Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:19 am
Original Poster

BA MEL-SIN vv (club world and WT+)

17th Sept, MEL-SIN
BA18, seat 13J, 744
Scheduled departure - 1625
Actual departure - 1640

I wanted to use the Skybus to get to Melbourne Airport in order to save some money, but there were taxis organising carpooling at the Skybus city terminal. It worked out to be not much more expensive (not to mention more comfy, and faster) than actually taking the Skybus.

Arrived at MEL at about 1335. BA18 appeared to be extremely full in WHY and glorified WHY (oops I mean, premium economy) that day as the queue for economy check in snaked all the way to the virgin blue terminal. I was glad to be able to have a choice of club world check in or the service desk as I've already checked in online for my flight. I decided to use the service desk as there was a queue at the club world check in.

Prior to this flight I got a friend who works for BA in one of the UK offices to enter a msg in my PNR to encourage the check-in agents to get me an upgrade. The MEL agents happily obliged as both WHY and WT+ were full and there were empty seats in club. I was given seat 13J, a refreshing change from seat 19B! My bags were tagged with the pink QF business class priority tags.

I trotted off to immigration where there was a small queue. The immigration officer saw that I was in club world and wished me a pleasant flight along with a huge smile, quite a change from the usual surly immigration officers one has come to expect at MEL! After immigration I headed to the Qantas Club, the designated lounge for BA and ow airlines at MEL.

The QC at MEL wasn't too bad. Nothing spectacular but provides a good place to relax in while waiting for boarding to commence. There was chicken and corn soup, with some savoury snacks. Great choices of red and white wine though. There were also a few computers for people to work on.

Boarding was called at 1610, and I headed off to Gate 8 to board the a/c. Boarding was by row number, however no mention of priority boarding for First/Club pax or oneworld Emerald/Sapphire customers. As a result I had to join the queue like everyone else.

The crew member that welcomed me at the entrance to the a/c greeted me by name and pointed me to his colleague who showed me to my seat. The NCW seats on this a/c were meticulously clean. I like the way seats are arranged in BA's business class as it makes the cabin feel like a lounge. Certain people report feeling awkward taking off backwards but they often get used to it once the a/c levels out.

A choice of orange juice, champagne or water was served as pre-take off drinks, and the menu and amenity kit was handed out. I had the champagne which happened to be a Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top Brut Reserve Champagne, as per the menu. The Molton Brown amenity kit was awesome, had a line up of products from MB including a peppermint toothpaste, coconut cream hand and body lotion (which I NEVER FAIL get in bulk when I visit the UK!), fresh mint mouthwash, and the usual socks/eyeshades/toothbrush/ear plugs set. After takeoff, drinks were served again. I had a champagne cocktail this time, the Buck's Fizz which is a combination of champagne and sweet orange juice.

Dinner was then served:

Starters
Crab and avacado salad on tarragon leaves

OR

Grilled Haloumi cheese served on roast tomatoes

Fresh seasonal salad served with vinaigrette

Main
Roast blue-eyed cod with lobster butter and champ potatoes

Cottage Pie

Coconut chicken with sweet basil and noodles

Parma ham on a salad of grilled vegetables and Mozzarella cheese

Dessert
Bush lime and coconut panna cotta

A selection of cheese

I had the crab/avocado salad with the salad, followed by the cottage pie (lovely to have good ol traditional english fare!), and the panna cotta. Dinner was accompanied by a good French red - Chateau Villa Bel Air 1999, Graves. They were all delicious and definitely restaurant quality. My glass of red wine was topped up constantly. The only let down was the salad, I'd hate to see what 'non-fresh' salad is like on BA given the quality of the 'fresh' salad served. I was also expecting cheese but the crew interpreted the Dessert section as 'either/or.' I didn't ask for the cheese as I was quite full anyway. As usual in BA club world, presentation could be better. I was expecting something more ceremonius. Instead things were presented to me on a tray (the very same one used in WHY) glorified with a cloth on top of it. Cute crokery though, and plastic cutlery due to UK regulations.

Coffee/tea and pralines were served after dessert. The cabin crew also offerred me an additional main course as they thought my pie was rather small. I declined as I had a heavy lunch prior to heading to the airport. The purser also saw that I was sufferring from a cough and offerred me his self-concocted cough relief - blackcurrant herbal tea with 2 spoonfuls of sugar and a dose of lemsip! It was a very nice touch and did do wonders for my cough although the mixture tasted a bit weird.

The Cabin Services Director got me to fill out a survey form. It was my first time being picked on BA. Needless to say I commended the professionalism of the cabin crew, especially the caring purser.

I decided to have a siesta after my meal as nothing on the IFE particularly interested me, apart from an episode each of Friends and Everybody loves Raymond. BA's flat beds are what set it apart from its competitors flying the Kangaroo route, as it's completely flat unlike the other established carriers flying the route (including QF, SQ, MH, CX) whose seats slide to the ground at a slight angle. For a more than 20 hour flight it really makes a difference, but I suppose for the 7.5 hours' journey to Singapore it's no biggie as the club world seats are quite average in normal seating position.

In between the meal services we were welcome to raid the galley for tidbits but I didn't feel the need to as I was so full from dinner. Shortly before landing, a refreshment was served:

Snacks
A selection of sandwiches

OR

Provencale vegetable timbale

Sweets
Pear Normande

Drinks
Ground coffee, decaffeinated coffee or tea

Selection of herbal teas - peppermint, blackcurrant, apple or camomile and honey

I had the sandwiches which were ok, the dessert was amazing though. I had another serving of the blackcurrant tea, this time on its own although the purser did ask whether I wanted another dose of the homemade cure relief.

Preparations for landing commenced after the refreshment service, and we experienced a very smooth landing. Information was given about connecting QF/BA flights from SIN to Europe, as well as connecting oneworld flights to other destinations. We docked at gate C23 5 mins early. Unlike QF flights, BA passengers are allowed to remain onboard, and many chose to do so. I was one of the few club world pax who terminated our journeys at SIN.

The flight on the whole was fantastic, however boarding arrangements at MEL could be better for premium pax like SIN or LHR. Not a fault of BA of course since ground staff at MEL were QF staff. Presentation of food could be improved but when the food's good I don't really care.

I didn't have to wait long for my bags at SIN, whether it was because the Club world bags were prioritised or I spent a long time searching for duty free alcohol for friends in Singapore I don't know. This is since there have been times where bags were dumped on the baggage belt regardless of status or class of travel.

And here's a tribute to the awesome purser:

Next: SIN-MEL on WT+

p/s Apologies for my below average photographic abilities, and for the lack of photographs of food for you airline food enthusiasts but I thought it was too weird taking pictures of my food.

Last edited by Keith009; Sep 26, 2005 at 10:40 am
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Excellent photos. Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:47 am

Great report! Good insight and nice photos! Well done and look forward to reading more of your wonderful adventures keith! haha
Old Sep 27, 2005, 5:36 am

Great photos!! How did you post them on your the same site as your FT trip report? Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW4
Great photos!! How did you post them on your the same site as your FT trip report? Thanks
Actually, it's odd... I wasn;t even aware that the photos are appearing with the trip report. All I can see is the links to the photos, and I thought people are meant to click on them b4 they appear.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:45 am

Programs: BA GGL
Focus is a wonderful thing, autofocus more so!
Old Oct 7, 2005, 11:44 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
QF009, now we know who you are...and photo's are something I'm going to have to learn how to add to my TR's. Good to see you're AA Plat, when did that happen - this trip ??
Old Oct 9, 2005, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QF WP
QF009, now we know who you are...and photo's are something I'm going to have to learn how to add to my TR's. Good to see you're AA Plat, when did that happen - this trip ??
Yeah it happened after BA18, as part of the Lack of Chaallenge which started in July. I then matched to UA PremEx coz I am going to do lots of *A next year.

And let it be known that I learnt the concepts of Challenge and status matching through Flyertalk!

Last edited by Keith009; Oct 9, 2005 at 9:30 am
Old Oct 11, 2005, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks for the report ^

Can't wait for the SIN-MEL report

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.