Community
Wiki Posts
Search

America West is still slime

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2004, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
All airlines are 'bad', airports are crowded, there are weather problems and traffic on the runway. Getting mad or being grumpy just makes these things even worse!

If I had my way, I would charter my own private jet, but, alas, I cannot. So I am stuck, with many others, in crazy airline situations.

Actually, if I had my way, I would just stay home.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 8:53 am

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Originally Posted by Kremmen
I must say, the customer service side, both gate agents and on board, was much better. However, the management of the airline just sucks in some ways.
I fly 60+ segments a year on HP, plus segments on other carriers. I agree that the customer service is not only MUCH better than days past, but actually quite good -- esp compared with other carriers. Also agree with your complaint about booking couples together online -- but that's hardly a sign of management "sucking". If you want to get into a discussion of the shortcomings of other airline's websites, I'd need all day! (United, anyone).

How about the ways HP shines? Just a few:

1) Unlimited upgrades for elites. Except for the recent use of sardine cans, this was unparalleled.

2) Nice employees. I almost never encounter the "we don't really care, you're just a replaceable customer" attitude that I find very prevalent in other carriers. (United, anyone?) Many are exceptionally pleasant and personable.

3) Very nice premium wines in F. But -- as I 've learned, NOT on 737's (there's no room).

4) 3000 mile booking bonus. I realize it's long gone, but this bonus was just absurdly generous, and lasted a long time.

5) Cheap fares and full service. Really the only airline that offers this. Full service means first class, full access to reservation system, true elite program, full-privilege mileage program with major partners, airline club network.

6) On-time departures. The majority of my flights actually leave end arrive early.

7) The Airline That Basically is Doing Everything Right. While Continental, et al, just don't get it and have no idea what decade this is. HP's business plan is realistic and modern -- and by the way, seems to be working. That's why they are turning a profit while others continue their death spiral. (United, anyone?)

Last edited by Podcat; Aug 21, 2004 at 9:01 am
Old Aug 21, 2004, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Bidkat

1) Unlimited upgrades for elites. Except for the recent use of sardine cans, this was unparalleled.

7) The Airline That Basically is Doing Everything Right.

Unlimited upgrades for elites, an unparalleled benefit?! Try NW, CO, US, AS, and AA (For ExP's)!

On to your #7 though. In terms of management, this statement basically sums it up. Anyone who says that HP's management "just doesn't get it" or "sucks" needs to take another look. HP is turning a profit, offering low fares, a F class cabin that, although could use some glassware, is priced to match the product, and a frequent flyer program with partners, and rewards that one can actually use (unlike Trueblue, rapid rewards, and that other trash) that includes elite benefits, etc, etc, etc. HP's service enhancements have included new point-to-point flights from LAX and to Mexico. Everything about HP that is making them successful in this day of troubled skies has been a result of, IMO, great management. HP really does have it figured out- they're offering reasonably priced products, enhancing and trimming service to the right destinations, flying where people want to go, all while still offering passengers the services that they've come to expect from a major airline, like airport clubs, premium services, and elite benefits. In terms of management, you could get it any better!!! I think the real problem that people have with HP is execution. HP's business plan and marketing tactics look great on paper and in press releases, but making it happen is a whole different thing. The grife should be with employees for not following management's policies (ie: F class boarding process, etc). Also, it has been poor decisions on behalf of employees that have left people stranded out on the tarmac for 3 hours. Don't misunderstand me by viewing this as an attack on HP employees (who for the most part, IMO, are great). It is just a statement to lay the blame where it really should reside- on the employees for not executing, and then only partially on management for not communicating.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
I think the real problem that people have with HP is execution. HP's business plan and marketing tactics look great on paper and in press releases, but making it happen is a whole different thing. The grife should be with employees for not following management's policies (ie: F class boarding process, etc).
Okay, they are not the people at the very top, but they are still management.

I have heard that part of the problem regarding mechanicals is that HP keeps very little in the way of spares and may have to fly them in or get them from another airline. I have no way to verify this, but, if true, they are choosing profit over good customer service.

More importantly is how are they supposed to handle such problems? Mechanical breakdowns aren't incredibly common, but I've experienced them on a few airlines. As far as I can remember, every other airline I've experienced them on (such as United and Ansett) have chosen to get passengers onto another plane. This limits the inconvenience to passengers.

When we were wondering what would happen, I asked the HP FA (the one who'd made sure we were allowed off the plane) whether they had any idea how long it would be before the problem with be fixed. She said they didn't know yet, but she'd experienced 5 hour waits and recommended I change flights if possible.

I'm sorry if you disagree, but I consider leaving passengers to wait until the plane gets fixed to be poor management and rearranging flights to give them a different plane good management.

If any of you know whether there is an actual policy on spares and mechanicals at hub airports, it'd be enlightening. Then we'd know whether the downfall is at the implementation level of management at the airport, or at a higher level.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 5:12 pm

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Unlimited upgrades for elites, an unparalleled benefit?! Try NW, CO, US, AS, and AA (For ExP's)!
See "Think Twice Before Making Long Posts from Hotel Bed within Last Five Minutes of 30-Minute Dial-Up Call". :-)

I'm fully aware of the rumor that NW, et al also allow unlimited elites. How about _actual_ upgrades? Before the Canadian Invasion (sardine cans), it was not uncommon to get near 100% upgrades on HP, even at the lowest level (Silver). Could you find that anywhere else?

The glassware comment had me laughing. When I first started flying F back in '99, they still had it. Yes, it does go quite aways towards not making you think of Motel 6. God, is this degree of cost-cutting/security paranoia really necessary? At least they're not slowing down their planes 14MPH or limiting the whipped cream like United (yet).
Old Aug 24, 2004, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Tarmac repairs

Well regardless of whether they need to free up a gate or not, turn on the friggin' engines and make the air flow into the passengers! My GOD! I just took a flight on one of those godforsaken 737's with NO AIR VENTS.

And as far as the FA's, they really had blank looks on their faces when customers had questions or challenged the lack of air, seating room in the 22nd row and the very large, drunk group of people who were swearing up a storm...(a couple of senior citizens asked the stewardess to say something and she just looked at them with this sickening, awkward grin...and did nothing.)

AWA doesn't care about customers...
just the bottom line baby!
Old Aug 24, 2004, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by audrey2001
No, it is not.

I am sorry you feel that it is, but I have had nothing less than A-level service from HP.

When concerns have come up, they have been answered, and compensation has been *MUCH* more than fair (I have even been sent vouchers in the past without asking for them, sometimes simply for sending in constructive comments and suggestions). What other airline has a senior VP post his e-mail to FFers and respond to correspondance addressed to him, etc etc etc?

I could go on, but something tells me I would be wasting my breath.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:56 pm

My GOD! I just took a flight on one of those godforsaken 737's with NO AIR VENTS.
EVERYONE hates HP's 737's - esp. FA's (just ask one).
They are phasing out the Series 200's, which are the worst, and are supposedly phasing in more buses.

Also did you know that HP's 737's have:

1) narrower aisles
2) smaller lavatories
3) 2" less overhead space (my fully-expanded 23" fits in an Airbus, np)
4) Less galley space, hence NO PREMIUM (full-size corked bottle) wines in F
5) more engine noise (banned at some airports, e.g., LGB, after hours)

I'm not even including the more obvious like adjustable headrests, video monitors, headset capability . . .
Old Aug 26, 2004, 1:00 pm

And as far as the FA's, they really had blank looks on their faces when customers had questions or challenged the lack of air, seating room in the 22nd row and the very large, drunk group of people who were swearing up a storm...(a couple of senior citizens asked the stewardess to say something and she just looked at them with this sickening, awkward grin...and did nothing.)
I've seen FA's deplane intoxicated passengers. There is no tolerance for this now on HP or elsewhere.

It's too bad you ran afoul of such a timid and irresponsible FA, but you had other options. You should have informed the head FA, failing that, the captain or supervising GA.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by AgtMulder
What other airline has a senior VP post his e-mail to FFers and respond to correspondance addressed to him, etc etc etc?
Which senior VP is this? Scott Kirby?

I've been gold for years and never noticed his email address anywhere.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bidkat
Which senior VP is this? Scott Kirby?
Did you get the e-mail to all HP elites that was sent earlier in the summer? It was from H. Travis Christ introducing himself as the new VP of Marketing and asking for input/comments.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
I remember that. I was so busy moving I never replied. Did anyone send him the list we had made up?
Old Aug 26, 2004, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
SO not true.
That's a vicious and unfounded thing to say about an entire company.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
SO not true.
That's a vicious and unfounded thing to say about an entire company.
Isn't it? Absolutely rediculous.

However, she'll probably be back flying HP again next time they offer a low fare special.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:23 am
Suspended

Talking Agt. Mulder

Actually Mulder, I have no desire to ever fly the airline again. You obviously are an employee or member of management to be so blindly supportive of an operation that has some very basic, large, looming problems.

So be it. It's that kind of thinking with "blinders" on to the pleas of customers that has sent many an airline into thin air. I have plenty of other choices out there and fully intend to use them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.