Search

Lax-cdg-jnb Af F

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2005, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Lax-cdg-jnb Af F

This is part of a 3 1/2 week jounrey I am taking to South Africa. New part of the world for me. I used my DL miles (160,000 of them) for an AF F award. Not a bad deal for 4 ten hour flights! Wasn't hard to get the seats on the dates I wanted either, booking 6 weeks in advance.

Now, I have just completed the first leg of the journey, and I don't have much to praise just yet. I'll start with check in... Well, prior to check in. It was a tearful good-bye with my partner, who was not able to join me on this adventure. I already miss him dearly.

Terminal 2, LAX
I was second in the F line, and the computers were down. Took about 10 minutes to rectify. Cheery agent checked me in quickly and gave me an invite to the NW lounge. (I had thought that AF F pax use the new NZ lounge, as NW closes theirs at 6pm now. But it turns out that NW keeps the lounge open until 9 on the days that AF has the late flight). I tood my bags to the security check, said good-bye to them, and was on my way to the gate.

Security took no time, and I was soon in the NW lounge. Boy, has it gone downhill in the past few years! Lots of wear and tear. Not much food choice. And no wi-fi. The worst things was the offensive odor from the guy sitting near me. I was praying that he would not be my seat mate.

The flight, LAX-CDG, 744
Boarding was orderly chaos. Or is it chaotic order? I was soon on the plane. Now, I had been checking the seat maps, and up unitl a few hours before travel, the one next to me was empty. Anyway, I get to my seat, and it must have been 20 minutes before I was greeted. 30 minutes until my jacket was taken. 35 minutes until I was offered a drink. Offered some very nice PJ's and a smart, thought meager, amenity kit. The kit a hard case with a cloth/ silk-ish cover. Basics are inside.

AF didn't have the warmest service, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Flight departs at 9:35, and at 9:30, seat next to me is still empty.

But then a woman came along and claimed the seat. (At least it wasn't stinky from the NW club!) But here's what's odd. She took the seat, but then for both take-off and landing, she went back to C class. Wasn't sure what that was about!

Took off on time and soon we were over Vegas. Drink service included packaged cashews (that actually came in a box). Little appetizers (nova, crab, shrimp canapes.... the usual stuff) as well.

Dinner
Choice of hors d'oeuvre:
Duck foie gras
Poached shrimp and rock lobster
Fresh salad

Choice of main course
Grilled tournedos of beef
Filet and monkfish
Risotto with asparagus
Today's Suggestion
Chicken with curry sauce

Cheese, bakery
Dessert Cart
Petits fours frais
Strawberry tart
Tiramisu
Choclate Delight
Sherbert with cookies
Fruit

I chose the chicken curry, which was excellent. I has this with a salad. Not much else. Service was very basic. They had a cart, the same as would be used in Y, and unpacked much of the food in front of us. But it was tasty. The two FA's were perfunctory but pleasent. Not refined the way other F classes are. (I prefer the srevice in UA F, though not the food).

Entertainment was old style. I watched, "Tootsie." Such a classic. Went to bed after that and actualyl slept a bit.

Breakfast was 45 minutes before landing. Eggs or waffles. I had a waffle, which was OK, but not great.

We landed early and I was off the plane quickly. Made my way over to 2F at CDG and found the lounge. CDG, as others have reported, is not the greatest connection airport. I was looking forward to some Duty Free shopping. Pickings are very slim, especially if you are looking for shoes and electronics (the two things I particularly wanted!).

Took a nice shower and am sitting here in the F lounge now. Wi-fi is not free, but the food offerings are nice.

More later!

Last edited by zrs70; Sep 27, 2005 at 11:38 am
Old Sep 27, 2005, 4:01 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Thanks for the concise report. From what I have observed, there does not seem to be huge difference between F and J meals on AF. As a matter of fact, the second meal on flights from CDG to SFO is identical on both menus. Flying F gives you the following:

-canapes service
-additional salad course
-1 extra main meal choice
-2 extra dessert choices (petits fours & another pastry)
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I find your review disheartening. To think AF has sunk so low in its F-class service. I remember flying that class years ago and it was the empitome of one's expectation for cuisine. Albeit the FAs were also what one would expect from AF: snooty and arrogant.

Back then, to be a senior FA, you generally came from a connected family and did the job as a way of seeing the world and getting paid for it. Service was a passing inconvenience.

BTW, what was with your seatmate? I'd certainly have explored the matter further.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:26 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Shareholder
BTW, what was with your seatmate? I'd certainly have explored the matter further.
Just a guess, but....

I had this same situation on MH F last year. Seatmate was there for the flight, but in C for takeoff/landing.

I asked one of the FAs, and turns out seatmate was an employee taking the last seat in F while his MOTHER sat in C. She'd never flown before, so he went back to be with her for the "scary parts."
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cdg-jnb

After 5.5 hours in the F lounge at CDG, it was time for the leg down to JNB. There was a huge crowd at the boarding area, and the posted signs for elite, F, and C pax was ignored by everyone. I made it onto the plane, and once again into seat 3A. (According to the loads an hour earlier, AF was still selling 5 F seats for my flight, and the seat map showed 3B empty!)

But of course, as I got to my seat, 3B was filled

The FA's were much more pleasent and timely on this segment. Lots of smiles. I was offered a drink soon after boarding, along with more PJ's, another amenity kit, and a menu. Slippers were already in the seat pocket.

My seat mate was a talking. He really didn't shut up at all on the ground. I finally explained (during the safety briefing) that it was important to pay attention.

Now, a word about the briefing. It is really, really, poorly done! The actors are over the top in speaking their lines right. It's just a bit much!

Once in the air, supper began. No drink service, as the flight left after 11pm, and people wanted to sleep. (The flight is listed as having a snack for supper and a full breakfast). I left the menu on the plane, so I will just outline my choices:

For supper, I skipped the appetizers and went right to the veal, which was delicious. I skipped the cheese and went right for the pinneapple tart. I asked for port, but the FA didn't understand me. No prob, as I was tired anyway.

I watched a Tommy Lee Jones movie with cheerleaders in it. Funny but not all that great. I really like TLJ, going back to his performance in, "Coal Miner's Daughter," my favorite movie of all times.

I reclined my seat into a full bed and closed my eyes. Unfortunately, the FA's did not come by with the full duvet and pillows, as they had on my previous flight. I was too tired to ask them for one.

I slept a few hours, walked around, and slept some more.

2.5 hours before landing, I got back up and watched more video. Breakfast came 1 hour before landing. Eggs or French toast. I had the eggs, along with delicious pastries. (I love morning breads. My waist line does not!)

Landing was beautiful, and soon we pulled up to the remote stand. I used to love remote stands, as it's kinda fun to walk outside, take photos, etc. But I don't like them on international arrivals, when timing off the plane is essential so that you can run toward the front of the immigration line!

Still, I was near the front, and then it was time for bags. Though mine were priority, they were literally in the last batch onto the belt.

Well, 25 hours after leaving LAX, I got to JNB. I'll be here for 2.5 weeks. While here, I go down to CPT. I'll report about those flights when the time comes!
Old Oct 5, 2005, 12:18 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Very nice report... please make sure to tell us about what you actually DID in CPT when you post the rest! As for AF... well there's one carrier I can cross off my list of 'want to try out in F'.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL PM
We also were incredibly disappointed with AF F on two different flights from CDG-LAX in April. My husband and I were on the same flt but two days apart and we both had the same opinion although I had a good crew at least. The food was terrible(out of CDG no less!), the entertainment very limited and dated, however the flat seat was very comfortable and the wine was decent. I will use my hard earned miles for VS UC instead even though it means going thru LHR.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 5:23 pm

Programs: LH FTL, Marriott Plat
Interesting report

Just flew AF in Y from CDG to SFO and back and was surprised by the high quality of service offered in Y. Seems like Economy is the only AF service-class far superior to most competitors. I wouldnīt pay thousands of dollars for this kind of F-class.

Canīt wait to read more about your stay in Africa!

-Tom
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hey all! I'm back in town. The return trip was not much better. But let me explain the purpose. I was in JNB serving a small congregation for the Jewish Holy Days. It was such an incredible experience, and it is kind of odd being home. I loved being there for so many reasons. JNB is a strange place. I used to think that no one walked in Los Angeles. But becuase of high crime, the streets (even the nice suburgs) in JNB are ghost towns. Kind of strange.

The reform Jewish community is small and tight. But the people were very welcoming. It was a nice breath of fresh air for them to have a younger rabbi like me!

If you want more details (photos, etc). e-mail me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.