Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DXB Airport and BA first DXB-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:45 am
Original Poster

DXB Airport and BA first DXB-LHR

As part of my RTW to get my QF status credits I will post this report on an incredile first class experience

DXB airport
For those of you that have never been, let me assure you that the DXB airport is on of lifes musts...I have been all over the world and this is my first time to the DXB airport as part of my OWE AONE5. I arrived on BA flight 107, and departed the next morning on BA108. I wll report on BA 108 below. I was actually greeted at the gate by a rep from the Dubai International Hotel where I made reservations. The Hotel is in the airport. AND, you do not have to go through immigration to get to the hotel. It is actually in the transit area. It is 4 years old, rooms immaculate, spa incredible and the staff as friendly as any staff I have encountered. Price of the room was 185 dollars inlcuding the meet and greet I just mentioned. I was a bit tired so I did not explore the airport. But the next day I awoke early and went down to the duty free area of DXB. This is a shoppers paradise with an accent on the gold products. I saw a very similar product on 47th street in NYC for almost quadruple the price...The people who were at the counters were extremely knowledgable as well. Even though the dollar is fairly week, it went a long way in DXB

BA 108 First Class DXB-LHR
BOARDING
This flight was due to depart at 10 AM with a flight time of 7 hours and 30 minutes. Boarded at gate 18 where there was a separate check in for first and business class passengers. Before this I went to the BA lounge which was spartan but comfortable. The BA DXB lounge has ONE internet terminal which was very slow. Minimal snacks. Todays flight was on a 777 with half of first class filled. I was disappointed to see the 6 inch IFE TV monitors with only 12 channels of video, but interestingly the picture was crisp and clear.. Business class was filled to the brim.

AMENITIES
The standard amenity kit was given out as described many times before. Since this was a day flight there was no sleeper suits offered. Cashews were at my seat, and I was offered ANYTHING I wanted pre take off. Love this.

MENU
Unlike other BA flights I have taken this flight served Continental Breakfast as the first meal, and a full LUNCH as the second meal served prior to landing. Very nice. Here is transcript...

STARTERS
Chilled Fruit Juice
AN energising fruit smoothie
A selection of fruit, plain yoghurts and cereals
Fresh seasonal fruit plate

BAKERY
A wide selection of breakfast pastries and rolls

LUNCH
STARTERS
King prawns and tabouleh salad
Mediterranean meze plate of yellow roast peppers, slow roasted tomatoes, carrot, black ovie and fresh mint salad with Feta cheese and yoghurt dressing
Fresh mushroom soup with porcini and warm cheese toasts
Fresh salad leaves with your choice of balsamic olive oil or creamy herb dressing

MAIN
Individual roast rack of lamb with skorthalia and roast vegetables
Parmesan chicken schnitzel and egg noodles with spinach leaves.
Toad in the Hole- traditional British favourite with beef sausages, onion gravy, steamed broccoli with sliced carrots and creamed potatoes with chives
Salad of roast aubergine with warm Haloumi cheese pancakes

SNACKS
Ricotta cheese and spinach ravioli with your choice of herb-infused olive oil or plum tomato sauce
Duchy of Cornwall biscuits
A selection of cheese and fruit
Grilled beef steak sandwich on focaccia bread
Vegetarian sandwich wraps

DESSERT AND CHEESE
Strawberry tart
Panna cotta with honey and pistachio
Cheese plate
A basket of fresh fruit

CHAMPAGNE
Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle Champagne

During the flight I saw the movie Connie and Carla with Nia Vardalos. Great movie and very funny. BA has choice of movies that play on a loop and indiviudal video cassetes in first. I really love to stop and start a video and this movie was on the video list.

Of all the BA flights that I have taken this was really great. At 10 AM in the morning, I was not in the mood for lunch so that the first meal was great in that it was so light. Everyone in the cabin had lunch at the same time which was about 2 and one half hours before landing in LHR. I had the chicken schnitzel which was excellent. Hope that you all enjoyed this report. Until next time...
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Great report!

I will be taking BA 107 at the end of my current AONE5 over MLK weekend and will be returning on BA 108 in F as the first leg of a DXB-LHR-HEL-LHR-BOS Oneworld Award ticket.

Sadly, having taken BA 108 before, I can report that the continental breakfast represents a downgrade from the full cooked breakfast I was offered in March 2002.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 4:38 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by RTW4
CHAMPAGNE
Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle Champagne

So no more Krug?

I remember having Krug LHR-DXB-LHR in January of 2003.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by daniellam
So no more Krug?

I remember having Krug LHR-DXB-LHR in January of 2003.

No, Krug has been gone for a while now. There are several threads on the BA board about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.