Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Trip Report - Horrible Stay Cut Short

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2004, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
Thumbs down Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Trip Report - Horrible Stay Cut Short

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

120 Kaiulani Ave Honolulu, HI US 96815

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Trip Report - Horrible Stay Cut Short (0 Photo)

I had a reserved stay at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani with my girlfriend from Sept. 5 - Sept. 10. We arrive at the PK on the 5th. I had contacted the hotel prior to our arrival and got a room upgrade to high ocean view. Got all checked in and everything seemed good. Hotel did not seem as bad as some reviewers might make it out to be.

We headed straight for the pool but learned that the pool was closed. I asked the attendant why and was told someone threw up in the pool the evening prior. Well, we made our way to the Moana Surf Rider to lay out for an hour. Upon coming back from a great sunset we arrived at our room to see we had no electricity. After several calls to the front desk, they moved our room.

We unpacked and the next morning headed down to the pool. Again, still closed for "organic contamination." We made our way over to the Moana Surf Rider to lay out. Showed the pool attendants at the MSF our room keys and were given towels but were told we could not use the chairs. I explained about the PK pool, but were still turned away. We made our way to the public beach area to lay out. Clouds rolled in and we headed to a Starwood Vacation club thing for a $100. After that it cleared again and we were close to the Royal Hawaiian. We were turned away from getting towels there, but after some arguing they gave them to us. We made our way to their beach but were kicked out.

After being extremely angered by this, we made our way to back to the PK to speak with the guest services manager. He listened and then offered us a free breakfast certificate. Even went as far as to tell us to just use public beaches until the pool reopened. I told him this did not fix the situation and asked if their other hotels had availability. He went to the back and came out to tell us non of the other Waikiki Starwood hotels had availability and left us with the breakfast vouchers.

Still angered, I called SPG reservations to check Waikiki availability. I quickly learned that the MSF had availability. Plenty of it. Proceeded to call the Guest Services Manager who by then left for the day and I proceeded downstairs again to meet with the new guest services manager. Unleashed on him and pretty much told him to move us out of there or we were going to check out ourselves. Came back twenty minutes later letting us know we were being moved to the MSF.

Got to the MSF and the manager there gave us a deluxe ocean front room. Amazing!!! We could not have been happier. The MSF made for a fantastic vacation.

Even though the PK had problems, I think it is an alright hotel for the money. But for a $100 more you can have the beauty and tranquility of the MSF which I feel is well worth it. All in all, got the SPG355N promo at a rate of $149 a night at the MSF. Not too shabby.

Would you like to write a review on the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 14, 2004, 10:19 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AAGold, SW-RR, HertzGold, Marriott, Starwood-Plat
Thumbs down Honolulu PK

The Mrs and I stayed at the Honolulu PK a year ago using a SPG promo rate pkg and it was "horrible". We were in the oldest (I think) wing with an A/C unit that hardly worked and a superb view of the loading dock and dumpsters (wonderful smells from the balcony!).

I was there for a conf and the week was pretty much sold out due to Aloha Week festivities so...we toughed it out/sweated it out - but still enjoyed the pool/beach of the Moana Surf Rider daily and didn't even bother with the pool desk/getting permission.

I basically use the behavior model of "look/act like you belong there and don't look freaky/hesitant and rarely will you be challenged by anyone". Generally, this works everytime including for getting back stage at concerts and crashing wedding receptions too! ^

Last edited by kevinjet; Sep 14, 2004 at 10:21 am Reason: Changed graphic
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Although the GF and I are attorneys, we are both young and even younger looking. Get snuffed a lot about this. But it worked out when the PK manager knew we meant business.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 1:35 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Attorneys? Who'd have guessed?

"Even went as far as to tell us to just use public beaches until the pool reopened." ALL the beaches in Hawaii are public. You booked at the Princess Kaiulani. They have no beach. If you wanted a beach, why does it matter if there was vomit in pool.

The $100 difference is enough for some folks to consider the PK. The folks there are terrific in my experience, and I have lots of it there. But, I'd never consider swimming in a pool, anyway. Oh, and I've no problem going to a "public" beach.

Aloha
Old Sep 15, 2004, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clublounger
Attorneys? Who'd have guessed?

"Even went as far as to tell us to just use public beaches until the pool reopened." ALL the beaches in Hawaii are public. You booked at the Princess Kaiulani. They have no beach. If you wanted a beach, why does it matter if there was vomit in pool.

The $100 difference is enough for some folks to consider the PK. The folks there are terrific in my experience, and I have lots of it there. But, I'd never consider swimming in a pool, anyway. Oh, and I've no problem going to a "public" beach.

Aloha
Time to play the defensive. First of all, we were plenty happy with the PK when we got there. We did not desire to use the beach, but the PK pool. The PK did not have a pool available. We wanted to use the pools at the other Sheraton hotels, but were turned away, even though was told at time of reservation that we could use the other hotels. And secondly, not all Hawaiian beaches are 100% public. Each Sheraton in Waikiki ropes off about 50% of the available beach behind it. This leaves very little public beach behind these hotels. I am aware there are other beaches in Waikiki and being from Florida, I have no problems with public beaches, but the manager from the PK should not "tell" me to go to a public beach instead of using the pool I desire and if their pool is not available, the PK SHOULD make arrangements with the other Sheraton hotels to accomodate their guests. It is just good customer service. And the main reason we like the pool is because when you are laying out, you can jump in and cool off. I know you can do this at a beach, but we just prefer the pool. I really think it is inexcusable to send us to a beach when we have paid for a hotel with a pool and the hotel has not even tried to accomodate it guests elsewhere. I know there is a public beach and if I wanted to use it, I would have went to it, but I obviously wanted to use the pool.

Oh, and don't try and use the attorney bashing... "Attorneys? Who'd have guessed?" It gets really old.

Last edited by GoCanes; Sep 15, 2004 at 9:01 am
Old Sep 15, 2004, 9:25 am

It took me a while to find it, but I did.

I'm completely baffled by your treatment as you should of been allowed to participate in the "Stay At One, Play At All Sheraton Hotels in Waikiki" program.

Here is complete details on it: http://www.sheraton-waikiki.com/pr_s...,playatall.htm

It states:
Guests staying at any Sheraton Hotels in Waikiki can take advantage of a Stay at One, Play at All program that allows for centralized billing of activities and services. Guests can charge hotel restaurant meals and guest activities at any of the four Waikiki properties to their hotel room. The guest is then presented with one bill upon checkout.

The unique credit program makes it more convenient for guests to enjoy activities and services including the use of pool and beach services at Sheraton Waikiki, Sheraton Moana Surfrider, The Royal Hawaiian and Sheraton Princess Kaiulani.
I would write to each of the hotels, as well as Starwood Corporate and include a copy of this web page and outline exactly how you were not able to participate in this program.

Good luck!

p.s. - Just in case they give you trouble with the above website (because it belongs to Sheraton Waikiki instead of SPK, here is one for SPK, although it is in Japanese: http://www.princess-kaiulani.com/japanese/guestserv.htm - it has info about Stay at One, Play at All. Roughly translated (using Babelfish.altavista.com yields the following: "With the program, you can have enough resort feeling with all facility of the Sheraton hotel group which is in Waikiki! The payment collecting, being your room rent and to complete together, very is convenient!")

Last edited by steve100; Sep 15, 2004 at 9:38 am
Old Sep 15, 2004, 9:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by steve100
It took me a while to find it, but I did.

I'm completely baffled by your treatment as you should of been allowed to participate in the "Stay At One, Play At All Sheraton Hotels in Waikiki" program.

Here is complete details on it: http://www.sheraton-waikiki.com/pr_s...,playatall.htm

It states:

I would write to each of the hotels, as well as Starwood Corporate and include a copy of this web page and outline exactly how you were not able to participate in this program.

Good luck!

p.s. - Just in case they give you trouble with the above website (because it belongs to Sheraton Waikiki instead of SPK, here is one for SPK, although it is in Japanese: http://www.princess-kaiulani.com/japanese/guestserv.htm - it has info about Stay at One, Play at All. Roughly translated (using Babelfish.altavista.com yields the following: "With the program, you can have enough resort feeling with all facility of the Sheraton hotel group which is in Waikiki! The payment collecting, being your room rent and to complete together, very is convenient!")
I'm afraid that I must disagree on this one and the interpretation above. While you can charge activities to your room, it doesn't say that those activities are free or included in your room rate. I believe that The Sheraton Moana Surfrider charges a pretty hefty Beach Club rate (this is for either the pool or the beach).

Also, if I were a guest at the Moana, I wouldn't want half of the PK coming over and taking up the lounge chairs at the Moana pool. BTW, personal experience in this regard also - my first trip at a Starwood hotel in Hawaii was the W. Did not realize that there was not a beach or a pool. Before deciding to change hotels, we were transported by the W to both the Royal Hawaiian and the Moana Surfrider and only allowed to get towels and then lay on the beach outside of the area roped off for hotel guests.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 9:53 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I walked from this hotel and stayed at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. The only thing decent about the PK is its' parking lot. Used a Faster Free Night at the Hyatt. Was not charged for the PK.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigjim
I'm afraid that I must disagree on this one and the interpretation above. While you can charge activities to your room, it doesn't say that those activities are free or included in your room rate. I believe that The Sheraton Moana Surfrider charges a pretty hefty Beach Club rate (this is for either the pool or the beach).
I think the main problem with the promotion is that it is confusing on its face. I thought it included using all the facilities based on its general title. I strongly believe a reasonable person, especially non-flyertalk people, would believe this included using the pool and beach areas. Sheraton should make it clear in the promotion that use of the pools and the beach are not free at all hotels.

Now back to the original point, which is that the PK did not have an available pool for its guests. I know the W does not have one either. But the hotels should make arrangements for those guests. Especially the PK since we thought we would have one and it was not available. With the W, I am not sure if they advertise it with a pool, but besides that, they should have an opportunity for its guests to purchase a small pass to use the facilities at the other Starwood hotels.

Like I mentioned in my original post, I am lucky that we got moved to the Moana Surfrider and had an amazing stay. But I imagine a number of other people, who did not speak up, were left with something less than they paid for and that is a hotel without a functioning pool facility.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:33 am
Original Poster

I emailed Starwood and Sheraton Waikiki to address the issue. Keep you posted on what happens.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by GoCanes
Oh, and don't try and use the attorney bashing... "Attorneys? Who'd have guessed?" It gets really old.
It gets old? Who'd have guessed you'd heard that before?

Shxt happens. Vomit happens. The waters in Waikiki have been closed before-for jellyfish, strong currents, sewage spills. What are you gonna do? Demand to be given access to the beaches in Tahiti? You're paying a state tax on your room, presumably because you're expected to use State resources. So, would you write to the Governor for a refund if the beach was closed for a spell?

It's just petty.

ALL beaches in hawaii are public. The hotels have created beach where their guests can be be separated, but not on the shoreline. Much of the sand in Waikiki has been brought in by truck.

I'm guessing that once you were a guest at the Moana you were glad that those money saving folks at the Kaiulani weren't crowding your space at the Moana pool.

Aloha
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

I'm guessing that once you were a guest at the Moana you were glad that those money saving folks at the Kaiulani weren't crowding your space at the Moana pool.
Actually I had the pool guys remove three people I recognized from the PK using chairs.

I could care less who was at the pool. Everyday there was plenty of open seats. I did not see anyone complain. I still believe even after I moved to the Moana that PK guests should have been given access to the other pools due to the organic contamination. As I left the PK, I told the manager they should make arrangements at the other hotels for the other guests who did not have the hutzpah to complain.

The waters in Waikiki have been closed before-for jellyfish, strong currents, sewage spills. What are you gonna do? Demand to be given access to the beaches in Tahiti?
Clublounger, your analogy is highly flawed. You cannot compare apples to oranges. The PK has a pool. Its three sister hotels also have pools. If one is closed, the guests should be accomodated at other pools. If there was no other Sheraton in Waikiki, and the PK was the only Sheraton, I would understand and that would just be the way it is. Just like if the entire Waikiki beach was closed. There is only one beach in Waikiki. I would not expect the state to compensate me.

Hypothetically lets say the state operated 4 private beaches in Waikiki. You could pay to have access to just one and not the other three. If the one I paid for was closed, but the other three were open, I would expect the state to accomodate me and allow me access to the one of the other three beaches. Simple logic and more like the issue at hand.

Last edited by GoCanes; Sep 15, 2004 at 12:55 pm
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:53 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Everytime compensation based on Sheraton's Service Promise was due, I was treated very well (and the comp was proactively offered).

Guess I'd been outraged if I had been offered some breakfast certs (or does the Service Promise not apply in HI?)
Old Sep 15, 2004, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by GoCanes
Actually I had the pool guys remove three people I recognized from the PK using chairs.

WHAT???
Old Sep 15, 2004, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigjim
WHAT???
It was a joke. I was poking fun at clublounger's quote above the comment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.