Search

Access to CC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2005, 1:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Question Access to CC

Randy, first of all: That's a great forum. ^

As I am new hear, I don't know all the rules yet - but I already learned that (some) moderators act quite aggressive if st is not like they want to have it.

Me, for example, I wanted to exchange hotel nights against hotel nights or awards in a forum. I finally learned from some other FT that this is only allowed in the CC forum.

OK, if this is the rules, that's to be accepted. However, what I do not understand is the fact that not everybody has access to the CC. Why is that? To me, it just doesn't make sense.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 2:10 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Hans: First of all a hearty welcome to the world of frequent flyer miles and points. For seven years, FlyerTalk has been the home to some of the smartest travelers in the world and you will find no better place to learn from.

As for your question, it's simple to answer but let's see if i can make it clear enough for you. A couple things. First of all, our volunteers that you refer to as moderators tend to react to the concerns of our members. So when you might have heard that a volunteer acted aggressively - it probably was due to the fact they were responding to concerns of our members who actually do know the simple rules we have here for the community. Members at all times are encouraged to report posts that are in error to a thread of forum. This way, it's a much more pleasant place to exchange ideas at. Other chat boards may allow members to post at random with no sense of organization and before you know it, the information is of no use. Overall, I feel that the volunteer staff here is among the best of any moderator group anywhere for a chat board the size of FlyerTalk.

As for learning from another member - you could have easily learned from a volunteer. We actively suggest that all members learn to ask any of our volunteers if you have any question about where a post should go or if it is appropriate. For new members such as yourself, this may well be the best piece of advice i can give you.

As for the Coupon Connection. Its purpose has been discussed many times over but let me see if i can simply explain for you. As you know by now - the main focus of FlyerTalk is frequent flyer miles and points. All these programs operate the same way as FlyerTalk, in that they reserve special benefits for those members who display some loyalty and renewed business. The Coupon Connection is a benefit that is reserved for those members on FlyerTalk that have proven over time that they can contribute and share in the experience of this community. Again, airlines don't hand out first class upgrades or privilege boarding to new members. Members of any frequent flyer program must first prove their worth before being allowed these privileges. Same is true for hotel programs. That upgrade to a suite or executive room is usually only after some measurable amount of business. Once a member has been with FlyerTalk for a minimum of 90 days and has contributed 90 posts, these and additional privileges will magically come your way. We never apologize for that and there's a very special reason - because without posts from our members - we would have no value to anyone. And you might ask what value a newbie such as yourself can bring to FlyerTalk to earn these privileges? Well, we were all newbies at one time and what we have found is that newbies learn from those who have learned the secrets of travel on FlyerTalk. You then take that knowledge and pass it along to the next generation. Its that process of asking questions, of exchanging you points of view that make FlyerTalk what it is today.

We are a vibrant community and the diversity of some of the smartest travelers in the world along with those like yourself that may be just starting out make us unique. Additionally, our rules state "Posts that condone illegal activity (i.e., buying and selling of awards, direct fraud upon any program) will be removed without notice and accounts subject to deletion! We're not the law, but we know where they are." It is hard for just any volunteer or member to know which exchanges might be legal and which are not. That's why we have any of these in a single forum, so that those who do know the rules can make sure they are applied equally. We respect the rules that airlines and hotels may have. If you are just wanting to turn a coupon for a quick buck - well, eBay has earned that reputation and we're more than happy to see that kind of business end up over there. On FlyerTalk, legal exchanges often come with something else - a new friend. and we all like that part of the deal.

Enjoy, ask questions and please let me know if i can ever assist you as well.

Cheers,
Randy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.