Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Chicago City Center, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Chicago City Center, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Giroud
I'm on a similar rate for an upcoming May stay and my understanding is the breakfast will just be continental therefore i can choose 500 pts as the plat welcome gift.

Any recent experience staying here as a plat? i've heard that the hotel is rather dated.
Stayed here at the end of December for the start of a NYE trip. We've stayed here in December for the last 4 years and consistently have gotten a decent upgrade as Platinum - either a Spectacular or Fabulous. Our last stay, we had a friend traveling with us on our reservation and received the upgrade on both rooms.

Service has been iffy at best the last two years - I've spoken to the manager the last two times regarding staff issues. The bar staff was near incompetent two years ago, but better this year. Definitely some cleanliness issues this year, however, with room service trays from previous guests sitting outside our room at checkin - and still there at checkout at noon the following day.

We do not use the breakfast benefit. You've got four quick take-out breakfast places within a block, so normally get breakfast at Dunkin' or Au Bon Pain.

The rooms are in decent shape for my taste - while they haven't been renovated in the last few years, they're in better shape than most hotels I visit. I do enjoy the public areas, though - the lobby is one of my favorites to sit and have a cocktail in. Small enough to be intimate, but with a grand hotel style of decor.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does the hotel still offer free car/shuttle service around the neighborhood during the week?
Old Oct 21, 2021, 11:52 am

Recent stay. 4 night stay, Monday to Friday. SNAs cleared to Fantastic suite right at the 5 day window as titanium.

Room is very big by Loop standards. TVs on both sides of room partition (sitting area and bed area). I get why they did it, but it seems like overkill. Strange lack of power outlets or USB outlets in places you'd expect them. HVAC is a little wonky. Shower is tiny for a suite like this, IMO. Room is in good shape but could use a refresh, it's starting to look a little little

I think I like the Kimpton's (or whatever they are turning into if they are still going to leave IHG) a little bit better, but it's a decent option in the loop if you don't want to schlep it from River North.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Any recent reviews? I have to choose between this and the JW across the street. The JW has a lounge but otherwise seems to have terrible reviews. I'm platinum but a bunch of my colleagues (who are Titanium) will be staying here so I'm not expecting anything upgrade-wise.

-J.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:54 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Any recent reviews? I have to choose between this and the JW across the street. The JW has a lounge but otherwise seems to have terrible reviews. I'm platinum but a bunch of my colleagues (who are Titanium) will be staying here so I'm not expecting anything upgrade-wise.

-J.
I would recommend the JW Marriott.
Old May 24, 2022, 3:18 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
W Chicago - City Center Review

W Chicago City Center

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

W Chicago City Center

172 W Adams St Chicago, IL US 60603

W Chicago - City Center Review (5 Photos)

W Chicago City Center

I stayed here one night this past weekend. I decided after many years to give this hotel another chance. I will not return. Not because it is so horrible, but there are just so many better Marriott properties available.

Warning.

I must pre-empt my review with a statement that I generally view W Hotels in the US as being pretentious, soulless places for people that have more money than sense. Internationally, I like W Hotels more, but still think their actual target audience are people trying to be something they are not. This hotel particularly falls into the former category.

Check In

I had booked with points and used an SNA for the upgrade, which was confirmed several days before arrival. The fairly inattentive woman at reception told me that they were giving me a complimentary upgrade to a Mega Room (or something like that....I have little interest in their stupid room names).

I pointed out that I had a confirmed advance upgrade through an SNA: She did not understand that at all.

She informed us that the as a platinum I would get a 10 USD discount per person off breakfast. I do not understand how this fulfills the brand requirements. I never have this issue outside the US.

In any case the check in area was a zoo and poorly organized because several parties arrived at the same time. Not a premium experience.

Room

Good

• We had two comfortable double beds
  • There were USB-A ports available for charging
  • The water pressure in the bathroom was good and the bathroom was spacious

Bad

• They continue to use single-use toiletries.
  • There were no USB-C ports available for charging
  • The sliding bathroom door does not lock
  • The room has no coffee machine

70D0C9C2-2711-48DF-BD80-BD321FDAD464.jpeg6635380A-B31F-4295-AA4A-FEF77287DF98.jpeg5BA8F0A2-E4D7-4638-8695-E582D940D645.jpegAB953AC7-F16C-4BEE-9E4A-20B5B1A76FB8.jpeg

Dining

It was a Saturday night stay and the bar was quite full. I remember during a stay at the JW Marriott I came across the street to this bar, because it was livelier than the offering at JW:

0C799B7C-E0B5-4DA6-AF73-8852BF84C20B.jpeg

After looking at the breakfast menu, I understood why no one was sitting in the breakfast restaurant in the morning. There are too many outside breakfast options nearby with a much better value proposition. I did not try their food, but I would not expect it to be worth the price.

The location is definitely central. The parking is 75 USD per night ++. I like to walk. Perhaps this price will convert others to this stance. :) Kidding aside, use SpotHero or other similar services to find much cheaper parking nearby. We had something a 3 minute walk away for 20 USD per night.

We walked everywhere from this hotel. There are also subway stations nearby.

Overall

I just do not get the vibe of this hotel. It is fine if you want the location.

If you are a big W fan, you will like it. I struggle with the brand in general. To me it is Moxy with rooms that have weird names..

Otherwise go across the street or choose another Marriott option.

W Chicago - City Center Review

Would you like to write a review on the W Chicago City Center?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.