LGW to MCO in Club World and FIRST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver

LGW to MCO – BA2037 – B777-200

Although the flight was not until 11:40, I had planned to meet BA97.com in the Terraces lounge briefly before his flight to Houston at 10:00. I thought the chances of both of us flying out of LGW at the same time were too good an opportunity to miss.

Consequently I arrived at LGW 08:00. The FIRST check-in desks were free and as a Gold card holder, I made full benefit of the perk. Although I had pre-assigned 10A in Club World, I was hoping for something in the FIRST cabin (although with the Club service). As feared, due to the fact I could not check-in online the previous day, everyone else had snapped up the seats as expected. Therefore I was stuck with 10A. In a way it was a good thing as it forced me to try the Club World seating as on two previous trips in Club I’ve ended up in FIRST both ways.

Although I had a FastTrack sticker on my boarding card, the utter words were a joke as the queue to go through FastTrack were nearly as long as the usual queues. The guy checking the boarding cards was not looking out for stickers from what I could tell and consequently the ‘perk’ was useless.

As the Terraces lounge at LGW is on two levels, it was 50:50 where I would find BA97.com. Fortunately I found him somewhere really obvious on the ground floor. Soon we were both on our way to the FIRST lounge upstairs. The lounge was relatively quiet although certainly not empty. During my stay I noticed a Premier card on one of the bags. It was an older card as it was navy blue with the old speedbird logo aka mid nineties most probably. After I had a couple of Ruby Grapefruit juices and a few sparkling waters it was time to bid BA97.com farewell for his flight to Houston. I spent the remainder of my time checking my email on the new computers in the lounge which are far quicker than the older ones in the Terraces lounge next door. After a bacon roll and a bowl of soup it was time to head off to the spiral in the floor otherwise known as gate 58.

Boarding had commenced when I arrived resulting in a queue throughout the jet way. In fact it took 10 minutes to reach the aircraft door due to all the push chairs having to be folded, etc. Once onboard, 10A was only a few steps away. However, once I settled into the seat the first aspect which is notable is the slight feeling of claustrophobia and I don’t consider myself someone who feels claustrophobic nomally. Furthermore, there is no window actually in line with seat at 10A, it’s more in line with the divider. If you sit back in the seat when upright, if you look to the right you would see a wall. Maybe a note needs to be made in the otherwise excellent seatguru.com chart.

Club World was completely full on the flight however I did suspect it wasn’t the usual crowd as it was clearly a novelty to some the way people were gathering in groups ‘to watch and look’ at each other.

Orange juice and water was distributed and I noticed a number of the crew stating to passengers that Champagne would be available pre-flight in the near future. The usual announcements were made and the flight would be an hour shorter than scheduled as the head winds were light which I thought was unusual for this time of year. Wash bags were distributed, filled with the usual Molton Brown potions, all enclosed in a rather smart black and almost fluorescent blue lining. Sadly not as nice as the Anya bags I received in FIRST last year.

This was my first time flying backwards which certainly gives a good view of the wing. The only unusual aspect is the forces on the body are completely reversed (move forward slightly during initial force of takeoff rather than pushed back into the seat).

Once airborne and climbing to cruise altitude, Menu’s were distubuted. Lunch would be the following:

Lunch

Appertisers

Bradan Orach smoked salmon with lemon
Or
Goat cheese and butternut squash terrine with chilli jam

Fresh seasonal salad served with vinaigrette

Main courses

A traditional cottage pie of prime minced beef with rich gravy topped wih olive oil mashed potatoes

Vineet Bhatia’s tandorri chicken makhanwala with tomato sauce, stir-fried spinach and masala saffron rice

Roast vegetable lasagne with red pepper coulis

Michel Roux’s main course salad of prawns and tabouleh

Dessert

Ruby orange and chocolate timbale

Shrophire Blue, Worcester Gold and St-Nectaire cheese

Fresh Fruit

Coffee, decaffeinated coffee or tea

Selection of herbal teas

Wine List

Champagne

Charles Heidsieck Mis En Cave 2000

White Wine

Jekel Gravelstone Chardonnay 2002, Monterey County

Pouilly-Fuisse 2002, Marie-Louise Parisot

Red Wine

Gordon Brothers Merlot 2001, Columbia Valley

Chateau de Gaillat 2001, Graves

Chateau Verdignan 1999, Cru Bourgeois

I thought the menu was quite good, if nothing special. I opted for the Salmon, followed by the cottage pie (as it has received good reports in the BA forum) and the Ruby orange and chocolate timbale.

However, the crew initially only wanted to know our main course selections. Interestingly, sitting backwards facing the whole cabin, I noticed the crew asking selected members of the cabin first rather than simply walking up and down each row. I was asked first along with my opponent in 10B (for those of you wondering… ).

Around 30 minutes into the flight, drinks from the bar were on offer. I opted for the Champagne. What I did think a little odd (which continued throughout the flight) was the way the drink was served. When I asked for Champagne, when the crew member pushed back the divider it was served with a rather grand ceremony stating ‘Mr Flyclub, as requested, a glass of Charles Heidsieck Mis En Cave 2000 for you sir’. Likewise with the wine, the full name was read out each time although thankfully not on refill’s. A nice touch in a way, although came across in a slightly condescending way at first as if I was unsure what I had ordered.

My diary personal diary was lagging so before the meal I used the time to bring it up to date, keeping an eye on our progress on the moving map.

It was soon clear than the divider between the seats needed to be kept open if the meal service was going to work, otherwise it seemed impossible for the crew to serve me anything. However, it worked out fortuitous as the gentleman in 10B was actually rather interesting and I spent most of the flight talking to him over a few glasses of Champagne followed by Red wine after the meal.

Soon the meal service started. The salmon was rather good although the salad a bit bland, although the excellent dressing certainly helped. The main course cottage pie was really good. The mashed potato topping was excellent. In fact the whole dish only seemed to differ from a Shephard’s pie due to the presence of green beans within the mince. However, I did think the dish it was served upon looked like something out of a ‘LittleTikes’ kitchen set…. I switched from the Champagne at this point to the rather pleasant Chateau de Gaillat 2001, Graves although would have preferred the Chateau Verdignan 1999, Cru Bourgeois however none had been loaded at Gatwick. The Ruby orange and chocolate timbale dessert was very good. However, the whole meal service was very similar to what I have received in Club Europe recently, although the entrée dishes are nicer in Club Europe rather than the blue plasticky looking things I received in Club World. Furthermore the desert and certainly the salad were very similar to something I had in Club Europe not too long ago. Even the glasses they use in Club World are the same as Club Europe. It’s a pity they don’t offer the charming photography cups in Club World, the white ones are OK though not as nice as the Club Europe cups.

At this point I think it is important to comment on the drinks shelf in Club. Although the divider hides your opponent from you quite well, I was literally milliseconds away from ruining my Armani suit trousers at one point. The positioning of the drinks shelf couldn’t be worse. The divider was up at one point. I went to reach for my red wine and no sooner had I picked it up had my opponent in 10B poked a clenched fist through the space as he was stretching ready to sleep. If my wine was till on the shelf, he would have inadvertently knocked it completely off onto my legs beneath!!!! Anyone else had this happen in the five years the cabin has existed?

After a satisfying meal, I decided to get some sleep. I extended the seat flat and with the help of a pillow, managed to sleep quite well. Being 6ft tall, the length was just enough apart from fully stretched out. Although as the seat back in front curved, I found I could poke my legs slightly down the side of the seat and the cabin wall and lie slightly diagonally.

When I awoke, there was only 90 minutes remaining. Afternoon tea consisted of the following:

Afternoon tea

Sandwiches of hot smoked salmon with horseradish mayonnaise and mature Cheddar cheese with balsamic onion chutney
or
Sandwiches of coronation chicken with rocket and Boursin chesse with roast vegetables

Warm fruit scones served with Cornish clotted cream and strawberry preserve

Cherry and sultana fruit cake

Lemon meringue tart

Tea, coffee or decaffeinated coffee

Selection of herbal teas

Although the sandwiches sounded nice, I opted for just the scones as I still felt quite full from lunch plus all the Champagne and Red wine. The scones were very good and this was something which reminded me of many flights back from Geneva to Heathrow in Club Europe.

Soon were starting our decent over the Cape Canaveral area, although cloud cover prevented any chance of spotting the shuttle launch site. Landing was uneventful and I was soon on my way to complete the usual formalities.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
MCO to LGW – BA2036 – B777-200

After a couple of relaxing days in the Floridian sunshine, it was time to return home. I missed out on a seat in the FIRST section on the outbound flight and therefore was eager to try and secure one going home. However yet again I was not able to check in for the flight being greeted with the words ‘Flight temporarily unavailable. Try later’. However even at four hours before the flight, the words greeted me again online. Therefore I gave up and proceeded to the airport as normal.

Orlando (MCO) is quite a nice airport in my opinion, far nicer than LAX, for example, then again that’s not difficult….. There was no queue for Club World. It was nice to see BA had made an effort to have separate lane ropes for Club and Traveller clearly marked, something which I found lacking in PHX for example. I was most interested to see what seat I had been allocated. I knew I had reserved 11F many weeks ago in Club World. Fortunately, the check-in lady informed they had pre-assigned 2F in the FIRST section. Great! In fact this is probably one of the few occasions my Gold card has actually been useful. After all, they couldn’t put all Club World passengers in FIRST, they had to use something to discriminate surely?

Having flown to Orlando many times, I knew about the Delta Crown room. However flying First Class on Delta doesn’t automatically gain you access and consequently I had never visited the facility. There is a severe lack of Lounges at Orlando – certainly no OneWorld lounges. Therefore BA Club passengers are welcomed to use the Delta Crown room situated near the gates which are shared with Delta. Once I caught the train to the satellite terminal, I went straight to the lounge, accessed by an elevator. I was certainly surprised by the shear size of the lounge and it was quite busy. It varied from the Admirals Club’s in that you don’t need vouchers at the bar to get a drink which is far more sensible and more in line with BA’s offering apart from you don’t serve yourself. It was certainly a very pleasant area to spend the two hours I had before my flight.

The flight was called in the lounge and the gate only a five minute walk away. Boarding commenced as I arrived. Club World boarded first and I was surprised at how many people were in Club, easily around 50-60 people.

For some reason I thought 2F was a window seat in FIRST however, I soon discovered it was one in the middle section. I had not sat in the middle of FIRST before, so at least it was something new to try.

Water and Orange juice was offered, I had a water. The wash bags were given out and I noticed the bags had changed colour from the fluorescent blue to a more dark blue colour, maybe to reflect the night timing of the flight?

All seats in FIRST were occupied. I seemed to be surrounded by golfers, either there was a golfing convention of some kind in Orlando or a mass group vacation as they all seemed to know each other. Furthermore, friends of their’s back in the Club World section came up front during the flight to look at the FIRST seats….. I thought it was most amusing when the purser made the announcements regarding who was looking after each cabin as were pushing back. ‘Today in our forward Club World cabin…..’ rather than saying the FIRST section obviously…

We pushed back at around 1840 local time and were soon heading in an Easterly direction towards Cape Canaveral to embark on our transatlantic crossing. Menu’s were distributed shortly after take-off and the purser introduced herself to each of us in the cabin. Something which didn’t occur on the outbound and was very similar to the kind of welcome given in FIRST.

The menu for Dinner was as follows:

Dinner

Appertisers

Lobster mayonnaise salad
Or
Roast peppers and artichoke antipasti

Fresh seasonal salad served with vinaigrette

Main courses

Surf and Turf of grilled fillet steak and prawns, green beans and baked jacket potato souffle

Herb-roasted breast of chicken, mediterranen vegetables and white wine risotto

Main course tandorri prawn salad

Dessert

Cherry almond tart
Selection of cheese

Fresh fruit

Selection of herbal teas

I opted for the Lobster mayonnaise salad, followed by the ‘Surf and Turf’ with the Cherry almond tart to finish. Once again the entrees were requested at the start of the flight although this time the taking of orders were more usual rather than looking up individual people on the manifest.

To drink I decided to stick with Champagne throughout the evening aided by Sparkling water. They still didn’t have the Chateau Verdignan 1999, Cru Bourgeois red wine. The wine list was identical to the outbound earlier in the week. The wine was given to me on this occasion in a more usual manor rather than a grand ceremony as on the outbound.

The seating in FIRST is certainly more comfortable than Club World. However one of the biggest bonuses is the adjustable leg rest which seems to have been lost in Club World in favour of the foot stool. When in a sitting position for eating or watching the PTV, having some support behind the legs is great and something lacking in Club World. Furthermore the padding of the seats in FIRST is far better, although recent posts in the BA forum suggest this is being addressed by the 2nd generation of improvements to NCW currently being introduced. However, one downside of FIRST especially in the middle section is the lack of places to put personal belongings like glasses cases, etc. All the magazine racks, etc, in the middle section are rigid affairs with no movement at all, unlike the base magazine rack in each suite of the side seats. At least I had somewhere sensible to put my Champagne glass with no risk of my neighbour knocking it all over me.

The meal service commenced soon after drinks and it was nice to open up the large walnut table again from the side unit. The lobster salad was excellent; the side salad was identical to the way out, although the addition of carrot improved the dish up slightly. However, the best part of the meal was the ‘Surf and Turf’. Easily the best steak I’ve had in the air for years being perfectly cooked (appeared Medium). The half baked potato with butter and cheese was excellent and the shrimp tender. Highly recommended. The dessert was average with the cake being slightly dry although the custard was nice. I also opted for some white grapes as I finished off the Champagne.

The moving map showed only 5 hours remaining, so after a quick decaffeinated coffee, I reclined the seat into its fully horizontal position. The added width and length of the FIRST seat is apparent however the difference between Club World is not terrifically great. Only tall people would mainly be able to tell the difference. However, the seat acts as a more comfortable mattress for sleeping. Although I did miss the duvet and sleeper suit….

As before in a FIRST seat, I slept very well waking with just over an hour remaining south of Ireland. Wind noise and engine noise is far less up front in comparison to just in front of the engines at row 10. Consequently with Club World being situated up front on 3 cabin aircraft, it is worth noting.

Continental breakfast

Orange juice and ruby grapefruit juice

Our special wake-up energising smoothie

Fresh seasonal fruit
Or
Cereal with fresh milt

Hot Bacon rolls
Or
Cheese and black pepper savouries

Selection of breakfast pastries

Selection of herbal teas

I was happy to receive the Breakfast offerings although some people did sleep through until landing. I mainly had the croissant and fruit and skipped on the Bacon Rolls. However, I did have two glasses of the delightful Ruby Grapefruit juice.

As we made our approach into LGW, it was starting to get light. Our arrival was uneventful and I was soon on my way to the arrivals lounge on the seventh floor of the Le Meridien Hotel.

In Summary

Service was faultless on both legs of the journey. Seating in FIRST is certainly more comfortable than in Club World, particularly when seated upright due to the aspect of more support for the legs. Furthermore, access to the aisle without having to climb over anyone is good. In fact 10B is probably better than 10A as the window is line with the person’s field of view plus they get easy access to the aisle and wouldn’t feel as claustrophobic. However small touches such as the large table in FIRST and deep pile carpet under the feet augment the experience up front and differentiate it from Club.

Consequently, I think in future I will probably mix the cabins, flying in Club World overnight and FIRST on the outbound largely because I sleep so well in either seat and therefore appreciate the good seating position, food and drink more in FIRST on the outbound.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Even though you flew out in Club World, your report was totally First Class! From your photos, the First Class crockery looks quite a bit different than what I recently experienced in the 747-400 flights. I wonder if it's new crockery or if it's unique to the 777? Thanks also for those menu transcripts and photos. Bravo! ^ ^
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Great report!

Looking forward to my next CW trip next month, alas not with mini-mini screens, or the climbing over the neighbour factor and use of Delta Crown Room (should be Delta Living Room! how terribly suburban looking!). I try to avoid the 777 in CW as much as possible except if the option of getting a seat in F is possible

Not sure why they didn't pre-assign you F on the outbound, to be honest I can't see there being 14 Gold flying to Orlando

Originally Posted by Seat2A
From your photos, the First Class crockery looks quite a bit different than what I recently experienced in the 747-400 flights. I wonder if it's new crockery or if it's unique to the 777?
That's because it is Club World crockery / tupperware! The planes that usually fly to Orlando are not equipped with or sold with First although these aircraft are currently being refurbished so planes with First are being substituted. As First isn't being sold on the flights they tend to move higher priority folks booked in Club World up into the first few rows.

Last edited by fbgdavidson; Feb 3, 2005 at 9:48 am
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Nice one, matey. I have to be careful to avoid the windowless seat too; I was in 12A DFW-LGW a couple of weeks ago and that lacks a window because of a wing support.

My flight to Houston was uneventful, in WT+ with an adjacent empty seat...although I would rather have been on the flight to Dallas where I was booked! Not only were some folk moved to the AA flight, others were moved to the Houston flight and upgraded from WT _and_ were given a free connection to DFW (I had to buy mine). Heads will roll!
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Great report. I enjoyed reading it.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Great report.

In fact it is so much like our recent trip to ANU I could cut and paste it into a new trip report, change a few airport names and meal choices, switch Club to the return and FIRST to the outbound and robert's your father's brother.

Good stuff!
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:27 am
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Good Report.

I am off to TPA in NCW on 19/2, quite looking forward to it now. As there are 5 of us travelling had to book row 12 on outbound and row 14 on Inbound. Odd thing is accoerding to seat expert club only goes up to row 12. As the planes have just been dusked is it a new layout?
Old Feb 4, 2005, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by obs
Good Report.

I am off to TPA in NCW on 19/2, quite looking forward to it now. As there are 5 of us travelling had to book row 12 on outbound and row 14 on Inbound. Odd thing is accoerding to seat expert club only goes up to row 12. As the planes have just been dusked is it a new layout?
The new three class layout has CLub from row 1-4 and 10-11, WT+ from 12-14 and the rest is WT.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA, HA regular member, HH, HGP, SPG, Prince Preferred, Budget Fast Break
Got Golf?

Hi ya,
the reason why you had so many golfers on your flight is that the annual PGA Merchandise show was held in MCO Jan. 27-30, so you caught them all going back across the pond. Interesting observation on your part. Great trip report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.