Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report CX872

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2004, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Trip Report CX872

Since this is a USA bound flight, In-Town check-in was not an option so I had to do it at the airport which was no biggie. Check-in counters for CX872 (CX882 as well) was located at Isle B. Before approaching the counters, there was a security check in our bags. But unlike the nonsense at LAX, this was fairly done in a professional manner. The man lifted both my luggage on to the table and politely asked me to open it which I did. He then quickly skimmed through the inside by hardly touching anything. So within 20 seconds, BOOM everything was done and I proceeded to the counters.

After the experience at LAX last week regarding my carry-ons, I immediately asked the agent if my rectangular shaped luggage with wheels on the bottom had to be checked-in (Yes I was quite worried). But to my relief, she said that the size meets the requirement as a carry on. So then I went on to ask her why this was not the case when I checked in at LAX two weeks ago where I was given the third degree. She seemed confused at first but then indicated that staff from different airports may see it differently and apologized for the treatment at LAX (Of course I didn’t need her to apologize as this was the action of the LAX staff) but nonetheless I was grateful for her explanations and concerns. Anyhow she later proceeded to tag my bags to SFO and printed my boarding pass.

After a quick browse through the shops around the departure level, I made my way into the boarding area and then to Gate 2.

Saturday December 11, 2004
CX 872 Hong Kong – San Francisco
B747-400
Y Class Seat: 47H
Gate 2
Scheduled Departure: 16:40
Actual Departure: 17:00
Scheduled Arrival: 12:30
Actual Arrival: 12:43

Boarding commenced at around 15:50. For an overcrowded flight such as this one, must give kudos to the CX ground staff for doing their usual superb job in handling this situation. And as usual, the priorities are: First, Business, passengers w/ children, and then the different sections of Y class. Once through the aerobridge and into the aircraft a smiling FA named Sherry directed me towards the location of my seat. Despite the overcrowded Y cabin, everything seemed to be organized. Passengers were patient in searching for their seats and placing their bags in the overhead compartment while FAs were either helping passengers with their bags or viewing the lists of those who have requested special meals.

Soon after everyone have settled in to their respective seats, door was closed and the captain began speaking and notified us that the weather in San Francisco is partly cloudy at 16 deg. and flight duration is approximately 11hrs 20 min. Taxiway into the runway was long and slow as usual at HKIA. But after a while we managed to take off only 15 minutes behind schedule. We took off towards the east and immediately flew above Kowloon and in no time we were in the middle of the Taiwan Straight. Within an hour after takeoff the FAs started the Dinner process.

DINNER

Ham and Roast Vegetable Salad

Stewed Spare Ribs with Red Rice Wine Sauce
Steamed Rice and Seasonal Vegetables
OR
Pan-fried fish with Onion and Mushroom Cream Sauce
Boiled Potato Wedges
Broccoli and Carrots with Parsley
OR
Penne Pasta with Chicken and Eggplant in White Sauce

Milk Pudding with Ginger Juice

Bread Roll and Butter

Tea and Coffee

I decided to go with the pasta since earlier in the day at HK, I had plenty of fish for lunch at a Japanese restaurant near my residential flat in Hung Hom. Anyways the meals were warm as always and although there was nothing fancy about the portion or quality, they were edible and filled me up quite well (I really enjoyed the Ginger Milk Pudding). After everyone was more or less done with their meals and the FA’s started the tray removing process, the sky outside the window darkened and everyone started to line their way into the toilets.

Moments afterwards, lights were dimmed and many passengers fell into their snoozing comfort. For a person who normally has trouble getting sleep on board airplanes, I was quite surprised that I slept for nearly 8 hours. As a result, I skipped out on all the snacks that were distributed during the middle of the flight and hardly browsed through any of the IFE. And by the time I woke up they were already starting to serve brunch as we were only 2 hours from landing at SFO.

BRUNCH

Fresh Seasonal Fruits

E-fu Noodles with Mushrooms
and Mini Glutinous Rice Dumpling
OR
Bacon and Cheddar Cheese Omelette with Creamed Spinach
Pan-fried Veal Sausage
Baked Tomato with Provencale Herbs

Croissant
Preserve and Butter

Tea and Coffee

This time I went for the Dim Sum which was the combination of E-fu noodles and Glutinous Rice and found out it was much better than the first selection I had for Dinner (The Glutinous Rice was absolutely yummy). Again nothing fancy but I nonetheless enjoyed it. I must really give props to the Cabin Crew on this flight for their patience, organization, and warming approach they demonstrated towards each passenger (This was something that was virtually nonexistence onboard CX883 last week). Well done CX.

Soon after the FA’s cleared our meals, the seatbelt sign went on and the captain went on the PA to notify us that the plane is beginning its descent into SFO. As our altitude kept on decreasing, we continued flying southeast along the Mendocino coast, passing along San Mateo County before making the U-turn for the final landing approach. At around 12:40 PST, we touched down on 28R. And as usual while we were taxiing towards the gate the crew reminded us to remained seated until everything has come to a complete stop and that everyone has filled out their immigration cards correctly. As I made my way out, I waved goodbye to the wonderful crew whom in my opinion did as terrific of a job as they can possibly do in making this 11+hr a comfortable one.

Immigration & Customs was a breeze, luggage came out rather quickly and within 20 minutes of disembarking the aircraft, I was on board BART on my way to OAK for my WN flight back to BUR.

Overall this was a pleasant flight and what I normally would expect from CX. I was just relieved that I made the switch to this flight instead of taking CX882 back to LAX (which was my original itinerary until I became fed up with the LAX experience last week).
Old Dec 11, 2004, 9:20 pm

Programs: some
Thanks for the brief report, enjoyed reading it ^
Old Dec 11, 2004, 9:48 pm

Great report. ^
Old Dec 12, 2004, 7:42 am

Having taken the LAX many times, I can understand your frustration. The arrival process into TBIT has become very cumbersome. SFO landing seems like it was great. Thanks for sharing....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.