Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My "Big Treat" LHR-SIN-NRT-AKL-LAX-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

My "Big Treat" LHR-SIN-NRT-AKL-LAX-LHR on SQ,NZ and UA

Well, this is my first attempt at a trip report, so bear with me. I am a lurker on the FT boards and I would love to thank many of you – Ozstamps (Glen), Skiadcock (Sharon), fgbdavdison, NZFlyboy plus more for many hours of happy reading. You have all taught me a huge amount, and I am very, very grateful. Thanks everyone!

So, to set the scene: I found myself working like a Trojan 2002-2004 to complete my masters in Human Resource Management. I didn’t realise how hard it would be doing it part time and holding down my job. However, I am pleased to say: done! This is my treat for spending two years as a hermit….so hold on to your hats people, here we go:

---
16 Dec 04 - London
I thought I would try an experiment. I set my watch to SIN time just as I quit work (for 5 weeks, yeah!) on 15 Dec. So, I took a melatonin and slumbered deep, dreaming of the exciting things I would be doing, at 6pm London time. Woke up at 2am on 16 Dec anticipating the travels ahead. Worked so far!

Heathrow was, as always, a zoo. My flight was scheduled for 11am and I checked in at 7.30am – yet there was only one aisle seat left on the flight. Ugh, the thought of being stuck in a middle seat (no windows were available either) filled me with horrors. Still, I bagged 44G so I was happy. I’d tried to check in on the internet 48 hours before but for some reason the system didn’t like me, so I was lucky to get my aisle. The check in and ground staff were lovely (though Aviance staff, which I didn’t expect, doesn’t SQ employ its own staff at LHR? A sign of the times I guess) and could not have been nicer. Being naïve, I had checked on the internet to find that only one piece of cabin baggage is allowed on SQ. Panic! I shoved my laptop in (my now very heavy) cabin baggage and hoped for the best. Sharon, my delightful check in agent, weighed my carry on and said it was over the weight limit, but as soon as I said that I had a laptop she was fine and explained that laptops are not part of the formal allowance quota. I suggested that I could purchase another laptop case but Sharon, bless her, was having none of it. She saw no reason why I should spend more money and advised me not to put my carry on in the overhead locker. What a sweetheart. I did end up buying another laptop case – in Dixons duty free – and it is a backpack type and a snip (GBP20) which put my mind at rest given the plethora of flights I will be enjoying(?) over the next few weeks.

I travel a lot (usually on BMI – have spent the last three weekends in Milan, Alicante and Naples) so I am used to the general confusion of LHR but I had forgotten just how manic T3 is. Lordy me, crowds and I just don’t go together.

I met a lovely family at the gate. On their way to Brisbane, with just a 2 hour stop in SIN. However, they had already drunk their duty free so were well on their way! A super group though, and the children were a delight. I can imagine some thick heads by the time they reach SIN though.

---
16 Dec 2004 LHRSIN SQ317.
Ye gads, chatting on the phone I nearly ended up in San Francisco! Wrong line, wrong gate, wrong airline. That will teach me to pay attention. I eventually negotiated my way to the SQ desk (again, staffed by Aviance) and then the gate. Being the chatty person that I am, I tried to strike up a conversation with a gentleman sitting next to me. I asked him if he was going home for Christmas being of, I think, Chinese extraction to which he replied “No, I am being deported from the UK for being illegal.” Very rare that I am lost for words, but what do you say to that?

Boarding was the usual – everyone ignoring the rules and a free for all. Thankfully the Aviance team enforced the rules and sent the usurpers back from whence they came. I boarded about 15 minutes after the first call for First and Raffles class (ah, I can dream…), and soon found my seat – with loads of overhead room for my goods and chattels. OK, I am off on my big treat!

SQ – never flown them before and what a difference to my usual BM and UA. Having a drink poured from the bar, as opposed to a miniature flung at you with a tiny mixer, was a real experience.

The one thing that amazed me – being an aisle creature - is the lack of Hip Clip. Anyone who regularly sits in the aisle will know what I mean. That annoying habit of the cabin crews’ hips clipping your seat and disturbing your flight. BMI is particularly bad on this although my worst experience was a LAX-AKL flight with, how shall I put it, the more senior of UA crew who did not seem able to make it down an aisle without managing to knock every seat going. I wonder if they have chafe marks for doing this? Perhaps they Vaseline their hips?

Anyway, I digress. My crew for this flight, Miss Ting and Miss Chen with their tiny waists would just slide by the cart to get through and still not disturb anyone. Is it that the SQ aisles are wider? My learned FT colleagues will know better than I, and I seem to recall that 747s used to be 3-5-3, whereas SQ is 3-4-3 so maybe that helps.

I will now, in the time honoured FT tradition, transpose the menu from the 16 December SQ317:

---
Welcome aboard Singapore Airlines. We are delighted to have you with us on this flight.

We are pleased to offer you World Gourmet Cuisine which includes a selection of dishes specially prepared by our own chefs.

Naturally, we begin with only the finest quality produce. To ensure authentic Asian flavours, the appropriate seasonings, herbs and spices are added. Our Western cuisine reflects a light, modern touch.

Lunch

Appetiser
Spiral pasta with turkey

Main courses
Chicken with lemon and rosemary, carrot, snap peas and potato puree
OR
Char siew rice
Chinese barbequeued pork with steamed rice and leafy greens

Cheese
Cheese and crackers

Dessert
Ice cream

From the bakery
Roll and butter

Hot beverages
Coffee – tea

---
The appetiser was scary. The turkey was cubed – nothing like I have ever seen before – and certainly didn’t look natural. Tasted OK although a little bland. However, the main (I chose the Char siew) was delicious (pork on a plane? How daring of me. I was an avid reader of Arthur Haley’s novels so was a tad wary. Still, there's an R in the month and I figured if it is good enough for the Singaporeans it must be OK) and I would have gone for seconds had there been any. Loved the warmed bread rolls they served, not used to that in Y. I enjoyed the cheese and biscuits with a glass of port, but passed on the ice cream. Even though it was Cadbury’s I just can’t cope with the sugar shot.

---
Entertainment
Loved the AVOD on SQ. Watched a couple of comedies, plus The Bourne Identity. Matt Damon was good in this, and I loved being able to pause it so that I could wander (as is my habit). I shall watch The Bourne Supremacy on my trip to NRT. Managed, through a combination of melatonin and 5-HTP to get some decent sleep. I used my (cheap) Phillips noise cancelling headphones and they definitely made a difference. Of course now I want to upgrade them. Is it cheaper in SIN or NRT I wonder? I have my eye on the Sennheisers…. Advice please!

Throughout the flight the crew were on hand, serving filled rolls, egg noodles and as many drinks as you liked. I skipped most of it although did have a turkey and coleslaw roll. I managed to get through my 2 litres of water which I brought with me, so was pretty well hydrated.

---
Breakfast
How do I describe it? One word: revolting. Once again (as is my habit) I made the mistake of going for an omelette for breakfast - gross. Eggs just don't travel well in the air. I don't know why I chose it. Never again! I'll choose the oriental option on my flight to Tokyo. Anyway, here’s the menu:

Fruit
Fruit appetiser

Light starter
Cereal

Wholesome beginnings
Rice vermicelli with chicken and vegetables
OR
Omelette with baked beans, grilled tomato and potatoes

From the bakery
Breakfast roll, butter – fruit preserve

Hot beverages
Coffee – tea

---
We arrived as scheduled at 7.30am, and offloading was an efficient and fast affair as one would expect in Singapore. Changi is an amazing airport and I intend on getting there very early for my next flight. A quick taxi ride into the city (passing, I noted with delight, a skate through McDonald’s!) and I was at my hotel – the M Hotel on Anson Road.

---
Hotel
What a lovely place. My room, on the 24th floor, has great views and it is from here I write this first instalment in my trip report. Managed to catch some Zs, then called around the world on Skype. I had a wander around the city, delighting in getting soaked in a major thunderstorm, then retired early for bed as I am taking a tour of the city tomorrow.

So here endeth part one. I am off to Tokyo on 19 Dec, then Auckland on 21 Dec. Being a lowly 2P on UA MP doesn’t offer much, but I do have Star standby upgrade vouchers and, according to www.flyaow.com, the flight is not full so I may be in with chance. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Cheers to one and all, and thanks again for all your advice.

Last edited by ecco66; Dec 19, 2004 at 6:46 am
Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Good report . . . very enjoyable read.

Is this an Around the World ticket? Seems like it due to the route.

I did a RTW after finishing law school and enjoyed the experience. I'm happy you got the treat yourself this way. After working full time and going to school, you no doubt deserve it.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Yes, PresRDC, this is a YRWSTAR1 ticket which was always my game plan. I'm glad I am not the only one to use a trip as motivation for studies!! Thanks for the feedback.

As you may guess, I am up in the wee small hours at SIN time so my total avoidance of jet lad hasn't worked as well as I'd hoped but still it's better than I have experienced in the past!

Cheers
Old Dec 17, 2004, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA GLD
An excellent read! And wonderful diversion for those of us sitting at our desks waiting for the phone to ring ...

Keep up the good work ... and good luck on the upgrade!
Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
First Trip Report? Coulda fooled me! You're off to a fine start, ecco66, and I look forward to reading about the rest of your journey.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 7:24 am
Original Poster

My day in SIN

Thanks, sftrvlr and Seat 2Afor such positive responses! As I mentioned, I have lurked for a long while on FT and have enjoyed all the trip reports so I wanted to attempt to give something back to the FT community!

Righty ho, here goes with my little adventure in SIN:

---
Singapore

As you may have gathered from my last post, my jetlag avoidance plan does have some flaws. Woke up at 3.45am local, though it wasn’t too much of a bother as I felt very rested. Took myself off for a wander around the area surrounding the hotel – very quiet at that time but as I didn’t really know what to expect it was no bother.

I returned and showered (for what must have been the 8th time) it was time for breakfast. After copious bowing to all the Japanese guests who joined the lift from lower floors it was time to hit the restaurant.

Following my dreadful experience with the SQ omelette I steered clear of the western breakfast and instead had chicken curry with Hong Kong fried rice. Wow, it was hot and spicy and certainly woke my tastebuds up! Had a nice chat with Glen, an Australian businessman who regaled some marvellous tales of his travels.

Then it was time for my city tour. Spot on at 8.30 I was collected from the lobby by the delightful Mr Kiew in his little minibus. I was joined by an Australian couple – Merv and Alma – who were in SIN for the day before taking their cruise to Bali and Freemantle. Sounded like an amazing trip which of course now has my (somewhat feverish) imagination planning my next adventure. We joined the bus tour at some shopping mall (I didn’t get the name). The tour took us to lots of fascinating places, my favourite being the Botanical Gardens and especially the Orchid Garden.

Our guide, Abdullah, was a real laugh and told us some fascinating facts about Singapore – such as the fact you have to seek permission and pay a hefty fee to keep a car if it is over 10 years old! He waxed lyrical about the President, Mr Lee and explained the Singapore concept of “controlled democracy”. It actually took me back to my first trip to Soviet Russia under Brezhnev but that is where the comparison ends. Singapore is nothing like it was in Russia in those days. It was almost sad to end the tour, which dropped us off in Little India.

Now, coming from west London, Little India was no biggie for me as I regularly pop into Southall for all my spices but I did pick up an enormous pot of saffron for S$6 – a complete bargain by UK standards. Another thunder shower hit us so I nipped into a supermarket until it passed. It was slightly surreal to be in 82 degree heat, 90% humidity and surrounded by all the typically Chinese goods to have “Let It Snow, Let It Snow” and “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas” piped in over the speakers. Still, it made for a cheerful experience and I cast my mind back to all the miserable, cold weather I am avoiding in the UK.

I came back to the hotel and once again tried SQ internet check in. It liked me! However, I was faced with a quandary. No aisle seats! Eek, decisions decisions. So I bagged 33A thinking I will at least have a view on my way to NRT. Not sure how I will cope, but be assured I will let you know. According to flyaow.com, the flight is full (though the UA is showing wide open – mind you at 7.20am departure am I surprised?). I may try and change it for an aisle at Changi. Not sure yet, I am still weighing it up (that’s the Libra in me).

By this point I was flagging so I caught some more Zs, but only a 45 minute nap. Maybe I am recovering quicker than I thought?

I awoke, took yet another shower and then was ready for dinner. Found a wonderful place on Tanjong Pagar Road and enjoyed dim sum, ribs and chicken curry (again) washed down with a Tiger Beer.

I returned to the hotel and decided to have another beer in the bar. A young waiter, who looked decidedly uncomfortable, greeted me. What was wrong? After I ordered my beer he said “sir, your zipper...”, looking directly at my crotch with a very embarrassed expression. Holy mole, I was flying low without a licence. I knew this zipper was temperamental but of course at home you can always tell by being caught in a downdraft – however in the humid and hot conditions here I had no idea. I wonder how long I had been like that? Actually, I don’t even want to consider it. Of course in Singapore there is probably a fine for something like that – they seem to fine you for every transgression here. The M Hotel is wonderful for people watching and I got a great kick out of seeing all the Singaporeans out on a Saturday night – I guess that’s the same anywhere in the world.

My flight leaves at 9.20 tomorrow so I plan on being up by around 5.30, so that I can get myself sorted and at Changi in time to look around properly. I can feel those Sennheisers calling me……

Until Tokyo, cheers one and all!
Old Dec 18, 2004, 7:41 am

Keep up the great report. I'm looking forward to your adventures.
Rita
Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:57 am
Original Poster

An odd day...

Thank you Rita! I have to say that the great feedback is just tremendous and I am glad you are enjoying my report. I am now ensconced in Tokyo (well, after a little hiccup) and here's how I got here:

From Singapore to Tokyo

Woke up to my alarm at 5.30 feeling very cold. Did I leave the AC on too high? Nope, as I pulled myself out of bed I realised I had developed a head cold overnight. Oh joy! Still, I was not going to let some pesky common cold get the better of me, so after a long shower and four steaming cups of green tea I began to feel a little more human. Popped an Echinacea plus a vit C, which always seems to knock any cold on the head pretty rapidly.

As I arrived to check out Ms Yuan at the desk said “oh Mr ecco66, you look like you have a very heavy cold”. Great, so I look rough too!

A swift taxi ride had me at Changi by 7.30. I figured with a cold an aisle seat would be better as the pressure changes in the cabin always seem worse to me by the window but it was not to be. No can do. Not to worry.

I was sweating profusely as I wended my way to departures. Lovely, so now I look like a right dodgy character. I thought I might be pulled to secondary but no one took much notice.

Remember that guy who has been stuck at CDG for years due to being stateless (as in the film The Terminal)? Well he would have been wise to have chosen Changi. A delightful airport. Picked up some Chinese cold and flu pills (just in case) and then spotted a Vicks Inhaler. Fab! That will keep my passages clear. A wrong move, as you will find out later.

Boarding was prompt – SQ12 goes on from NRT to LAX so there was a wide range of people at the gate. I cast my eye around, wondering who my seat mates would be.

OK, I confess now that as soon as the gate agent’s back was turned I sneaked through even though they were calling rows in the 50s (I was 33A). Not the British way I know and my mother would heartily disapprove but heck, I needed to get settled.

It took a long while before 33B was taken. A very nice chap from Bangalore was on his way to Tokyo on business. He had that lovely Indian habit of shaking his head from side to side slightly as he talked - just like a couple of my friends back home. I don’t know what it is, but I get a real kick out of it.

The Goddess Aisla was smiling on me. Doors closed – and no one in 33C! My seat mate wanted a window anyway to sleep, so a quick hokey cokey and we were just where we wanted to be.

Take off was smooth and the seat belt signs were soon off. My crew for this section were Miss Chen and Miss Lim. Although I didn’t think it was possible, the were even slimmer than my previous flight so no worries about Hip Clip on this sector.

It wasn’t long before the menus were distributed and I looked forward to a good tuck in (feed a cold and all that…). Here we go people:

---
Brunch from Singapore to Tokyo

Fruit
Fruit appetiser

Wholesome beginnings
Simmered fish with sour plum, red kidney beans, spinach with egg, turnip and steamed rice with boiled mackerel
OR
Pan roasted marinated chicken served with creamy garlic sauce, selected vegetables and tomato paella

Dessert
Ice cream

From the bakery
Roll
Butter – Fruit preserve

Hot Beverages
Coffee – Tea
Green tea

---
Refreshment from Singapore to Tokyo
Tortilla with teriyaki beef and lettuce wrap
OR
Panini bread with pineapple mayonnaise spread, shaved smoked turkey and cheddar cheese

Hot beverages
Coffee – Tea
Green tea

Cold beverage
Japanese Oolong Tea
---

As there was no egg option, and with an intense dislike of steamed fish, I went for the chicken. I have to say I wasn't exactly sure I was given the correct selection by the look of it, but I was and it tasted delicious. I had actually started to get a little cold and pulled out the blanket but this had nothing to do with the germs lurking in my system and more to do with being directly under the AC which seemed to be set at a very low level. My warm roll was cold in seconds, and a quick glance around the cabin confirmed my view as virtually everyone was wrapped in a blanket.

I had a small glass of red wine, and then green tea (both for the antioxidant qualities, you understand…) but passed on the ice cream again. I would have loved cheese and biccies but it was not meant to be.

The trays did seem to take an extraordinarily long time to be cleared but as we were the third row to be served I suppose it was to be expected. Besides which, with a seat free next to me it was no hassle to move it anyway.

On to the movies! Watched, as I had planned, the Bourne Supremacy. I did enjoy it but not quite as much as the Identity. I think the action scenes lost it a bit on our tiny screens. Poor Marie being bumped off so early. Good film though.

Then I watched the Manchurian Candidate. At first I misread it as the Mancunian Candidate, so I was all confused as to what people from Manchester had to do with a US Presidential election but I soon figured it out. I love Meryl Streep and she was great in this. A fab thriller.

Just as the credits rolled on this it was time for our snack. I chose the Teriyaki Beef (good job really as there was hardly any turkey left) which was nice but surprisingly small. Still, it was a relatively short flight (5 1/2 hours) so I can't really complain. More green tea kept my antioxidant levels up.

Before long we were starting our descent into NRT. It was a dull, dark day and the sun was starting to set. Not unlike London actually. Temperature was 10C (50F in old money) so again, quite like London.

Now then, this is where it starts to get interesting. The welcome I received was not quite what I was expecting….

Offloading was easy being so close to the exit. Immigration was a zoo and far less efficient than I was expecting. We had about a 30 minute wait and as I approached my immigration officer she donned a face mask. Steady on madam, I only have a cold! Cleared there fine although without a word of conversation (though I did bow - not sure if this was the right thing to do) and noted with interest that Japan uses stickers as opposed to stamps in your passport.

Baggage collection was rapid and I had no problem finding my ever heavier collection of chattels. The queue for customs was very long, with signs explaining that it was "end of year customs enforcement" and asking for our patience. I don't quite get what that means - surely if everyone knows it is more rigorously enforced at this time of year they are likely to try another time if they plan on bringing contraband?

After about a 20 minute wait it was nearly my turn. They really don't have a very good system in Japan, with separate queues as opposed to unified one in many countries. Not the efficiency I had presumed. By now my cold was back with a vengeance and I was streaming and making good use of all the tissues I had requisitioned on the plane.

Up I went to my officer. After what was, I thought, the general questions about where I am staying, for how long and my next destination he asked for my ticket. I happily handed it over, and he then produced this book with loads of photos of contraband - guns, drugs plus to my amusement copies of the front covers of Penthouse, Hustler and other adult mags. The drugs section actually reminded me of a menu in an Amsterdam coffee shop! However, nestled within these pages was a photo of my Vicks Inhaler, which I had purchased at Changi.

For those of you who don't know what such a thing is, it is a cylindrical plastic contraption which is loaded with eucalyptus. You (and this isn't a pleasant description so bear with me) stick it up each nostril and inhale and it clears any congestion.

I dutifully removed mine from my pocket which then seemed to set off a chain reaction. Within minutes I had three customs officers around me, rapidly talking to each other which of course I didn’t understand. Within minutes I was invited to a separate room by two of the newly arrived officials, and asked to open all my bags.

As I have nothing on me which could be considered remotely dodgy I was happy to comply - but the questions were relentless. One chap found my Lisinopril and asked what it was. I explained:

"I have high blood pressure"

"Ah, yes Mr ecco66, can you show me which bag it is in?".

Oh dear, this will take longer than I thought.

After much to-ing and fro-ing for about 15 minutes with me gesticulating in trying to get my point across, another officer with a good command of English was brought in, and he seemed somewhat testy with the other guys. He was most interested in my Wedgwood china which is a gift for my niece. He was surprised at the amount of green tea I had and questioned me about that too.

After a (very intensive and vigorous) rubdown and a run through of all my goods the English speaker seemed to relax a little and we got chatting about why I was in Japan and what I should do while I am here. Actually, I think I bored them to death as they seemed to back off and want rid of me. I ended up taking his address and promised to send a postcard from NZ, as he has always wanted to visit. Bless them, they packed everything up very neatly and eventually I was on my way. I asked about the inhaler and they said I could keep it!

What on earth was that all about then?!!

Still, as much as it was an inconvenience I have to say I do respect every nation's right to enforce their boarders.

Picked up a ticket for the Friendly Limousine and only had a 10 minute wait. The trip in was interesting. I sneezed at one point and a family (who appeared to be Japanese) got up en masse and moved to another section of the bus. OK now people, I have a slight cold, not the bubonic plague.

I was surprised at how many cars in Japan are automatic. Is it just Europe that has an obsession with stick? I have an auto and people think I am "posh" for doing so. Most bizarre. I would say 1 in 3 cars has traffic master fitted too - which you probably need in Tokyo.

Eventually reached my hotel - the New Otani. What an amazing place. More like a city. I have a wonderful room and after I finish this report I shall explore. It has 18 restaurants and a traditional Japanese garden which I am dying to see tomorrow.

But an early night for this boy beckons, and I need to get a Japanese/US cable for my laptop tomorrow as my UK plug is way too heavy for the adapter (another lesson learned) and my juice is running low.

I will fill you in on my next adventure once I have sorted out my power supply!
Old Dec 19, 2004, 7:07 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Great report! Particularly enjoyed the description of your arrival in Tokyo.

In Japan it is customary to wear a surgical mask if you have a cold - they seem to be very, very hygiene conscious hence their reaction to your sneezing.

Looking forward to the rest of the trip. I wonder how you'll find AirNZ... their entertainment is a letdown, but hopefully the food and wine (for antioxidant purposes!) and more comfortable seats will help to compensate...
Old Dec 20, 2004, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Mad_Atta! You're right, there were a lot of people in the city wearing face masks today. However, as nobody seems to cover their mouth when they sneeze or cough I am starting to understand why. Perhaps it would be no bad idea for the London tube.

Mmm, I did ponder about NZ as I had read their entertainment is below standard. However, I didn't really have much choice with *A unless I routed back through SIN which I thought would be a nonsense.

IF, and I am not holding my breath, my upgrade comes through then I will be a happy bunny but if not - well I have a good book and melatonin and it is after all a night flight. Of course, I shall avail myself of as many antioxidants as I can muster!!!

Cheers
Old Dec 20, 2004, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Those washlets do keep you very clean....

Tokyo Adventures

After a fascinating wander around this enormous hotel complex - so may restaurants and shops it is amazing - I decided to retire to bed. I loved watching some Japanese tv, although of course it didn't make much sense other than the few Engrish words thrown in. I did catch "Sunday Morning" on CNN which only reinforced how far I have already travelled time zone wise.

A further check around the hotel room revealed another surprise. I don't have a toilet, but a washlet. It not only acts as a bidet, but there is another button to clean, ahem how shall I put it, the intimate parts of your butt. Of course I had to give it a go and all I can say is if ever you have the experience don't make the mistake I made and leave the water pressure on high. A very strange sensation indeed. I certainly felt clean though!!

I decided that as I was in no hurry, I would not set my alarm to get up but let nature take its course. I ordered some hot udon soup from the room service "Under The Weather" menu (how thoughtful of them to have such a thing) which certainly hit the spot. By 11.30 I was tucked up and out like a light.

It was obviously the right thing to do, as I woke up at 11.30am local. After a hot shower I realised I had definitely broken the back of this cold and am feeling much, much better. I tell you, the combination of Echinacea and vitamin C works every time and always seems to take care of things within 24 hours. I never travel without them, even if my Japanese customs blokies thought I was carrying a branch of GNC in my baggage.

Over three cups of green tea I planned my day. A quick look out of the window showed Tokyo under cloudy skies and, according to the Sato building across the street, a temperature of 9C(48F). But no matter, it is winter after all and you have to make the best of what you are given. I made a point of leaving my Vicks Inhaler in my room safe lest I get arrested…

Had brunch in the hotel brasserie overlooking the Japanese garden. What a view. I decided to take a chance and skip the garden tour today in the hope of better weather tomorrow. The restaurant was packed - lots of ladies doing lunch plus what seemed to be business lunches - and I was the only western face in there. Wow, the Japanese smoke like chimneys. I was one of only three tables occupied in the non smoking section but the smoking was virtually full. I was offered a copy of the Japan Times to read which was a lovely touch. After a quick plate of noodles and an absolutely delicious lemon drink I was ready to hit the town.

I asked at guest relations where to purchase a cable for my laptop but of course, silly me, there was no need. Guest relations were on the phone in a New York Second to housekeeping and an adapter would be waiting for me in my room upon my return. Oh you lovely people, one less thing to worry about. I was actually hoping to avoid any electronic shops as I simply don't have the room to carry anything else (and after my Tokyo customs experience have to expect similar in NZ) but I am very weak willed when it comes to gadgets. So problem solved.

Now, I consider myself to be quite a seasoned traveller. Not in the frequency you understand, most FTers put me well in shade, but by the fact that all my trips are for leisure. Actually, on that subject when watching the Bourne Supremacy I was pleased to note that every location (Goha, Berlin, Munich, Amsterdam, London - well I live there so it doesn't really count - Washington, DC and New York) I have had the pleasure of visiting at one time or another and apart from Goha all of them more than once. I've done every state in the US, and the only continent I have yet to visit is Antarctica.

This place not like any other I have been to though. The combination of a completely different language and culture threw me off balance a tad. However, I am a determined so-and-so when I am away so armed with my map off I went.

My first challenge was the subway. Thankfully they do have signs in English, but that didn't really help. I got hopelessly lost and ended up on a line which was taking me out of the main area of the city. Uh oh, can I get back? Thankfully this nice gentlemen (with the most perfect English diction) approached me and asked if I was OK and soon showed me how to get back on track and the vagaries of the system.

I visited Tokyo Station, the Imperial Palace and the trendy Shibuya shopping district. The shops were fascinating, but all the constant bowing was giving me a head rush. Good exercise for the stomach muscles though. I found a typically Japanese noodle bar and enjoyed pan fried shrimp with hot noodles and a lovely sauce - though don't ask me what it was, I have no clue. I Just pointed and he just poured. Well, I liked the colour of it.

It's amazing how you can get by without knowing any of the language. Although I am usually very good linguistically I am finding it very difficult to get a hang of Japanese. The people don't seem to mind though and I got along just fine.

I always think you can get the measure of a nation by checking out a supermarket where the locals would typically shop so I seized the opportunity as soon as I saw one. However, as I couldn't figure out what anything was I failed in this measure in a big way. The fresh fish and meats were fascinating though. The one thing I did find was a selection of tins of Spam. Most odd. And again, just as in Singapore the muzak in the market was seasonal with "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" and "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" being piped through. Is there no escape?

I returned to my hotel room after dark and, as promised, my adapter was waiting for me and it is from here, with a view of Tokyo by night, that I update my report. I have booked a table at the revolving restaurant on the 40th floor of the hotel for dinner. It's a Chinese buffet so I am looking forward to that.

Tomorrow has to be the Japanese garden before I head back to Narita for the next stage. The NZ90 is still showing availability in C, D and Z (plus open in Y, B, M & H) so I am hoping my Star UK Standby Upgrade will come through. My sister and her children will meet me in Auckland so it will be nice to have friendly faces when I arrive. Mind you, the weather hasn't been great in NZ (snow on the south island and hail in Auckland) so I had better do a quick dance to the Sun God before I depart Tokyo.

Until next time people, signing off for now.

Cheers

Last edited by ecco66; Dec 20, 2004 at 3:13 am Reason: correcting typos - of course!
Old Dec 20, 2004, 4:26 am

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
Thanks for the report so far!

Originally Posted by ecco66
The one thing that amazed me – being an aisle creature - is the lack of Hip Clip. Anyone who regularly sits in the aisle will know what I mean. That annoying habit of the cabin crews’ hips clipping your seat and disturbing your flight. BMI is particularly bad on this although my worst experience was a LAX-AKL flight with, how shall I put it, the more senior of UA crew who did not seem able to make it down an aisle without managing to knock every seat going. I wonder if they have chafe marks for doing this? Perhaps they Vaseline their hips?
I totally understand this. I'm rather tall so I always go for aisle in economy, but being also broad-shouldered, I have to take many knocks which is annoying especially if you manage to sleep. According to my experience the hip clip factor isn't related to how slim the crew is. It's education and respect of passengers.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 6:36 am

I love your trip report! You cetainly have a way with words. I can't wait to read the next installment! Thanks so much for sharing.
Julie
Old Dec 20, 2004, 8:28 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by ecco66
Tokyo Adventures
Tomorrow has to be the Japanese garden before I head back to Narita for the next stage. The NZ90 is still showing availability in C, D and Z (plus open in Y, B, M & H) so I am hoping my Star UK Standby Upgrade will come through. My sister and her children will meet me in Auckland so it will be nice to have friendly faces when I arrive. Mind you, the weather hasn't been great in NZ (snow on the south island and hail in Auckland) so I had better do a quick dance to the Sun God before I depart Tokyo.
Cheers
I am on my way in the opposite direction(in BKK now, SIN yesterday, AKL before that, started in MEL, and off to CDG tomorrow). I hope to put together a full trip report soon. With regards to the weather in Auckland, when I was there it was quite shocking: from partly cloudy to violent hail in 30 seconds, then rain, then back to partly cloudy. It shifted very fast, and the temperature was around 10-15 degrees. Aside from that I really enjoyed the place. If you are interested in local NZ wines, let me know as I found a delightful cellar in Auckland with some very interesting, off-the-beaten-path options.

cheers,

chico
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:25 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Great report eco ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.