Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, MH Enrich
Sq Kul-(sin)-hkg-sin-kul Y

16 Aug 2005
KUL-SIN
SQ103
0815-0910
Aircraft : Boeing 777-200 (Regional 2 class)

This was an award redemption that cost me 25500 miles (Internet). Check-in done on the Internet. Lots of mainland China/Hong Kong tourists returning home on this flight. Flight time was 29 minutes(!). The usual refreshments were served - orange, mango juices, coffee and tea. Uneventful flight. Wisemen 3000 was wasted on this short flight.

16 Aug 2005
SIN-HKG
SQ862
1100-1445
Boeing 777-200 (Regional 3 Class)

Was offered a window emergency exit seat at check-in in KUL. The agent neglected to inform me that this seat didn't have a window. Was slightly disappointed not to get a window to myself on my first approach into Chep Lap Kok.

At SIN, boarding announcement was made for First and Business, PPS, families etc etc then Economy rows 51-57. About 70% of the boarding room got up. I was in row 44 so I waited. And waited. Still no announcement. In the end I gave up, and so did the ground staff I think, and got on the aircraft. Similar thing happened in KUL.

2 mainland Chinese FSS on this flight, one of whom served my aisle and was extremely diligent. Announcements made in Mandarin and English. Why doesn't SQ employ stewardesses from Guangzhou or the Cantonese speaking regions of China to serve these flights to HKG and make the announcements in Cantonese? HKers do speak Mandarin but are more comfortable in Cantonese. Ironically, we had a Malaysian FSS (Cantonese speaking) who was communicating best with the HK passengers.

Gone are the days where the bar service consisted of a trolley with all the drinks available even on long flights to LHR. The SOP now is orange juice, white wine and beer on a tray with another crew bringing round the peanuts so one either got his/her peanuts long before or after the drink.

Anyway, meal size was decent (especially when compared with friends who travelled the same route in CX Y). Menu as follows :-

International Selection
appetiser
Smoked Atlantic salmon with shredded cabbage and dill mustard dressing

main course
Hunter style chicken with forest mushroom, green peas and parmesan gnocchi
- Nancy Oakes of Boulevard, San Francisco

cheese and crackers

dessert
ice cream - Solero

Roll and butter, coffee, tea

Oriental Selection

appetiser
Thai inspired glass chicken with glass noodle salad

main course
Braised perch fillet with eggplant in black bean sauce served with assorted vegetables and fried rice

light bites
Chinese snack

dessert
Ice cream

Meal service was followed by duty free sales. There was no AVOD on this flight. My first in a number of years and a surprise how much I've taken AVOD for granted.

Aircraft arrived in HKG on time and my first visit to this massive airport. Was slightly disappointed that we got a gate right next to immigration control as I wanted to see more walking through the airport. When I met friends later who travelled on CX, they complained about having to take a skytrain(?) from where their aircraft was parked to immigration. So much for Cathay preferred gates?

All in all, crew were attentive and smiling at all times. Besides the lack of AVOD, flight was enjoyable.

20 Aug 2005
HKG-SIN
SQ 865
1830-2215
Boeing 747-400

After 5 days of Ocean Park, Ladies Market, Causeway Bay, Nathan Road, roast goose and dim sum, caught the last flight of the day from HKG to SIN. The best SQ check-in experience I've ever had. Beating SIN easily by a mile. All counters were open and lots of staff around the queue areas to assist. All smiling and friendly.

Wandered around the airport for about an hour. I have to say that I prefer the departures-only level system where there are no boarding rooms (like SIN, KUL, LHR).

Crew seemed tired but worked efficiently (one might even say robotically). Very little eye contact even in response to 'Thank you'. Stewards more pleasant and efficient on this flight.

The usual SOP with bar service. Catering ex HKG was great with the most amazing lamb stew I've had on an aircraft.

Menu as follows :-

International selection

appetiser
Bay scallops with pasta and vegetable salad

main course
Lamb navarin served with seasonal vegetables and fettucine pasta

cheese and crackers

dessert
Ice cream - Haagen-Dazs strawberry

Oriental selection

appetiser
Wasabi mayonnaise salmon with jellyfish salad

main course
Ah Yat's style chicken with onion-chili in preserved black beans, seasonal vegetables with steamed rice - Yeung Koon Yat of Forum Restaurant, Hong Kong

chinese snack

dessert
Ice cream

Lunches to HKG and dinners from HKG are exactly the same even though on different flight nos.

SIA Girls must have been really tired because duty free sales were done by 2 FS. Also, had a FS or LS (?) making the landing announcement.

AVOD was available on this flight and watched 1.5 HK movies. Flight time was shorter - about 3 hours and we landed in Changi on time.

23 Aug 2005
SIN-KUL
SQ112
1510-1605
Boeing 777-200 (Regional 2 class)

Got a seat assigned downtown the day before. Arrived 12 pm to check-in. Went to the Internet check-in counter. The usual sub-standard experience. Fortunately, the whole thing only took about 1 minute.

Flight time was 34 minutes. We were delayed by people (with checked-in baggage) deciding not to show up for the flight. As a result, we were 10 minutes late arriving in KUL.

The standard refreshments served with a grumpy, unsmiling CSS. Not that I really cared for such a short flight.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice brief report. Thanks for sharing! ^
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by wzwjon
2 mainland Chinese FSS on this flight, one of whom served my aisle and was extremely diligent. Announcements made in Mandarin and English. Why doesn't SQ employ stewardesses from Guangzhou or the Cantonese speaking regions of China to serve these flights to HKG and make the announcements in Cantonese? HKers do speak Mandarin but are more comfortable in Cantonese. Ironically, we had a Malaysian FSS (Cantonese speaking) who was communicating best with the HK passengers. ...
It's because Singapore did away with dialects years and years ago. Chinese is now just "mandarin" and is the official language of China. Hence all flights going/to from a Chinese speaking country gets Mandarin, and nothing else.

At least they are phonetically correct in speaking mandarin. Have you heard them SQ girls attempt to speak in bad, bad french? It's like hearing fingernails across a blackboard!
Old Aug 28, 2005, 3:41 am
BON

Programs: UA 1K
^ Great report, Jon!
Old Aug 29, 2005, 5:39 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Nice! Internet check-in is a godsend for those in the know
Old Sep 3, 2005, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Coathanger
Nice! Internet check-in is a godsend for those in the know
you still have to go to the counter to check in your bags right?
Old Sep 9, 2005, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by orson_y
you still have to go to the counter to check in your bags right?
Yes, you do have to, however, i think Coathanger was referring to the fact that by using internet check in, you can find out which window seats are actually windowless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.