Wiki Posts
Search

Bkk-sin Sq 63 First Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2004, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Bkk-sin Sq 63 First Class

SQ TRIP REPORT BKK-SIN First class

In my RTW Star Alliance I took a very short flight to SIN. Great trip as I hope this report shows.

Check IN
After an overnight stay in the Amari Airport Hotel in BKK, I headed out to the SQ check in line in terminal 2. BKK has two terminals and SQ is in this terminal. I was able to check in without any lines at all. Then I was given a boarding pass and was invited to the first class lounge past security. Incidentally before passport control it is imperative to pay 500 baht departure tax.

Lounge
SQ has two lounges at BKK. Even though they only fly to SIN from BKK, I was impressed by the first class lounge here. There was internet access, hot foods including thai fish balls, pork dumplings, sui mai, and a whole selection of cold sandwiches. There was also an ice cream freezer with individual Haagen Dazs ice creams. After a bite to eat I was able to do some shopping and bought a digital camera for 150 dollars less than in US.

Boarding
I have never seen such an orderly type of boarding process. Although the flight was not crowded, boarding took only 10 minutes, and we were on our way. We departed from gate 52. Flight 63 was a 747 with 3 classes of service. Even though this flight was so short the service was remarkable. Was offered Dom Perignon upon boarding. Being so early in the day, I decided to have a ginger ale, which was served with some cashews.
There were only three people in first class, which had the SKY SUITES. I have not flown SQ in a while and I forgot how private the suites are.

Menu
APPETIZERS
Parma Ham with prawn salad, cherry tomato and sesame soya dressing

MAIN COURSES
Stir fried beef fillet with spring onion and ginger in oyster sauce served with braised beancurd roll and fresh straw mushrooms, steamed rice
Pan fried pork fillet served with sweet and sour port wine sauce, caps mushroom risotto and buttered asparagus
Grilled sea bass served with lobster sauce, leek and onion ragout and buttered potato

FRESH FRUIT

DESSERT
Vanilla panna cotta with lemongrass infused pomelo and orange salsa

All of this for a one hour and 42 minute flight. Quite a feast. I had the sea bass which was wonderful.
I do not know how many of you have experienced the new inflight entertainment program on SQ called WISEMEN 3000. It has a choice of 60 movies as well as 87 TV programs. I was even more impressed than the options offered with the Cathay Studio CX system.

The rest of the weekend was suppose to include flight segments from SIN-HKG-SIN-BKK-SYD-LAX….but I received a phone call that I may have to be back in LA a day early. I will inquire in SIN whether I can re route this ticket. I will let everyone know. Until next time…
Old Sep 4, 2004, 3:01 am
Uli

rtw4,

thank you very much for the report. i love short F flights, something like TG 606 from BKK to HKG can really make your day

for SQ, how come they have the skysuite on such a route? Maybe this is a flight SIN-BKK-XXX with XXX being a longhaul destination such as LAX or NRT?
Old Sep 4, 2004, 3:30 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Great trip report for such a short trip ^

I do this flight pretty often, but mostly in Y, so I've never been to the F lounge. Even though SQ only flies F to SIN (there are flights to ICN and KIX as well but they don't have F), there are 5 F flights a day and plenty of PPS Solitaires flying out of BKK, so the lounge had better be good.

Also, I don't know about F, but C on SQ 63 does not have the Wisemen 3000 system - it has an older Wisemen system thats just as good but with fewer selections than Wisemen 3000.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 4:49 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Uli:
SQ 63 flies only the short sector, not a part of a long haul flight.
I read somewhere in SQ board that -unfortunately- some flights between SIN and BKK have been downgraded to B777-300 (which means no SkySuites).
F on these route is quite empty. In June, I had several sectors between SIN and BKK in F (all SkySuites). All have less than 5 pax and one of the flights I was the only one. ^

Savage25:
F lounge in BKK is not much different than the C lounge. Just smaller and a little more F & B selection. I think whether or not WISEMEN is on board a certain flight depends on your luck.

Last edited by StarG; Sep 4, 2004 at 4:51 am
Old Sep 4, 2004, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Great short trip report, can't go wrong with SQ.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:23 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by RTW4
. Was offered Dom Perignon upon boarding. Being so early in the day, I decided to have a ginger ale

Noooooooooooooo

Nice report....hope to see you again soon.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 11:38 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Originally Posted by RTW4
WISEMEN 3000...
LOVE IT. If it were alive, I'd marry it. You can even create your own song lists from an AMAZING selection of titles; create the list, and you're on your way with just the songs you want to hear, in the order you want to hear 'em (and at volume, too!). Can't say enough about it.

Thanks for the recent reports.

Will

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.