Search

MAXjet Inaugural JFK-STN Nov 1, 2005

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2005, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Talking MAXjet Inaugural JFK-STN Nov 1, 2005

Photo Link: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5bsXk

Hi everyone,

Just want to finish up the Maxjet’s inaugural report, and thanks for all the kind comments so far, and I agree that Maxjet actually offers a pretty good “business” class product out there, and the inaugural party is indeed filled with excitements (I was told that excitements are not enough to describe the experience of the employees, CEO, and the chair-holders). Well the load was almost half full, as it was expected on most new flights. It will take them time to develop the clientele and it is almost too good to believe that $1600USD can bring you a near business class experience. Here is my honest review!

November 1, 2005
MY 100 JFK-STN Lv1830 Arr0700+1 Boeing 767-200ER N770WD
Well I arrived at JFK two hours prior to arrival, and the check-in counters, as seen in the pictures, were filled with balloons and inaugural notices. There were lots of press on the side, and the agents were very happy. They had some problems finding my information but after I gave them my confirmation number, they found the reservation and gave me the boarding pass. Yes, there was a security/passport check prior to reaching check-in counters. Nothing too surprising at these heightened security days! Together with my boarding pass, a lounge invitation to Korean Air Morning Calm Lounge, as well as an arrival package/price list for the Radisson SAS Hotel London Stansted Airport was also provided. The Maxjet ticket jacket was very classy and “blue”, and reflected a businessmen oriented product. Here is the price list for the Radisson SAS Hotel…

Arrive and Refresh at Radisson SAS Hotel London Stansted Airport
Should you have time between your arrival in London and your next destination, MAXjet has partnered with elegant Radisson SAS Hotel London Stansted Airport to create an exclusive a la carte menu of services with special rates for MAXjet customers.

The Radisson SAS property is a convenient 2-minute walk after exiting Customs and Immigration.

Note* The sign at STN was rather poor and I could not find the Radisson Hotel till I asked the desk. Well you basically follow the trolley route sign and then you will reach the Hotel corridor. It will be great if MAXjet can provide a map in the back of the card, which will encourage folks to go for it.

Radisson SAS Health Club
The facility houses a state-of-the-art gym, indoor swimming pool, sauna and steam room. Charges may apply for other facilities.
15 pounds

Phoenix Spa:
Enjoy exclusive pricing for all hair and spa treatments ranging from beauty essentials to the Ultimate Spa experience.
Deluxe Manicure 24 pounds
Deluxe Pedicure 28 Pounds
Men’s Cut and Style 10 pounds
Ladies’ Cut and Style 22pounds 50
Any Color, Cut and Style 55.50 pounds

Elmis Body Therapy Message 44 pounds
Elmis Deep Tissue Back Message 28 pounds
Elmis Advanced Anti-aging Facial 52 pounds
Elmis Skin IQ Facial 52 pounds

The Ultimate Phoenix Spa Experience (Signature Treatment) 88 Pounds

Radisson SAS Super Buffet Breakfast 10 Pounds

Day Room (9am – 6pm. Includes VAT on room only basis) 60 Pounds

Special Room Rate for MAXjet customers at the Radisson SAS STN: Includes VAT, breakfast, free pay movies, bathrobe and slippers, mineral water, turn-down service, and free wireless Internet usage 150 pounds

Well the price for the arrival service is pretty hefty, but I am more looking forward to an arrival lounge with a shower facility, a continental breakfast buffet, and somewhere quiet for a few hours before rushing into the city. I guess I am willing to pay up to 25 pounds. Nevertheless, the day room and the special room rate are actually not a bad deal. I paid 125 pounds for my room for the overnight stay, but with no above amenities and VAT not included. I only hope that MAXjet can promote the rate on both its website and Radisson SAS STN website, so folks can take advantage of it.

After a few shots at the check in counters, I proceeded to the security area, which was somewhat organized but the agents were really rude. The lady in front of me place her bag on the bin, which was not necessary, but instead of politely telling the lady that she did not need to put her bag on the bin, the TSA agent just grabbed the bin and flipped the item on the table. That was pretty rude if you asked me, and she did not even say much. Anyway, terminal one to me was a strange place. I like the check in area with the open ceiling and lots of natural light, but once I got inside the secured area, the décor looked a bit ancient and the carpeting looks pretty grey and how do you say it, you feel like you are inside a concrete building, and then there were lots of shops. Anyway, Korean Air lounge was located right next to Gate 3, MAXjet’s gate this evening, and there was ample MY signs to bring you there. An agent actually saw me down there and immediately brought me up to the lounge. The lounge itself was nice and if you need wifi service, remember to jog down the username and password from the receptionist. There were sofa and four computer stations, as well as laptop stations. Snacks include most pre-packaged stuff like pretzels, cheese, crackers, peanuts, and cookies, and there was a self-service alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverage, and there were also some Korean beverages choices there because it is a KE lounge. I immediately ran into Josh, my previous contact at MY, and several MY employees actually talked to me throughout the evening, as I am actually their first revenue passenger. Well I guess I am pretty much the only Asian and non-suit dressing passenger there tonight. Thankfully I wore my collar shirt as usual, but the whole inaugural event was pretty formal, as there were lots of stockholders and employees on PR tour. Anyway, a champagne reception was held at the first class section, and KE F section was similar to J, and there were of course champagne and hors d’oeuvres flying around, and the atmosphere was cheerful. The CEO, Gary Rogliano, made a speech thanking the Port Authority, stockholders, and the employees, and then more champagne. Since I am the first revenue passenger, I get to meet lots of cool people, including William D. Stockbridge, Chairman of the Board, and Michael A. Johnson, Manager of Sales, as well as lots of other employees, who are surprisingly and unsurprisingly notice me and thank me for flying MAXjet. I really appreciate it and hope I can respond better and have business cards available (but who wants a card from a Ph.D. candidate?).

Review for the lounge: Well MAXjet beats EOLS by having a lounge at JFK and KE lounge was definitely up to par, but my only concern is that how the lounge can handle 100 passengers if MY flight went out full, and then Aeroflot passengers also used the KE lounge. I guess they will have to open up the F section then. Anyway, the business class experience begins with a proper J lounge, and we need to give credits for MAXjet.

Boarding began at 5:51pm and there was an escalator directly reaching to the gate area, and it was pretty convenient. The boarding began with more photo-taking opportunities from the press and the agents were excited about boarding folks. There was a passport check for those who care. The boarding procedure was similar to other airlines – pre-board, and then Row numbers – nothing out of ordinary. Since I was seated in the front section, I waited a bit before boarding, and thankfully I still got to take pictures of the cabins prior to takeoff.

Seat Reviews: The seat was all leather and as you can see, it looks very comfortable, and I like “blue” colors, so the décor of the cabin really fits my taste and the trend now. The recline is pretty good – much better than the old first class seats of TG that I flew at late summer, and the legrest went all the way up. However, if you are in the window, with a deep recline, it will be difficult to get in and out of the seat without disturbing your aisle seatmate. There are three seat pockets – a regular magazine pocket with the safety card and US immigration form instructions in various European languages. Then there are a pocket for water bottle and one for Dig E players. The control was no electronic though, and only manual, but it does not matter. My only complaint is the lack of laptop power outlets that most airlines actually have these days. I hope when MAXjet gets its Boeing 757, it can consider adding those laptop power outlets that can be found on the World Business Class seats of Northwest, and no need to buy a separate power cord. The condition of the cabin was okay, as it was a brand new plane, but the bathroom looked a bit shaky because it did not change much from its previous owner, QF I believe. Those are just minor items, but the cabin in general feels very comfortable and the seats definitely allow a good night sleep. I personally am not a big fan of the current generation of so-called angled sleeper seats used by CX and a number of worldwide airlines because of its angle, and I actually like these classic sleeper seats.

Row without or with partial windows: Row 6 and 7 (and Row 5 once reclined)
Row without passenger storage: Row 6 as well
Best Seats seem to be the exit row at Row 8 (but not significant better) and the bulkhead row at Row 1 looks decent without cutoff of legroom. For Row 7, there is no cutback on recline because of being the last row. I walked across the middle pair of seats easily in the back (of course seats not reclined) so there are ample rooms for recline.

Galleys are only situated on the front and aft cabin, so no need to worry about galley noises at mid-cabin, but there are two lavatories located in mid of the cabin and located right in front of Row 8AC, and 8HJ.

Lavatories are located in front next to the cockpit, two in the mid-cabin, and two (or three) in the aft.

If you want to know anything about the cabin, please let me know so I can check out on the return flight tomorrow morning.

Well the pre-takeoff experience was about the normal premium class standard, and even match other Asian airlines’ first class by offering a choice of canapés – Eggplant Parmesan hors d’oeuvre or Smoked Salmon Pastrami Canapé, as well as champagne in the plastic glass. At each seat, there is an inaugural package that consists of an inaugural MAXjet cap, a luggage tag, and a MAXjet pen. But I sort of miss the classic flight certificate. Anyway, door was closed at 6:28pm, and after a manual demonstration, (because there are no TV screens of any sort installed at MY jet, so also no Sky Map) and we pushed back at 6:37pm. We were late because we had to wait for the Port Authority to set up their fire engines for the water salute. It was also the first day out so employees are trying to get used to these 767-200ER.

Well the evening traffic at JFK was usually bad, but tonight we got to skip line and headed straight to Runway 13R. After two American’s Boeing 767-300Ers took off, we lifted off at 7:01pm, and here is the first MX revenue flight. Flying time was six hours and fifty-five minutes.

For plane-spotters, here is the list of planes I saw:
I saw a Jeblue’s EMB-190 N183JB at gate 1 of Terminal Six – possibly running some test and practice run for the ground crew. At Terminal One, there are Air France’s Boeing 777-300ER F-GSQD, Turkisk A340 TC-JDJ, Air France Boeing 777-200ER F-GSPF, Austrian’s Airbus A340 OE-LAH, Alitalia’s Boeing 777 EI-DBK, and KLM’s Boeing 777-200ER PH-BQG.

The first item of business is pass out of the Dig E Players, as we are all familiar with it. Here is the full list. (I assume we all know what a Dig E player is by now).
Movies
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Batman Begins, March of the Penguins, Dark Water, Valiant, dark Water, Supercross, The Fantastic Four, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Rebound, and Because of Winnie Dixie
TV Shows:
The Simpsons (Marge in Chains and Homer’s Triple ByPass), Firefly, Family Guy, Animaniacs, Arrested Development, True Gling, The Office, Only Fools & Heroes, One Foot in the Grave

Shortly after passing out Dig E players, beverage carts were rolled out and sesame sticks were the accompaniments. And then the meal was served in three courses – salad/roll, entrée, and dessert or cheese. It is basically a standard business class procedure, and its meals are comparable to some of the US airlines’ business class. United comes to mind but the difference is only the lack of additional appetizer, but MAXjet has the canapés service prior to boarding. Here is the menu transcript and wine list:
Old World Wines
Zantho, St. Laurent 2003, Burgenland Austria
Piedemonte Viura 2004, Navarra, Spain

New World Wines
Ferngrove Shiraz 2003-4, Frankland River, Western Australia
Cardiff Chardonnay 2004, California

Something Bubbly
Duval-Leroy Champagne

Menu US Departure November 2005
As You Board
Eggplant Parmesan hors d’oeuvre
Smoked Salmon Pastrami Canapé

Dinner
To Start
Salad of Mesclun Greens topped with Toasted pine nuts, Tear drop tomatoes, and crumbled goat cheese
Served with your choice of Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette or Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette

Freshly baked bread: Ciabatta Rolls, Multi-grain rolls
Well first problem: rolls are not warmed, which made the bread stone cold, and I honestly think heating up the rolls are relatively simple and did not add much cost. Then I was not really offered a choice of breads or salad dressings, as they already came at the tray or breadbasket.

Choice of Entrées
NEW YORK STRIP served with a Wild Mushroom Butter Sauce, Roasted Red Bliss Potatoes and Haricot Vert
My choice of entrée – delicious and juicy steak – not too rare and not too overcooked… look at the picture… it was one of the best piece of steak that I have ever had at 33,000feet.
Or
Wok Seared Chicken Breast on top Asian Noodles tossed in a Toasted Sesame dressing (served chilled)
Or
Pan Seared Halibut Filet served with a Mango Mojo Sauce, Cilantro Lime Rice Pilaf and Angel Hair vegetables

After Dinner
Assortment of Brie, Gorgonzola, and New York Aged Cheddar Cheese served with Seedless Red grapes and crackers
Or
Rustic Cranberry Apple Tart served with a Creamy Caramel Sauce
I like the apple pie, and normally, I think a proper business class should offer both (that is actually why I dislike KLM or UA J service), but then MAXjet was a low cost J class and that is fine.

In terms of flight attendants, Amy is the lead flight ambassador. Oh yes, all MAXjet flight attendants are called “inflight ambassadors.” I guess it means to provide a warmer experience. I find most flight attendants to be enthusiastic and more than happy to get you stuff, and I especially like Lila, Davida, and Amy. However the supper service was a bit too slow to complete and it took almost three hours to complete dinner for a 50% load. I totally understand that it was the first flight and I totally expected it, as the F/As were not familiar with locations of meals and various serving items in the galley. I noticed the F/As using spoon to serve hot towels instead of the usual tong, but MAXjet should shoot for a completely of the first meal service within two hours in the future. The return can be more laid back, since it is a daytime flight, but for the evening flight, it may even want to think about an express meal option. For the rest of the flight, the F/As made regular patrols, and passed out OJ or water throughout the flight, and I was impressed with the F/As went around the cabin and did the traditional “blanket turndown service.” They unwrapped the blanket and put it on you – sort of tugging you in – a really traditional airline service item that has been lost in the United States for so long. I am definitely impressed with F/As and after some familiarization with the galley, the service will certainly go perfect.

About the dinner service, it is a pretty good business class meal, but for improvement, I will recommend the following:
1. Warming up the rolls please and come around with the rolls one more time after serving the entrée, or between picking up salad plates and serving entrées.
2. The appetizer can be something more exotic, like a Marinated Pear on top of mesclun salad, or use of a salad garnish like the old WBC main meal service – basically add a skewer of cheese, veggie and meat on top of the salad. It will be cool if MAXjet can add an appetizer on top of the current salad offer, but I don’t see that coming unless it makes lots of money. Anyway, it is just my opinion.
3. Not sure about the cold entrée selection – I am personally a warmed food person, and it will suck if you are stuck with the cold entrée. Either load less of those cold plates, or change it to a hot dish.

Well throughout the flight, the Chef’s Pantry was opened with the following:
Sonoma valley Chicken Salad on Anadama Bread
Fresh Bananas
Sun Chips
And a little something sweet

Comments: It will be nice if they can set up a refreshment station in both the front and the aft galley, so people can get them, or make a few pass of the refreshment basket especially on the daytime return.

I finished my book, wrote a response report, and took a nap in between dinner and breakfast. The lights and hot towel came out at 1:09am NYC time, and breakfast cart rolled out.

Before Landing
Strawberry Yogurt served in a white cup… not a container)
Blueberry Muffin
Honey Wheat English Muffin

Choice of
Fresh Fruit Plate
Melon, cantaloupes, grapes, strawberry and pineapple
Or
Boursin Cheese Omelet served with Applewood Smoked Bacon and cherry tomatoes

Late Riser
If you prefer to get the MAXimum amount of sleep until the very last moment, as your flight attendant for a breakfast snack to go

The breakfast was really good, and the fruits are fine, and it was a one-tray service.

Descent soon began at 1:31am NYC time/6:31pm London time, and we landed on Runway 23 at 6:56am November 2, and parked at gate 14 a few minutes later. STN was definitely the kind of LCCs, as the aprons are filled with airlines that I don’t like – Easyjet and Ryannair. Anyway, Stansted airport requires you to take a train to from those outlying piers to the main terminal – very efficient. The airport was really quiet in the morning, and all the immigration stations are staffed, and I had no problem getting into UK – a much better experience than Heathrow, which can be one major advantage. But don’t exchange money at the booth next to the baggage claim. Travelex rate may be better after exiting from the secured area. Stansted Express is pretty cool (despite crowded) and takes you right to Liverpool Station, and the train stop is connected to the terminal building. Travel time is 45 minutes, and I think it is not too bad, compared to Heathrow or Gatwick Express. So STN should not be a reason for you not to select MAXjet. Also if you are planning a one-day/same day return, don’t buy your ticket at the booth inside the baggage claim and secure area… Same day return costs significantly less than an open return, but you have to buy it at the ticket office down stair (but same day return apples on departing after 9:30am.)

Review: To be honest, for $1600RT, MAXjet offers a superb experience, which is beyond my expectation. I originally expect a premium economy service, but MY really shoots for J class. The lounge at JFK, the fancy food, and the sleeper seats are all beyond my expectation. There are definitely rooms for improvement. One issue that I have not mentioned is that there are no airsickness bags at each seat, and then there is no amenity kit or any amenities offered. I think amenity kit may be a thing of the post or too expensive for MAXjet, but it should offer SQ style. Eyeshades and socks to pass out, and then toothbrush sets, shaving sets, and combs are available at the amenities’ bin of the bathrooms. There are curtains on the planes, but an eyeshade will definitely help and sometimes needed because these seats are the classic types without the cocoons or privacy of these angled business class sleeper seats. For minimal, there should eyeshades available on request. Those are items that are cheap and should be offered. I actually think selling a name brand amenity kit for USD$10 may work out fine. Also, there is no duty free service setup. Duty free is a major revenue generator in the international airline business. Even though airlines cut back service, they kept their fancy duty free catalog, and that basically tells you how much this duty free business is worthy of. Another item to work on is frequent flyer program. I know that MAXjet is a LCC, but as an AA EXP and UA 1K, it is hard to fly MAXjet all the time because of mileage accruals at the other airlines. I know LCC is different from mainline, but MAXjet should offer its own mileage program to attract people to fly, or MAXjet can work with smaller airlines, like Frontier or Midwest, who just loses their partnership with Virgin as their carrier to bring folks to Europe, and MAXjet can be a good partner for these high class LCCs. Those airlines will also never fly to Europe, so more likely to negotiate in better terms. Anyway, I enjoy this flight and wish this company the best of luck!

Well the return report will happen this weekend.

I hope you will enjoy it.

Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; Nov 2, 2005 at 12:14 pm Reason: Full report now posted
Old Nov 2, 2005, 1:57 am

Programs: BA & VS
Excellent pictures and looking forward to the report. MAXjet are offering very good return fares at the moment and STN is only 15 minutes from where I live

I hope this route and concept works for them.

Last edited by Beany; Nov 2, 2005 at 2:01 am
Old Nov 2, 2005, 6:10 am

I have always said that you are the king of trip reports. Thanks so much for these great pictures which really show that MAXJET wants to make some real inroads in this very popular market...
Old Nov 2, 2005, 6:30 am

Great photos indeed. The prices Maxjet are asking for do seem reasonable from the evidence displayed in your photos. A few questions: How full did the aircraft get? Was there a decent load to support the inaugural flight? What entertainment choice did you have on their media player?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
The steak looks truly superb.......
Old Nov 2, 2005, 11:41 am

how did you get into the F section of korean air lounge to take pictures?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

champagne reception

The inaugural party and champagne reception happened on first class side, as well as couple press and VIP guests set up their stations there. Those pictures of the VIP room are rare opportunities... so I hope you enjoy them.

Carfield

PS Full report has posted... go back to the first post!
Old Nov 2, 2005, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Did you find out from where the cabin and flight crews were recruited?

The aircraft is an ex-Qantas aircraft, btw.

Great report. Looking forward to hearing about the return.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 4:38 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Great report, wonder if any other FT'rs were on the inagural flight in order to experience a first. Now I'm waiting for a trip report on EOS, the other all premium carrier that launched!
Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thanks, Carfield for an outstanding report. ^
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Nice photos, especially of the meals. Dreadful uniform for the "ambassador," what are they thinking with the 1930s gangster-style jacket! Thanks for your comprehensive report.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:21 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
^
Old Nov 3, 2005, 7:24 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Great report Carfield! I already read it on airliners.net, though... We all should email Maxjet and lobby them to consider service to other major European destinations (or alternate airports near them), like AMS, FRA, ZRH, etc. I personally couldn't use a NYC-LON flight, but could use this service to other European locales....
Old Nov 3, 2005, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I always look forward to your reports, Carfield. They are always nicely detailed and now come with pictures. Thanks for yet another fine effort! ^ ^
Old Nov 3, 2005, 10:22 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Great report, Carfield!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.