Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines JFK-CDG in Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2005, 7:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Arrow American Airlines JFK-CDG in Business Class

I have often seen posts asking for information about the difference in Business Class on the 763 (2 Class) versus the 777 (3 class). I recently took a flight from BOS-JFK-CDG and thought I would post the menu as the main difference is meal service, and a few comments for those who might be interested. I apologize for poor writing and editing, those are not my strong suits at the moment! Please feel free to post questions and comments!

Before I comment further on the 763, here is a bit of commentary on pre flight lounges, etc:

We (my lovely blond friend and I) made our way to BOS arriving around 2:30 PM for our 4:00 PM departure to LGA aboard American Eagle 4884. This flight leaves from the far off gates, which I hope changes soon as they should all be integrated together. We made use of the combined First/Biz check-in and got our boarding passes for the BOS-LGA segment, exit rows of course! Made our way to the First Class/Elite security line and were through in 5 minutes or so. I wanted to use the AC and nobody had a problem with this, even though our flight left from the other gates. The AA terminal was pretty bustling but within a few minutes we were situated in the BOS AC. I find that its one of the quieter, more kept up AC’s and the ambience is more intimate, making it one of my favorites. The staff admitted us both without question and handed out 4 drink certs (What a great start!). We made our way to the old Flagship Lounge, the door propped open. The old FL was practically empty (Let’s keep it a secret) and was spotless. We sat down and had a few cocktails, watched some TV on the leather sofa and checked email before going out into the AC. The ladies in the AC advised us that we should not go back to the ‘Siberia’ terminal but rather have a bus take us over to gate 24. We took their suggestion and got a nice private tour of the tarmac, the bus dropping us off near the 24 gate.

AE flight 4884: Uneventful flight, the exit rows are a must on the RJ’s. One interesting note, there was just one call for boarding, no EXP, PLT, GRP 1 etc…just a “We are ready to board”. Our flight took off promptly at 4 and we had a drink and pretzel service and with that touched down at LGA on time.

Making our way to JFK: I had a car reserved through Carmel Limo, which I have used before for NYC transfers. This time however, I did not want to go straight to JFK. My plan; which was pulled off without a hitch went like this… Pickup at LGA, drive to Filli Ponte Ristorante for drinks, take a scenic drive down Canal street, through the city and on to JFK. Our driver picked us up in a sparkling black Town Car and whisked us to Filli Ponte. The restaurant has an incredible view over the water and a great upscale ambience. We enjoyed a few drinks at the bar, took in some views, visited a friend and then it was off on our mini city tour. My friend had not been to NYC before so I had the driver take us around Manhattan for a bit on the way to JFK, great views, there is nothing like NYC lit up on a clear night.

JFK: AA’s terminal was bustling, lots of excited people rushing about, huge coach check in line, fairly long biz line as well. We used the First Class line, which has a separate roped off, carpeted area. There were a few flowers on the check in desks, a nice touch. With boarding passes in hand we slipped off to the AC. It was fairly quiet, I think the JFK T8 AC is dark and rather classy, if a bit outdated and worn around the edges. We again got 4 drink coupons from the very friendly AC agent who wished us a pleasant flight. Having done a good job getting my beautiful blond lady drunk, (2 Cosmopolitans at the BOS AC, 1 Cosmopolitan at Filli Ponte, and now 2 Dirty Martinis at JFK) I went to freshen up in the shower. This is one area were the JFK AC could use an upgrade; the 2 showers are old, European style with hand help showerheads. Toothbrush and paste are provided, a nice touch, but only shower gel, no shampoo was available from the dispenser. Soon we headed down to wait at the gate for AA 120 to CDG…

AA 120: Security, although no elite line, was no problem. The flight was to begin boarding at 8:50 (I believe) for a 9:40 departure. We got to the gate around 8:30 and it was packed. The AA gate areas are rather dark and dingy. Soon enough boarding commenced and a smiling Hello and Bonjour greeted us…

Boarding soon commenced and we found our seats in the last row, large pillows, blankets in plastic and the TEMPLE SPA amenity kits were on the seats. I find the Biz seats on AA perfectly acceptable, although obviously outdated compared to most other airlines flying internationally. The cabin was fairly clean and the crew was smiling and milling about the cabin. They had set up a welcome drink station on linens with silver platters, for OJ, Water and Champagne at the front of the cabin. A bottle of champagne was in an ice bucket as well, a nice touch. A smiling and obviously enthusiastic FA brought around drinks and another took coats. The flight was packed in both classes.

Differences of the 763 Business Class experience:

Slightly more seat pitch (Same seats as 777) with 2+2+2 seating.
Entertainment Pack: DVD Player, New Release/Classic DVD’s (20 maybe), Bose QC1’s.
Flagship Meal Service: Enhanced Menu, Much more flourish to the service, china plates, champagne flutes, silver serving trays, bow tied linens, glass bowles, personalized multi course-plated service. This service includes much larger portions for the salad courses and increased appetizer course and entrée portions, all individual plated service. The traditional make your own sundae is also available. The full meal service easily takes an hour and is much more complete than traditional pre plated 777 Business Class. The express meal service is of course still available. Unfortunately, there is no hot breakfast anymore, just as on the 777, unless in First.

Overall, if one is looking for a more ‘traditional’ class experience on AA in Business than the 763 is a cut above. On this particular flight the champagne was flowing, dessert seconds were offered and the FA’s very professional, genuinely smiling, wearing their “Checkered Premium Jackets” and quite eager to please.

Menu

Champagne
Perrier-Jouet “Belle Epoque”

White Wines
Laroche Chablis Premier Cru
Chateau Souverain Alexander Valley Sauvignon Blanc

Red Wines
Chateau Langoa-Barton
Rosemont Diamond Estate Bottled Estate Diamond Shiraz

Sherry
Emiliop Lustau Sherry

Dessert Wine
Graham’s Vintage Port

Beverages
Blood Mary – Screwdriver

Spirits
SKYY Vodka, Tanqueray Gin, Barcardi Rum, Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch, Makers Mark Bourbon, Crown Royal Canadian Whisky, Dewars White Label Scotch, Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey

Beers
Heineken, Amstel Light, Select US Beers

Brandy
Di Saronnno, Baileys, Kahlua, Courvoisier

Other Beverages
Carbonated Beverages, Premium Coffee, Tea, Fruit Juices, Milk

Dinner

To Start
To accompany your beverage:
Warm roasted nuts and Fresh Vegetables in a Pesto Ranch Dressing

Seafood Appetizer
Smoked Salmon, Maine Lobster, Herb Marintated Shrimp

Salad
Fresh seasonal greens with Artichoke Hearts, Cheery Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Kalamata Olives
Romano Cheese Dressing or Olive Oil/Balsamic

Breads
Foccacio, Crusty Wheat, White, Multigrain

Entrees

Veal Osso Buco

Cannelloni

Hunter Style Chicken

Shrimp and Scallops with Risotto

The Cheese and Dessert Cart

Fresh Fruit and Cheese

Ice Cream Sundae – Choice of Toppings

Grand Mariner Fruit Salad with Sorbet

Breakfast

Fresh Seasonal Fruit
Yogurt
Cereal
Breakfast Breads

Last edited by JohnnyUMF; Oct 19, 2005 at 5:05 am
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Nice report, thank you very much for it. I'd like to point out that when I flew JFK-CDG back in 1998 (also in J on a 763, but it was three class then), only a cold breakfast was offered as well. Back then it was granola, fruit and breakfast breads.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 6:03 am

Programs: some
Your NYC stop sounds like the perfect transit!
Old Mar 11, 2005, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Anyone curious about the difference in Business Class on the 763 (2 Class) versus the 777 (3 class) will be well served by this thorough report. Great job!

BTW, you wouldn't happen to be flying SAA's new Business Class between JFK and JNB anytime soon, would you? Also, I'm curious about Varig's F or J service down to Rio. Oh, and ...

Seriously though, I am curious if anyone out there might be able to compare AA's 2 Class 763 Business Class with CO's Business First on any trans-Atlantic route.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Excellent summary of the differences and a great write-up. I too strongly prefer J class on the 763. I had to fly to LHR on a 777 in J earleir in the year and it was such a dissappointment compared to the 763.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Seriously though, I am curious if anyone out there might be able to compare AA's 2 Class 763 Business Class with CO's Business First on any trans-Atlantic route.
I can help you here. Last summer I flew EWR-FRA-EWR on CO in BusinessFirst as they were running a very attractice fare sale and I had wanted to try Business First for quite a while.

In terms of meal service, I would give the edge to CO, but only slightly. Both meal services were quite good. CO wins because I found the quality of their main courses to be superior and, frankly, a bit more imaginative than AA. Their breakfast, while not hot, offered more variety in breads than AA does. The second meal service on the return flight was better on CO, but CO changes that monthly and I may have lucked out with a particularly good month.

In terms of overall service, I don't think I have enough CO experience to offer a meaningful comparison. I will say that I was very well looked after on both my CO flights, but I also have not had reason to complain on any AA 763 J flight.

In terms of seating, I'd give the edge to CO. Note that I was on a CO 767-400, which does not have a the lie-flat seat featured on the 777. Unlike AA, CO's seat was electronically controlled. CO has one less seat per row on the 767 (5 vs. 6), so the seat is wider by a few inches. If traveling solo, the center seats are solo, which is nice for the overnight flight. The complaint I have about CO's seat vs. AA's is the pitch. CO offers 55 inch pitch vs. AA's 62 inches on the 763. It wasn't a huge deal. Neither seat offers a legrest that comes to the horizontal relative to the seat bottom, something I consider essential to really enjoy a premium seat.

Although I did not fly CO on an Italian route, I have noticed that CO offers a meal service tailored to the Italian market with a pasta course replacing the salad course. Alitalia does the same thing and I find that enjoyable. Other than offering a Japanese meal on NRT flights, AA does not tailor its meal offerings to the route. In fact, the meal service never really changes.

Seat2A, if you don't already know, CO posts in BusinessFirst menu every month on its website. A nice touch.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 8:37 am

Programs: CO PP, UA GS, AA EXP
Awesome

Great Trip report. Wish there were more reports like this to read!! I'm going DFW-FRA-DFW on 777 in F soon. I will post a report on the service!
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Mistaken Post, wrong thread

Last edited by JohnnyUMF; Oct 18, 2005 at 8:28 pm Reason: Wrong Thread!
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
I really hope they don't serve "glass bowels"!
Old Oct 19, 2005, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Great trip report!! I like that you included the menu and wine list. Its nice that they include a sherry and a port if your into after dinner wines as I am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.