Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:12 am
Original Poster

My UK/Ireland trip on QF/BA/EI

3rd July, MEL-LHR via SIN
QF 9, seat 39K
Scheduled departure (MEL) - 1530
Actual departure (MEL) - 1537
Aircraft - B747-400

Check in for this flight was swift. I was glad to avoid the long queues at the Y check in counters as a QF PS. However the check in agent, although efficient, was extremely unfriendly. I was taken aback as it was a Business Class counter I was using and expected a minimum standard of service (ie not met by a snarl everytime I ask a question).

The boarding process was nice and painless, but partly because I was absorbed in a new book I was reading to kill time. However I observed that pax generally boarded according to their seat numbers, thus not creating some sort of rugby scrum that characterises boarding for some of the flights I've been on in the past.

The onboard service was excellent. I think I've flown enough to declare that the cabin crew on QF9 that day were simply exemplary, on both the MEL-SIN and SIN-LHR sectors they were faultless. I was greeted by name as I boarded the aircraft even though I was a Y pax.

Shortly after take off, dinner was served:

Green Leaf Salad with Herb Vinaigrette

Choice of
Chicken Piccata with Rich Tomato Sauce

Or
Braised Beef in Red Wine with Roast Potatoes

Cheese and Crackers

Coffee Tea

Magnum Ice Cream

I had the beef option. It was ok for an airline meal. QF cuisine in Y has always been ok - not very exciting but not bad either. I had a bottle of Shiraz Cab Sauvignon Merlot from Wirra Wirra - it was delicious.

Shortly before landing in Singapore, a refreshment was served:

Stir Fried Noddles with Vegetables and Oyster Sauce

Seasonal Melon in Ginger Syrup

Coffee Tea

The noodles were yummy. However the fruit tasted strange, as if someone poured cough syrup over it.

We stopped in SIN for about 2 hours. However we only had an hour in the airport as we were given a 'final call' to the gate an hour before departure, which I think is ridiculously early. The gate security staff wore a very stern expression on their faces and required everyone to take off their jackets. Boarding was done very smoothly, typical of SATS.

Scheduled departure (SIN) - 2255
Actual departure (SIN) - 2344

The aircraft was delayed due to issues at the terminal. Apparently someone left their belongings at the gate lounge. There were also other things affecting the late departure however they weren't clearly explained.

Supper was served shortly after take off:

Spicy Potato Salad with Chicken

Choice of
Fish with Tomato and Tamarind Sauce

Or
Eggplant and Basil Ravioli with Blue Cheese Sauce

Passionfruit custard

Coffee Tea

I have to announce at this stage that I had an extremely cute boi serving me! He was a delight to have on the flight. He went beyond his call of duty when he had to calm down this old lady in front of me who had a fear of flying, by ensuring she got a liberal supply of water and he even held her hand to assure her it was ok at one stage. So he's not only eye candy he's a sweetie too - damn I forgot to ask for his number! :P

The only downside of the flight was the IFE. Choices were rather limited and there was no AVOD. Given that Kangaroo route flights are so popular and always packed to the brim, not to mention extremely some of the longest in the industry, QF could have prioritised its Kangaroo route jets with AVOD and a wider range of programmes ahead of their 333 services which serve shorter routes. I got rather bored on the SIN-LHR sector waiting for the IFE to re run itself as I've finished reading the book in my carry-on as well as the inflight mag.

About 90 minutes before landing breakfast was served:

Choice of Continental Breakfast
Orange Juice
Cereal
Raisin Brioche
Fresh Fruit Platter

or Hot Breakfast
Orange Juice
Fresh Fruit Salad
Raisin Brioche
Bacon and Potato Egg Cake with Mushroom Ragout

Coffee Tea

The continental breakfast 'ran out' unusually quickly. It wasn't a problem for me as I wanted the hot breakfast anyway but I'm sure some of the pax weren't happy. I had a feeling they failed to load the continental breakfast properly.

The flight landed earlier than scheduled. Take offs and landings at all points of the flight were very smooth. Kudos to the pilots!

Reports of other flights to come when I have time...

Last edited by Keith009; Jul 14, 2005 at 9:15 am
Old Jul 15, 2005, 6:56 am
Original Poster

13th July, LHR-EDI
BA1444, seat 31F
Scheduled departure - 1250
Actual departure - 1336
Aircraft - B757-200

Both the OLCI and self-service check in options failed on me. Hence I had to queue up at the domestic check in counters at LHR. There were only 3 counters staffed, managing a massive queue. Waited in line for approximately 20 minutes. Check in chick was friendly but appear to be inexperienced. I tried to ask for a seat in front as I didn't wanna be last out of the plane but was told they were all taken. When I questioned as to why I could not use both OLCI and self-service check in, I was told that "it happens sometimes." Can someone here explain under what circumstances OLCI and self-service check in would fail?

Departure was heavily delayed, as is always the case when flying out of LHR. The cabin crew were all pretty friendly. Was served the usual all day deli snack box which was pretty uninspiring but probably acceptable for such a short flight. There was however a full bar service.

Landed at EDI at approx 1435. Actual flying time was much shorter than the advertised flying time of 1hr 20mins. I suppose they factor in the delays we'd encounter for a LHR departure. All in all a pleasant flight on BA.

More to come...[next: EI to DUB]
Old Jul 16, 2005, 7:52 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Nice trip report for a long-haul economy class. I know what you mean about the QF check-in agents at MEL, there was this absolutely vile lady one time who was doing the check-in on behalf of Vietnam Airlines and I swear she was the grumpiest agent I ever saw with a frown on her face that never disappeared.

I think they always make the final call really early so it wouldn't have been a problem if you strolled up to the gate in SIN half an hour before departure instead of an hour. I boarded my flight only ten minutes before departure but that was on SQ.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:49 am
Original Poster

18th July, EDI-DUB
EI255, seat 24A
Scheduled departure - 1450
Actual departure - 1502
Aircraft - A321

Not much to report for this extremely short flight (flying time of approx 45 minutes), so I'll just provide a brief summary:

Check-in : Excruciatingly slow. Stood in line for more than 30 minutes. Check in was performed by Servisair agents. The one who checked me in was rather friendly and quick. I suspect that the high volume of passengers for this short flight is from ppl getting away from the Golf, as evidenced by the unusually high number of golf sets sighted in the vicinity of the check in desks and the baggage belt at DUB. I was thankful not to be flying BA as the BA line stretched all the way to arrivals hall.

Boarding : Generally organised, no rugby scrum.

Onboard service : Met several amiable EI cabin crew members upon entering the aircraft. The inflight menu prices were a rip-off. Crew was generally friendly. Can't complain on such a short flight. The inflight announcements were however rather unprofessional - the announcer faltered when explaining the safety features on the flight; I also haven't experienced such stern announcements, with detailed descriptions of punishments meted out to possible offences committed onboard heavily emphasised.

In summation it was a rather painless flight on EI, in contrast to the horror stories I read about EI services.

Next to come....[BA to LGW and HKG] - yea I have to do the dreaded LGW-LHR transfer
Old Jul 30, 2005, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

22nd July, DUB-LGW
BA8083, seat 6F
Scheduled departure - 1240
Actual departure - 1312
Aircraft - B737-500

I arrived at DUB ridiculously early, like 3 hours b4 departure as I did not know how long the journey to the airport would take and subsequently gave too much time to it. Check-in agents were nowhere to be seen and the BA customer service desk advised that check-in only opens 2hrs b4 departure.

On the contrary check-in opened 2.5 hrs b4 departure. I was the 5th to be checked in as I got a Seq 005 on my boarding pass - my lowest seq number yet! Aviance check-in agent was very friendly. I also checked in for my connecting flight to HKG from LHR however he was unable to change my seat to an aisle seat despite me having a seq 016 on that flight. He told me to check with the connections centre at LGW, and if not - when checking in my bags at LHR.

I arrived at the gate an hour b4 departure time as there was not much to do at DUB. 30 mins b4 departure time, the aircraft was nowhere to be seen. The gate agents then announced that boarding, and consequently departure, would be delayed as the incoming aircraft is late. Boarding was called at 1240.

I was greeted by name when boarding, a nice touch given that this was a short flight. There was plenty of legroom for my seat - I thought that somehow I was unknowingly upgraded to business class! Frankly, I think BA has much better Y seats on their domestic/euro flights than their long haul international flights. It was also a rather empty flight, I noticed that most people were seated in either a window or aisle seat. I think everyone preferred to land in LHR as I tried to change to a BA codeshare on EI but all flights were full.

Both the ISM and the captain apologized for the late departure. We taxied to the runway for take off, however we had to queue up behind 2 EI aircraft. Immediately after the seat belt signs were switched off as the a/c levelled out, cabin service commenced. I was served the usual all day deli box. It was better than the box I was given on the LHR-EDI flight as it had a delicious strawberry triffle. It was so yummy that I actually asked for seconds. I was given not one but 2 extra all day deli boxes (yeap in their entireties). Full bar service on this flight. Cabin crew was really friendly, the chick that served me made small talk with passengers. I guess they were rather relaxed given that it was not a full flight.

Landing was interesting. Approach was cancelled as the engines were powerred up again and the a/c increased altitude. The captain explained that it was because the a/c that landed b4 us was slow in clearing the runway. We landed just 15 mins behind schedule, as once again, the actual flight time proved to be much shorter than the advertised one.

more to come...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.