Reload this Page >

BA Club Europe: Bologna run

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2005, 8:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

This micro-trip was planned like every other. Hot off the heals of the previous one, 16 hours in Milan. I really didn't have any particular weekend destination in mind but being mindful of the current I class offerings from BA this effectively narrowed the choice down to three possible destinations: Marseilles, Naples or Bologna. I chose Bologna in the end - primarily because it seemed such an easy weekend trip to take as the connections through Gatwick are perfectly timed, permitting a fulfilling stay and maximising the time available for such a compact weekend trip.

EDI-LGW BA2937 Seat 8A
1125-1245

I arrived at Turnhouse bright and early (thanks in part to the quiet streets of Edinburgh and the Jackie Stewart wannabe behind the wheel of the taxi) and proceeded straight to the check-in desk. As I booked this ticket through AA.com, both online check-in and self service checkin kiosks were out of bounds on this occasion. Within moments I was on my way upstairs towards the Terraces lounge with both boarding passes in hand. After planting my stuff in my usual corner, I went forth to collect paper, espresso and yoghurt from the bar. The lounge was practically empty which is a rare thing even on a Saturday morning but with about dozen patrons present, I still ended up waiting behind two others at the espresso machine. The lounge crowd diminished further after the MAN and BHX flights were called leaving only half a dozen waiting for the LHR and LGW flights.

My flight was called and I gathered my stuff for the short walk across the concourse to the gate. Boarding took about 15 minutes - full load, well full from row 5 back but some passengers were able to move forward once the door was closed. Flight was pleasantly uneventful meaning it left 10 minutes late but arrived on time. Bar service, tea/coffee and something sweet offering was dispensed with the level of enthusiasm we continue to enjoy on BA domestic. Flight concluded with an ear popping decent over Sussex - a noteable thing after years of flying is that my ears are particularly sensitive to pressure changes onboard BA's 737's.

LGW Flight connections
This is the point of the journey when all senses need to be placed on full alert. Some tips to aid yourself through the fleck carpeted labyrinth you encounter from the gate to the departure area:
Never follow the crowd.
Never allow yourself the luxury of familiarity,
And most important of all: follow the FC signs religiously. If they fizzle out then you've taken a wrong turn. When (not if) this happens retrack your steps until you find yourself back on the righteous path.

Located a pleasant window spot on the fourth floor of the Terraces lounge where I retreated behind my book and music for the hour ahead. Unfortunately, my iPod jammed and this needed immediate attention. With all PC's occupied, I walked out of the lounge in search of some technical help. For some bizarre reason I thought the chaps at Dixons might come to my rescue but unfortunately that wasn't to be. Chap behind the iPod counter duly advised: "well, you see. I had a camcorder that froze and I had to call out an engineer. Cost me fifty quid. Thats what you're going to have to do!" Go figure! Really, I should have known better. Returned to the lounge where I found a vacant PC and after two minutes at the Apple website, I was able to re boot my iPod. Good thing too as it had stuck on Dannii Minogue's "All I Wanna Do". Boy, that could have been embarrassing if anyone clocked its display As I made my exit, I noticed a small crowd congregating beneath the monitor at the bar. Spotted right in the centre of the crowd was Tom Baker. Timely reminder to set watch back one hour

LGW-BLQ BA2562 Seat 2A
1435-1745

Flight boarded in dribs and draps. CE was full; the curtain divider set behind row 4. Hot towels were presented prior to push-back and we left LGW more or less on time. The skies over Europe were crystal clear. Flying directly over Paris I marvelled at the view: at 35,000 feet one might be forgiven for thinking the city was carved out of a single sheet of Bianco Carrara marble. Quite incredible and without fail a very impressive picture. Afternoon tea was served following a round of drinks. Unfortunately my veggie meal hadn't made it on to the flight but the CSD did a fine job assembling a very satisfactory alternative:

Finger sandwiches: white bread, decrusted and filled with cheese and salad
Hot cheese and tomato pizza (appropriated from ET stocks)
The most devinely melt in the mouth chocolate eclair
Hot scone with clotted cream and strawberry preserve

After lunch, the tray was taken away and my attention turned to the magnificent views of the Alps beneath us, sipped away a glass of Bordeaux. Breathtaking.

Arrived about 20 minutes ahead of time at Aeroporto G. Marconi di Bologna. The CSD handed me my jacket with some reassuring words about dinner on the return leg. Passengers disembarked through both forward and rear stairs where we were met by two very large and very flat buses to take us the final 150m to the terminal.

24 hours in Bologna
Connections between the airport and city centre is pretty straight forward. There is a frequent bus service linking it with the Stazione Central which also conveniently stops at Via Ugo Bassi (for Piazza Maggiore) and later half way up Via dell Independenza which is perfect if you wish to hit the shops on arrival. I had booked my stay at the Hotel Una which was a bit of a wild card such that the Una chain is not affiliated with any of the frequent flyer programmes I belong to. Turned out to be a very smart hotel indeed, located opposite the Stazione. Without question, the designers took inspiration from Rem Koolhaas and applied it en mass. Although the rate was a very reasonable EUR80 for the night (including breakfast), it was surprisingly well appointed, furnished by B&B Italia. So if unique and boutique is your thing, then you can do a lot worse than the Una.

Checked out just before 11am and my plan was to explore the ancient city and hopefully, if lucky do a bit of shopping. After about 45 minutes of window shopping winding my way from one delightfully arcaded street to the next, I settled for a couple of hours at the Piazza Maggiore and took in the atmosphere, fuelled by frequent caffe espresso hits. Caught up with some reading, managed a bit of sketching and scribbled together some notes from the previous days travel. Back to the streets, I ventured to the Metropolitana di San Pietro, a wonderful mish-mash of 9th and 12th century ruins and rebuilding. Other highlight is the twin towers, La Torre degli Asinelli and Garisenda. Torre Garisenda lurches dramatically at an alarming angle. Must refrain at this point, don't wish to bore folks too much with all this sightseeing stuff.

I think you can spend a fruitful 3-4 hours to capture the best of a Bologna Sunday but as I was growing weary and my plastic had seen no action, I was quite content after 4 hours to return to the Airport. Arriving at 3:30pm, three hours before departure, I popped into the VIP room and returned to my book. Now, i've read a lot about Bologna Airport in general and the VIP room in particular but it certainly isn't all smoke and mirrors. Okay, the VIP room is tiny and stills appears tiny even with the full mirror wall but the air was clean and cool, as it is throughout the entire terminal. The authorities obviously making moves to create a more welcoming environment, particularly to those visiting from North America Airside and landside is a shoppers paradise, providing Ferrari branded apparel floats your boat.

BLQ-LGW BA2563 Seat 1A
1830-1940

Boarding commenced at 18:10, 20 minutes before our departure time although the monitor indicated an incorrect 18:50 departure time prompting one passenger (adorning fresh VII tattoo on forearm - whats that all about?) to confront the gate agent with an aggressive tone. Quite unnecessary, I mean really!

The flight back was light. Each passenger in CE owned an entire row. My immediate impression of this 737-500 was the vast distance between my seat and the bulkhead infront. Much more than the 737-300/400 or other shorthaul aircraft in the fleet. As on the flight out, hot towels were handed out on the ground and the crew sprung into action at the bell call denoting we're cruising. This time around, I went for the Italian Chianti which although wasn't overly rough, I certainly preferred the Bordeaux. Excuse me for this moment to nit-pick: I had to crack open the wine and serve it myself. Presentation a la UK dom: surely not really appropriate for CE. Dinner was served immediately after:

Roasted courgette and sundried tomatoes
Spanish tortilla with asparagus, roasted courgette and an abundance of mushrooms
Fresh fruit plate of strawberries, pineapple and melon
Bread roll fresh from the oven

One other minor detail flaw. I had to decant the main dish onto the plate and discard the used foil tray. Meal was very nice although the bread was a tad past its best. Arrived a few minutes late but still a good 55 minutes before the departure of the final sector up to EDI.

LGW-EDI BA2946 Seat 1A
2040-2200

Documenting this sector for the benefit of completeness. First off, confirming that the leg room on this 737-300 is a good six inches less than equivalent seat on the 500 variant, although I noticed the space in front of 1DEF being slightly more generous. (Note to self for future use) Again, not a completely packed flight with plenty of spare middle seats evident, certainly in the front few rows. On time departure, mini CE meal with hot breads and drinks service dutifully received by all - top-ups included. Still feeling full after the previous flight I happily settled with a GnT to help while away the remaining 40 minutes and reflect on the events of the day. Oh, during the final approach, I did open a fresh copy of High Life - not enough time i'm afraid for a comprehensive QA check of the facts and figures but it would appear that the A321 still possesses the nose of a 707. Other than that, there's a short "Destination Update" on Bologna, celebrating the routes 25 year history. Very timely. Interestingly, the maiden voyage was also on 737.

Anyway with this first report duly filed, must get on and plan May's trip.

Last edited by GregM; May 2, 2005 at 8:55 am Reason: grammatical corrections - there will be more i'm sure
Old May 2, 2005, 10:03 am

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
Nice one, Greg - thanks for taking the time and trouble to write it up. In your own words, a bit of a 'micro trip', but it sounds like an enjoyable way to spend a weekend, without even having to take time off. Always a bit of a challenge, making it all fit when you're starting in EDI.

Must ask ... did you book a through fare from EDI, or a separate el-cheapo on the shuttle? I usually go for separate bookings, but feel I may be missing a trick with the extra tier points. But I can never justify to myself the quoted add-on compared to one I put together myself.

I really must get organised soon with regard to the current I-class sale
Old May 2, 2005, 10:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steady-EDI
Must ask ... did you book a through fare from EDI, or a separate el-cheapo on the shuttle? I usually go for separate bookings, but feel I may be missing a trick with the extra tier points. But I can never justify to myself the quoted add-on compared to one I put together myself.
Thanks for your kinds words. This was a through booking through AA.com. As BA.com had no I class availability on the outbound, it worked out a whopping £160 cheaper to go with AA.com. I did consider separating the booking but as I was returning on the last flights of the day I was happy to pay the extra for the added cushion in case the connection went pair shaped. The dom legs were tagged as Business UK but posted as D this time round.
Old May 6, 2005, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Nice report. ^

I wonder how long it will be before they fix the 737/A321 Mutant Beast in the High Life mag?
Old May 6, 2005, 9:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Great trip report!

However, I must admit I was disappointed with Bologna. Although I was only there for five hours or so, I found it enough! Personally I didn't find that much to do there, I found it very hard to find restaurants - instead there seemed to be a myriad of bars serving nothing apart from simple snacks. However I did agree the architecture was impressive, especially as most of the buildings looked like they were going to collapse at any minute.

In fact I found the airport quite good - Ferrari shop was interesting and the restaurant had a good view of the runway.

Also, the Bologna Lounge wasn't as small as people here are making out - it is more like half the size of the FIRST lounge at LGW, however there are no windows in the BLQ lounge and the seating could be arranged better rather than everyone in a semi circle staring at each other.....

Interesting that your Club Europe service on the way back was a bit hit and miss. It sounded quite different in comparison to the flight I flew back on last Monday (and with Shuttle-Bored for the record). On our flight, they served the beef casserole from container straight onto the plate for us and also came around with a selection of wines and two types of Champagne for passengers to select after the meal service - most impressive all in all.
Old May 6, 2005, 9:59 pm

Interesting account!
Old May 7, 2005, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyclub
Interesting that your Club Europe service on the way back was a bit hit and miss. It sounded quite different in comparison to the flight I flew back on last Monday (and with Shuttle-Bored for the record). On our flight, they served the beef casserole from container straight onto the plate for us and also came around with a selection of wines and two types of Champagne for passengers to select after the meal service - most impressive all in all.
Overall, the service was top notch, on both the outbound and return. The catering glitches I mentioned were so minor: I actually think the afternoon tea the CSD cobbled together was probably vastly superior to the VGML meal that got left behind at LGW. The folks that devise the special meal menus seem to think that us fussy eaters don't like to indulge ourselves in chocolate or other naughty delights. The chocolate eclair looked so humble but turned out to be quite the most mouth wateringly delicious treat. On the return, I think the beef or steak casserole was served for dinner - final prep was completed in the galley and the meal served on china wear. No trolley in sight. It was just the special meals that were served still in the foil tray.

Interesting that you also found it tough to fill the hours in Bologna. Good job the weather was glorious last weekend though. Can you imagine how much more of a challenge it would have been if it was raining all day?
Old May 7, 2005, 2:36 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Excellent trip report Greg. ^
Look forward to catching up with you next week at the Do!
Old May 7, 2005, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by GregM
Interesting that you also found it tough to fill the hours in Bologna. Good job the weather was glorious last weekend though. Can you imagine how much more of a challenge it would have been if it was raining all day?
Absolutely - 30 degrees Celcius was most welcome and I have to thank Rohan for their excellent 'zip off' trousers otherwise I would have baked in the heat!!

The problem with Bologna as a destination, is that there are plenty of other places in Italy that BA fly which are far more interesting such as Venice, Rome or even Naples which was far nicer than Bologna in my opinion yet many think it is dangerous, etc...

Looking forward to meeting you (and AJLondon, of course) next weekend!
Old May 7, 2005, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Great Report! ^^
Old May 9, 2005, 6:06 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by GregM
went over the easter weekend and had two and a half days of grey skies with decent quantities of rain.
spent a lot of time in bars / coffe shops / restaurants.
seemed like a chuffin' marvellous way to spend a weekend, actually

I need some back-up on this - where's Pucci ?
Old May 9, 2005, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Good report. Always like hearing about these inter-Europe runs.
Old May 10, 2005, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by StewieMac
went over the easter weekend and had two and a half days of grey skies with decent quantities of rain.
spent a lot of time in bars / coffe shops / restaurants.
seemed like a chuffin' marvellous way to spend a weekend, actually

I need some back-up on this - where's Pucci ?
Maybe it's our "Fast Lane" lifestyle which made us bored in Bologna...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.