Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Earning miles on *Alliance flights - a helpful guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2004, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)

This is more something I would like to have rather than something I can currently provide to you. I think with all the recent changes (kicked off especially by our dear friend LH) it is becoming a real challenge to work out how many miles you get for your loyality. In fact, with some booking classes now earning zero miles, I hardly think that FFPs can be called "loyality programs" any longer. How do they value my loyality if I fly 20 RT trips in T class a year and end up with 0 miles? Am I a loyal customer? Yes. Does that get acknowledged? No! But let's move back to the topic

What I would like to get compiled over the next few weeks maybe is some kind of master thread which provides links to the corresponding threads in each *Alliance discussion board outlining the new earning conditions.

Here are the ones I could find some useful information about (and all the credits go to the members who have thankfully spend their time on pulling these together for everyone!).

Air New Zealand Airpoints Dollars:

Information on the completely new Airpoints program can be found here. Air New Zealand has an earning summary for *Alliance/Mixed Carriers flights on their website. Note that for pure NZ itineraries different earnings apply. The changes are so drastic that I gave up on that one, but I'm sure there are experts out there who can enlighten us and maybe compile the information into one thread. Until the new changes come into effect this thread by Kiwi Flyer gives a great overview for current earnings.

Air Canada Aeroplan:

Earnings for LH flights have recently changed according to this thread by Empress . Thanks to Al B we now have a current earning chart for Aeroplan here .

ANA Mileage Club:

As WindFlyer pointed out the ANA website has some good information, however without the booking classes.

Asiana Club:

Thanks to hclee01 for his summary. Many thanks to croc for pointing out the English version of the Korean website which seems to have the most updated earning rates for *Alliance flights by booking class. As mentioned by LapLap a good general introduction into Asiana Club can be found in this thread. Also note that V and W class on OZ will earn less than 100% miles according to this discussion.

British Midland Diamond Club:

Until barella is updating his wonderful online guide the BD website provides a calculator for earning rates in the DC program and also a great table covering all booking classes for each carrier . Thanks to WindFlyer to point this one out.

Lufthansa Miles&More:

Many thanks to curt for this compilation (Added Sept 05: Not sure whether this thread is accurate at the moment, so please also check the LH website for an overview of earnings for each Star Alliance partner

Singapore Airlines KrisfFyer:

All I could find so far is the online calculator on the SQ website, however, when I tested it it didn't seem to work at all. So, any help and link to a earning site would be appreciated!

Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus:

Many thanks to hclee01 and Kenji for this compilation

United Airlines Mileage Plus:

The most recent thread for earning rates on Star Alliance members in the UA MP program compiled by qasr can be found here. Many thanks also to WindFlyer for his original compilation.

If you know any more threads that have good compilations regarding earning rates, either post them below or PM me so that I can add them to this list. I was thinking about also posting the complete booking classes and mileage earning tables for each carrier here, however, I think the thread would become extremely long. As I now know Kiwi Flyer is currently working on such an idea, too.

As much as I would like to see this list grow I'd rather want the airlines to reconsider their changes and notice the chaos they have created by doing this. Keep up the good work and let's see whether we can keep up the FT spirit by making the best out of every change through the power of knowledge sharing!

Last edited by Sydfly; Oct 31, 2005 at 10:52 pm Reason: Updated link for LH
Old Sep 6, 2004, 6:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
A good idea. ^^

There are so many changes to FFPs and earning miles in particular it is difficult to keep track of, and I (and many others I am sure) will be reassessing which FFP to have as my main one once I get my head around it more.

Unfortunately it seems a lot of these changes have been with little notice or not provided enough detail of the changes to get the full picture. Hopefully we'll get these as folk post what changes they experience.

A three-way table would provide the most detail (being carrier, booking class & FFP) but may be tricky to keep up to date and there would still be plenty of exceptions (eg certain routes/regions earning differently to others). If I get the time I will see whether some existing comparison charts I have (without booking class) may be easily modified to provide this kind of info.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One for the OZ minority

Great Idea! hope it will work!!

I wish I could figure out how to copy and paste a link to a thread

In the 'Other Asian Programmes' Forum the following thread proved invaluable in helping me make a decision:

"Asiana Club questions"

Also, the thread called "Asiana to cut back miles on Y class" gave details of a change to the programme which is almost impossible to find in the Asiana Website.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 3:14 am

AIR CANADA AEROPLAN.

Aeroplan earners by carrier - (not doing Status, just pure earn miles).
Unless stated otherwise, all classes earn on a 1 for 1 basis for base mileage.

UA - all UA flights/classes including UA* and Ted. 500 miles minimum earn. UA code must be operated by a Star partner to earn.

SQ - O I R G X Q N or V classes earn NO mileage. 500 miles minimum earn. Code must be operated by * partner to earn.

TG - all TG flights/classes - those with code must be operated by Star partner to accrue. 500 miles minimum accrue.

OS - E K L N P R T classes earn NO mileage.
J C Y B earn 100%
M H Q G V now earn only 70%
W S now earn only 50%
500 miles minimum earn & OS code flights must be operated by Star partner to earn. Lauda charter flights do not earn.

LH - Intra-Euro now only earn 50% mileage in all classes.
All other routes - F A C D Z Y B H Q V G earn 100%
W & S only earn 50%. T & L earn 0 miles

SK & KF - W U K T L G earn only 25% mileage. Other classes earn 100%. Coded flights must be operated by * partner to accrue. Flights from ARN to Malmo, Gothenberg & Lulea earn NO miles.

RG - G T S L N classes earn NO mileage. Rio-Sul and Nordeste flights do accrue. RIO-SAO shuttle does not earn. 500 mile minimum earn.

LO - R P N U classes earn NO mileage. 500 mile minimum earn.

BD - ITX Fares do not accrue mileage. 500 mile minimum earn. bmibaby flights do NOT accrue, nor do BD charter flts.

JK - Q V T W K G classes on Int'natl flights earn only 50%.
J Z D C Y B M H earn 100% on International
M H S Q V L T W K G on Domestic earn 125 miles max.
C D J Z Y U B on Domestic earn 100%
No coded flights accrue.

OZ - R N G classes earn NO mileage. 500 mile minimum earn.

JP - Intra Euro flights earn only 50% for classes Y and downwards. All other flights earn 100% except W and S which earn 50%. T & L classes earn nothing at any time.

US - All US, US* and US Shuttle earn exact mileage on flights under 500 miles, and 100% on flights over 500 miles.

OU - Intra Euro flights, all classes from Y down earn only 50%. On all other flights, every class earns 100% except W and S which earn 50%.
T and L classes earn nothing on any flight.

NH - All flights/classes earn. 500 mile minimum earn. Coded flights must be operated by * partner to earn.

NZ - L N K S G classes earn NO mileage. 500 mile minimum earn.

TP -
500 miles minimum earn. W S K & L earn only 50% mileage.
G & T earn 0.
All others earn 100%. ( C D Z Y B M H Q & V )
Earn available on all TP scheduled flights and TP coded flights operated by another Star partner.

On all partners, the C.O.S. bonus for F cabins (where operated) is an extra 50% and J cabins are an extra 25%.

AC
Domestic : J C Y M U earn 100% mileage - min earn 500 miles.
All other buckets earn 50% mileage - R I N G P E T classes are earn only, no status/Q miles.
Min earn on domestic fare buckets that are not J C Y M U is 250 miles.
Carribbean : J C Y earns 100%. M B T H V earns 75%. Q L N E G I K O R U earns 50%.
All other routes (including "Trans-Border" or USA-Canada flights). A 100% earn rate in all classes, except R I N G P E T classes which have a 50% earn rate only - no status.

X Z and promo fares earn nada on any route.

Last edited by Al B; Mar 29, 2005 at 3:13 am Reason: Updated to include TP earning eff 14 MAR 05.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:45 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Sample format for an aggregated table here

Not sure whether including the minimum miles clutters it too much? Could also break up the table in 2 so dont have to scroll across. Any comments?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 7, 2004 at 8:25 pm
Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Air NZ earning charts

Links to current Airpoints earning chart and new (from 16 Nov 04) Airpoints earning chart. In both cases not all booking codes are listed, but the new "special" cases are noted.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Thanks, Al B for this great summary for AC. I don't think I can link directly to a post within a thread, but your post is only #4 so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Kiwi Flyer, I think a table like that would be great. Wouldn't it be easier to list routing exceptions such as LH within Europe down under the carrier rather than across? This way you could look for the exact flight you are taking e.g. LH UK-Germany in W class and then read across all carriers to find out which one would credit you with the most miles for that particular flight. If we can get that information together we would be all set
Old Sep 7, 2004, 7:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I thought about that. However for some carriers I am already getting lots of rows due to different treatment by various FFPs.

The extra columns for M&M (and also BD maybe others too) is related to just the specific FFP (so everyone else can ignore).

Of course could revert to one row for every booking code for every carrier which I think solves that issue (maybe one or two exceptions which can be noted at the bottom). However we then end up with a very long table.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 8:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Okay updated link posted above. Even though only partly done already it exceeds character limit for single post. Any ideas to cut back on the size?

Do we need the minimum miles? (I'd still want to indicate fixed miles.)

Maybe standardise more (larger groupings of codes) but indicate exceptions as notes rather than separate row?

Maybe one post per FFP in which case no problem with character limit?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 9:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Alternate format here

Is this one any better?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:33 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Not exactly along the lines of KiwiFlyer's project, but I put together a thread in the UA forum listing the current state of MP vis-a-vis earning miles on *A partners.

While putting that together, I found a couple of pages on the airlines' websites that may of useful or interest to others:
  • NH's domestic and international earning guides, which are informative, but fail to match descriptions to booking classes
  • BD's comprehensive mileage earning chart, which should be the model for other programs in presentation of their overly complex schemes ^
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Maybe one post per FFP in which case no problem with character limit?
I would vote for this; unless there is already a thread in that FFP's forum, in which case a link should suffice.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WindFlyer
Not exactly along the lines of KiwiFlyer's project, but I put together a thread in the UA forum listing the current state of MP vis-a-vis earning miles on *A partners.

While putting that together, I found a couple of pages on the airlines' websites that may of useful or interest to others:
  • NH's domestic and international earning guides, which are informative, but fail to match descriptions to booking classes
  • BD's comprehensive mileage earning chart, which should be the model for other programs in presentation of their overly complex schemes ^
Thanks, WindFlyer for putting this together for UA MP. I included your link in the inital post and left a comment in your original thread.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Sydfly
Thanks, WindFlyer for putting this together for UA MP. I included your link in the inital post and left a comment in your original thread.
You are welcome.

Thank you for starting this thread and giving me the motivation to finally put together UA's table
Old Sep 9, 2004, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

NZ booking class credit thread

Will need extensive updating for changes to Airpoints effective 16 Nov 2004.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.