Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A FlyerTalker's dream vacation? Or sheer madness? 2 weeks. 41568 miles. F class.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A FlyerTalker's dream vacation? Or sheer madness? 2 weeks. 41568 miles. F class.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD

Okay ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls (and fellow FlyerTalkers .) Fix yourself a refreshing bevvie, be seated, and fasten your seatbelts. We're in for a lengthy ride!

As you may have seen from my earlier trip reports, it's been a year of burning some of those hard earned United miles, and treating myself to the luxurious side of air travel. Since flying all the way from San Francisco to Phuket (in first class) for a weekend in May wasn't enough, I decided to push the envelope of enjoyment (and test the patience of FlyerTalk's very own mjmsf as we'll see) by going from my home in Palm Springs to the island of Tenerife for a long weekend. Now of course that sounds simple, doesn't it? Well simplicity is out this year (for me at least.) So why do it the simple way when you can take the long way? Why take a simple hop across the pond to the Canary Islands with a quick plane change in a European city? Why travel a mere 14,000 miles? Why not fly via San Francisco, Hong Kong, Singapore, Manila, Singapore again, Frankfurt and Madrid to get there? And return via Madrid, Frankfurt, Singapore, Colombo, Chennai, Singapore again, Seoul and Los Angeles?

Well ... because I can ... that's why! Now many people, including every single member of my family, almost all my friends, and my work colleagues, call it sheer madness to even ponder the thought, let alone the logistics of such a routing. I call it a FlyerTalker's dream vacation .

41568 miles in 14 days. All of it in First and Business Class. Fabulous!

Mjmsf and I both had the return portion of ex-Colombo tickets to use up, and we both had a stop in Singapore in November, so we decided to meet up there for a week. We both had United miles to burn and wanted to fly longhaul F together. Incredibly enough, we found TWO award seats in First Class on Singapore Airlines from Singapore to Frankfurt. For those of you who are Mileage Plus members, you'll know how unusual this is. But seeing as the weather in Frankfurt, or for that matter, anywhere in Northern Europe, would be dull and wintry, we pulled out the map and looked for the farthest spot that an Asia-Europe award would take us. Preferably in Southern Europe. Hmmmmm, let's see ... a Spanish island off the coast of Africa seems to fit the bill. A call to the United award desk confirms that they do consider Tenerife to be Europe (instead of Africa and a higher award level) and that there are indeed two seats available on SQ in First Class. I recently discovered that the Canary Islands are now considered "Africa" for award travel, so we squeaked by using considerably less mileage than one needs now. The agent was as stunned as I was about the two seats on SQ and grabbed them before someone else could. No dice with Singapore Airlines on the return, but Lufthansa had two award seats available, so out on SQ, back on LH. With some Spanair in the middle. Perfect!

Since I had a few days vacation to use up, I needed to kill three extra days in Asia before hooking up with mjmsf. Not wanting to slum it in Business Class , I looked for award seats in First Class within the South Asia award region. Manila was available for the dates and times I wanted, and I hadn't been there in over ten years, so I booked the seats, got the Hyatt Regency for US$50/night, and prepared my palate for some chicken adobo, lumpia and balut. Just kidding about the balut. I looked but could not touch . Now I'm a pretty adventurous eater. I've tried snake (tasteless), kangaroo (yummy), grasshoppers (surprisingly tasty), chicken feet (rubbery) and other assorted treats, but the look and smell of balut just didn't do it for me. Perhaps another time.

So now that we've covered the background, take out your tray tables, bring your seats upright and lower your footrests and video monitors. It's time to join me as we delve into the culinary (and other) delights of international First Class on United Airlines, Singapore Airlines and Lufthansa. Sprinkled with a touch of Alaska Airlines domestic First Class (i.e. a free drink and cookie), and accompanied by a portion of Business Class on Spanair and Sri Lankan Airlines.

AS 563 / PSP-SFO / MD-80
Seat 2C - First Class
Scheduled 0700-0827 / Actual 0655-0815

My flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong was scheduled to depart at 1215PM. Alaska Airlines has two morning departures from Palm Springs to San Francisco. One that arrives SFO at 827AM, and one that arrives at 1027AM. Whilst the latter would probably have been enough time to connect, I selected the former for the extra cushion should something go wrong. And since I was flying First Class out of SFO, I would have access to the comfy United International First Class Lounge.

As usual, my plan to check in at least one hour prior to departure managed to evaporate as I finished up some work emails before heading to Palm Springs International (yes, that's what they call it.) Luckily I'm only 5 minutes from the terminal, so I left the house at 615AM and was checking in at 620AM. The machine popped up the "SEE AGENT" message, which I did. Agent wasn't sure why, but he had no trouble checking me in. Perhaps it had something to do with the SSSS that appeared on the bottom right of my boarding pass . I inquired as to whether any upgrades were available for the flight, and $50 later was reseated in 2C. So now I had one good omen (upgrade) and one bad omen (SSSS) to begin my voyage. Actually, the bad omen turned out to be a good thing. Since selectees go to a different line at security, I avoided the "regular" security line (there is no premium line at PSP) that stretched all the way to Baggage Claim. My own little "premium" line.

I was at the gate as they were making the final call for the flight at 640AM. A couple of stragglers boarded after me, and we were off the gate 5 minutes early and shortly thereafter sailing through the crisp, clear desert air, winging our way North. I caught a glimpse of Big Bear Lake as we climbed bumpily over the mountains that surround Palm Springs, then toasted the start of my vacation with a Bloody Mary and Biscotti, compliments of Alaska Airlines. The captain had warned that there may be some delays due to fog in San Francisco, but that was not to be, and she dropped us smoothly onto the runway at 810AM. We were parked at gate 20 shortly thereafter.

Since I was in no particular hurry this morning, I ambled the long way to the International Terminal to check in for my flight to Asia. I wonder if they are ever going to reopen the old International Terminal at SFO? I have so many memories of Pan Am there. Especially my favorite 727 that used to take me between San Francisco and Los Angeles when I commuted that route in the 1980s. It used to continue on to Mexico City and Miami, and always had a fantastic crew. I browsed the artwork in the long corridors that connect the terminals, then wandered over to the Aviation Museum in the International Terminal to check out the Pan Am exhibit that is currently showing. Unfortunately, the museum is closed on weekends, but you can browse the display windows. The presentation includes uniforms, posters, flight bags, model aircraft and other assorted memorabilia from one of the great airlines of the past, and is well worth a look if you're in that neck of the woods.

I walked back over to the other side of the International Terminal and joined the three passengers in the International First Class check in line at United. The agent confirmed that I was connecting through to Singapore, pulled my electronic 1K Systemwide Upgrade from my account, and handed me two boarding passes for my United First Suite(s) across the Pacific. There was no line at security. I made a quick stop at the Duty Free to pick up a nice bottle of Scotch for my traditional hotel room toast at the other end of the long Pacific crossing, and was safely ensconced in the International First Class Lounge at 1015AM to await UA869 to Hong Kong. There were only three other passengers when I first arrived, but by the time I left, I would estimate that there were about 25. The lounge itself is lovely. Furnished with armchairs, sofas and coffee tables, it sits on the ground floor with a view directly out to the ramp for the international terminal. There is a business area, but no free computers. The food offerings were meager, consisting of pastries, cookies, plastic wrapped cheese and crackers, and mixed nuts. The beverage selection was decidedly mid-shelf. I haven't used that lounge in several years, but I seem to recall a rather nice selection of meats and cheeses, as well as sushi and other assorted yummies the last time I was there. This was certainly a step (or three) down from many international lounges, but it was comfortable enough, and the time passed quickly.

UA 869 / SFO-HKG / Boeing 747-400
Seat 2J / United First Suite
Scheduled 1215-1905+1 / Actual 1235-1938+1

I left for the gate at 1130AM, and arrived to the absolute bedlam that constitutes an oversold United Airlines flight to Hong Kong. The two boarding lines stretched the length of the boarding area, and the agents at the desk were surrounded by hoards of passengers clamoring for seat changes, or perhaps even just seats on the plane, from what I could hear. "FULL FLIGHT" was posted in big red letters below the flight number on the information display behind the counter, and they were asking (well, actually begging) for volunteers to give up their seats. My schedule was too tight to volunteer for the bump today, so I waited in the boarding line for about 10 minutes, claimed my Duty Free, and proceeded down the gate 96 jetway, making a left turn to the forward boarding door of our beautiful 747-400 that was preparing to carry us far, far away. I was greeted at doorway 1L and directed to my seat in the nosecone of the aircraft. As is the custom these days aboard the aging United fleet, I immediately sat down in my seat and pushed all the buttons to make sure everything was in working order. It was. I then force fed my rollerboard to the overhead bin above 2J and settled into my home for the next 15 hours.

Hopefully as United emerges from bankruptcy protection a new First Class product will emerge as well. The United First Suite, while comfortable and well designed, is showing it's age quite badly. The seat was well worn and grungy, with scuff marks all over the place, and the luggage bin over 2J seemed to be held together with duct tape. The airplane we were on was named after William ("Pat") Patterson, the pioneering president of United Airlines from 1934 to 1966, which (I believe) makes it one of the oldest 747-400s in the fleet. I sipped my welcome drink of Champagne from my plastic cup and mulled over the rise and fall of another once great airline of the world, hoping that the tough decisions they have made over the last few years will pay off in the long run. I was offered a menu, noise canceling headset and amenity kit, followed by newspapers and magazines.

The captain made an announcement that we would be about 30 minutes late as they loaded the baggage, and that our flying time to Hong Kong would be quite long due to strong headwinds over the Pacific. He anticipated a flying time of 14 hours and 33 minutes, with an arrival at about 745PM local time tomorrow. This did not bode well for my 810PM connection to Singapore, but there wasn't anything I could do about it, so I had a refill of Champagne, and listened to this bizarre broadcast from the flight deck:

"If you receive any direction from any of my crew during the flight, I expect you to comply fully and immediately, or there will be consequences. This is for the safety and security of my airplane."

Well that's certainly the welcome aboard I was hoping to hear from the cockpit . Are we in grade school or aboard an international flight? Whilst I understand that the captain is concerned about safety, he certainly could phrase his request differently. Don't address us as "Ladies and Gentlemen," then proceed to treat us like 10 year olds on the school playground and caution us about the (potential) consequences of (perceived) poor behavior. We pushed back from the gate at 1235PM, and were airborne after a slow taxi to the long runway, and lengthy takeoff roll due to our weight. After takeoff, main course preferences were taken for lunch in order of frequent flyer status. My 1K status only got me seventh choice since there were multiple UGS customers on board. Good. I hope United is making money from them. The menu:

to begin

Join us in a sampling of appetizers:
Hot crab and scallop strudel with dill cream sauce
Stuffed Roma tomato with Tuscan bean salad
Prosciutto wrapped Gorgonzola with fig and arugula
Balsamic Dijon vinaigrette

Salad
Fresh seasonal greens with spaghetti carrots and croutons
Hot garlic, cilantro and lime shrimp
Roasted garlic red wine vinaigrette or classic Caesar dressing

main course
Braised short ribs of beef with red wine demi-glace

Dijon and panko-crusted breast of chicken with roasted shallot sauce

The above entrees include your choice of:
Creamy Cheddar potatoes au gratin, sage and onion stuffing souffle or steamed rice
Asparagus with lemon brown butter or a California stir-fry with mushrooms

Peking-style pork chop with sweet and tangy sauce
Egg noodles with baby bok choy in garlic and oyster sauce

Crispy pan-fried halibut with sweet chili sauce
Sugar snap peas with carrots and steamed rice

dessert
International cheese selection
Havarti, Longhorn Cheddar and Danish Blue cheese

Ice cream with sundae toppings

Fresh seasonal fruit

midflight snack
Please help yourself to assorted treats between the two main meals
Hot sandwiches or noodles are available upon request

prior to arrival
Barbecued pork with braised cabbage and onion on roasted Portobello
Provolone cheese and a fresh fruit appetizer

or

Fresh seasonal fruit plate with creamy yogurt

The featured wines that day were Roger Pouillon Brut 1997 Champagne, Schlumberger Reisling Grand Cru Saering 2001 Alsace, Simonsig Sauvignon Blanc 2004 Stellenbosch, Les Nobles Rives Cornas 2001 and Michel-Schlumberger Cabernet Sauvignon 2000 Dry Creek Valley.

I had the short ribs, which were superb, and several glasses of the Cabernet, which was also tasty. The cheese selection was rather meager and boring, but I couldn't face an ice cream sundae and fruit seemed far too healthy after my indulgent meal. A glass of port went down well, but the cheese was tasteless and I only ate a few bites. My table cleared, I ordered a Chivas on the rocks, and settled in to watch "The Interpreter." Great movie! Bottled water was handed out to each passenger, and the center console was filled with a basket of snacks (candy bars, potato chips, snack mix) and bottled water with glasses. Most of the cabin was asleep when the movie ended, so I joined them for a good six hour nap in the comfortable bed. I always find the cabin hot when I try to sleep, but United's airplanes have air vents, which I turned on high, which made it cool enough to use my blanket.

I finished my individual bottle of water during the night, and the flight attendant placed a glass of water next to me, and kept it constantly filled. A nice touch since I now had to drink about 3 gallons to clear my system of the assorted alcoholic beverages and sodium-laden food I had indulged in earlier . After I woke up, I picked another movie from the selection that was placed in the center console, and asked for one of the hot sandwiches as a midflight snack.

"Sorry. No sandwiches were boarded today."

"Noodles?"

"Certainly. I'll bring them to you. Anything else to drink?"

My steaming hot noodles arrived and I amused myself with the movie, music and video presentations until a couple of hours outside Hong Kong when the lights came up and the cabin was prepared for another meal. Juices and water were offered, along with hot towels. Tables were individually laid (again.) Now I should have known that the barbecued pork/cabbage/onion thingy sounded too weird to be good, but I simply had to try it to see what on Earth they were thinking when they came up with the idea. And I was right. A truly peculiar combination of flavors and textures. I think they gave me a double portion since nobody else dared to try it. The plate was completely full with two enormous Portobello mushrooms topped with cabbage, onions, barbecued pork (Western style, not Asian style) and melted cheese. Three bites later I was finished. The flight attendant wanted to know how it was. I grimaced. She agreed.

We descended into Hong Kong in a light rain, and were at the gate at 738PM local time. I was hoping that my aircraft would be the one that continued to Singapore, but that was not to be. It continued to Ho Chi Minh City. The aircraft next door was the Singapore flight, and it was on final call by the time I was off the airplane and in the security line at Chep Lap Kok. I assumed (wrongly) that they would hold the aircraft for connecting passengers, but there were several people from United Economy who missed their connection. The stupidest part of this was that after they closed the aircraft door, we waited at the gate for 15 minutes while they pulled the bags for the passengers who were checked in but didn't "show" for the flight . Wouldn't it have been more cost effective, not to mention customer friendly, to simply hold the flight? Another case of the "by-the-book" mentality at many of the overseas stations for United.

So we've finally landed in Hong Kong, folks. Thanks for tagging along thus far. We'll continue to Singapore and beyond in the next installment. Stay tuned!

Last edited by sftrvlr; Nov 30, 2005 at 12:43 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:18 am
Community Director Emerita

And we're off on another amazing sftvlr journey. I'm loving the trip and the writing! ^
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:53 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I vote dream vacation ^ Looking forward to your report.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 8:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
Enjoyed the report, you're right, only a FTer would call 41,568 miles in one trip great!
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Hkg-sin-mnl

UA 895 / HKG-SIN / Boeing 747-400
Seat 2J / United First Suite
Scheduled 2010-2355 / Actual 2025-2345

Even with the delay for bag removal for those unlucky enough to be left behind, we arrived Singapore a few minutes early. The First Class cabin was only half full, which seems to be the case on this leg each time I take it. Service from the Hong Kong based cabin crew was superb. For some reason I was under the impression that United had closed all domiciles in Asia with the exception or Narita, but apparently not. Hong Kong is still open. The purser stopped by to introduce herself and chat with each customer, asking about our plans for Singapore (or beyond) and offering tips and advice to those who wanted it. A lovely personal touch. There were two of us connecting from the San Francisco flight, and the door practically closed behind us. Menus, headsets, pillows and blankets were all laid out in each suite when we arrived. No time to check the workings of the seat, but there were plenty of empties if the need should arise.

I settled in with a glass of bubbly and had my chat with the purser. Post departure drinks orders and meal preferences were taken before we left the gate. Probably to expedite the service on this short flight where many passengers merely wanted to sleep. The captain announced that we would still arrive early, even with the delay out of Hong Kong, but that the weather enroute, as well as the weather on arrival in Singapore, was forecast to be heavy thunderstorms. We were asked to please observe the seatbelt sign. No mention of "consequences" for non-compliance with crew member instructions. At least from the flight deck. A long taxi to the active departure runway, followed by a short takeoff roll in heavy rain, and we lifted off to make our way across the South China Sea.

The captain asked the flight attendants to remain seated for the first 30 minutes, after which they sprang into action. Cocktails were served, followed by dinner. Only three of us managed to stay awake to enjoy the service, which was completed in less than an hour. Then the lights were turned out until 30 minutes from Singapore. Our menu was as follows:

to begin
Spicy garlic prawn appetizer
Fresh seasonal greens with Oriental vinaigrette

main course
Stir-fried chicken with e-fu noodles
Mushrooms in oyster sauce with fresh Chinese seasonal greens

Saffron vodka poached cod with asparagus leek sauce
Orzo risotto with sitr-fried sugar snap peas

dessert
Chocolate tart

quick and lite meal
In lieu of our formal meal presentation,
we offer a complete service for the lighter appetite.

Roast beef* and cheddar cheese sandwich on laugen bread, pommery mustard, gherkin pickle, pickled baby corn and onions with Minestrone soup.

Chocolate tart

*Today's menu features beef from New Zealand

I'm not sure what wines were on offer, but I had some of the Schlumberger Riesling Grand Cru Saering 2001 Alsace. I also had the chicken, which was tender and moist, even though the noodles were horribly overcooked. (Interestingly enough, mjmsf had the same entree three days later, but insisted that the chicken tasted like it had died of bird flu, so he didn't eat it. Picky, picky, picky .) The chocolate tart was lovely. I made it half way through my after dinner Chivas on the rocks, and passed out until the lights came on for our descent into Singapore. We were treated to some spectacular lightning as we touched down in light rain at about 1140PM.

The goal in Singapore is to have travelers through arrival formalities and in their hotel rooms in about an hour, and as usual, I beat their goal. With only a rollerboard, I zipped through immigration and customs, skipped the long line for metered cabs, jumped in the fixed rate S$35 taxi, and was ordering a bucket of ice at the Singapore Hilton at 1235AM. If only all cities worked like Singapore! There was a note waiting for me from FlyerTalk's NCRBILL when I checked into the Hilton. He was on a mileage run from Colombo, and wanted to get together for a drink if I was still up at 4AM before he had to leave for the airport for the United flight to Narita. I was going to stay up and give him a call, but managed only two toasts from my bottle of Scotch before laying down to close my eyes for a few minutes, and waking up just before noon the next day. Sorry NCRBILL, maybe next time. I took a leisurely stroll along Orchard Road and grabbed a bite to eat before heading back to Changi Airport for my flight to Manila.

Since the subway is only two blocks from the Hilton, I decided to spend S$1.70 rather than S$20 and take public transport to the airport. My flight wasn't until 510PM, so I had three hours to make the journey. The Singapore subway is clean, cheap and easy to use. I did have to change twice, but still arrived at Changi just before 3PM, and made my way to the Singapore Airlines First Class check-in area in Terminal Two.

First Class customers are escorted from curbside to a lounge that is reminiscent of a swank hotel lobby. You take a seat as the agent checks your documents, presents your boarding card and asks if you need assistance finding the SilverKris Lounge. You then exit through the other side of the lounge and directly into the immigration control area to leave the country. There were only two people in front of me at immigration, and I was in the lounge in less than five minutes.

The First Class section of the SilverKris Lounge is fabulous, in a traditional sort of way. It's not as attractive or luxurious as the Malaysia Airlines Golden Lounge at Kuala Lumpur, and doesn't hold a candle to the new Lufthansa First Class Terminal at Frankfurt (no lounge does) but it has all the comforts to pass the time contentedly. At this hour of the day, the place was jammed. My usual seat near the plasma television showing CNN on the far side of the lounge by the "Meeting Place" was taken, as was every other quiet spot. I found a seat in a high traffic area by the fish tank and headed to the buffet to see if satays were on offer that day. To my delight they were. Beef and chicken with yummy peanut sauce. I couldn't help myself. I ate six of them. A quick check of email (and FlyerTalk) from one of the 8 free computers, and I was off for the short(ish) walk to gate F3 at 430PM.

SQ 76 / SIN-MNL / Boeing 777-300
Seat 2F / First Class
Scheduled 1710-2035 / Actual 1705-2020

There was a short line at the security check point, and the flight was already boarding when I reached the desk for my final document and boarding pass check. It's so orderly in Singapore. Down the jetway with the left turn to our waiting 777-300. I was greeted at door 1L and shown to my seat, joining the other two passengers in First Class this evening. Bag stowed, it was time for the first glass of Dom Perignon this trip. Poured at my seat on a silver tray. In a real glass. This is the way it should be. Menu, headset, socks and eyeshades were offered. I accepted a menu:

dinner from singapore to manila

appetisers
Oriental hors d'hoevre
Poached prawn, smoked salmon and marinated octopus
Oriental dressing

main courses
Breast of chicken with lemon, caper and proscuitto ham ragout, semolina and creamed spinach timbale
*Exclusively created by Nancy Oakes of Boulevard, San Francisco

Nasi Lemak
Malay style coconut rice with spicy prawns, peanuts, grilled fish cake, egg omelette and vegetable pickles

Wok seared beef steak in five spices sauce with seasonal vegetables and egg noodles

fresh fruit
A selection of fresh fruit

dessert
Lemon meringue pie with vanilla ice cream

from the bakery
Oven fresh rolls
with a choice of extra virgin olive oil or butter
Garlic bread

hot beverages
Freshly brewed coffee
Espresso or cappuccino
Selection of tea

The wine list contained:

Dom Perignon 1998
Krug Grande Cuvee
Dr. Loosen Erdener Treppchen Riesling Kabinett 2003
Joseph Drouhin Meursault 2000
Laboure-Roi Nuits-Saint-Georges Premier Cru 1996
Pommard 1999 Bouchard Pere et Fils

All this with a scheduled flying time of just under three hours! As soon as the seatbelt sign went off, the curtains were drawn tight, and service began. After takeoff drinks orders and main course preferences were taken on the ground. My gin and tonic arrived with a bowl of warm cashews. Singapore Airlines permits you to dine on anything you wish, at any time you wish, so they ask you if you're ready to begin your meal. After a refill on the G&T, I was. Nasi Lemak is one of my favorite dishes, and I received the usual smile from the stewardess when I asked for some Kris Chili Sauce on the side. It's created specially for Singapore Airlines and is completely addictive. The lemon meringue tart was delicious, too.

An hour or so to play with KrisWorld and we were on final approach to Manila, docking at the gate 15 minutes ahead of schedule. No checked baggage meant another speedy exit through immigration and customs and into the oppressive humidity of the Manila evening. It seems far more organized than the last time I was there. The meet-and-greet area has been moved away from the main terminal exit, so you can find yourself transportation into the city in relative peace. I had pre-arranged a driver from the Hyatt to meet me at the airport since it only cost about US$10. The humidity and lack of breeze brought on a case of, um, how do we say this politely(?) ... profuse sweating ... as I waited for the car to be brought around, which took about 15 minutes. Traffic wasn't as bad as it could have been, and the ride to the Hyatt took about 25 minutes (even though it's only 7 kilometres.)

They had a rather bizarre "security" setup at the main entrance to the Hyatt Regency. An armed guard was outside. As I entered the port-cochere, a lady opened my small laptop bag and poked around with a chopstick (well it looked like a chopstick, anyway.) I was then ushered into the lobby without a check of my rollerboard. Now if I was packing explosives, which bag do you think I would have used?

I stayed here the last time I was in Manila, ten or so years ago, and not much had changed, apart from the huge new shopping mall nearby. The welcome was warm, and I was in my room just before 10PM. I don't think the room had been renovated since my last stay, but it was spacious and comfortable enough. I dropped my bags and headed down to the bar for a nightcap and some interesting conversation with a couple of Aussie businessmen. Feeling an attack of jetlag, I retired back upstairs after about an hour, and was dead to the world until I woke up shivering at 3AM. I had turned the air conditioning down to 18 degrees (from 25) when I entered the room, but I think it went well below that during the night. I put it back up to 21 degrees, fell promptly back to sleep, and woke up feeling completely refreshed at about 11AM.

Now the big decision of the day. Late breakfast or early lunch? I chose the latter, and decided to have it delivered poolside after an energizing swim. I napped for an hour or so, then went back upstairs, took a shower, and headed out to stroll Paseo de Roxas along Manila Bay, stopping for beers a few times, and eventually ending up near the American Embassy around sunset. I had planned to head to the Malate area for dinner, but felt tired, so hopped a cab back to the Hyatt, and ordered room service. Excellent Lumpia and some Pancit Canton. Then an early night. I spent the next day wandering the Intramuros, followed by drinks and dinner in Malate. I had to be up early the next day to fly back to Singapore to meet mjmsf for our long awaited flight to Frankfurt ...

Last edited by sftrvlr; Jan 2, 2007 at 5:42 pm
Old Dec 1, 2005, 1:35 am

Fantastic TR so far! I can't wait to see what is up next.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:47 am

This is one of the most enjoyable travel journals that I have read in years. I thank you. Incidentally I agree that the Nasi Lemak on SQ is terrific.. especially with a glass or two of DOM...
Old Dec 1, 2005, 7:28 am

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
Great report so far! I look forward to the flight to FRA.

Thanks

Timo
Old Dec 1, 2005, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I do love a good Trip Report and yours is off to a First Class start, sftrvlr. I'll cast my vote for "dream vacation" , wish you well in your travels and look forward to future installments.

Happy Contrails

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 1, 2005 at 8:12 am
Old Dec 1, 2005, 8:40 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Amazing vacation. ^^^
Old Dec 1, 2005, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Very entertaining sftrvlr, and quite a trip! Good for you I say ^ Keep 'em coming!

Phil
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks for the update. Seems we just missed meeting by a few hours.

Looking forward to next instalment.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
With the way this report is going, I'm not sure 40,000+ miles in F is enough .

Ummm, lumpia and pancit canton, I love those too. C'mmon, real adventure means trying balut! Who knows it might very well turn out to be your most favorite food, that you've never had .

Highly enjoyable, first rate report. Keep it coming ^ .
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:55 pm

I have no idea why there's so much balut-phobia going around. Its just an egg, after all. And the best way to eat it is in front of someone who doesn't care for the stuff

That aside, great report! It was a joy to read.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:17 am
Original Poster

I'm not entirely sure I wouldn't care for it, actually. It just seemed at that particular time, on that particular day, I wasn't into it. The thought of tiny, semi-developed bones crunching between my teeth . I have a friend who's appalled that I eat a steak now and then (although she almost changed her mind after trying my grilled flank steak with a red wine, balsamic reduction) so it's a matter of different strokes (and tastes) for different folks.

I now wish I'd just done it and added it to the list. Who knows, maybe I'd be ordering them from Daly City for Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas, they LOVE it in the Philippines! I couldn't stop humming Feliz Navidad as I wandered around the Glorietta Mall ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.