Wiki Posts
Search

TAM Buenos Aires - Sao Paolo BC with photos

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2005, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
TAM Buenos Aires - Sao Paolo BC with photos

I have included a text version of the below but the prettier version with pictures can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/olafmandk/kkezegru

TAM #8011
Buenos Aires, Argentina - Sao Paolo, Brazil 20MAR05
Airbus 320
Departure: 06:15pm (actual 6:00pm, we left early because the baggage handlers have been stealing things here!!)
Arrival:08:50pm
Seat: Business 1A

After a incredible week in Buenos Aires, it was time to head home. So what better airline that Skytrax's #1 airline for South America, TAM. I actually chose to have THE ROUTING FROM HELL so that I could try TAM out. Yes, my name is Carl and I'm a frequent flyer addict.

I took a 50 peso cab ride (US$18) out to the airport with a great cabbie. All the international airlines are in one terminal except for Aerolineas Argentinas has its own terminal next door. Then there is a domestic terminal next to that.

There were five check desks and one dedicated to Business Class. No one was there when I walked up so immediately two people began to help me. One took my documents and the other informed me the flight would be leaving 15 minutes early because the local baggage people have been stealing things from bags! I didn't quite understand but who am I to argue. Also our aircraft was parked a gate at the Aerolineas Argentinas terminal next door so she was warning me it was quite a schlep from the Salon VIP. She inserted little "no tamper" plastic thingies so that my bags could not be opened. No x-raying here! She also put on the CLASE EXECUTIVA tags on my bags. Which actually helped get my bags off first in Miami. After checking in I had to go pay the US$18 departure tax immediately next door.
The check-in hall was bright and airy, kind of a mini version of HKG. The passenger gates were at the end of the hall and up one level.

TAM uses the AMEX Centurion Lounge next to Gate 2. There were no marking outside that it was the TAM lounge so I was a bit confused which of the three Salon VIPs I was supposed to use! When I got inside, it was cramped and crowed. There were no snacks and a bar where you could order drinks.
I was feeling a bit peckish so I'd have to go check out another lounge or even BUY SOMETHING!!! Being a good flyertalker, I'm not afraid of stopping in on another lounge! I found the AAdmirals Club and the front desk woman said that I couldn't enter on my AA award ticket since I was on TAM. I'm always a bit confused by all of the rules. Anyway, I had a lounge pass that I was never going to use so she happily let me in. The good thing there was only one other person. I guess AA had no flights going out at that time.
The lounge had original artwork on the walls, great views of the airport and comfy black leather chairs.

The main snack bar four different kinds of cheese/crackers, some fruit and a couple varieties of potato chips. The open bar was very well stocked.
In spite of a variety of liquors, there was NO vodka, my drink of choice. So I opted for a Beefeaters and tonic. Around the corner there was another bar that had a espresso/cappuccino maker with "media lunas" and palmeras.
For my second drink, I spotted some Drambouie and immediately thought of Cathay Pacific. They serve a great drink called a "Pacific Sunrise" that is Krug champagne with a splash of Drambouie with a swirl of orange and lemon peel. So I did my best with the available ingredients and made my own "Southern Sunset".

In the business center there were two computers with internet, printers, fax and copy machine. My laptop found some pay wifi but I didn't bother. So many places offer it for free that I rarely pay for it. There is a great website: http://www.freewifispot.com that I use to find these spots. I use this site often when traveling.

Today's flight was on a Airbus 320 with 2 class configuration. As I was walking down to gate 12 in the next terminal, several helpful TAM ladies were helping guide the way. They all said that this was not their normal gate and were quite apologetic. It wasn't a bad walk. Of course, when I got there, thirty people were waiting to board. I hate lines and usually wait until the last moment to board.

This is TAM's regional business seat in a 2+2 configuration in business while having a 3+3 configuration in Economy. It's very similar to AA domestic FC on the new 737s. The seat was quite comfortable. As I was in row 1, I could easily stretch out my legs. Luckily, the seat next to mine was unoccupied which I LOVE. I'm not a big talker on a plane. They showed some sort of in flight programming but I chose to watch a DVD on my computer.

The flight crew was top notch. Two very friendly flight attendants served us in Business class. Once we boarded they distributed menus for the flight and then took our drink and dinner orders. Then after a while they COLLECTED the menus like in a restaurant. I usually like to keep mine so I can look at the wine list during the meal. But before I realized I might need it, I gave it up!
They passed out a moist towelette before departure but no pre-departure drinks!

The food was quite good especially for a two hour flight. It reminded me a first class meal of yesterday on a domestic American airline.
The Appetizer Course offering was:
Romaine Lettuce salad with Crawfish, fresh and dried tomatoes
This salad was flavorful and a good start to the meal. The flight attendants came by three times during the meal with a nice basket of warm breads. Throughout the entire meal, I enjoy a nice Chilean red.

The Soup Course offering was:
Potato Leek Soup
I love soup on a plane! I think the only other airline that I've consistently been served soup is Cathay Pacific. The portion was not large but it was piping hot and delicious.

My Main Course choice was:
Lamb severed with carrots, zucchini and potatoes
I love lamb and order it whenever I see it on a menu. This was very nice and the sauce went well with the dish.

The Dessert offerings were:
Poached pear with chocolate sauce
or
Fresh Fruit
The pear was a light ending to a good meal.
The meal was finished up with a lovely cup of strong coffee.

For a regional flight of two hours, I was very impressed with TAM. It was my first flight with them and they made a great impression on me. I would choose to fly with them again.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:40 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Excellent picture report.

TAM offers quite a lot for such a short flight!
Old Mar 31, 2005, 4:36 am

Programs: some
Great to hear about this not so often mentioned airline!
Old Mar 31, 2005, 8:51 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Wow, your report with pictures is fantastic, thanks for sharing it!
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:48 am

Programs: AA,BA,CO,KL,TG,TP,US,VS,HH,Priority Club,Wydham, Starwood,Hyatt
I flew TAM 8011 on the return leg of a AMS-GRU-EZE trip in November and came away impressed with their service, even though I was in Y class. I would definitly fly them again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.