The aircraft was prepared for pushback and from where I was sitting I got a good view into the galley. A non-rev passenger was talking to an FA in the galley who had all her bags with her and was then directed to a seat just across the aisle from me. Nice little upgrade for her that flight ^

The new BA safety video was shown on this flight, I had an inkling it would be as I noticed the safety cards on the underside of the ottoman were a new and different design. To be honest this was a long time coming and it was refreshing not to see 8 inch thick laptops, mobile phones with pull out aerials and stonewash jeans!

As always at Dulles in the dark I seem to get confused with where we are but I believe we took off to the north banked round the northern side of the city and then headed almost due east. I ordered some cookies and hot chocolate from the menu which were delicious ^ So warm and nice and soft

Hot chocolate and chocolate chip cookies

I didn’t bother with starting a movie as I was quite eager to get some sleep so swung out my PTV and switched to Skymap. I was treated to a rather nice view of the bright lights of Atlantic City, NJ as we headed up coastline, the line of lights marking the border between sea and land edged ever closer and unfortunately for me I just missed out on what would have been a superb view of New York City to the port side of the aircraft Long Island extended out below me and our track showed us passing over Boston with the lights of Cape Cod jutting out into the Atlantic. At this point I got some duty free shopping out the way, a bottle of gin for free was a nice touch courtesy of a BA Shopping the World coupon

I then got up to find the cabin of 18 seats around half full and so took a couple of new thicker spare blankets from close by to make my seat more comfortable. A trick learnt a few years back to ease the pain of the harder old style bed. Although this was a new dark blue upholstered version and allegedly a softer bed I couldn’t tell much of a difference!

I placed the first blanket on the seat sandwiching myself between the two and put the bed into the flat position, pulled a pair of eyeshades over me and proceeded to sleep for a number of hours.

When I woke we were still in darkness off the coast of Ireland and as I peered out of the window I could see the spectacular and approaching sunrise just behind me. Most of the cabin was in darkness although I proceeded to climb over the person in 14J and got a bottle of water from the galley. Took a walk down to the back of the aircraft to stretch my legs and to witness the carnage in the rear cabins I always find it amazing the ways some people find to sleep in the back; legs on top of seat in front *barf*, feet on the bulkhead *barf*, feet out in the aisle to the extent where I was almost being tripped up! The cabins were very full in the back, barely a spare seat in the house whereas Club World (this configuration had 70 seats) was lightly loaded. I then went back to my seat to relax and wake up. According to the skymap I had about 1hr 30mins left so decided to get up, go and get changed and freshen up.

Thick cloud over the eastern Atlantic and Ireland

The cloud was rather thick over Ireland and only began to clear up when we were over the Irish Sea. Breakfast service began in earnest, the Indian guy next to me mistakenly ordered a bacon roll and so got that swapped out for croissants while the Japanese couple in 14J & 14K were tucking into to something larger! I opted for the energizing smoothie and looked out of the window as we overflew Anglesey. The sky so clear you could see the stream of smoke coming out of the ferry chimneys from the terminal at Holyhead! Snowdonia looked rather like a glacier from our altitude as the cloud has settled into all the valleys!

Snowdonia

Wing view of G-CIVX

Soon all the cloud cover became almost 100% again and we began our descent into Heathrow. As we came through the higher layers we were informed we’d be landing from the west and over Windsor Castle, hopefully on 09R to make good our arrival at Terminal 4. I was able to make out where we were during our descent thanks to a few landmarks, although lower cloud hindered this slightly!

Soon enough the noise of the landing gear coming down could be heard and the ground was approaching. I was able to recognise from the position of a few places, mostly those in Windsor Great Park that we were coming in on 09R as I had hoped. We taxied off the runway and to my surprise saw a couple of aircraft takeoff from the same runway although could see the approach lights of inbound aircraft too! Answers on a postcard for that one

Then as is to be expected when making a timely arrival at Terminal 4…our stand was occupied so we sat on the tarmac for about 10mins waiting for an aircraft to vacate the stand We taxied round and parked up at the Victor Zone…yay Well at least the walk will hopefully do something to ease any DVT worries! Immigration was thankfully a breeze and I went to fetch a trolley in baggage claim for what I thought would be the long haul…the usual 30-45 min waits for luggage. I was utterly shocked being the first person to arrive at the belt to find my bag already going round! Straight through customs and back home for Xmas dinner! ^

Verdict:

United (RIC-IAD):

Very novel to have such a short flight Was most grateful to UA for being able to check my luggage right through to London, that saved me some stress at Dulles {thumbsup} Richmond is a great airport to fly from, very easy and the service onboard was all one could expect from such a short flight {thumbsup} to UA for this one.

British Airways (IAD-LHR):
I’ve flown Club World a number of times and reported those a few times on here so I’ll refer to specifically Sleeper Service and changes at Dulles in this verdict.

The newer lounges at Dulles are great with the exception of no bathrooms, seems daft as a brush to me to have a lounge that caters for around 100 people and have no bathroom! Sleeper Service works well for me, as a leisure traveller as I can arrive at the airport 90-120mins before the flight to eat, but speaking to my father who for many years travelled longhaul his remarks are, ‘Would be nice to have the luxury of arriving early enough to eat onboard!’. Makes sense to me, BA cater this as being advantageous to the business person but in reality they may spend £4000 if not more on a full fare J ticket and not eat much beyond cookies and hot chocolate on the flight.

However ignoring this I found the arrangements to be rather good. Unlimited food, cooked in front of me, to my liking was much than the usual food on board (Although in honesty I find BA’s onboard stuff to be good!). I think BA could get round this by offering the main deck as Sleeper Service and upper deck as full service. Thereby allowing those who couldn’t eat on the ground to eat something a little more substantial.

Next Flight: LHR-BRU-LHR on Friday 30th December with bmi

Last edited by fbgdavidson; Jan 4, 2006 at 10:49 am Reason: wrong photo caption
Old Dec 28, 2005, 2:44 am

Programs: BA
Thanks Fraser - GREAT trip report as always.

Happy New Year all,
Lewis
Old Dec 28, 2005, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Fraser - nice detailed report as usual! ^

I'm still confused about the BA 777/two flights, etc.? Did you get to the bottom of that?

Also, what seat did you originally OLCI in to before they gave you 13K?

Phil

Last edited by GBOAC; Dec 28, 2005 at 6:48 am
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:19 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by fbgdavidson

The newer lounges at Dulles are great with the exception of no bathrooms, seems daft as a brush to me to have a lounge that caters for around 100 people and have no bathroom!
When I was there in November there was a bathroom. You had to take the elevator to the lower level.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Hi Fraser, great trip report as usual. So you ended up on the 747 then? What about that 777 in IAD? And why on earth did you sit downstairs man?
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:48 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Nice report!
Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
This trip was initially booked in August and my girlfriend was expected to join me on the trip although following an unfortunate incident during my stay it was decided wise I made the trip alone.
Care to elaborate Fraser? Did you get caught with your pants down?!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by BA Loyal
Care to elaborate Fraser? Did you get caught with your pants down?!
Nothing sinister at all Would rather not mention it to be honest, but it was health related.

Originally Posted by GBOAC
Also, what seat did you originally OLCI in to before they gave you 13K?
Somewhere 18 rows back

Originally Posted by You Want to Go Where?
When I was there in November there was a bathroom. You had to take the elevator to the lower level.
I wondered what that was for! Alas if you are in the F lounge you still need to either go to the Terraces and down the elevator, or across the Concourse beside the AC.

Originally Posted by PhilH
So you ended up on the 747 then? What about that 777 in IAD?
BA flew to IAD twice on Xmas Eve, the 777 was BA217, however they only had one returning to LHR.

Last edited by fbgdavidson; Dec 31, 2005 at 8:31 am
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:34 am

Somewhere 18 rows back
Op Up? Very nice!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
Another excellent, detailed report on my favourite airline from fbgdavidson ^

I've not yet tried a sleeper service myself. To be honest, though, I'm now minded to try to use day services as much as possible for east coast USA to UK flights. I've always found the overnight flights to be absolute killers, although I'm fine from MIA or from the west coast. I did my first eastbound transatlantic day flight last August and the result : no jet-lag at all!
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Steady-EDI
Another excellent, detailed report on my favourite airline from fbgdavidson ^
I did my first eastbound transatlantic day flight last August and the result : no jet-lag at all!
The day flights from the East Coast are great - much more civilised and no jetlag!
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:53 pm

Great report!

I flew SFO-IAD on xmas eve and too saw the 777 sitting at the gate. I flew back out IAD-DEN on xmas day at around 12 noon and saw the same 777 sitting in the same place, both times with the jet bridge pulled away.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 2:15 pm

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
Great Report
I enjoyed it
thanks!!
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:36 pm

The newer lounges at Dulles are great with the exception of no bathrooms, seems daft as a brush to me to have a lounge that caters for around 100 people and have no bathroom!

The lifts in the Terraces section take you one floor down to the loos!
Old Jan 21, 2006, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hilton-gold
The lifts in the Terraces section take you one floor down to the loos!
I found that out in reply #3 too

Still think it is a bit daft the First Lounge has no bathroom though. Other people in the guestbook agreed with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.