Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-NRT-SIN in NW J

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2005, 1:47 am
Original Poster

LAX-NRT-SIN in NW J

Greetings everyone from FlyerTalk! This is my first-ever trip report, so hope you guys like it. I only focused on areas of importance to me.

LAX-NRT-SIN on Northwest WBC

I am a college student so I don't fly regularly, perhaps about 2-3 international roundtrips per year. I am spoiled for choice flying between LAX and SIN (where I’m from), with so many airlines choosing to operate this route - NW, SQ, UA, JL, BR, MH and so forth. For various reasons (elite status, fares, comfort, service etc), I've made the decision to restrict myself to flying NW and SQ exclusively. My friends think I’m crazy to be mentioning NW and SQ in the same breath. In fact, NW economy fares (B) are only about S$100+ cheaper than SQ Y. So I guess, the only incentive for flying NW is the relatively low miles to upgrade (25,000 miles one-way, but they have since changed that to 30,000). I know my schedule of classes way in advance, which allows me to make flight reservations early and confirm that elusive upgrade. It's slightly easier to upgrade on SQ, but they demand a whopping 45,000 miles one-way. Knowing SQ, it's only a matter of time before they change it to 50,000.

Before I begin, I'd also like to mention that I have NEVER paid for a business class ticket in my life. As a student, I appreciate the opportunities to travel regardless of cabin class. I do not have the right to spend 3-4 times the price of an economy ticket just for a single flight, and I'm glad I never have. Lately however, I have been fortunate enough to have miles to burn on my Dad's behalf (thanks Dad) and have even experienced both F and C on SQ - and thoroughly enjoyed both. SQ F was simply incredible, and it made me expect so much the second time when I flew in Raffles - which was impressive but not outstanding. SQ can do a bit more to improve their business class, especially with so many passengers paying the full-fare. What an exciting time when the A380 arrives! But I digress.. it’s back to the report..

NW 1 LAX-NRT, 1.15pm. Boeing 747-200. Seat 86K

The day couldn’t have started out any worse. Last minute packing caused me to reach LAX at 12.20pm, less than an hour before departure. Upon arrival I learned that the flight was departing early today, making me even more worried. I had to rush to check-in, check baggage, and clear security myself. I barely made it to gate 28 on time, at 12.50pm. I think I was one of the last passengers to board. No chance to use the lounge this time, not that it mattered much. I just considered myself lucky that my pre-assigned seats hadn’t been given to someone else. On boarding, I was greeted by a friendly FA who directed me to my seat. Up the 742’s spiral staircase I went, only to find someone already sitting in my beloved 86K. It turns out, he was supposed to sit in 86A, but the idiot in 85A had “accidentally” moved back a row to 86A. The only remaining seat was 85A, which I reluctantly took, but not without a quick glare at Mr. 86A, who had caused all this confusion in the first place. A glass of champagne helped to calm me down a little.

A word about NW and their aging fleet. They have been deploying the 742 on the NRT-LAX route for more than a year now, prior to that, it was a 744 with classic WBC. Sorry 742 fans, but in this day and age, 742s should either be scrapped or used as cargo aircraft. There is so much hype about the 742 upper deck, but it's not that fantastic. This is my fourth time on the 742 and I'm wishing they get rid of this plane forever. I absolutely hate aging equipment. Ok, so there is a wide seat with 72" pitch. The first time I tried it I marveled at the amount of comfort and space. The seat is similar to a ‘lazyboy’ - comfortable in the upright position, and reclines to about 170 degrees for easy sleeping. Service is also slightly better, with 1 FA serving the 12 passengers on the upper deck. But that does not change the fact that I am in an aircraft perhaps even older than myself (I'm 22). When I walk around in the 742 WBC cabin, I feel like I'm back in the late 80s. Maybe I'm exaggerating but the truth remains – NW has not bothered to maintain/refurbish the interior of the 742s. Also, contrary to other reviews, I found the upper deck of the 742 to be noisy. I challenge anyone who thinks otherwise to do as follows: start from the nose of the plane, walk slowly towards the spiral staircase and then ascend to the upper deck. Compare the noise level. It doesn’t take an idiot to realize that the nose is quieter. For this reason, when traveling on a 742, I recommend Row 1 downstairs. There is actually more legroom in Row 1, with 4 windows of space (5 if you’re reclined). The only drawback is the reduced recline of the seat compared to those upstairs, but it’s hardly noticeable.

Moving on to the flight itself. The golden rule when flying NW: NEVER EXPECT TOO MUCH. I always tell myself that I should be feel blessed when I’m not sitting in coach. This is particularly true for NW, because all their 747s are with old Economy class seating (no personal IFE). Am I the only person who thinks watching movies from an overhead projector should be obsolete? I remember the good old days, struggling to get a good view of the screen especially if I were seated near the tail-end of the plane. Well, I can relive that moment anytime I want by flying coach on NW!

Today’s menu was as follows:

To begin
Cocktail or beverage of choice served with canapés and mixed nuts

Western Style Dinner

Appetizer Salad
Mixed greens with garnish of the day
Choice of dressing

Main Course
Been Tenderloin
Topped with fresh leek, tomato and Asiago crust, toasted red potatoes and baby carrots

-Or-

Roasted Chicken Breast
On mushroom ragout with au gratin potatoes and asparagus spears

-Or-

Jamaican Spiced Hot Smoked Salmon
Topped with orange butter on a bed of wild rice

Japanese Style Dinner
Sakizuke
Takiawase
Kobachi
Soba
Osuimono
Main Meal: Teriyaki Chicken

Both the Western and Japanese Style Dinners are accompanied by:

Assorted Breads

Dessert A La Carte

Fresh Fruit
Selection of cheese offered with Port wine
Ice cream by Ben & Jerry’s
Japanese Style Dissert
Gourmet Biscotti
Premium Coffee or Tea
Liqueurs

(I have pictures of the meals, will upload soon)

I chose the beef, and it was surprisingly good, cooked rare just the way I like it. I didn’t take advantage of the wine selection because I had a slight headache, so I opted instead for simple diet coke and water. The dessert was satisfying – I always have a mix of everything (cheese, fruit, and ice-cream) and finish it with a cup of tea/coffee. Cheers to NW for always having a decent dessert selection. In contrast, when I flew KLM to Europe last year, they were EXTREMELY stingy with their meal service. Cheese, fruit OR cake in business class?? Come on, even SQ economy does better. For that reason, KLM are really a class below NW in my opinion and are best avoided.

A minor complaint though. NW never serves fresh orange juice in WBC, and with pathetic KLM remembering such a small detail, that ought to change soon. Apart from that, catering on NW today was satisfactory as always. On a scale of 1-10, I always rate meals on NW to be a 7.5 – satisfying but not outstanding. Remember, I’ve only flown J in SQ and NW (KLM once), so for those who are more accustomed to fancy dining in business class, be it on CX, TG, MH or whatever, you might be sorely disappointed.

NARITA WORLDCLUB LOUNGE

For the first time, I headed upstairs to the new Worldclub lounge in Narita airport. Pretty impressed with the spaciousness and cleanliness of the lounge, although it is obviously more popular amongst the travelers. As always, only drinks and various tidbits offered, something that needs to be improved. Also, I’m still waiting for the day NW offers free internet access to its premium customers.

NW 5 NRT-SIN, 6.50pm. Airbus 330-200. Seat 1A

NW used to deploy the DC-10 and sometimes the 742 on NRT-SIN, which thankfully, have made way for the new 332. I must mention though, when I flew home last December, NW switched the aircraft to a 742 at the last minute. Needless to say, I was VERY annoyed. Lucky I wasn't sitting in Economy, imagine how frustrating it would’ve been to expect personal IFE on a 7-hour flight and end up with nothing. NW would not compensate for such a lousy reason, either.

The new Airbuses have the on-demand audio and video for all classes. I find it amusing that so many people are impressed with the new interactive trivia game. I flew on MH 3 years ago and they had this exact game on their 744. So the IFE isn’t exactly cutting-edge on NW. The selection of movies and games is adequate (almost promising) but incomparable to the likes of SQ and CX. In essence, the only major improvement of the new IFE is the on-demand feature and the ‘jukebox’ music selection. Apart from that, it really needs to be upgraded to stay competitive.

I didn’t bother keeping the menu today, partly because it was plain disappointing. On my last 2 encounters traveling this route, I had a proper dinner meal service. Today it seemed rush, with salad and main served at the same time (never experienced that before on NW). The flight time was slightly reduced because of tailwinds, and the Captain estimated it to be approximately 6 hours 22 minutes. Still, it was no excuse for such a poor dinner service, with no cheese or ice-cream served either. For the first time, I was left disappointed by the meal service on NW. As mentioned, I don’t expect too much, but they should at least be consistent with the previous trips I had flown on.

The redeeming factor on this flight was, of course, the seats. Seated in the bulkhead 1A, there seems to be less space but this is proven incorrect when all the seats are reclined. It is easier to step over the passenger beside you when seated in Row 1. Finally, a decent 10” screen to watch movies. A very nice massage feature makes sitting comfortable in the upright position. A lie-flat seat that is a vast improvement over classic WBC – I usually adjust it to a more familiar cradle position and sleep the hours away. Finally, power ports for the laptop so there’s no need to worry about re-charging batteries. What more can you ask for?

The plane arrived in SIN at approximately 12.35am, 45 minutes ahead of schedule. For the amount of turbulence that I had experienced, I would have preferred a slightly longer route. Nevertheless, I was glad to be home. Baggage was out quickly enough, so I guess the priority handling did have some effect. I was one of the first to leave the arrival hall and get a taxi. I finally reached home at about 1.15pm, earlier than expected. Home sweet home!!

Hope you guys enjoyed the report.

Last edited by Jaffar; Jun 7, 2005 at 5:33 am
Old Jun 7, 2005, 5:41 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Sounds like you're a veteran at this. Thanks for the post. I flew WBC about once a year in college and in grad school. However, I haven't flown with the new service and the new seats. If you look hard enough, you may find WBC consolidator fares that are priced reasonably close to B-fares.

- Pat
Old Jun 7, 2005, 7:54 am
azj

You are exagerating regarding the 742... they have all received cabin refurbishment in the last several years. Not to mention some of them are really not as old as you think. The overhead bins, lavs, sidewalls etc... have all been refurbished. There are 5 742s in rotatin right now serving NRT-LAX/GUM/SPN/HNL. A fleet replacement program takes time and these routes will be affected eventually with newer a/c.

Sounds like you had a good trip and only minor details were worth complaining about. For not paying full fare J class, looks like you got a pretty good deal.

AZJ
Old Jun 7, 2005, 9:12 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by azj
Sounds like you had a good trip and only minor details were worth complaining about. For not paying full fare J class, looks like you got a pretty good deal.
Yeah, i think your post comes across a bit spoiled as well (OP.)

Sure, NW isn't a 5 star restaurant with the best seats in the sky, but as the OP admitted it's alot easier to get into C class than it is with SQ.

I will agree though that the NRT-SIN meals are pretty stingy and the service definitely seems rushed alot of the time. Of course, last time I flew I had NW's famous "oldest flight attendant" doing the VERY SLOW yet somehow rushed feeling service.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Yeah, i think your post comes across a bit spoiled as well (OP.)
I'm confused - how was I spoiled in my report? If it's about the 742, I agree I am slightly biased (read: maybe I'm exaggerating) but bear in mind that the 744 flew this route in the past, so it is a slight downgrade on NW's part.

azj - I don't dispute refurbishments of the 742, but I've flown it enough times lately and I question the quality/quantity of work done. On this flight, I took a very good look around. The sidewalls, the window shades, the side storage boxes, the lavs - no way had they been refurbished (can't say about overhead bins since I didn't have them). Even my seat partner, a WP Plat, mentioned that the 742 cabin was in serious need of a makeover. Look at it this way - when you step off a 742 and enter a 330, the difference is truly remarkable. =)
Old Jun 7, 2005, 10:13 am
azj

I've flown the 742 as recently as last March and the interiors were definitely not shabby. I was on the main deck in coach on two different 742s NRT-HKG-NRT and both were in good shape. It was a far cry from what you describe and I find it hard to believe that in a years time, their tiny 742 fleet can become so worn out. There may not be personal IFE in Y, but UA doesn't offer this on their 744s either. NWA is not the only airline across the Pacific without personal IFE.

I have also flown the 333 twice in WBC and yes, those are truely amazing and that is the future of the NWA international product. Even SQ or CX cannot roll out a new product overnight.

I just find it interesting that you intentionally choose NWA, but then nitpick and complain about what they have to offer. If it bothers you so much, why is NWA your carrier of choice? Why not just stricly fly SQ, CX, MH or the other asian can do no wrong carriers? Oh yea... 'cause of the free upgrades.

AZJ
Old Jun 7, 2005, 10:53 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
Are most of the NW Intra-Asia flights now on a330s? Do they stay in Asia or make their way to the US as well?
Old Jun 7, 2005, 10:54 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Jaffar
I'm confused - how was I spoiled in my report? If it's about the 742, I agree I am slightly biased (read: maybe I'm exaggerating) but bear in mind that the 744 flew this route in the past, so it is a slight downgrade on NW's part.
Well, you said several times how OLD things were, yet pointed out lots of positives like the extra leg room and the fact the seats were very sleepable.

Personally, I'd have been thrilled to have a flight like that at 21!
Old Jun 7, 2005, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
Are most of the NW Intra-Asia flights now on a330s? Do they stay in Asia or make their way to the US as well?
There's some 7 332s in the fleet with a pair needed for each route. The a/c ply SEA, PDX and SFO-NRT and onward to BKK and SIN. There's another port of call in Asia but I can't remember which it is.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 11:48 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Good to read this report and to see that other students also manage to indulge in premium cabin flying. Thanks for taking the time to write this.

One note on the inflight trivia game: It's been on the Swiss A330 ever since that type was introduced back in 1998... so yeah, not quite cutting-edge anymore!
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Great report.

Ignore the people calling you spoiled. Immaturity and envy are both ugly traits that some people seem comfortable sharing online.

If someone was sitting in my seat, I would have alerted the FA and they would have taken care of it. I sure wouldn't have given up an upstairs exit row to ANYONE!

-The ruthless traveler
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by olafman
If someone was sitting in my seat, I would have alerted the FA and they would have taken care of it. I sure wouldn't have given up an upstairs exit row to ANYONE!
There's no exits in the top deck of a 741/742/747SP. You have to go downstairs. That said, I actually prefer the bulkhead row in NW's 742s than the next row back.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 1:32 pm

Thanks for the report. Very informative.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by azj
I just find it interesting that you intentionally choose NWA, but then nitpick and complain about what they have to offer. If it bothers you so much, why is NWA your carrier of choice? Why not just stricly fly SQ, CX, MH or the other asian can do no wrong carriers? Oh yea... 'cause of the free upgrades.
Who cares??? Just for your information the OP said that "it's slightly easier to upgrade on SQ, but they demand a whopping 45,000 miles one-way." So read the posts carefully before responding.

Well, you said several times how OLD things were, yet pointed out lots of positives like the extra leg room and the fact the seats were very sleepable.
Who cares???

Personally, I'd have been thrilled to have a flight like that at 21!
Who cares??? And who says that he wasn't thrilled?

The OP gave us a good report of his flight experience. Granted, he has been jaded a little by flying SQ in F, but in all honesty even I am having trouble flying UA in International F after flying in Regional C with SQ!

Other than that, I am sure you can comment about other things rather than nitpick on the things you didn't like about the report... talk about negative energy!

Last edited by UA 882; Jun 7, 2005 at 2:12 pm
Old Jun 7, 2005, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
Excellent report. The idea behind Flyertalk is for people to give there impression about a trip or a flight. If i feel that the plane is old then that is my personal opinion, if others flew on a similar plane and or flight and got a better interior good for them. But i will write my own impression without any pressure from othres.
Keep up the good work ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.