Reload this Page >

Ahoy, Madagascar! DFW-Antananarivo on Air France First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ahoy, Madagascar! DFW-Antananarivo on Air France First Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 8:19 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Great stuff, looking forward to more...
Old Sep 8, 2004, 7:24 am

As I am sitting here in one of the worst places on the planet doing one of the worst things that a man my age could be doing, I am living vicariously through your report. I too want to visit this funny island and am interested in knowing more about it. I flew over it so I can say I have seen it but unfortunately the plane continued to JNB despite my protests. You would be amazed to know how cranky flight attendants can be when you mention parachutes.

I dont fly AF but it sounds like a treat. At some point in my life when I have an income I want to try some of these other airlines and go to new places that OW doesnt go to.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Land Segment 1: Parking Stand to the Terminal! (and the lounges at CDG, too)

Land Segment #1
Parking Stand in BFE to CDG Terminal 2C
Depart 6:47a, Arrive 7:05a
Air France Bus
Window Seat

Okay, I've had some long bus rides at CDG, but this was the worst. Luckily they didn't cram the bus too full, but man did we go for a ride - first we cruised at least a couple of miles, passing planes and ground crews--the driver occasionally waving to people--then a terminal, going under a crisscrossed jumble of overpasses. We circled a bit, then went under the same area again! I realize they're short on gates and that 7:00am on Friday is CDG Rush Hour, but there were plenty of other places we could have parked...

Finally, we arrive at 2C and I exit the bus - I went inside and upstairs to the passport control area to find a sea of people filling the area where you normally queue up - there were only two booths open! Every ten minutes or so, I moved forward about two feet. Finally it appeared that the leftmost area had begun to not only take some shape as a line but was moving a bit, so I inched over and cut in front of a rather large man who had just cut in himself, so as to avoid any objection. 10 minutes later, by 7:45, I was through.

I exited baggage claim and made my way to the Arrivals Lounge to grab some chow and take a shower. The arrivals lounge is kind of hard to find (that is, unless you look at the map they give you, in which case it's right where it says it is, but I forgot about the map )... it's tucked at the end of 2C before the shops. The agent at the desk was friendly and welcomed me, and I presented my stub from the NY flight. She tapped a few keys and said "You are connecting to Tananarive, monsieur?"

"Oui." I handed her my next boarding pass and she said my flight was on time, from terminal 2A gate A39. I took the boarding pass back and went to the back to take a shower. A lounge employee in the hallway looked at me and asked something to the effect of Vous desirez la douche? Venez la, so I followed her to one of the shower suites. "Merci," I said and she nodded and left.

Knowing even basic French is very empowering at Charles de Gaulle - I'd learned a little over the previous few days in preparation for French-speaking Madagascar and it proved very useful both at CDG and with the Air France flight crew - I got a lot more accomplished than I had in previous trips knowing no French at all.

The shower suite was clean, and amenities included a razor, toothbrush, various facial cleansers I know not the uses of, and shampoo/conditioner. In the shower, I found three unmarked stainless steel knobs, which I briefly stared blankly at before finding out their functions by trial and error - one turned the (powerful) shower on, one controlled the temperature, and one switched water flow from the shower head to side jets! Very impressive.

After the shower and shave, I had a pastry and lots of water - they were out of orange juice but that wasn't the end of the world.

It was around 8:15 and I figured I'd make my way over to 2A shortly after 9. First, I needed to call the Hilton Madagascar with my flight info to have the airport car ready upon my arrival, and I wanted to print out the confirmation of my award redemption - HHonors had said they would not be mailing a certificate because the redemption was too close to the arrival date but simply to present the confirmation ID they'd emailed me.

My printer at home wouldn't print, the computers at DFW were occupied, ATL's was out of service, and there was no printer at JFK . Unfortunately, there was not one at CDG either, so I'd just have to deal with that on arrival. I wrote the ID on a napkin.

I bought an AT&T prepaid phonecard online and wrote down the number and pin - the phone in the lounge wouldn't let me dial the access number so I surfed a while and left around 8:50. A payphone worked, but after taking the money from my card, the call wouldn't connect and I was returned to the AT&T main menu. At $3.12 a minute, I was not impressed. 15 minutes with the operator had my credit refunded, but she said the call still could not be placed, and to try in a couple of hours. I guess I'd just have to deal with that on arrival, too. I think I'd just gotten my first taste of Madagascar .

After passport control and security, I proceeded to the noisy, busy, and hot 2A lounge (with no separate FC section). I read a paper and proceeded to gate 39 around 9:35am.

Overall, the arrivals lounge is quite nice, very well-done, and clean. Ample towels are provided and the staff is very friendly. I believe all SkyTeam Elite Plus have access upon arriving from long-haul flights of any class, and anyone in business or first has access regardless of status.

-------------------------------------

Part 5, written 3 Sep 04, typed 9 Sep 04.

Currently ~80°F, started to rain so I went inside. Manakara, Madagascar... you're gonna love my report of this town .

My watch stopped and there are no clocks around so FlyerTalk will have to tell you what time it is. Eastern Time + 7hrs.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
This is absolutely amazing - one of those places that you see on the map but never hear much about...
Old Sep 9, 2004, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Flight Segment #4 of 8

Flight Segment #4 of 8
AF908 CDG-TNR
Depart 10:15a (actual 10:49a), Arrive 10:00p (actual 10:12p)
Airbus 340-300
Departure Gate: 2A/A39, Arrival Gate: The only one
Seat 1K, First Class (Window)

Boarding was delayed so I perused an expensive clothing shop under the watchful eye of its attendant, then a duty free shop that was seemingly unattended before wandering around the gate area, which evidently was one big smoking lounge. Most of the other pax were French, with some Italians (I could tell from the Alitalia bagtags and the conversations) and a fair number of Malagasy... nobody was dressed too business-like; this was definitely a much different group than on the New York flight.

As we boarded (I boarded with the first group, rows 39+, because I felt like getting on the plane), two American girls and two Welsh girls were in front of me. One of the Americans was from San Francisco, the other (kind of cute) was from Oakland. They boarded, then the Welsh did, and after I handed over my boarding pass and got my stub, I continued down the jetway, where Oakland was waiting for me - apparently her sister was in the peace corps and she was visiting for a while. We talked a bit more and then I boarded and turned left. "Have a nice trip!" I said... I had a feeling that was the last contact with an American I would have for a while, and that was fine with me.

I settled into my seat and again immediately changed into the Christian Lacroix pajamas - I was the only passenger to do so, but then again I needed some rest on this flight, and as it was a day flight nobody else was really bent on sleeping all that much. On the A343, there is one row of first class, 6 across. IIRC, it was A-B-D-F-J-K, but I could be wrong, it might have been F-G instead of D-F. Regardless, the cabin was surprisingly full, as I'd checked ITN just two hours earlier and it showed 2 seats available. Must have been a couple of opups.

1A was a Mexican businessman, 1B and 1D were a large elderly Frenchman and his Malagasy wife (they both wanted aisle seats), 1F was a 28ish-year-old smartly-dressed sharp-looking guy with expensive sunglasses, and the guy next to me (1J) was a French expat who now lived in Ivange, near Tana, and was in charge of one of Malagasy Railway companies, all of which had been privatised (and financed largely by USAID) in recent years.

We were served champagne, the same Lanson Noble Cuvee, and the FA was reasonably friendly and made some smalltalk... he'd worked in Houston at some point and made it a point to talk about Texas for a little while.

I was pleasantly surprised that everything was still in both French and English even on this completely French-speaking route, and the crew spoke good English as well (at least up front).

We pushed back quite a bit late, but taxi was short and takeoff was smooth, and the captain informed us that flying time would be 10 hours and 10 minutes, so we shouldn't be too late. After takeoff, we flew east out of Paris, took a turn southwest for a few minutes, and then got on our south-southeasterly heading for the long flight ahead across the dark continent.

I was again presented with a menu, this time detailing our choices for Lunch and Dinner:

----------

Menu a la carte:

Appetizer
Scallop tartlet with mango,
gingerbread with foie gras,
breast of duck brochette with pineapple,
endive filled with celery mousse and trout roe

Choice of hors d'oeuvre
Foie gras terrine
with simmered carrots and wild mushrooms

Vegetable terrine
with lightly spiced melon juice

Mixed salad, hearts of palm,
Aoste ham and green asparagus

Fresh seasonal salad

Choice of main courses
Pan seared filet of beef with licorice sauce
and crisp vegetables

Oven-roasted sea bass
accented by cream sauce flavored with star anise,
carrots with coriander and grilled zucchini

Pan-seared lamb noisette,
curry flan and artichokes with lavender

Today's special dish: Please refer to the insert card
for today's special dish.

[Insert card:

Free-range chicken tajine
A fillet of free-range chicken
is served on a bed of spiced vegetables.
It is accompanied by a steamed potato.]

Our special selection of cheese
Camembert, fourme de Montbrison, sainte-maure,
gratte-paille, comté

Fresh bakery selection
Polaine bread, mini baguette, country-style bread

Dessert Cart
Petits fours frais
Strawberry tart, banana-rasperry crumble,
chocolate cake
Sherbet served with cookies
Assortment of fresh fruit

--

Buffet:

Sandwiches

Cookies

Baskets of dried and fresh fruit

If you prefer, you may also ask your flight attendant
to serve you ar your seat.

--

Dinner:

Hors d'oeuvre
Herbed fillet of salmon
and zucchini mirepoix with olive oil

Choice of main courses
Pan seared veal with honey,
dauphinoise potatoes au gratin
and eggplant ratatouille

Our special selection of cheese
Langres, beaufort, olivet cendre

Dessert
Fresh fruit salad

-----------

The same wines were available:

-Champagne: Lanson Noble Cuvee 1998

-White Bordeaux Liqueur: Sauternes 1er Cru Classe 1999,
Chateau de Rayne Vigneau

-White Burgundy: Chablis 1er Cru "Vallions" Vielles Vignes 2000,
Domaine Laroche

-Red Rhone Valley: Chateauneuf-du-Pape "Clos de l'Oratoire" 2000,
Maison Ogier & Fils

-Red Bordeaux: Grand Cru Classe 1998, Chateau La Tour Carnet

----------

The appetiser, or "mise en bouche" was immediately presented, along with a box of cheese-filled "mini-crepe" snacks. A drink request and meal request was taken and I got a scotch and soda, and ordered the terrine de foie gras and filet de boeuf (the lamb was all gone, or that would have been my first choice). The four bite-sized appetizers were okay (not great), but I ate the scallop tartlet last, and it had a huge amount of lemon zest on it, leaving a bad bitter taste in my mouth that took the entire scotch and soda to get rid of.

The crumbly snack things were fine, but as I continued to open the foil pouch, I opened a bit to hard, and BAM! orange flakes went flying all over my pajamas. I couldn't stand up because of the tray table, so I brushed and brushed and brushed and finally managed to sweep the flakes away . Clumsy number two.

10-15 minutes after the appetizer was cleared, I was presented with a salad of mixed greens (everyone got this), and as we flew over Les Alpes, the captain announced Mont Blanc would be visible on the left. Drat. If I'd selected 1B when I had the chance, I'd have been able to see Mont Blanc and I'd have had my lamb. Oh well, the view was nice anyways.

The foie gras was good but not as smooth as the night before's, and it was a much bigger portion, which in this case was just way too much of such a rich item. It was served with a tasty quinelle of carrot mash, which accompanied it nicely... I'd say I ate about 2/3 of the foie gras.

The beef followed shortly after, and was again perfectly cooked and perfectly tender, and went great with the little jar of grain mustard I chose... the vegetables, however, were anything but crispy.

We crossed into the Mediterranean near Genoa (again, on the left), and wouldn't see land again until the southern Italian islands came into view.

After the main course, we were presented with a large cheese board, from which I asked for a bit of camembert, comté, and goat cheese. I exchanged my Chateau La Tour for a glass of champagne and ate the wonderful fresh cheeses with a baguette and a bunch of absolutely massive grapes.

Then, the dessert cart rolled in... I picked out a nice tall chocolate mousse-cake and had some strawberries, and a nice rich port. All in all, life was good.

After lunch, I watched Ladykillers, which was somewhat entertaining, and Mount Etna passed right by my window. As our little white plane continued making its long red line across the earth, I reclined my seat into a bed, put my Bose on, and took a nap. It was about 1:30pm.

I woke up as we roared through the Sudan, just south of Khartoum. It was getting late into the afternoon, and when I opened my window, all I could see was the desolate terrain below, the African sun in the distance, shining on the lone inhabitant of the barren landscape, the Nile River, which curved and twisted its way through the desert.

A bottle of Evian had been placed in the pocket in front of me, and the FA came over to ask if I needed anything - I asked him about the available snacks, and he said he'd bring something back for me. A minute later, he brought an egg-salad sandwich and a minibagel, and after I finished those he presented me with a tray of dried fruits and (yum) dates.

We took about a 10-degree turn toward southwest and headed toward Nairobi and Mt. Kilimanjaro - there was a place I wanted to get to someday... I watched a great French movie (I forget the name), talked off and on with 1J, who recommeded some lodges, and relaxed as our plane drew its line right through Nairobi. I'm not sure if it has something to do with flying over Africa at night or if it was just the way the flight paths were, but we went directly "through" Khartoum, Nairobi, Dar es Salaam, and even Moroni, the capital of the Comoros. Maybe it was a security thing, I don't know, but it was not the most direct path.

Unfortunately it was pitch dark by the time we got anywhere near Kilimanjaro, because it was just to the right of the flight path and would have been great viewing - as we passed Zanzibar and Dar es Salaam, dinner was being served. I chose the veal, which was again served perfectly cooked, though when I asked for a jar of mustard this time, I got a bit of a stare along with it. ::Note to self - mustard with beef, not with veal::

At first the potatoes au gratin scared me because they resembled the square block served in Y a month ago, but these were much tastier - the ratatouille, unfortunately, was a miss. This time, a preplated selection of cheese was offered, which I accepted, but I only ate about a third of it because I was so stuffed.

I listened to music and talked to 1J for the turbulent duration of the flight and changed back into my street clothes at about 9:25. As I put on my khakis, I heard a loud zipping sound - my pants had torn! Oh no! Of course, I would have to wait to change my clothes until I got my bag. Oh well, I'd live.

As you land into Ivato airport, you'd hardly know you were in a capital city of almost two million... orange and white lights sparsely dot the ground below, and even the airport itself is barely visible - the only building with more than a few lightbulbs illuminating it is the hangar! There is no terminal per se, just this one moderate-sized wooden building that is very dimly lit from the outside. The landing was rough and off-kilter, but not too bad, and we taxied into an unmarked parking area next to an Air Madagascar 767, where the plane was met by a staircase.

Customs at Ivato is very fast if you're a foreigner and already have your visa - you just walk to the "visitor with visa" line (I was of course first to the booth), hand your passport to the policeman who stamps the visa, and go to baggage claim. There is a separate first/business class baggage claim, but make sure your bags get the "priority" green tag - mine just had "Priority" written on the bagtag itself because DFW doesn't have the green tags, so my bag (after a 40 minute wait) was dumped on the economy class belt.

All the while, an Air France-jacketed airport employee was waiting with me and talking about random things - he'd asked me where I was staying, I said the Hilton and asked if I should call them about the car. He left and came back five minutes later and said the car was here and ready to go ^^. Cool.

He also made me untuck my shirt to cover the tear in my pants. I did, though I was not wearing a shirt for untucking and probably looked even goofier than I had before. "Otherwise you lose the respect," he said, and gave me a thumbs up.

There is a word in Malagasy called fady, which basically translates to "taboo", or things that it is not good to do. Fady include such things as killing certain animals, asking for salt directly, working land on Tuesdays, and having funerals on Thursdays. Apparently wearing torn pants was fady on Friday .

As soon as I pointed out my bag, he whisked it onto a cart and directed me to a "nothing to declare" line, which I was immediately waved through upon merely flashing my American passport, though every Malagasy was subjected to a thorough search.

The AF guy met me on the other side, grabbed the cart, and ran with it toward the car park. I ran with him - I'd have to change at the hotel, I guess... my bags were loaded onto the Hilton van and I gave him a two-euro coin I'd brought expressly for tipping because I'd have no other use for it; I got in the can and we raced away from the airport at 100 kilometers an hour into the darkness of Antananarivo.

---------------------------------------------

Part 6, written 4 Sep 04, typed 9 Sep 04.

This concludes the "Air France" portion of the trip report (finally!)
I appreciate everyone's praise, and will post the Madagascar segments as soon as I am able to.

This was typed in Manakara, as was the previous segment, in a wooden shack that is decked out with a few computers and phones. Internet is 1000Fmg per minute but works like a charm. It's about 68 degrees, cooling off, and getting dark. I'm going back to my hotel room now because the mosquitoes are coming out, but am flying back to Tana tomorrow and should have Internet access there tomorrow or Saturday.

Thanks for reading, everyone!

Last edited by platbrownguy; Sep 9, 2004 at 9:01 am
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
This is shaping up to be a truly wonderful report. Sounds like quite a trip. I am impressed that, as a 19 y/o, you are making such a trip on your own. I did not make my first solo trip until after college. Good for you!
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Most excellent report!^ Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Dupe.........

Last edited by Cholula; Sep 9, 2004 at 10:37 pm
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Once again, I must compliment platbrownguy on his excellent report! Truly fascinating. I have a journalism degree which I’ve never used and I’m envious of his writing skills.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:23 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Great report. One of the best trips of my life was sailing from Mombasa to the Seychelles. A particular highlight, aside from wondering whether there would be another civil war in the Comoros Islands, was our stop in Nosy Be, Madagascar. Particularly loved the enthusiasm with which we were greeted (only about 60 pax on the ship). The Lemurs are unforgettable. Thanks for reviving some great memories. See you in VCE and we'll share more.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:06 am

^ Great report! I'm looking forward to the rest of it!
Old Sep 10, 2004, 1:22 pm

Programs: Northwest, Starwood, Hilton HHonors Silver
Thanks for writing, and I'm looking forward to reading about Madagascar ... definitely one of the places on my list!
Old Sep 10, 2004, 2:41 pm

I love the report so far and wait for more. Madagascar has always interested me since I was very young and saw lemurs in an encyclopedia nd wonded where in the world were these animals (other than zoos).

Keep up the good work and look forward to more.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 7:20 am
Original Poster

The first two days!

Day 1: Friday 3 Sep 2004, Antananarivo
My first impression of the drive from Ivato reminded me of India—no large buildings, hand-drawn advertisements everywhere, small people in the streets cooking things over small fires in front of small shops... we made the 35-minute journey in just about 17 minutes though, so it was hard to see much. The ultra-modern “Galana” gazstationnes looked like something out of a sci-fi movie, but nothing else stood out too much. The roads were narrow but well-maintained, although everyone just drove in the middle of the road until confronted with oncoming traffic!

I arrived at the hotel to have my bags whisked away by the bellman... I guess I’d have to change in my room! I approached the counter. I began to check in using my pidgin French as best as I could, but after a bit the woman told me in English, “Yes sir, your rate is 210 euro each night.” 210 euros?! I could live for a week, if not longer, on 210 euros in this country.

“Madame, les deux nuits sont gratuit,” I insisted, presenting the napkin and repeating “Yes, I used my points” over and over again... After much drama, she still could not see any redemption and didn’t understand why I didn’t have a certificate, but finally said the manager would contact me tomorrow and gave me my key. Fair enough... I just needed to change my pants.

I turned around, and who should be standing there? The Air France FAs, of course! I said hello and, very embarrassed, covered my pants with my ticket jacket as I walked toward the elevator. I watched CNN for a bit after changing back into the AF pyjamas, and dozed off. Overall, the hotel was fine, but barely up to Hilton standards. Beer from the minibar was 70 cents.

-----------------------------------

Day 2: Saturday 4 Sep 2004, Antananarivo
I didn’t sleep long, however.Around 01:45, for whatever reason, I rolled over, stood up, and realized there was a casino in the hotel so I figured I’d check it out. I changed and strolled down to the casino to find a relatively small slots room and a good sized table games room – I found the blackjack tables, the highest one being a $3 minimum/30 maximum table! For Malagasy standards I’m sure this was adequate, but considering the hotel’s room rate I’d have thought at least a 250000Fmg table would be available, but no. The house rules got two big - double on 11 only, no resplit aces, and when you hit the cut card near the end of the shoe, all of the cards not in play get shuffled right then during the hand!

I found out the casino closed at 3, which was fine, but just after the house got a nice hot streak at 02:47, the floorwoman says fini! fermé. Very shady.

I left, only down about 40 bucks, and fell asleep hard after ordering and eating a mediocre room service burger.

-----

When I woke up, I looked at my watch. 6:30! Crap, I’d slept 14 hours! I shot up and looked around. The room clock said 6:30 also. I turned on the TV but it was dark in Florida. ?!?! Then it hit me when I saw the CNN clock – it was 6:30 am.

I wasn’t tired in the least and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why I felt so awake, but I credited it to the excitement of being in Madagascar. I forced myself to sleep until 10ish, then got ready for the day.

I went downstairs to the business center to get online – 10000Fmg per 15 minutes wasn’t peanuts, but i had to print my confirmation (or at least the reservation page from the Hilton website) for the manager.

As I was printing the Hilton.com page, two hotel-uniformed men entered, each carrying one side of a large signboard, at least three feet wide, upon which my name had been ornately and intricately chalked. “Monsieur Platbrownguy, la directeur attende.”

Only Francisco Pizarro himself, upon being summoned to the presence of the Incan Emperor Atahualpa could know what I felt as these men fetched me. I was truly in a third-world country. This was unreal.

Unlike Francisco Pizarro, however, I did not leave with a room full of gold nor did I kill 10,000 Incas – nevertheless, my printout did serve as sufficient proof for the manager and I was let loose.

It was 11:30, time to see the city!

Antananarivo, in the right light, is really a very beautiful city – colorful houses and churches dot the hill that is the main focus point of the city... today was definitely the right light. As I left my hotel, walking along the stagnant but pleasant Lac Anosy toward city centre, the sky looked perfect – a shade of blue behind the picturesque landscape that no computer could ever replicate fully.

I followed my map a half mile or so and then approached a tunnel – there was no tunnel on my map, so I did the only sensible thing and put the map away – I was supposed to get lost now... the map was for later, when I wanted to find my way back.

On the other side of the tunnel, I passed a bus stop and came to a deep, labyrinthine market—first I walked through rows and rows of women’s clothing... then school supplies, then tailors-what’s that smell? Two more rows down and I found it – the food market. In stalls, on the street, and everywhere in between were all sorts of fruits and vegetables – tomatoes 500Fmg a kilo, mangoes 1000Fmg a kilo (that’s 2 cents a mango!)... I turned left and there was the ultimate source of the smell – fish heads.

Further along I passed dried fish and whole fish, red fish and blue fish, flies buzzing all around, then the meats! Whole chickens – feathered or not, chicken parts, blood dripping down the side of the stall, and whole sides and ribcages of zebu, the Malagasy humped cow, hanging from the ceilings, swaying in the wind – a sight (and smell) indeed.

I got back streetside of the market and looked around. Everywhere, people carried things-everything-tires, printer cartridges, bags of rice, produce-lots of which was carried on their heads!

I walked down a ways and found a men’s clothing shop – a nice Lacoste shirt and a postcard, 30000Fmg. Fake or not, it’s good quality. 5 mintes later I came to Avenue de l’Independance, the main street in Tana. Grassed in the middle, it’s quite nice, save for the beggars on the sides and the children urinating on the curbs.

At O! Poivre Vert, one of Tana’s better restaurants, I had a great meal of braised zebu with fresh made-in-house-right-then pasta for 32000Fmg, and continued my exploration. I walked all over town, in and out of all sorts of shops – clothing, electronics, video – some of the shops were decidedly Malagasy, others would not have been out of place at all in New York City.

I decided to walk to the top of the hill to see what I could see, and damn near passed out doing so (all the while being passed by the locals who were used to the arduous climb). The work was worth it, however – the view was incredible and the whole city could be seen from the hilltop.

I bought a bottle of Eau Vive (the national bottled water) from the shop at the top of the hill – 2500Fmg, but my 25000Fmg note was met with a scowl. The shopkeeper barely had enough money to change the $2.50 bill, and my Merci beaucoup went unanswered. As I went down the hill, exhausted, I took some pictures and hailed a cab to return to the Hilton. I must have walked a fair distance because the taxi ride took 20 minutes to get me back to the hotel!

I watched CNN for a couple of hours, wrote a bit, and fell asleep. This time, I really was tired – no shady casino tonight.

------------------------------------------

Part 7; Written 4-5 Sep 2004, typed 10 & 13 Sep 2004.

Sorry this was so long; the other days are a bit shorter. I'd typed this in Manakara on Friday but the phones weren't working and they cut off electricity on the weekends. I'm finally back in Tana but will hold off typing any more until Thursday because of the French keyboards...

It's in the upper 70°s, partly cloudy, and the internet costs 40 cents an hour. It is 4:20pm.

Tomorrow I'm going up to Diego, near Nosy Be, to see the lemurs - I've heard Nosy Be itself is very nice but on the expensive side and has gotten very touristy in recent years with French and Italians, so I'm opting for a hopefully less touristy excursion to that part of the isle.

Obscure2K, I was hoping to take a ferry or hitch a ride on a cargo ship out to the Comoros or Mayotte if I had the time, but getting around takes so long here that I wasn't able to... that sounds like a great sail. See you in VCE!

Last edited by platbrownguy; Sep 13, 2004 at 7:30 am
Old Sep 13, 2004, 9:19 am

Wonderful. Thank you. It is a great report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.