Search

Cathay HKG-PEK in Business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:46 pm
das
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Cathay HKG-PEK in Business

Given all the rave reviews of Cathay on FT, I was thrilled to see that upgrading my Y ticket on HKG-PEK to Business was only ~$100 US, so I jumped at the chance to sample CX’s product.

Most HKG-PEK service is on Dragonair or Air China, but depending on day of week, Cathay has 1 or 2 flights on its own metal, so I timed my plans around Cathay’s 5:50pm flight, and made sure to arrive at the airport early to sample their lounge.

I arrived at the Airport Express station around 2:45pm, but since I had a paper ticket waiting at the airport, I could not check in until I had picked up the ticket, but the ticket pickup and check-in at the airport was quick enough. (Would be great if CX would offer e-tickets on this route.)

I then proceeded to the Pier, because it was closer to my gate than the Wing and I didn’t want to get too lost. The lounge was large, had many different sections, and wireless access throughout. I had some snacks from the buffet and ordered some noodles (they give you a buzzer to pick them up). I thought the service in the lounge was poor – I sat at a table with dirty dishes from the previous guest, and although waitresses kept passing by, they weren’t removed til I was done. I then spent some time at the Long Bar, where in addition to a full selection of alcohol, they have fresh squeezed juices like orange and grapefruit.

Boarding did not begin until about 20 minutes before departure, and our A330 was only about 75% full up front – not sure about Economy. Obviously this plane was a regional 2-class configuration, 2-2-2, the seats seemed to have similar pitch and recline to Virgin Premium Economy, but were a bit wider, with large pull out TVs (which I thought were somewhat obstructive and awkward). Pre departure drinks were offered from a tray (Cathay delight, OJ, water,champagne), and the F/A also brought me a bottle of sparkling water. Menus were distributed (nicely bound with string, along with a separate wine list); here was today’s service:

Dinner

Salad
Seasonal salad served with raspberry vinaigrette dressing

Appetizer
Parma Ham with Baby Yellow Capsicum stuffed with Roasted Tomato Relish

Main Courses

Steamed Seabass Fillet with Wood Fungus and Preserved Vegetables, Egg Fried Rice with Spring Onion, Pak Choy and Mushroom

Grilled Beef with Onion and Mustard Sauce, Kipler Potatoes, Carrot and Parsnip Mash

Braised E-fu Noodle with Shui Gaw

Cheese Plate or Ice Cream

Assorted Bread and Rolls

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

Prior to dinner, ramekins of cashews were offered with beverages. Beverages were in clear blue glasses, served from a trolley. The fresh squeezed orange juice was fantastic! Refills on the nuts and beverages were offered.

The appetizer and salad were nicely presented, and the appetizer also included some stuffed mushrooms (perhaps because the portion of yellow capsicum was small). The mains were displayed for selection, which I thought was really classy, but the presentation of the mains was somewhat disappointing (in a casserole dish, instead of plated) – but now that I think about it, this seems to be the norm.
I had the seabass which was tasty – it’s just the presentation made it seem very similar to the Y meal I had on Virgin the day before. To accompany, I had an excellent French burgundy (Mercurey Domaine Louis Max 2001).

Dessert was presented from a trolley, with a selection of aperitifs and hot beverages. I selected the cheese plate – a selection of cheeses was artfully presented with dried fruit, and as much as I like Haagen Dazes, I can buy a tub of their ice cream at 7-11, and I was too full to ask for the ice cream as well.  The pralines never appeared.

Overall, I think CX’s regional Business Class product is excellent, and think I’d really be spoiled with such good food and drink on a long haul flight. While the service was attentive and functional, it didn’t seem particularly warm and friendly. That said, I’d pay the extra $100 in a heartbeat to upgrade to Business on this route, it’s unfortunate that Cathay’s frequency is so limited in this market.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by das
Overall, I think CX’s regional Business Class product is excellent, and think I’d really be spoiled with such good food and drink on a long haul flight.
Glad you enjoyed CX RBC! Yes you will even be impressed with CX's long haul J meals once you've sampled them. But do avoid LAX as CX generally has poor catering from that station. Other than LAX, long haul J meals onboard are superb particularly ex-YVR, SFO, LHR, and of course HKG.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 1:56 pm

I recently took a LAX-HKG flight in F and the food was better than any other flight I have taken from HKG or YVR....
Old Aug 15, 2005, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
What a delightful little report, CX is a great airline ^ ^ ^
Old Aug 16, 2005, 3:18 am

Programs: Meh
I got the same flight route from HKG to PEK last week, and must say CX are excellent. Pity about the IFE though, it was not their newest version.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In terms of IFE, SQ is miles ahead of CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.