Wiki Posts
Search

My day with CX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2005, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP, LH Senator, TG Gold, AA Platinum
My day with CX

I took the 4:25pm departure from BKK to HKG and had a very enjoyable flight. The flight crew was very energetic and it was a nice to have a Thai purser for the flight. A refreshment was served after takeoff:

Appetizer - Gravlax Salmon with Honey Mustard dressing
Main Courses - Lamb chops with Pesto and Tomato Oregano Sauce, Roasted Vegetables and Potatoes - or - Seabass with Tamarind Sauce, Steamed Rice and Stir-fried Oriental Mixed Vegetables.
Dessert - Lemon Tea Mousse with Raspberry sauce.

I had the the gravlax starter and the seabass--both were excellent quality for business class. The crew brought both options to the seat for viewing to make selection easier. The cabin crew also made several runs up the aisle with the beverage cart making sure everybody was happy.
We arrived in HKG pretty much on time and a few minuted later I found myself looking at the ticket machines for the MRT. I thought about for a few seconds and decided I would take a taxi. As I was walking I saw a sign that said train leaving in 7 minutes. There was a ticket machine there so I gave in to my curiosity and slipped HKD 100 in for a ticket to Kowloon Station. Out popped a plastic type ticket and my change and I boarded the train. I was not expecting to find a nearly empty train or the very comfortable seats. Wow, I was impressed. The train even has a light display showing your progression to the next stop. When I reached Kowloon I boarded the free shuttle to bus to the Sheraton and was just shaking my head...I could not believe how easy this was. I was checked in propmtly and given what I thought was a nice room on the 9th floor. It was not a harbour view and since I was leaving early in the morning I did not care. I have had many rooms overlooking the HK harbour. The next morning I did the reverse and was back at the airport in no time. I had my boarding pass for CX830 printed in BKK the night before so I was able to bypass the check-in desks---there was maybe one person checking in. When I got to the secure area I was told my bag, which has never been a problem anywhere, was to big for Hong Kong. I had a chance to use the First Class check in desk after all. The agent smiled and attached a waiver to my bag. Back to passport control and the security check. About 8 minutes in the line and I was on my way to The Wing.
I have never been here in the morning and was curious what would be on offer. I have read here people are able to request certain items--the staff today did not seem very approachable so I settled for what was on the buffet: sunny side up eggs on muffins, stir fried rice noodles with assorted meat, the usual fruit and yogurts, a few slices of salami with cheese, a selection of breads and some wrapped sandwiches.
Boarding for the flight to NY was from gate 6--a bus gate. I found it disappointing there was no seperate bus for First or Business Class passengers. Everybody was literally shoved into a hot crowded bus until it was full. For some odd reason when the bus was full to capacity--with the doors shut--the drived turned off the power for about 2 minutes. The power resumed and we were on our way to the aircraft. I made my way up to the 1L door and found my seat-1A...it was not very difficult. The crew were standing in the galley area discussing something. About ten minutes later I was asked if I would like something to drink. My glass of champagne was delivered with the usual canape service. Today it was a scallop and nori seaweed basket containing a slice of salmon and a shrimp with some red pepper coulis drizzled around the plate. The nori really added nice flavour to the dish. However, I noticed most plates went back with the nori still intact. A few minutes later the sleep suits and amenity kits were handed out. Menus came next:

Caviar and Balik Salmon Delight

Asparagus Cream Soup with Coriander
served with Mini Garlic Baguette

Seasonal Green Salad with Orange Segments, Shredded Fennel and Radish served with Honey Mustard dressing

Main Courses

**Sauteed Shrimps and Jade Melon with Marinated Pork
Steamed rice

Roasted Pork Fillet Stuffed with Tomato, Pinenuts and Mushrooms and wrapped in Bacon with Tomato Concasse--Buttered Gnocchi and Roasted Root Vegetables

**Duck Confit with Mashed Potatoes, Braised Cabbage and Truffle Sauce

Sweet Potato and Leek Ravioli with Tomato Concasse Sauce

Cheese Board

Dessert Selection

Creme Brule, Caramel Ice Cream, Valrhona Chocolate Tart

** A special selection from The Hong Kong Jockey Club's exclusive Happy Valley Clubhouse restaurants.

Refreshment

Noodles in Soup with Braised Beef Brisket

Roasted Vegetable with Feta Cheese in Puff Pastry with Side Salad

**Plain Congee or Congee with Abalone and Meat Balls served with Pan-Fried Shredded Chicken Pancakes with Ham and Spring Onions

**Rice with Beef and Water Chestnut Patty in Hot Pot served with Double Boiled Chicken Soup with Sea Whelk, Fish Maw, and Medlars

Ice Cream

I was served a healthy portion of the salmon and caviar. For lunch I had the Duck Confit and the Hot Pot later on. Everything was very tasty.

Brunch

Juice Selection
Appetizer
Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Main Courses

Eggs~Freshly Scrambled, Fried or Boiled
Assorted Dim Sum
Vegetable Quiche

Accompaniments

Grilled Ham Slices and Pan-Fried Nurnberger Sausages, Pan-Fried Potato Cake with Cheddar, Vine Ripened Tomato and Sauteed Fresh mushrooms

Assorted bread, Rolls and Fresh Toast

We landed at JFK about 30 minutes early and spent that time taxiing. Immigration was quick and I was upstairs checking in for my connecting flight on CX889 in about 25 minutes. It helped I had no checked baggage.

I had some things to do in the city so I grabbed a quick shower in the BA lounge and was on my way....When I returned in the early evening the lounge was packed. The 8:00pm BA flight was cancelled and everybody seemed to be telling a story. There appeared to be no shortage of flights to LHR so I don't know why the big song and dances. If you plan your shedule that tight--you will get burned.

CX889 was around an hour late do to the late arrival of CX888. After pushing back we had to have the de-icing people come by. Once we got going it was your typical CX flight. Here is the menu transcript for those of you interested. I will also include the YVR/HKG sector, although I got off at YVR.

Caviar and Fine Fish Delight
Caviar and Fine Smoked Salmon served with New Potatoes and Creme Fraiche

Light Options
Mushroom Cream Soup

Garlic and Herb Scented Lamb Slices on Seasonal Greens served with Herb Vinaigrette

Main Courses
Veal Tenderloin with Chanterelle Mushroom Cream Sauce, Mashed Red Potatoes and Seasonal Vegetable Parcels

Grilled Lobster with Garlic Herb Butter
Fingerling Potatoes, Baby Fennel, Zucchini and Squash

Wild Mushroom Lasagne

Hong Kong Favourites
Soy-Marinated Chicken Braised in Broad Bean Sauce
Steamed rice and Kailan

Noodles in Soup with Barbecued Duck

Snack
Warm Reuben Sandwiches

Cheeseboard
Dessert
New York Style Cheesecake served with Strawberry sauce

I was the third passenger to have my order taken and the lobster was finished.

Vancouver - Hong Kong

Appetizer
Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Main Courses
Braised Pork Ribs Wuxi Style Steamed Rice and Stir-fried Choy Sum

Oven Roasted Chicken Breast stuffed with Wild Mushrooms and Brandy Cream Sauce, Saffron Risotto, Glazed Baby Carrots and Zucchini

Mushroom Ravioli with Tomato Basil Sauce, Grilled Yellow and Green Zucchini

Bread Basket
Tea and Coffee

Snack

Noodle Soup
Noodles in Soup with Braised Beef Brisket

French Baguette with Artichoke and Crab Meat

Congee
Prawn Congee Accompanied by Oriental Pan-Fried Cake

Hot Pot Rice
Rice with Minced Pork Patty and Salted Egg Yolk in Hot Pot served with Clear Chicken Soup

Tea and Coffee

Breakfast

Juice Selection
Appetizer
Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Yoghurt Selection
Natural, Fruit or Low Fat Fruit Yoghurt

Cereals
Raisin Bran, Corn Flakes or Rice Crispies

Main Courses

Eggs~Freshly Scrambled, Fried or Boiled
Mini Glutinous Rice Dumpling and Dim Sum

Accompaniments
Cajun Sausage, Herb Rosti Cake, Imperial Fried Noodles, Grilles Tomato and Sauteed Fresh Mushrooms

Bread Basket
Assorted Bread, Rolls, and Fresh Toast

Tea and Coffee

Sorry this went on and on. My main point was the MRT service in HKG. I was just blown away on how simple it was to use. Also, each station had baggage carts on offer if they were needed. I hope Bangkok will follow this lead when the new airport opens. I know they are talking about having a high speed train from Bangkok to the new airport and eventually on to Pattaya.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 2:11 pm

Thanks for the wonderful report and the great menu transcripts. Did you actually do this as a TURN AROUND flight at JFK? This is fantastic and I give you a lot of credit
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:39 pm

Programs: some
Woaw, must have been a long trip. Then again, with all the caviar...
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:55 pm
Suspended

I don't know if I am understanding this correctly, but did you fly on a paid r/t F class ticket from BKK to JFK and back just for.....miles?
Old Feb 26, 2005, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sounds like a BKK-HKG-JFK-YVR routing on CX...My idea of stretching an F ticket !

Steve
Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:46 am
Original Poster

RTW4, Thanx for the credit--from you that means a lot--it was a marathon day. UA 882, No, it was not just for the miles...it was just one of those times when I needed to be in NY Friday and YVR on Saturday. I could have left Thailand a day or two earlier I guess---mai dai

Last edited by yvrguy; Feb 28, 2005 at 6:49 am
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Great report. Did the BA check-in staff have any reaction to your checking in for CX 889 just after arriving from CX 830?

I cannot believe that CX would allow CX 830 to board from a bus gate!
Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

PresRDC, The agent asked me if I was going to HKG or YVR when I approached the counter and then just smiled when she noticed where I had just come from....She was very sweet and very nice. I was shocked at the bus gate as well. I don't know if the fog problems at HKG that day played a role in that decision or not. I guess we were lucky to have a fairly ontime departure that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.