Wiki Posts
Search

CMB Turnaround Star Alliance F report SQ/TG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2005, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up CMB Turnaround Star Alliance F report SQ/TG

Hi all,

Here is my return trip report back to LA, and it will involve mostly Star Alliance carriers. I am finally using one of those cheap or relatively inexpensive ex-Colombo ticket. And I issued myself an F class RT award ticket on SQ to CMB – 40,000 miles is definitely a bargain. The routing is the following: HKG-SIN-CMB-SIN-HKG-ICN-KIX-LAX and return will be in December. Well the report will divide in various postings.

August 18, 2005
SQ 1 HKG-SIN Lv0800 Arr1140 Boeing 747-400 9V-SPE

Photo link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5bsPA

Since it was a morning flight, I used airport express early check-in (the day before) service, and the agent was friendly. Jardine handles SQ flights BTW. She was thorough with everything and made sure I got the right first class experience. Well there was no lounge report because I did not get to the airport till 7:20am. I pretty much went straight to the gate and barely had a minute to buy some Hong Kong magazines in preparation for my 11 hours layover at Changi. The flight from SFO arrived early around 5:19am, and boarding began on time at 8:30am. F was relatively full, but not completely full. The SQ staffs were really amazing – newspapers (including Apple daily) and magazines are offered, and I was immediately addressed by my last name. Beverage was offered, as well as a nice warmed towel. Door was closed at 7:53am, and soon we pushed back. A bit unusual… we took off from R/W7L instead of the normal 7R, and a long taxing meant some plane-spotting, including a JL Boeing 777-300ER. Here is the list:
CX 744 B-HOV at gate 1 (heading to TPE/NRT), B-HUI at gate 43 (Heading to Cebu), and B-HOO (gate 2) heading to MNL, SQ 773 9V-SQF, NW 744 N662US Old livery, AI 313 VT-EVE (only 30 minutes late this morning), HS-UTK OX 743, JL 773ER JA733J as JL730 to NRT at gate 47, and JL 744 Classic livery JA8079 as JL 736 to NRT at gate 49.

After a CX 744 (B-HKD with P&W engines) and an A330-300 landed, a TG A330-300 New HS-TEF and CX 747-400 B-HUE took off, we took our turn and lifted off at 8:21am. Flying time was three hours and nine minutes and cruising attitude was 12,200m, and our routing was basically Hong Kong – Ho Chi Minh City – Malaysia – Singapore.

A round of juice was offered immediately, and followed by brunch – and each course was served individually from the galley – no trolley. The F/As were very courteous and instead of taking away empty glasses, they would ask if you want a refill first. Here is the wine list and menu transcript!

Wine List
Dom Perignon 1996
Krug Grande Cuvee

White Wines
Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Kabinett 2000
Erdener Treppchen Riesling Kabinett 2003 Dr Loosen
Meridian Edna Valley Reserve Chardonnay 2001

Red Wines
1999 Sequoia Grove Cabernet Sauvignon
Chateau Cos D’Estournel 1998 Saint Estephe

Port
Warre’s twenty years old tawny

Brunch from Hong Kong to San Francisco
Juices
A choice of apple, tomato, and freshly squeezed orange juice

Fruit
Fresh Fruit Plate
Really unique and exotic fruit plate – half sliced peach (delicious), 3 longan with half of the peel removed, and half a kiwi – the presentation was nice and the fruit plate was not the usual kind.

Light Starters
Choice of cereals or cornflakes
Cornflakes with milk or Birchermuesli
Plain or fruit yogurt
I had a bowl of strawberry yogurt –- no plastic cup… the yogurt was served in a soup bowl.

Main Courses
Fish Congee
Rice congee cooked with sliced garoupa fillet and topped with Chinese cruellers

Roasted Cornish game hen served with grainy mustard sauce, braised endive and sautéed potato with onion and bacon

Freshly prepared eggs
Baked, soft-boiled or scrambled egg on toast served with choice of broiled ham or Louisiana beef sausage

I had the fish congee, which was surprisingly good. The fish fillet was fresh, and the congee was not overcooked or too watery. It was just like those served in ground, and the presentation was amazing. A good choice for a light breakfast!

Dessert
White chocolate panna cotta with raspberry soup and sesame tuile

From the bakery
Assorted bread rolls
Butter, Jam, Marmalade, or Honey
Croissants, muffins, and rolls were offered.

After a nice breakfast, I decided to take a nap before my long layover at Singapore. Descent began around 11:01am, and due to thunderstorm and raining in the area, F/As were asked to prepare landing a bit earlier. We landed at R/W20R at 11:30am, and parked at gate E4 ten minutes later. It was a wonderful flight and no wonder Singapore Airlines was one of the best airlines in the world.

August 18, 2005
SQ 468 SIN-CMB Lv2240 Arr0015+1 Boeing 777-200ER
Well I am sitting in the first class lounge right now. If there is a weakest link in SQ experience, the lounge is one of them. It is really not up to par with CX’s the Wing or the Pier. The relatively dark or lack of natural light arrangement at the lounge is not that appealing to me. Food and drinks are all self-served and the food selections include two soups – Chinese sweet and sour soup or Chicken consommé with egg royal, as well some light snacks such as chicken bites, samosa, and puff pastries. The main courses include carrot cake dish and lasagna. Of course cheese, ice cream, sandwiches, and other small items are offered, but not as good as CX’s Peninsula catering, the noodle bar, and other airlines’ food offerings. The lounge is still pretty nice with lots of seating areas, as well as a slumberette room, but not as good as CX’s lounge at HKG. Well the evening improves somewhat with some chicken dish with potatoes gratin, fried rice, a plate of smoked fish, sushi (well futomaki and eel mainly), and more satays. I will write a bit more in the conclusion.

August 18, 2005
SQ 468 SIN-CMB Lv2240 Arr0015+1 Boeing 777-2000 9V-SQJ

Photo Link: (Combined SQ 468/9)
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5bsOm

Well the flight was not too full this evening, as the gate area was calm and under control. Boarding began at 10:12pm at gate F33, and a wonderful set of crew including the cute Danny immediately welcomed me by my name (it was a miraculous act on how they remember your name before you even walk into the plane – just a glance, you are immediately recognized). This crew will be with me for the rest of the evening, as they also work on the return flight – pretty tough flights to work on, but redeye meant a quicker service. Door was closed early at 10:38pm, and the quiet plane was quickly filled by this big family of seven, and fortunately, the children were calmed after the initial excitement, and the interactive video system has its benefits. However, my sole complaint was that the passengers were not all seated with their seat belt fastened when we started to push back at 10:42pm. Of course, being SQ, after seated, I was offered a beverage – Dom Perignon please, and one good thing about SQ F/A especially compared to CX, they always offer you the best and not waiting for you to offer. This tiny gesture and look, “Are you sure you don’t want more Dom Perignon?” They know you want the best and offer the best just in case you don’t know. We took off from R/W20C at 10:51pm, and flying time was three hours and nine minutes, and we climbed to 38,000feet for this short flight. I am not going to repeat the wine lists again, as the next three flights have the same list, and what I can say is the Dom is so good, as well as the Riesling.

Supper from Singapore to Colombo
Soup
Cream of roasted pumpkin with sautéed ceps
It was a really nice soup – some of the best soups ever – mushrooms and diced pumpkins in this rich flavorful creamy pumpkin broth.

Main Courses
Pan-fried chicken breast with tagliatelle in mushroom cream sauce
*Exclusively created by Gordon Ramsay, London
Or
Singapore Satay and mutton soup
Grilled chicken and lamb skewers, cucumber, onions and steamed rice cake in spicy peanut gravy, served with mutton soup
Or
Designer pizza of chilled Balik smoked salmon and mizuna salad

I ordered the Book the Cook service and have the Lobster Thermidor, which was okay – can be better, but I honestly think it was better than the choices offered this evening.

Fresh Fruit
A selection of fresh fruit
Bananas, kiwi, apple, longan, and orange

From the Bakery
Garlic bread or Ciabatta bread

After the meal, Evian water bottles were passed out and duty free was offered around 12:12am Singapore time. For the rest of the flight, most of us took a nap until descent at 11:33pm CMB local time (two hours behind SIN), and hot towel was offered again during the descent. We landed at R/W22 on midnight, and my first impression of Colombo Bandaranaike International was that it was really small and we parked at Bay C21. There was a terminal in construction with jetways, but for now, stairs and buses for us. The ground staff did not offer any special pick up but after a quick inquiry, this SQ staff immediately pointed me to the Sri Lankan transit desk (Sri Lankan handled every airlines), and I was given boarding passes all the way to HKG. I was told to use the Lotus lounge, which was really disappointing, but I honestly did not expect much in the first place. The airport was actually quite clean and airy, and bright with comfortable chairs. The gate areas were chaotic due to the limited space, but I am sure in the future, it will be better when jetways were used. At this late evening, there were a few flights – including CX 773 B-HNG heading back to HKG via BKK, and a Sri Lankan flight to Beijing.

August 19, 2005
SQ 469 CMB-SIN Lv0135 Arr0735 Boeing 777-200ER 9V-SQJ
Well the same crew welcomed me on board again, and they were not surprised as I had already told them my story. The flight had eight passengers, and I was able to move to 1A shortly before door was closed. The F/As were much friendlier, as they already knew me. The F seats were the regional kinds – not full flat, but I found it alright. I preferred the Sky Suites, but regional F seats were also comfortable. If I don’t have a neighbor, it will be a comfortable flight. Same pre-flight routing, but since it is an overnight flight over three hours and thirty minutes, sleeper suits and amenity kits were offered, but no duvet service. It is nice to have all these cute SQ amenities. Push back was early at 1:34am, and there was no wait for takeoff. After an Emirates’ Boeing 777-300 landed, we immediately lifted off from R/W22 at 1:51am. Flying time was three hours and forty minutes with a cruising attitude of 37,000 feet.

Service was once again simplified supper, and the service was designed to be quicker since we all wanted to sleep.
Here is the transcript:
Supper
Soup
Seafood chowder garnished with spring onion cream and garlic crostini
The chowder tasted okay… not much expectation from the CMB catering kitchen, but it was acceptable.

Main Courses
Warm tuna panini with Greek salad and mesclun, balsamic dressing
Exclusively created by Nancy Oakes of Boulevard, San Francisco
Or
Warmed Tandoori Lamb sandwich with tomato and onion chutney, potato wedges, mixed salad and chef’s dressing
I had this option, which was quite nice for a late evening flight. It was spicy though for those did not know South Asian food.
Or
Sri Lankan style noodles with deviled chicken and vegetable

Fresh Fruit
Same fruit selection but no longan – I had another kiwi – really sweet today.

Oven Fresh rolls
Cheese rolls and garlic bread

Vittel water bottles were passed out after supper. I slept after this quick supper, and did not wake up till descent at 7:06am Singapore local time. Hot towel and beverage were once again offered – three hot towel services for a three hours flight were amazing. We landed on R/W20C at 7:31am, and parked at gate F50 later.

Plane-spotting
SQ A340-500s: 9V-SGC (LAX), 9V-SGA (EWR), 9V-SQE, 9V-SPP Boeing 744 in Star Alliance livery heading to LHR, and an Silkair A319 9V-SBD

August 19, 2005
SQ 862 SIN-HKG Lv1100 Arr1445 Boeing 777-200ER 9V-SQK
Photo Link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5bsOE

Well I was back at the F lounge, and this time I had another small breakfast – wonton noodle station was set up, as well as dim sum, chicken bun, scrambled egg, and Nasi Lemak – better selections if you ask me. Then I took a nap at the slumberette room, which had some strange seats as seen in my pictures. However, I was able to sleep for an hour and half before taking a shower. The shower room was okay, but not as nice as the QF ones at SYD, AC ones at YVR, or CX ones at HKG. I really hope that a toilet can be attached to the shower.

Planes – 9V-SVF SQ 772, B-HNL 772 following us to HKG, and GA 733 PK-GGG

Well this midmorning flight had an okay load, but not crazily full. F had eight passengers again (SQ was doing well in F sales), and I had 1A and B to myself again. Sandy is our main F/A and she is really friendly. The usual pre-takeoff routine of course – Dom Perignon, menu, newspapers, and hot towels, and what more can you ask? Door was closed at 10:57am and pushed back at 11:01am. We taxied to Runway 20C this morning, and took off at 11:22am, and flying time was three hours and forty-seven minutes, with a cruising attitude of 12,192m. Beverage service includes an almond or cashew or both service, followed by a full lunch experience. I gave Shi Quan Shi Mei meal a tray, and the concept was really good, but the food was not that impressive. Same wine list again, and here is menu transcript

Lunch
International Selection
Appetizers
Chilled petrossian caviar with melba toast and condiments
Duckliver Terrine with smoked duck breast, fig compote, baby lettuces and mustard dressing

Soup
Beef Consomme with sago pearls and green soya beans

Salad
Fine Mesclun leaves withy shaved fennel and cranberry tomato
Apple Balsamico dressing
Thousand Island Dressing

Main Courses
Roasted Beef Fillet with red wine jus, onion jam, asparagus ragout and parmesan flavored potato pancake
Or
Gaeng Khew Wan Gai
Chicken and vegetables in green curry served with steamed rice
Or
Ceps risotto cake topped with mixed baby lettuce, shaved parmesan cheese and drizzled tomato coulis and basil oil
Specially prepared meatless selection

Cheese
Selection of Cheese with Garnishes

Fresh Fruit

Dessert
Warm Mango tart tatin served with mango ice cream and raspberry coulis

Shi Quan Shi Mei “A complete and perfect Chinese culinary Experience”
Cold Xio chi (Cold appetizers)
Asparagus in mango and passionfruit dressing
A bit strange mix

Pork Belly in spicy garlic dressing
Not taste enough

Lobster with preserved vegetables
Just a pice of lobster, but pretty good.

Silken Tofu with century egg
Surprising the best out of the four – really good
Strangly, some milk buns were offered to go with the appetizers.

Cuisine from the Wok’s
Wok-fried Beef tenderloin in black pepper sauce
Okay, but are you sure that it is wok fried? More like a normal beef steak with sauce

Baked Cod with Foie Gras in light soy sauce
Not a good dish

Prawns in green wasabi mayo and mango salsa
Not sure if I taste the mango

Braised “Bai Ling” mushroom with kai lan
Nice dish

From the paddyfields
Choice of steamed rice or porridge

Soup
Double Boiled chicken broth with wild bamboo piths and crab slaw
A nice soup… refreshing and so homemade

Sweet note
Chilled pear consommé with barley and seasame mousse
I had the western dessert, which was quite nice.

Finally I wanted to give credits to Sandy, who pretty much worked the whole flight. The whole meal experience was restaurant style and I was really impressed with SIA. Due to rainstorm in HKG, we were placed on a holding pattern. We finally landed at 3:09pm at R/W25R. I spotted SAA’s A340-600 ZS-SNE, BA 744 C-BYGD, GF 343 A40-LE, and Royal Brunei’s A320 V8-RBT. We parked at gate 16 ten minutes later. It was a pretty good flight, and compared to my last few CX F regional flights, SQ did a better job and always offered the best. I guess it might be a really unfair comparison between CX and SQ, but after these few flights, SQ really succeeds over CX in many aspects. CX will always play a very special place in my heart and its local HK offerings and Cantonese-speaking F/As will always put them in an advantage. Nevertheless, SQ really offers a good product and its flight attendants are as friendly and professional as CX, but SQ has an advantage in terms of its food – exotic menus and BTC, and various innovations in terms of food, not to mention a better menu design, and its F/As are more generous than CX F/As (although I feel that CX F/As may be under company pressure in conserving alcohol beverage), and SQ F/As will only insist on you having more Dom Perignon or show you what they can offer – never hide them and wait till you ask for a particular item. That is luxurious service, if you ask me! In terms of regional flights, at least SQ (and KE in this case) still offers their luxurious champagne and wine collections, and do not weaken their food and beverage because of its short haul flight. SQ also offers various amenities, such as socks and eyeshades on the shorter flights and most importantly, SQ offers more F service flights on its regional network than CX plus there are no worry for last minute aircraft change like CX, for example, from 34C (Three-cabin 340) to 34D (Two Cabin 340), or from 744 to 773/34D. However SQ is also a bit weak in terms of lounges especially Silver Kris at SIN. CX F lounges at HKG are really way better than SQ, as discussed earlier, and SQ should work on renovating the lounges. CX also has the local HK flavor that a Hong Kong person like me will appreciate, and its ability to earn AA miles and EQM, and also feel that CX F seats/suites are better than SQ Sky Suits in terms of width, but of course, difference is not major in any means. In conclusion, I don’t think either airlines are overly superior than the other because they have their pros and cons, and those CX or SQ are better or bashing threads are rather unnecessary, and I feel that both airlines are premium airlines and can continue to strive for better products. But one thing for sure, I don’t think SQ F/As are robotic by any means – in Raffles Class, sometimes… but in first class, they are all as friendly as possible. I hope my comments will not offend any CX or SQ fans, but at least here are my honest thoughts.

Last edited by Carfield; Sep 4, 2005 at 4:20 pm
Old Aug 22, 2005, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up A Tale of Two Korean Airlines

A tale of two Korean Airlines
Well comparison seems a bit unfair, as my Korean Air segment was much shorter than Asiana, but it gave you a glimpse of the airlines. First off, seatwise, I flew the Premium First class seat of both airlines – those lie flat sleeper seats of the coffin design. Despite both seats are quite dated in these days, but Asiana definitely spends more time in maintaining the seats. The lumber of my Korean Air seat seems to see its better days, and the electronic design is much better on OZ seats. Flight attendants – both are excellent, but Korean Air is a bit more personable and English speaking abilities are better and are able to make small talks. KE F/As greet and bid farewell to each passenger after takeoff, and before landing, which is quite nice. Food – I cannot compare because OZ flight was much longer and KE flight was really short flight, but Dom Perignon 1996 served by KE even on regional flights was really nice. Amenities – both airlines offer slippers – Asiana uses a nicer silky bag, while KE uses those plastic, but both slippers are higher quality than their business class. Amenities such as toothbrushes, mouthwashes, and combs are kept in the bathroom, and both airlines have LG designed their products, so there is no difference except the branding of the individual airlines. Menu wise – KE does not let me keep the menus because of the leather covers. Asiana has a new menu design – F/As don’t want us to keep the menus, but no excuse not to let me take them. Well here is the trip report

August 20, 2005
OZ 722 HKG-ICN Lv1315 Arr1745 Boeing 747-400 Combi HL7421
Photo Link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5bsNq

Well the rainstorm had been nonstop in Hong Kong since the previous evening, and early morning, I decided to order a van service towards the airport because I did not want to deal with getting a cab and then airport express. I arrived at HKG around ninety minutes prior to my flight. There was a line in F, but an agent spotted me immediately and directed me to her briefly deserted J counter. Bags were checked through to KIX and she also blocked the seat next to me, but since there were only 2 F passengers, it was no problem. I went to Dragonair Lounge next, as Asiana uses KA lounge. Food selections remain the same as fried rice and noodles, as well as some rice porridge. One addition was the noodle stall – Hong Kong style fish ball and beef ball noodles, in which it was a copycat of CX’s the Noodle Bar but with an additional Hong Kong element added to it. The lady making the noodles was very friendly, but I really was not too hungry. After a glass of Perrier and a few phone calls, I headed towards the gate, which was quite busy, and I was welcomed aboard immediately by the Asiana Korean-speaking agent/supervisor, and the F/As immediately assisted with bags and were friendly. Pre-takeoff beverage was immediately offered with a bowl of peanuts/cashews, as well as slippers, but newspapers are only limited to Korean papers. Door was closed at 1:16pm, but due to heavy rain and ATC delay, we were placed on hold for thirty minutes – not good for my connection to Osaka.

Some plane-spotting notes:
BA 744 G-CIVG 1st am arrival flight, SA 346 ZS-SNF, China Southern A330 B-6059, NH 744 JA403A, CI’s B-16410 Boeing new hybrid livery, MU A321 B-2289, B-HXN CX 343, EVA Air’s Boeing 747-400 Combi B-16409, JL 763 JA8976

We finally pushed back at 1:35pm and taxied slowly toward R/W25L. Well after a China Eastern’s A340-600 B-6053 (or 6063), an Air China’s B767-200 B-2555, a CX’s A330-300 B-HLK, an Emirates Cargo’s 744F, and finally an Airbus A300-600R B-18579 operated by CI, we lifted off from a really rainy and windy Hong Kong at 2;03pm. Flying time was three hours and six minutes, and routing was Hong Kong, Taichung, Taipei, Jeju, and Incheon, and we climbed up to 37,000feet. There were several patches of turbulence along the way. Meal service began shortly after seat belt sign was off, and I was surprised that a full International standard main meal was offered – not that I mind. First course was beverage and canapé, and then each course was served course by course. Here is the wine list and menu transcript:

Wine list
Champagne
1995 Tattinger Comtes de Champagne
Piper-Heidsieck Brut

White Wines
2001 Chablis 1er Cru, Fourchaume
1998 Pouilly-Fuisse

Red Wines
1999 Chateau Leoville Poyferre, 2e Cru Classe, Saint-Julien
1998 Vougeot 1er, Domaine Bertagna

Ice Wine
2003 Jackson-Triggs Vidal VQA Ice Wine

Lunch
Hong Kong-Seoul
Selection of Canapé
Smoked Duck, Crab Basket, Marinated Melon Skewer
Smoked duck was served on top of bread, which was very good, and then the crab salad with mango was served on fried basket, and the melon skewer was accompanied by pickled ginger. It was quite nice.

Hors d’Oeuvre
Grilled Prawn, Vegetable Antipasto Skewer, Black Forest Ham
Nice appetizer plate and ingredients were all fresh

Creamy Pea and Mint Soup
Or
Chicken Consomme
I had the chicken consommé, and there were some pieces of chicken meats too.

Tossed Salad
Served with Yogurt or Coriander Dressing
The salad was filled with fresh vegetables – lettuce, endive, rollo, butter lettuce, reomaine heart, asparagus bottoms, pine nuts, pepper strips, and was very good.

Beef Tenderloin Steak served with Cepes Mushroom Sauce
Topped with Tomato Dice and Chopped Parsley
Or
King Prawn
Fried King Prawn Served with Coriander Soya sauce
Flavored with Chopped Garlic and Chopped Parsley

To complement your meal choice
Steamed Rice, Lyonnaise Potato, Asparagus, Chateau Carrot, and Stir-Fried Mixed Vegetable
It was served in a trolley, and the king prawn was delicious and whole service style was so restaurant like, and the prawn was huge, and the sauce was flavourful. I had some rice, and vegetables on the side. Great job, Asiana!
Or
Korean
Korean Royal Cuisine “Bibimbap”
Steamed Rice Mixed with Various Kinds of Vegetable, Accompanied by Hot Pepper Paste and Seasame Oil, Kimchi, Assorted Side Dishes, and Bean Sprout Soup
Assorted Cheese and Fresh Fruit
Well it was two plates of freshly prepared cheese and fruit – blue, Brie, and gouda with dried fruit, nuts, walnut brown bread, and then there is a separate plate of fruit – watermelon, cantaloupe, dragonfruit, and grapes – very fresh….

Tiramisu Cake
Huge piece of delicious tiramisu cake – it will be perfect if there is a bit more liqeur – I guess it dried up in the sky anyway.

Coffee
Jamaican Blue Moutain, Decaffeinated
Tea
Asiana tea Garden

For the bread selection, there were soft rolls, garlic bread, Sesame seed rolls, pretzel rolls… The meal was delicious and with only two passengers, the F/As were very attentive. After the meal, there was always one F/A standing by at the bar and made sure that all our needs were taken care of. For entertainment, the main screen shows mainly KBS Channel 9 news, CNN News, and various short subject like MTV and promotions. The weakness of both airlines based in Korea was the lack of entertainment choices – even their long haul entertainment guides look lacking, and their PTVs were all from the earlier generation with small screens, and limited options. Descent began at 4:38pm, and we landed at Incheon R/W33R at 6:09pm local time (Seoul was an hour faster than Hong Kong). Well with no one directing connecting passengers, I immediately headed to the transit area and the agent did not really know how to read a ticket. She was wasting my time. Anyway, she let me go and then headed to Transit Counter B. The KE agents were all efficient, but there was no smile. They looked rather cold and their English speaking abilities was also relatively lacking. Well there was no time to visit the KE lounge, in which I was sort of looking forward to. Well too bad… at least I did not miss my flight.

KE 721 ICN-KIX Lv1905 Arr2045 Boeing 747-400 HL7402
Photo Link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5bsNI

Well boarding was on time and here went my first ever Korean Air flight. The F/As immediately smiled and greeted me as I boarded. F/As were very friendly and personable. They found me overhead space, and immediately offered me a plate of macadamia nuts and an orange juice. There were only three passengers on board today, and with three F/As, the service was more than pleasant. Door closed at 7:08pm – late due to connecting passengers – maybe my bags too. Well just some a/c notes – HL7482 Boeing 747-400 KE was heading to LA later than evening, and I spotted a KE Boeing 747-300 HL7469, as well a CX Airbus A340-300 B-HXF for the evening flight back to Hong Kong. (I was originally booked on this flight, but later decided to book OZ and got more UA miles, since I was all set for EXP this year). We pushed back a few minutes later, and then headed towards R/W33L. We took off at 7:24pm, and our flight time was an hour and twenty-seven minutes and we climbed to 29,000 feet. It was quite a choppy flight this evening, but F/As continue to serve us. Hot towel started the meal service, and then more macadamia nuts and Dom Perignon for me. There was no linen service and everything was served on a tray. For the light meal, the choices were Western – salad, beef tenderloin with black pepper and port wine sauce, marquise potatoes, and fry vegetables, or Korean – Bibimbap with two kinds of pickles – one spicy and one non-spicy, as well steamed rice, hot pepper sauce, a pack of sesame oil, and a bowl of radish and beef soup – OZ had bean sprout soup and kimchi… anyway, no wine list because KE recollected their menus and wine lists prior to arrival. Descent began at 8:27pm, and we landed on a very quiet KIX at 8:51pm. R/W24 specifically was used today. We parked at Bay 10 a few minutes later – I spotted a Qatar Airways A330-200 A7-ACE while waiting for the shuttle to the INS/Custom area. The only bad thing at the end was that the KE F/As did not block off the J passengers like CX or SQ. Even OZ blocked off the Y passengers after both of us in F were deplaned. Well this flight was mostly Japanese, as judged by really long Japanese citizens lines, and the short foreign passport lines. Bags came out at 9:15pm and for those US airlines, Asian airlines make sure their priority bags came out first, and my first class bags came out first – two suitcases side by side, and same as my F neighbor at Row 2. Her bag came after mine. Good job, KE!

Well in general, both Korean Airlines did a good job but I am still leaning towards Asiana a bit, but since KE is in the midst of coming out with a brand new F product, this competition may be played differently soon.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Smile Tg 774 Kix-lax F/cl

August 21, 2005
TG 774 KIX-LAX Lv1615 Arr1040 Boeing 747-400 HS-TGR 744 Old Premium Class products
Photo Link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5bsMu

Well before discussing my Thai flight, I spent the morning at the wonderful Skyview Observatory, which is located next to Runway 24/06, and next time, when you take a flight out of KIX and see a building with tons of people on top, they are plane-spotters and they do exist. Well the shuttle will pick you up at Bus Stop Number 1 of the arrival level, and then it will bring you to the observatory. For the return, it will drop you off at Bus Stop Number 12 of the departure level. If you stay at the Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport, like I do, there is a stop next to the Aeroplaza, which is located on the left hand side of the hotel. The trip will cost 100 Yen per way and please prepare small change, and you pay as you board – no need to buy extra ticket. There is no admission right now, and you can access all the shops, observatory, and restaurants. The main attraction is the open air observation deck at level four and five. Unfortunately, it was really rainy the day I was there and could not spend much time out there and I cannot take any picture without risking my new camera. But I manage to see the AF B773ER, MH 772ER, and SQ 772ER in a row… for Boeing 777 fans, you will be smiling, and tons of photographers in raincoat with their lenses also covered in various rain gear rushed out when they see the plane. Yes there is a departure and arrival board, but all in Japanese, but you can guess the airlines by reading its flight number. There is also a restaurant, who serves airline style meals. Even as an airline fan, I cannot justify paying 1000 Yen for an airline-style meal, but I am tempted to buy the mini airline utensil set, if I have the space. However, if you are a Braniff or Ansett Australia fan, you can see their trolleys and posters. If you have time at KIX next time especially plane-spotters, I recommend spending a night at Hotel Nikko Kansai and spending a day at the Skyview Observatory. The opening hours are 8am to 10pm on summer months, and 8am to 8pm on winter months.

Well back to TG, I arrived early at the airport since the rain really cuts my stay at the observatory a bit short, and there was already a line at the baggage X-ray line. There was no wait at the first class desk, and the friendly agent immediately issued my boarding pass 1A, and showed me directions to the Royal Orchid Lounge. The flight seemed pretty full with half from BKK and half from KIX – no wonder TG is keeping the BKK-KIX-LAX routing. Considered the old first class cabin, it was pretty full with only five empty seats. On an Airbus A340-600, TG will be sold out full in F. I guess it is a Sunday too. Royal Orchid Lounge is located across from Gate 40, and is a really small, but typically lounge at Japan. There is a small first class section at the end, but decide to stay at the J class section. There is an attendant taking our drink and food orders – I had an ice tea and then decided to wonder around the much airy and open gate areas, and there are lots of planes to look at. The lounge is just so small, and I honestly think that all the Star Alliance lounges should have one large lounge for all its passengers, instead of having these small lounges that lack spaces for any facilities. Anyway, the inbound aircraft arrived KIX at 3:19pm, which was a bit behind schedule. Honestly, one-hour turnaround was pretty tight in the first place, and for our flight, it took an hour and fifteen minutes before the door was closed again.

For planes spotting, I did not jog down too many registration numbers since it was raining at KIX. Well two JAL Boeing 747-400s in classic livery were sitting side by side at gate 43 and 45 – JA8086 heading to LAX, and JA8079 heading to HNL – an additional charter flight. The excitement was the arrival of Qatar Airways’ A330-200 A7-ACA, and later a Boeing 767-300ER by JAL in the new livery JA611J parked next door to us. Well there were two separate lines for boarding – one for Bangkok transit, and one for Osaka departure, and of course F and J passengers were first invited. Some of the BKK inbound passengers were really anxious, and folks, please calm down. Honestly squeezing and cutting lines would not speed up the departure time, except causing congestions and delaying. Also the first passenger boarding will always be the first to be selected for random screening. Boarding began at 4:08pm at gate 41 and Bay 29, and the old Thai F cabin was not impressive, but I have both 1A and B to myself, which make the flight a bit more comfortable. The seats have purple upholstery and the seats are still the first generation F seats, but at least there were electronic controls. Amenity kits by Hermes, as well as headsets, were already placed at the seat console and seat pocket. The main difference between TG and other airlines so far in this trip was that the F/As were rushing at all times, and passengers were not addressed by their last names. I feel that why TG is a bit behind the premium airlines’ game is because of these little gestures. The fancy pajamas and amenity kits and meals were all there (except the seats, but at least some planes have the suites), but the little difference is marked by these “name” issues and rushing through meals, and not responding when I said thank you. The service was still better than your American or United first flights, but Thai has some works to do before reaching the top ranking F standard. Pre-takeoff beverage of champagne, orange juice, iced oolong tea, and water was offered, and then we were offered two pajamas to pick from – one is the full PJ set, and the other one is a more Japanese-kimono style – only top (no pants). And then menus were given to each of us quickly – mine was basically thrown at the seat console. Everything was so hush hush and rough… I thought it was because of the late arrival from BKK, but even through the meal, this lady F/A really tried to finish everything quickly. Fortunately, the purser and the other male F/A were very friendly and polite. Menus no longer had the cheap grey polyester cover, but a more Thai-oriented purple bamboo pouch design. Unfortunately I only get the keep the inside wine list and menu, but you can see the menu pouch on these pictures. We pushed back at 4:38pm and our plane was the only one heading for the takeoff line. For the next five minutes, this lady insisted on taking our entrée orders – I honestly think that you could do it after takeoff. Well the skyview observatory was once again packed with people – I guess our plane was pretty special out of the lines of ANA and JAL planes. We took off from Runway 24 at 4:49pm, and flying time was rather long ten hours and twenty-five minutes. Routing was the typically South of Tokyo and then straight across the Pacific. We stayed at 33,000 feet for a while before climbing to 35,000 feet for the rest of the flight. Since there is no PTV, I cannot follow any Air show.

Seat belt sign was turned off at 5:03pm, and the dinner service started shortly after. I think the food was really high quality and there were three appetizer courses in a row, followed by soup, entrée, cheese/fruit, and dessert. Here is the wine list and menu transcript:

Wine List
White Wines
Meursault Faiveley 2000
Riesling Hugel Jubilee 2001
Schlossberg Riesling Blanck 2001

Red Wine
Corton Rognet Grand Cru Chevalier 2000
Chateau du Val d’Or St. Emilion Grand Cru 2001

Champagne
Dom Perignon Vintage 1996
La Grande Dame 1995

Menu – TG774 FEB/MAY/AUG/NOV (if you are flying on February, May, August, and November, here is your menu)

First Serving
Hot Savories
Today’s selection includes mostly fried food – almond-coasted shrimp balls, deep fried scallops, and meat ball & leek skewers

First Course
Oscietra Caviar with Garnitures
Hors d’Oeuvre
Well, another example of rushing – we were all first presented with an appetizer plate featuring two cocktail shrimps in tomato sauce, a crab leg sushi, and two slices of chicken rolls, but then the caviar trolley was also rolling down the aisle, so we had two plates of food at the same time. With a long flight like our, I am sure there was no need to rush – why not served it course by course.

Tomato Soup
A nice bowl of soup with some crunchy croutons on top

Main Course
Grilled Salmon Teriyaki
Steamed Japanese Rice Sauteed Assorted Mushroom
Or
Broiled Tournedos Australian Beef Steak with Demi-Glace Sauce Vegetables
Or
Roast Duck in Red Curry Thai Style
Sauteed Thai Hom Mali Rice, Mixed Vegetables
I had the salmon, which was okay, but the teriyaki sauce was a bit strong for my liking.

Assorted breads, crackers, butter
Breads include garlic bread (really thick kinds), soft roll, and poppyseed rolls

Cheese Tray/Basket of Fresh Fruits
Cheese selection includes Stilton, Camembert and Blue, accompanied by carrot and celery sticks, crackers, and radish crown, and fruit selection includes apple, bananas, grapes, and kiwi.

Dessert
Orange Sorbet
Tea, Coffee, Esperesso, Cappucino
Dessert was unimpressive, and I hope for a better slice of cake or pie.

Well after meal, there was another round of hot towels, and the F/As passed out Evian water bottles, and set up a beverage station in the middle console in front of the middle seats at Row 4, as long as some nuts type snacks. Then the lady took our breakfast entrée order and then already collecting the menus. If this is not rush, what is? For entertainment, no handheld units were offered to anyone, but various short subjects were shown including an episode of Friends and Temple of the Tiger, followed by HitchHikers’ Guide to the Galaxy, and then a little bit of Airshow, and then they tried to show another movie, “XXX State of the Union.” However the movie was cut after ten minutes of showing. I think one passenger called back the F/A, but after five more minutes, he decided this movie was really bad. I honestly think that the handheld DVD units should be offered. The complete lack of entertainment was really out of date. Another Thai promotion video and an episode of E-Life was shown during breakfast service. Lights were turned on at 1:30am NRT time /9:30am LA time. At exactly an hour and thirty minutes prior to arrival, an announcement was made and breakfast service began with hot towel, linen, set up, juices, and then fruit salad, breadbasket, and entrée. Here is the full transcript.

Second Serving
First Course
Fresh Fruit Salad
Really nice presentation – diced orange, melon, and apples served in an orange cup with cottage cheese and mint leaves

Main Course
Cheese and Mushroom Omelet, Veal Sausages
Hashed Browned Potatoes, Vegetables
Or
Vol-au-Vent filled with chicken a la Reine
Or
Noodle Soup with Chinese Roast Pork
Or
Soft Boiled Rice served with Garnitures
(Moo Phaen, Moo Young, Dried Shrimp Salad, Fried Sliced Chicken Sausages, Mixed Chinese Pickles)
I had the Vol-au-vent, which was quite nice – beautiful presentation, and the chicken tastes great – sides include two links of chicken sausages, string beans, carrots, and broccoli.

Assorted Breads, Danish Pastry, Butter, Jam
Tea, Coffee, Ovaltine
Croissants, white and wheat rolls were offered again.

After a round of tea/coffee and more hot towels, the F/As were preparing for landing. Descent began at 10:47am, and we land on R/W24R at 11:14am, and of course it took a while before we were parked at gate 121. We were parked between a LY Boeing 767-300ER 4X-EAJ, Air Tahiti Nui’s A340-300 F-OSUN, and Mexicana’s newly painted A320 XA-UDU. Well after deplaned, I headed straight to the immigration line, and there was no wait at all. Then the first class bags came out at 11:40am, which was pretty good for TBIT, and my F bags were the first to come out. For LAX, that is an achievement, and there was an agent assisting with F bags.

In general, it was a really good flight despite of older seats and lack of PTV. TG has some areas to work on, and since I paid a bargain price, I did not have any complaint. However, TG still needs to work on a few more issues before rising to the high standard set up by SQ, and in some ways, KE and OZ both score higher. I may fly this same flight again in October, and I will give an updated report then. Well nothing much will be changed but hopefully the F/As will be a bit better and less hurried.

Carfield
Old Aug 22, 2005, 7:58 pm

Smile Line of Duty

Amazing report, Carfield. But I'm a little worried about you -- in a little over 72 hours, you absorbed around 15,000 calories in food items, plus half a case of wine....pace yourself!
Old Aug 22, 2005, 8:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Nice report & a nice (but fast) trip carfield ^
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:15 pm
BON

Programs: UA 1K
Carfield, great report!
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:31 pm

Programs: United 2P
Nice report, especially useful to those considering jumping on the ex-CMB fares. ^
Old Aug 24, 2005, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Carfield as always.....great report! ^
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Still disappointed I cancelled a SQ F award ticket....your excellent reports and photos remind of that!
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Almost amazing reports Carfield! It looks like you've been having fun!

Keep the reports and the pics coming!!!

-Carl
Old Aug 26, 2005, 3:28 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
Still disappointed I cancelled a SQ F award ticket....
You did whaaat ?.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Afraid so Problems with waiting for visas etc....
Old Aug 26, 2005, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum
Carfield, great reports as always. One question though--why do you sometimes take three or four photos of each food/drink item? I'm just curious.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks for the kind comments! I have to stop myself from eating more food, and during my long stay at lounges, I actually ate only minimal and drank non-alcholic beverage... But it is hard to resist sometimes...

About the multiple pictures, it is a new camera and I am still not sure about various functions and just want to try a couple things especially I actually develop them... want to see if there is any noticable difference. I also worry that sometimes the pictures do not come out the way I want them... sorry for the multiple pictures.

Carfield
Old Sep 3, 2005, 9:28 pm

Programs: Shangri La GC Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold, EVA Gold, AMEX Centurion
Great report!

Outstanding report Carfield!

I feel sad that you experienced rushed service on TG. This has never happened to me fortunately, in all clases of their service. I have found them uniformly friendly, sincere and rather relaxed. I hope I never experience this rushed stuff - I wouldn't like that at all. It's very un-Thai!

The thing that terrifies me about premium long-haul is that I eat ridiculous amounts and sit there like a lump... I simply cannot resist the premium offerings and beverages and just consume... I have an *epic* trip from YYZ to BKK upcoming, NH going and SQ on the return, in F, and am excited to say the least. But I always have concerns about my waistline, which my girlfriend is going to notice

FF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.