Search

Lan Chile LAX-SCL first class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2005, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Lan Chile LAX-SCL first class

TRIP REPORT LAX-SCL Lan Chile 601 First Class

Arrival at LAX
As usual the TBIT was quite a zoo. There were flights to NRT, BKK, PPT, ICN and MEX taking off all at the same time. It was so exciting to see all the flights to all parts of world taking off at the same time. I really think that is part of the thrill of travel. Who knows? Maybe there were several FT at LAX flying at the same time that I was.
Went to the first class line where there was no wait at all. Quite a pleasure. I checked in and immediately was given a pass to the LAN CHILE first class lounge which is used with QF business class lounge. Usual selection of drinks and snacks were available including pear tarts, cheese and crackers but nothing more substantial. Lounge was shared by BA, QF, LX and AA. Then we all were ushered to gate 119. Sometimes I have had to take a bus to the LAN plane. Not today.
Immediately I entered the 767-300. First class was one row of 5 seats only . I had the middle solo seat pre selected but since the two seats next to me were empty, I occupied the window seats. On my seat were two canapés of shrimp and cream cheese. This was served with a diet coke and lemon. Very nice way to start our mini RTW.

Menu
APPETIZER CART
Ossetra Malossol Caviar from the Caspian Sea served with toast points, blinis and sour cream
Salmon and cream cheese rolls served atop tender greens
Maine Lobster steamed in dill, served with lemon mayonnaise
Beef brochettes served warm with mustard sauce

OUR SALAD CART

A LA CARTE SERVICE

COMFORTING SOUP
Simply Delicious
Cream of fresh potato and leek soup topped with herbed croutons

WARM DISHES
Grilled Fillet of Beef
Grilled filet of beef medallion served with caramelized shallot and red wine sauce accompanied with sweet potato mash and steamed asparagus

Saffron Shrimp
Shrimp in saffron sauce served with rice in coconut mile and steamed vegetables

Tortellini
Traditional pasta dish, filled with mushrooms topped with fresh tomato sauce, basil and Parmesan cheese

FROM THE BAKERY
CHEESE and FRUIT

OUR DESSERT
Lemon Mousse
Raspberry Sorbet

COFFEE and TEA

OPEN BAR and CHOCOLATES

SNACK
FOIE GRAS
Truffled Foie Gras from Perigord served with Melba toast

FRESH GARDEN SALAD
SEARED SALMON
CURRIED CHICKEN BREAST

CHEESE AND FRUIT

OUR DESSERT
Sweet Potato Pie

COFFEE and TEA

BREAKFAST
TO START
Juices and Fruit
Fresh Orange Juice and a selection of fresh seasonal fruit, yoghurt and cereals.
Coffee and Tea

WARM ENTREES
Egg dish
Fluffy mushroom omelette served with grilled bacon and Lyonnaise potatoes
Sweet dish
Crepes filled with with sweet ricotta cheese, topped with pineapple compote
Warm breakfast sandwich
Create your own sandwich choosing from the following ingredients
Corn bread, Croissant, Oat Roll
Kassler loin, Ham, Mozzarella Cheese, Emmenthal Cheese
Bread Basket

As you can see there was a tremendous amount of food to be had. The 767-300 stopped in Lima on the way to SCL, and the first class section was full from LIM-SCL. However all 5 of us slept the 3 hour flight away and NOT ONE of us ordered the fabulous breakfast. The first class section was extremely quiet. Duvets were provided and oversized pillows were given out. There are no PJs given from LAN, but the rest of the service was sensational. The IFE was AVOD, although selections were very limited. I had brought my own DVD selection and this kept myself quite busy.
I have heard from the staff that LA is strongly considering doing away with F class on the LAX-SCL route…so for those of you who have not tried the service go for it. Until next time…
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:49 pm

Programs: some
Thanks for the report. Will you also describe the return/next flight(s)?
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RTW4
I have heard from the staff that LA is strongly considering doing away with F class on the LAX-SCL route…so for those of you who have not tried the service go for it. Until next time…
Say it ain't so!

LAN First Class on LAX-SCL is the greatest fligtht ever. I have now done it twice and plan my AONE5s around that flight. As I do not plan on doing another one until 2006, I might miss out.

Great report! Where are you off to now?
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
What a delectable report !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:33 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Thanks for an excellent report!
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:56 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Lovely report. Definitely beats my experience on DL from Atl to SCL in BE. Also, how about a mention of the LanChile lounge in SCL. I think it is one of the world's best lounges.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Mmmm Mmm! You're making me hungry. I'm going to have to go out and fly Lan Chile again soon!
Old Feb 8, 2005, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Also, how about a mention of the LanChile lounge in SCL. I think it is one of the world's best lounges.
FWIW (and it may well be worth nothing), I find LAN's SCL Lounge to be the most overrated lounge to which I have ever been.

First, the chairs, while perhaps stylish, are not at all comfortable. They are not plush. You cannot sink into them. They are really not at all comfortable.

Second, the lounge is always crowded in the early morning and late evening.

Third, the smoking section is not really all that separate and, as a result, the whole lounge has a faintly smoky smell to it. Nothing too overpowering, but definately not very pleasant.

Fourth, the food offerings, while better than any domestic U.S. lounge, are not special. There are no hot options. Because it is crowded, the food often looks picked over.

Fifth, it offers virtually no views as it is located below the departures floor and its outside view is blocked by the access ramps leading to the jetways. Of course, this is not LAN's fault, but it does detract from the lounge. CX's "The Pier" suffers from much the same problem.

That said, there are some positives.

First, the lounge staff are quite nice. They were able to get me a seat in the F section on an A340 SCL-EZE flight a while back., which I appreciated.

Second, it does have showers, although they are really quite average.

IMO (and no, I am not on drugs), the Admirals Club is a much nicer place to relax preflight. It is much less crowded (at least before the JFK-SCL flight -- it probably fills-up later when the AA DFW and MIA flights depart). It also offers a nice food spread, especially when you consider that it is an Admirals Club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.