Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-BKK in BA Club World 07/08/2005.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Frequent Flyer, Skywards
Thumbs up SYD-BKK in BA Club World 07/08/2005.

My partner and I had our late 9 year / early 10 year anniversary holiday in August, and decided to go to Thailand and visit BKK & HKT.
This is my first trip report, so any feedback is welcome.........here I go!

We were booked in WTP SYD-BKK v.v. and upon checking in at SYD, were delighted to learn we had been upgraded to Club World for the SYD-BKK sector. My partner was jumping up & down at check in, as he has never flown international J class before, and was very excited indeed! For me, it was a perfect oppurtunity to compare BA J class to SQ/VS/NZ/QF J class.

We were allocated seats 13 J & K on the lower deck. We did not use the QF Club Lounge before departure, but we really didn't care - too much plane spotting (love the SYD observation deck - well worth a look) and shopping.

Boarding commenced for BA 10 to BKK & LHR on time at 1435. Needless to say, my partner was keen as mustard to be first on board, which we were.
I do have to say I just adore the CW cabin, love the colours and seat configuration. And the seats - we LOVED them! However, I do agree with other reports that the seats are a little narrow, but I didn't care, as the bed was flat! (Still not a big fan of the beds with an angle, but VS doesn't fall into this category, and I have yet to try the new NZ J class which has been bought off VS)

We were shown to our seats, and then offered a selection of news papers and the CW amenity kit. Following this, we were offered a choice of champagne (French, yummy yummy!!!!!), orange juice or water. Needless to say sweeties, French was the order of the day!

Once all were on board, glasses were cleared away and the safety demo was done on the TV monitor (but really BA, the Landor colours are long gone, so I think it's time to update the video to reflect the new colours) and we then taxied to the runway and promptly took off (and had sublime views of SYD on departure)

Once the seat belt signs were turned off, drinks service began. I have read so many mixed reviews about BA CW, and very interested to see how the service would be on this flight.

I need not have worried! Judith and Melinda provided exceptional service to the lower CW cabin (about 3/4 full) and were offered a drink and nuts before the dinner service began. More French please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About 30 min later, dinner service started, and menu is as follows:

Starters:
Hot smoked salmon on an Asian vegetable salad
or
*Salad of sun-blushed tomatoes, Mozzarella cheese and basil

*Fresh seasonal salad served with vinaigrette

Main:
Pan-fried veal medallions served with broad beans in parsley cream,
Braised lamb shank with peas, grilled tomato, mashed potatoes and natural jus,
*Selected seafood in a red curry sauce with coconut rice and sugar snap peas,
Main course salad of grilled chicken with bow-tie pasta tossed with pesto, pine nuts, red onion, tomato and cucumber

Dessert:
Creme fraiche and marmalade tart

Selection of cheese

Tea/Coffee/Decaffinated Coffee or Tea/Selection of herbal teas-peppermint, blackcurrant, apple or camomile and honey

*Well Being selection

I had the salmon for starters, the veal for main course, skipped dessert and had cheese.

Food was gorgeous, service was attentive yet un-obtrusive, and took almost 3 hours to complete! My partner and I quaffed French all the way, and had a blast!

Just as were were flying over DRW, dinner service was completed, and we laid our beds out to get rest, or in my case, watch the airshow (I really didn't care for the movies on offer, and was happy as a pig in s%$# to watch the airshow!!!)

We found the bed very comfortable (and TOTALLY flat), with a lovely over-sized pillow and wool blanket. I can NEVER sleep on planes, so I just enjoyed relaxing with the bed stretched out!

Judith and Melinda were constantly coming around offering drinks, more food, and in general, providing the service one would expect in a premium cabin. I did also enjoy BA's "Raid The Larder" and nibbled on some chips, cookies and fruit about 2 hours after the dinner service.

Did I mention French Chanpagne? Our glasses were never empty, I think we demolished the planes supply of Heidsieck Monopole Brut!
Cheers sweetie!

Before we knew it, we were 80 min from BKK, and a snack was offered:

A selection of sandwiches
or
*Cream cheese and roast vegetables served in a granary bap

Sweets

Traditional victoria sponge cake (It rocked - was fab!)

The Wine list was comprehensive, and is as follows:

Champagne Cocktails:
Kir Royale
Buck's Fizz

Champagne:
Heidsieck Monoole Blue Top Brut Reserve Champagne (Like Mothers' Milk!)

White:
Penfolds Thomas Hyland Chardonnay 2003
Chateau Le Sartre 2003, Pessac-Leognan

Red:
Geoff Merrill Reserve Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon 1999
Brokenwood Harlequin Red Blend 2002
Chateau Villa Bel Air 1999, Graves

The bar was fully stocked as well with gin, aperitifs, vodka, burbon, scotch whiskey, Juices, soft drinks, water, port............and my favourite, (apart from French Champers), Drambuie!

With the food and drink was offered combined with the superb service, I was very impressed with BA (and I don't impress that easily!)

Once the snack service was completed, cabin was prepared for landing, and a beautiful landing by the captain finished off a perfect flight. Thank You BA!!!!!!!!!!!! ^

This report is to be continued, as we flew Nok Air BKK-HKT the next day in J, and back from HKT to BKK on 16 Aug, and BA CW BKK-SYD on 16 Aug. These reports to follow soon. If I thought the flight over was fab, all I will say is the BKK-SYD flight on BA 9 blew us away, especially as this was just after the BA strike at LHR......

Chikkas!

VH - RMM
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Monopole Blue in CW now? Ewwwww....
Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Indeed.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
BA's current champagne offering:

Yep, nothing to see here....move on

Shame to see catering falling yet further. I'm no champagne connoisseur but found the Monopole a little acidic a few weeks back
Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I don't understand....they were serving Charles Heidseick transatlantic in July....or is the inclusion of Monopole because it's locally sourced in SYD?
Old Aug 18, 2005, 6:21 pm

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
Congrats on the Upgrade

Went to BKK and HKT last year (and BKK again this year). Hope that you enjoyed your anniversary holiday.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the report! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.