FLL-IAH-AMS in BF

July 1st

Continental 1849
Depart: 12:00 pm
Arrive: 1:35 pm
Seats: 1E/1F
Aircraft: 737-800
Meal: Lunch

Arrived at FLL at 10:30 and utilize the eliteaccess check in counter. No wait, and after informing the agent we are flying internationally (hence we cant use the kiosks) she gladly helps us. Check in is quick and efficient, but I am unhappy to find an SSSS on my boarding pass.

Security, despite being in the SSSS line is fairly quick. We arrive at the presidents club with a half hour till boarding to spare. A buffet of crackers, cheeses, chips, and pretzels are offered. Drinks are offered through the bartender. The club in FLL is perfect size, not having that cramped feeling similar to the one in SEA.

Its soon time for boarding and again we use the eliteaccess benefit. Coats are hung, and pre-departure drinks are offered. We pushback on-time and taxied out for departure. Load was almost full in F with a few seats empty. Glad to see those elite changes have driven away customers.

After take-off lunch is offered with only 1 choice. A chicken vegetable sandwich, with a cup of clam chowder. We both gladly accept the meal. Hot towels are handed out, followed by a tray consisting of the whole meal. The soup was served luke warm, but was none the less good. The sandwich had a sour taste to it with the horrible tomato sauce that had already been placed inside. Obviously it’s not a restaurant, so I don’t expect much from airline meals. Besides, I was looking forward to a delicious BF meal anyway. A lovely pecan delight finished it off, and trays were collected shortly after. The flight attendants offered lovely service throughout the whole flight, and were all smiles.

A quick snooze in the leather chair, and we had already begun our descent into Houston. We taxied into gate E4, and whisked into the new presidents club. I must say, the layout is very nice, and well decorated. The club has 2 floors, but we did not go upstairs. The first level has a beautiful view of the tarmac, great for plane spotting. No special updates to the buffet in this lounge however. Still the same cheese and cracker bit. Relaxing in the lounge went by quickly with our 2 hr layover, and we started the trek over to gate E11.

Continental 58
Depart: 3:35 pm
Arrive: 8:10 am +1 (next day)
Seats: 2K/2L
Aircraft: 767-200ER
Meal: Dinner

Boarding began at 2:50 pm, starting with the BF cabin. Boarding was done through the first door, and we crossed over the aisle to get to our seats. We were offered a drink, and given amenity kits, but no menus. While trying to look at the video monitor, I accidentally spilled my drink. The FA quickly came over and told me not to worry because they would replace the seat cushion (which was stained and wet). The concierge then comes around to chat with all the passengers. She again assures me that the seat cushion will get taken care of. After browsing through the PTV guide for a little while, the maintenance man shows up with my new cushion and quickly replaces it. Definitely a nice touch as far as service goes. We still have not gotten menus so I kindly request them and they are promptly brought.

THE MENU:

TO BEGIN

Warm roasted nuts
Served with your preferred cocktail or beverage

APPETIZER CART

Smoked, peppered Atlantic salmon
Accompanied by salmon roulade with cream cheese
and creamed horseradish

Air-dried beef garnished with melon and oranges

SALAD

Fresh mesclun greens and frisée with buffalo mozzarella cheese,
red tomato slices, chopped chives and a Kalamata olive

Offered with your choice of balsamic vinaigrette
or buttermilk ranch dressing

Freshly baked sourdough bread and assorted rolls with butter

EXECUTIVE MEAL OPTION

If you should prefer more time to work or relax,
we suggest this complete meal presented all at once,
whenever you wish.

Appetizer Salad
Fresh mesclun greens and frisée with buffalo mozzarella cheese,
red tomato slices, chopped chives and a Kalamata olive,
topped with smoked, peppered Atlantic salmon
and salmon roulade with cream cheese

Offered with your choice of balsamic vinaigrette
or buttermilk ranch dressing

Entree
Please choose your main course
from the entree selections featured on this menu

Chocolate

MAIN COURSES
The Chef’s Selection
Baby rack of lamb au jus with roasted garlic
presented on a bed of herbed couscous
Sautéed zucchini, squash, eggplant and red and green bell peppers
Fine green beans

Herbed Breast of Chicken
Enhanced by morel mushroom sauce, served over Italian couscous
flavored with fresh herbs, Roma tomatoes and red onion
Fresh green asparagus spears

Halibut
Seared halibut with toasted fennel and herbs
accented by lemon butter, offered with saffron risotto
Sautéed shiitake mushrooms, cherry tomato and salsify
Fresh green asparagus

Pasta Bowl
Vegetable lasagne with goat cheese
topped with creamy marinara sauce and artichoke hearts

Freshly grated Parmesan cheese will be offered with your pasta

FRUIT AND CHEESE

Select American and imported cheeses accompanied by fresh seasonal fruit,
assorted gourmet crackers and bread, served with Port wine

DESSERT CART

Featuring Blue Bell® Homemadeª vanilla ice cream
offered with your choice of toppings
or warm fruit cobbler topped with vanilla ice cream

Freshly brewed Timothy’s Custom Roasted Milano Blend Gourmet Coffee
Timothy’s Verona Blend Decaffeinated Coffee
Tea with your choice of milk or lemon

Enjoy a cup of freshly brewed Emilio Caffè Italian Espresso or Cappuccino
available exclusively in BusinessFirst on our 777 and 767 aircraft.

BREAKFAST
Will be offered prior to arrival

A selection of juices

Fresh seasonal fruit

Assorted breads
including warm croissants and cinnamon and crusty rolls
with butter and strawberry preserves

•••••

Omelette
Garnished with button mushrooms
Seasoned potato cubes Grilled ham steak

Selected Cereal
Served with milk, yogurt and a banana

•••••

Freshly brewed Timothy’s Custom Roasted Milano Blend Gourmet Coffee
Timothy’s Verona Blend Decaffeinated Coffee
Tea with your choice of milk or lemon

Orders were taken, and I select the rack of lamb, with the buttermilk ranch for my salad. After the door closing, the safety video was done in English and then Dutch. Taxiing out, a KLM 747 was spotted and this seemed to draw alot of attention from the pax on board.

When we reached our cruising altitude FA's gave out hot towels, followed by linens for the trays. The appetizer cart was brought around, and she offered both to me. The beef was ok, and the salmon was tasty. The salad was again nothing to special, but the mozzarella was an interesting touch. The bread basket was brought around, and I had a pretzel stick. I started up my PTV and turned on secret window with Johnny Depp. They had a nice selection of movies and different programs, but unfortunately it isn’t on demand. My entrée was presented to me from the galley and was delicious. I could not have asked for a better meal on an airplane. The Lamb was also very tender and not dry at all.

After I was finished my plate was cleared and dessert was offered from a cart. I quickly chose the cobbler with a scoop of ice cream. I must comment that this was some of the best blueberry cobbler I have ever had. It was warm, and tasted as if it had just came out of the oven. After finishing dessert I was asked if I needed anything else, and asked for glass of water.

After dinner was finished the FAs came through the aisles with water bottles. After my movie was finished I reclined my seat to get some shut eye. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this seat was more comfortable for me than the 777 seat. The 777 is not fully flat and is slightly inclined, so I feel like I’m almost sliding down. The 767 seat feels like a very comfortable lazy boy, for me this works out fine for sleeping. I used the eyeshades, and ear plugs in the amenity kit to help me fall asleep. I also brushed my teeth with the toothbrush and toothpaste that was offered.

I awoke just as we hit the northern England, and breakfast was started soon after. I chose the omelette, and a cart service of coffee and tea was wheeled out. We were offered a muffin or croissant, both of which looked very fresh. The breakfast entrée was quickly brought up with just enough time to eat and clean up before landing. I don’t understand why they don’t start the breakfast service a little sooner. It feels like its being rushed since we are so close to landing.

After arrival in AMS, we made out way to the KLM Crown Lounge. The lounge was very crowded, but the snacks were better than in the US. Also instead of a bar service, they have a self-serve area with a soda fountain and refrigerated alcohol. I like this way much better because its easier and quicker to get something to drink.

Overall a nice flight, the food and service on CO were all spectacular. The only complaint would be to offer AVOD.

Questions or comments?

Last edited by NWplatinum; Oct 1, 2004 at 9:00 pm
Old Sep 28, 2004, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Good Report.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 5:01 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
We still have not gotten menus so I kindly request them and they are promptly brought.
Perhaps the crew wanted to wait until you were airborne. I have seen crews do the amenity/menu delivery either before take off OR rigth after reaching cruising altitude.

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I don’t understand why they don’t start the breakfast service a little sooner. It feels like its being rushed since we are so close to landing.
I guess FA's want to let passengers sleep as much as possible. Besides, some people do not have breakfast and just ask for coffee or juice and maybe a pastry at most.

Thanks for taking the time to write this and share it. CO BF is an excellent product and probably the best J/C of any USA carrier.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by aw
Perhaps the crew wanted to wait until you were airborne. I have seen crews do the amenity/menu delivery either before take off OR rigth after reaching cruising altitude.
The crew had already handed out menus to other pax, and were taking orders from some passengers while at the gate.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:21 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Then that's a MAJOR MISTAKE in my book.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:50 pm

The menu sounds actually better than some international first class food that I have sampled. Thanks for the great description.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Titanium
Great report. Thanks
Old Jun 28, 2005, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, US, SPG, HH
Thanks for the report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.