Search

SAS CONNOISSEUR Class with a Mediterranean Cruise on Princess Review

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2005, 1:38 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
SAS CONNOISSEUR Class with a Mediterranean Cruise on Princess Review

The choice was easy SAS PDX->SEA->CPH or LH PDX-> FRA. We needed to clean out all the UAL Miles I had collected from the odd trip to here and there along with trips to Safeway and Visa. Admittedly we are not that frequent fliers but we do use miles and they pay off nicely. My husband thinks my FT stuff is foolish until he walks in and gets that nice business class ticket to Europe. A year plus ago we planned this trip as my 50th birthday present. We were concerned about UA's status at that time and wanted to fly a partner airline with a paper ticket. We wanted a flight that went directly from the west coast to Europe. We liked the idea of a stopover in each direction and CPH had much more allure than FRA as well as SAS vs LH. This worked well for us. We called 330 days prior to the trip and got good seats both directions and the necessary connections to Venice and then home from Rome. We had tried to get the Hilton at CPH booked at that time for each night on either end of the trip. It was fully booked on the outbound a year in advance. So we booked just for the inbound. It finally cleared about 6 weeks prior to travel for an executive level room.

The trip from PDX to SEA was very civilized leaving at 4:30pm. That gave us time to catch all the loose ends before travel. Granted I had to call repeatedly to finally get that 4:30 flight as we were originally booked at 1:30 leaving a 4 hour layover in SEA before the long haul. When I called 3 days prior the later flight was available at last making a very nice trip. Advice never give up keep calling.

Editted: I forgot to mention the SAS biz lounge at SEA airport. It is small windowless and full of people. The chairs are comfortable. They offered a bit of booze, cheese and crackers. There are two computers available in the lounge. It was convient but not a memorable experience.

The day was clear and lovely. The flight left on time. This leg was the only flight of the trip where business class was called for early boarding. This does not seem done in Europe for SAS. They are very egalitarian. We worked very hard to make sure our carry ons were light enough for the 11 kg wt limit. We were allowed 2 carry ons for biz but I noticed many economy passengers with 2 bags granted they were not the mammoth size of UA carry ons. Upon boarding it is clear to see why the bag limit. The overhead bins are tiny and there is NO space under the seat in front of you. There is a plastic slot filled with a blanket. Every seat had a pillow with a nice cloth cover. The seats are not flat beds yet. They were comfortable enough. Lots of people were using the internet in flight. I didn't have a lap top with me. It looked cool. The usual oj, champagne water offered preflight no nuts only snack mix cold.

The surprise for us in-flight was when half the FA changed into chef outfits with neckerchiefs. We asked why the costumes. The purser explained these are actual chefs. SAS has hired hundreds of real chefs to help with the catering service. In the old days they used to actually cook onboard. Now they just style and serve the food. It was good too. The menu I have included from the booklet provided:
"The big deal" (their words not mine)
Grean leaf salad with dressing of the day (oil and balsamic)
First course
Smoked Nova Scotia salmon served with celeriac, red onion and capers
Main course
Sole fillet with lobster topping served with basmati rice with peas and black beans, sauteed mixed peppers and lobster sauce

Coq au vin- chicken in red wine sauce served with Red Bliss potatoes

Grilled beef fillet served with mashed potatoes roasted mixed vegetables and demi-glace sauce

Polenta served with brocolini, Mozzarella, artichocke hearts, roasted tomatoes, asparagus and pomordoro sauce

Cheese
Dutch Gouda and blue cheese with dried cranberries

A sweet finish
Macademia nut and white chocolate cake and seasonal fruit salad

If you prefer Light and Quick
-green leaf salad
-seared chicken breast served with potatoe salad and grilled red onion
-choclate coffee cake and cheese

Make your self at home
Stroll over to the buffet area any time between meals and help yourself to cold drinks, real espresso or cappuccino and fresh fruit, sandwhiches or snacks.

Note: I saw that the espresso machine was marked inop and taped off and not working. The FA said there had been a fire in one of the machines and they were taking the them all out of service until they get it fixed. He did offered powdered coffee and espresso (yuk).

Before landing breakfast

Fresh fruit and yoghurt

Hot rolls and English Muffins with cured ham, swiss cheese and jam

Spanish omelette served with sausage and creamed mushrooms

The flight arrived on time at 1:30pm local time again so civilized.

We quickly cleared passport control and were across the skybridge to the Hilton. It is clearly marked in the airport and a breeze to use. We were soon in the oversized lobby with its Arne Jacobsen Egg chairs, dark wood, and chrome. The tall blondes with a few immigrant faces at the front desk welcomed us. We were soon to find out what a bargain the executive level room was for us. At the price of food, hard and soft drinks in Denmark we had a windfall in the executive lounge. It is a pleasant space with fire place and a view of the bay, train to Sweden and the flights landing. Better yet it was beautifully stocked with everything we needed or didn't know we needed. We spent a lot of time in that lounge but we did take the train into downtown CPH after a brief nap.

We spent the evening at Tivoli Gardens watching people, musicians and kids on rides. It was a pleasant enough 90 minutes and then we had enough. We walked the Stroget window shopping. Looking at the menus in restaurants we were very glad for the executive lounge with its hors derves passing for dinner enough. Dinners seemed to cost in the neighborhood of 50 to 100 USD where we looked. I am glad we didn't have to use the Burger King or KFC that flank the entrance to the Stroget.

We took the train back to the airport and slept well before our flights the next day onward to the Venice, a cruise of the Mediterranean after nearly being thrown out of the FRA airport in the next installment.

Last edited by ijkh; Oct 2, 2005 at 3:04 pm Reason: Forgot some things
Old Oct 2, 2005, 3:38 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
So how did I get threatened with ousting out of FRA?

In the last installment we were late arriving on SAS international business class into FRA. We missed our outbound flight to Venice. This was to be the only flight on this trip's ticket that was not upper class. Hey its just a little hop between FRA and VCE. As I was planning this trip I thought it is not worth trying to up grade and there is hardly any layover. So I didn't push to upgrade. Bad idea. We arrived late missed the flight and now had a layover of several hours in hot crowded airport. So we visited the lounge for LH since we had arrived inbound SAS business class and were delayed. We asked the woman at the door she said no. We asked to talk to the supervisor and plead our case. We asked very nicely and she looked at the tickets and pointed out that we were mere economy class and couldn't use the absolutely empty lounge. Then I made the mistake of thanking her for her German hospitality. OOOOOOH. I did not stick around to hear her reply. My husband still standing there (why?) heard her say, "did you see what your wife did?". He imagined I had maybe made a gesture of some sort (perhaps using maybe a certain digit) but NO I merely sneered at her. That is I right made a face of displeasure at her. She then threatened to have me reported to security if we didn't leave immediately. I was nearly gone out the door as she said this. I guess I am lucky security didn't deport me from Germany for making a facial gesture. Ok poor judgement but I was pretty jet lagged. Now at this point I am exceedingly glad we didn't use LH for the ticket most of the way.

We then headed to the nearest bar for a beer and to try and regroup from that debauched plan. After some good chocolate and a glass of beer it was time to go through another security screening. We had been through multiple screenings in PDX, SEA, CPH, and nothing had changed in our hand luggage and yet...the contents of our bags were screened once more. Now my poor husband's bag was practically torn apart. Had our frau from the LH Business Class lounge put out the word on our dangerous selves? I don't know, but when the screeners finally found what it was they were after...it turned out to be a small package of batteries for our stuff on 3 week trip. The screener wanted to know why do you need these? Flashlights, music, etc. never occured to him? I couldn't wait to get out of Germany. Don't get me wrong some of my best friends are German but give me Italy any day. Soon we arrived in our beloved Venice. As the sun set, was time to enjoy the luxury of a private water taxi to our favorite little pensionne La Calcina (don't tell anyone ok) . Less than a hour later we were sitting with our family and friends hoisting drinks (a Bellini for me)and toasting our adventure ahead.

More about the cruise and the ride home in the next less sinister chapter of this report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.