Wiki Posts
Search

Continental BF EWR-LAX/SFO-EWR Feb 2005

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Smile Continental BF EWR-LAX/SFO-EWR Feb 2005

Hi all,

Well I just flew a RT between Newark and West Coast on Continental! I decided to write a report because I wanted to praise Continental for maintaining a really high standard on its premium cabin on its transcontinental flights. I think Continental is definitely the best out there regarding to its BF service and even surpasses UA p.s. in some extents especially on in-flight catering. Of course, UA p.s. stand out because of its seats, but Continental’s food has consistently improved. There are cutbacks but minor… and the new premier bags on the way to SFO are nice additions. This report will hopefully remain basic… Here it goes…

February 13, 2005
CO 65 EWR-SFO Lv1530 Arr1830 Boeing 767-200ER N76156
I used the kiosk to check in and as usual, the BF cabin is completely full. I proceeded to the elite access line, which had no wait and I headed to the president club near my gate 135. The lounge is pretty nice with some kinds of snacks and the free wireless access is appreciated. Our flights were pretty full this afternoon, and boarding began at 2:45pm. As usual, F/As welcomed us aboard and then proceeded to hang on the coats. Pre-takeoff beverage was offered, as followed by headsets and menus. The F/As on these flights are pretty friendly especially this male F/A. He came by with beverage refills at least every forty-five minutes – not overly intrusive but maintained some presence. Door closed on time and pushed back seven minutes and following a fellow CO’s Boeing 757 N33103 to R/W4L. We took off at 3:57pm.

Flying time was five hours and twenty-nine minutes, and the flight plan took us to an initial attitude of 34,000feet towards Allentown, PA, Youngstown, Akron, South of Toledo, Ft Wayne, South Bend, Gary, Davenport, Des Moines, Omaha, and Lincoln, before climbing to 40,000feet. Then we continued onto Denver, Aspen, South of Grand Junction, Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, and the usual Ontario approach onto R/W25L.

The service began right after the seat belt sign was off. I don’t know if I will say that it is a rush service, but the first part of service seems a bit pushy – beverage and nuts, and then immediately, the appetizer and salad trays come out. There is no beverage refills like typically on AA or UA, and the F/A did not even bother to pick up the nuts separately. Well appetizer and salad are served together now, and the nuts are all cashews now. Just minor cutbacks, but I guess it is possibly due to reduction of staff on board. Here is the menu:

(EWR-LAX/OAK/PDX/SAN/SEA/SFO/SJC/SNA 514OW 203C002-2 2/05)
To Begin
Warm roasted nuts served with your preferred cocktail or beverage

Appetizer
Chilled lobster half accompanied by Du Barry sauce
Du barry is like a thousand Island dressing. The lobster is nice as usual but many people decline it. I don’t realize that so many people are allergic to shellfish or do not like lobster.

Salad
Red oakleaf and romaine lettuce with fresh asparagus, Roma tomato, Kalamata olives and feta cheese
Offered with your choice of La Flora Italian herb vinaigrette or creamy Thousand Island dressing
Very hearty salad and fresh too… no thousand Island but a peppercorn ranch is offered

Ciabatta bread, multi-grain and pretzel breadsticks and assorted rolls with butter
Sourdough bread loaves are also offered

Main Courses
Veal Chop
Pan-seared veal chop with an herb rub, enhanced by a roasted mushroom and shallot ragoût with pearl onions
Sautéed spinach with navy beans and Ratatouille
I had the veal chop, which was delicious. It was tender and the meat just tasted great. I gave a full credit to Continental.

Herbed Breast of Chicken
Presented on a bed of herbed couscous, accented by red wine sauce
Baby peas with chanterelle mushrooms and salsify & Buttered baby carrots

Grilled Shrimp
Grilled, marinated shrimp enhanced by shellfish sauce, accompanied by a grilled artichoke base filled with creamed spinach, Tomato and basil relish, and fiesta rice

Pasta Bowl
Cannelloni pasta filled with ricotta cheese and wild mushrooms, topped with Saluté sauce and oven-roasted yellow tomatoes
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese will be offered with your pasta

Dessert
Vanilla ice cream offered with your choice of toppings
No caramel is offered on this leg.

Freshly brewed Timothy's Custom Roasted Milano Blend Gourmet Coffee
Timothy's Verona Blend Decaffeinated Coffee
Tea with your choice of milk or lemon

I really like the BF experience across the continent. The PTV offered a full range of program. As usual, I watched comedies, and read for the rest of the flight. F/As were pretty attentive. Descent began at 5:58pm PST, and we landed on R/W25L at 6:26pm.

February 14, 2005
CO 349 SFO-EWR Lv1315 Arr2130 Boeing 737-800 with winglet N36280
After a short hop to SFO, it was time to head back to the rainy apple. President Club had free wireless at SFO, and the only bad thing was the solicitation table across from the lounge. It was annoying.

Boarding began on 12:46pm at gate 34, and the flight was pretty full in both F and Y. I got my beloved seat at 2A and the legroom was great. Boarding was completed at 1:06pm and we pushed back a minute later. I noted the CX 744 B-HUA arriving from HK early as well. We headed towards R/W1R. SFO was pretty quiet at this time, and our a/c waited at the runway for our rotate time. The pilot kept up updated, and at 1:22pm, the engines roared and we lifted off from a rainy day at the Bay area. Flying time was four hours and forty-three minutes, with a cruising attitude of 37,000feet. Sky map was available but was showed shortly after takeoff, between movie and Continental Vision, and that’s it.

Service was okay on this flight – one F/A was a bit cold, but the other one was warm, but both were just great F/As – serving beverage and maintaining a high level of service. Coats were hung upon boarding and full beverage was offered as well. Anyway, once again, cashews were served with our first beverage, and then the appetizer tray came. Here is the full menu transcript:

(LAX/PDX/SAN/SEA/SFO/SJC/SNA-EWR 514OW 203C007-4)
To Begin
Warm roasted nuts served with your preferred cocktail or beverage

Appetizer
Smoked Salmon with cream cheese and caviar accompanied by creamed horseradish
Of course I preferred the lobster half, but smoked salmon was okay with caviar was really more like a garnish.

Salad
Mesclun salad mix tossed with red onion rings, English cucumbers, Roma tomatoes, and a Kalamata olive
Offered with your choice of Champagne vinaigrette or blue cheese dressing
Very hearty salad and fresh again… I had the vinaigrette now.

Multi-grain and pretzel breadsticks and assorted rolls with butter
Sourdough bread loaves and French rolls are also offered

Main Courses
Grilled Steak
Grilled Sterling Silver tenderloin steak accented by red wine sauce and maitre d’hotel butter
Mashed potatoes with cheddar cheese and broccoli, buttered asparagus, and grilled red bell pepper

Surf and Turf
Grilled, marinated shrimp and Sterling Silver tenderloin of beef complemented by Cajun Hollandaise sauce
Baby Spinach sautéed with garlic, onion, and salsify, oven-roasted carrots, and Oven-roasted carrots, jicama and turnips
I had the surf and turf – delicious – four grilled shrimps with a tenderloin steak – great – sauce was a bit heavy, but still good. I highly recommend it.

Breast of Chicken
Enhanced by curry sauce, presented with apricot basmati rice
Peach and pepper chutney, and sautéed Swiss chard

Pasta Bowl
Pasta shells filled with sun-dried tomatoes and goat cheese, complemented by spicy eggplant arrabbiatta sauce, tossed with sautéed baby spinach
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese will be offered with your pasta

Dessert
Vanilla ice cream offered with your choice of toppings
Caramel is offered again.

Freshly brewed Timothy's Custom Roasted Milano Blend Gourmet Coffee
Timothy's Verona Blend Decaffeinated Coffee
Tea with your choice of milk or lemon

For entertainment, movie, “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrows” was first shown, and then Continental Vision is shown with episode of Friends and short subjects. Water was offered in mid-flight, and followed by two beverage runs. Descent began at 5:27pm/8:27pmEST, and there was some moderate turbulence on the way down due to some rain and stormy activities. We landed on R/W22L at 9:05pmEST, and I passed by a SQ’s A340-500, MH’s Boeing 777-200, BA’s Boeing 777-200, LOT’s Boeing 767, and SAS’s Airbus A330-300. Unfortunately, I could not get any registration number due to the heavy rain. Despite an earlier arrival, we had to wait for a gate. We parked at 9:19pm at gate 139.

Well, it is a good set of flight, and Continental still tops the service rank. Meals are good, and almost forget, the new premier bags were offered on flights outbound from Newark. My bag consists of a hydration mist spray, a sample of male cologne, lip palm, a paper novel, and a box of Ghiradelli’s caramel chocolate squares.

Pictures won’t be available a while, but I will post them on line once available.

Carfield
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:40 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Carfield...what a great tale across the country...

Your reports are always superb and this one made me miss CO... ^

I got so hungry just reading your menu transcripts...he he he.

Glad that you had a stellar experience.

Blessings and Mahalo to you always!
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Carfield...your reports are incredible! ^

Glad you had a stellar service...

Much aloha and healthy blessings to you...

Patrick
Old Feb 17, 2005, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Great report as always, Carfield. Continental's BF trans-con menu is the best food going over American skies.

Just curious - in all your travels, have you ever heard your fellow passengers comment positively on such a nice menu? In this fast food nation we live in, do people really appreciate how nice a service like this is in this day and age? I recently read that CO lost $363 million in 2004 and expects to post a loss for 2005. I've generally gotten the sense that while most domestic Premium Class passengers appreciate a hot meal, it's not nearly so important as fare, schedule and mileage benefits. As such, one wonders how long CO will continue to offer such a nice meal service to passengers who, for the most part, may really not care all that much? Just give 'em a choice of a nice plate of lasagna or a little fillet with some mushroom sauce and they'll be fine.

Also, does CO offer laptop plug-ins?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 18, 2005 at 7:00 am
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:11 pm

ABSOLUTELY fantastic. Thank you once again Carfield. I really want to try Continental after reading this report.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:38 am

great reading, thanks.

Would be great if you could comment a bit on the differences between the 737 and the 767 service and seat comfort, as i seems that the 767 services will not continue - am I correct??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.