Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

RTW on *A in Business / First (NZ UA US SQ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2004, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum

Part 1 – Introduction.
I thought that I would do a trip report of my Star Alliance (*A) round the world trip in business class. Well, paid for in business, but sitting in First or at the front of the plane where ever possible. As this is a 3 week trip, rather than do everything from memory, I will try and write as I go along, and post when able to.

The trip is:
MEL – CHC* – AKL – NRT* – SFO – IAH* – PIT – LGA | JFK – FRA – SIN – MEL

With the stars showing where I will be doing my 24 hours+ stop overs.

I really want to say what a great resource FlyerTalk is and how much easier it made my planning. Below is some of the threads I used to help make this trip easier:

One of the first posts I did asked the question how to get from Melbourne to Tokyo, as the travel agent told me what I wanted to do (go via NZ) wasn’t possible as it was back tracking. This thread told me that the agent was an idiot (which I already knew.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332492

I then wanted to get an upgrade from Business to First on the AKL – NRT leg. This thread told me that I couldn’t get a First ticket as they Air NZ don’t fly first but check in early enough and if the cabin is open, I should be able to get a bigger seat for the 11 hours.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332486

I noticed on the Air NZ web site, that they are giving double miles on US Airways flights in September, I tried to book these flights, but travel agent told me I couldn’t. This thread told me that the agent was an idiot (which I already knew.) – Company travel agent so can’t change.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332492

I wanted to upgrade from Business to First on the flights home from JFK to MEL on Singapore Air. Everyone raves about First Class on the Sky Suites, and never having even seen one up close – let alone sit in one. I spent the 65,000 and got the upgrade confirmed. This thread told me the details how to do it. I had assumed that it would have been electronic and confirmed over the phone, but found out it wasn’t so very grateful that I could get it organised in time.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340104

So flights booked all booked and ticketed. My biggest concern is the day I fly from Houston to LGA and onto JFK. I could have gone via IAD and taken the United Express flight up to NY. But that would have meant 2 connections and 2 chances for my bags to miss a flight. Plus I have never flown economy in the US, so didn’t see why I should start now. I checked out the New York Airport thread to see if I should take the Bus or Taxi between the airports – this thread told me that I had nothing to worry about and can take the bus. (I know fly in First to LGA, and fly First out of JFK and I am asking questions about a BUS?)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344038

Also, one of the questions that has been asked, - will Air NZ DVD players play standard DVD’s? I will take a selection with me and answer that question.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336886

And lastly – should this report go for humour or the facts. I am not as good a writer or have the elocution that GoldFlyer has (If my trip report doesn’t interest you, you must read this one.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182481

so mine is just going to have to be the plain old Technical report. Had 3 glasses of this champagne, can’t remember much after that, type of report.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Part 2 – MEL to CHC (Air NZ NZ 194 Business Class)
Every so often I am going to ramble on about something that is related but not quite part of a trip report. I have to say this now, as I am going to start with a ramble.

I called for a car to take me to the airport. It’s a normal taxi, but I use them sometimes and the car is very nice, rather than the pot-luck you normally get. My plane left at 6:25pm, but just before Melbourne Airport is a bit of freeway that can get very packed at evening rush hour, so I booked the car for 3:30pm to make sure I got through before rush hour started (and have plenty of time in the lounge.)

The taxi was about 20 minutes late picking me up and the driver was complaining on how busy it was, when his mobile phone went. He answered it and the caller said that she would like to bring forward her pickup time to 4:20 (about 20 minutes from now). The driver said okay and when he hung up was complaining again about what to do with that job as I was in the car. He then asked me, if I minded picking her up on the way to the airport as the pickup point and drop off was on the way.

A short time previously upon arriving in Melbourne, I had been stuck in customs for half an hour longer than expected and he had waited for me and didn’t charge any extra, so to return the favour, I said no problems, go ahead.

We picked up the person and did a cross town trek. I got to see parts of Melbourne I had never seen before, so it was good getting a tour before even leaving town.

At a little after 5pm we dropped the person off and I made it to the airport. I was a little anxious by now and left the taxi in a hurry after paying for it, with my corporate Amex.

Check-in: There were 2 Business Class counters open, with no-one else in front of me but the two people being served had passport issues. (Know that due to the Air NZ staff taking passports over to the check-in supervisor.)

An Air NZ staff member came over and offered a departure card (this is a form needing to be filled out by all passengers when going through emigration). I say this as all airports in Australia and New Zealand require you to fill out an arrival and departure card. Yet there are a number of people that do this and get sent away from the desk when the get to the front of the queue. Unlike other countries where the departure card is attached to the arrival card, in both countries, both cards need to be filled in.

I have a stack of these at home, so had already filled it out and thanked her. She then went over to the small economy queue and offered them the departure card as well. While waiting to check-in, she came through a second time as well.

When I got to the counter, check-in itself was very quick with 3 bags tagged with priority labels, given boarding pass and asked “Do I know to use the United Lounge due to refurbishment of the Air NZ lounge?” Thanks to Flyertalk, I did, but played dumb to see what information I could get. She gave good directions to lounge, but no card showing where it is. Later in the lounge, I found a card giving instructions that Air NZ does give to people showing how to get to the lounge. If you hadn’t been told at check-in, there is a sign on the door of the old Air NZ Lounge telling you to go to the United Lounge, but no map on how to get there. For those that don’t know the layout of Melbourne well, this could be difficult. While chatting to the person, she said that it was lucky that I wasn’t going to Auckland, as that flight had been delayed from 7pm to 11pm. I asked if anyone had been moved to the Christchurch flight and was told no, as there is no connecting service. I asked why and she just said there was a delay first thing in the morning and it was still affecting flights.

Having received my boarding pass, I headed off to get my passport stamped at emigration. About a month ago, priority lanes were removed for Business Class passengers in Australia. This is another reason why I wanted to get to the airport early, to give me plenty of time to get through. But for the first time ever, there was no-one, I mean NO-ONE in line. I went back and forth, back and forth, back and forth – going around all the ropes, all the time looking at the customs guys and them watching me. When I got to the front, I headed towards one person, but one of the others waved at me to come over. It’s nice to be fought over to be served!

I headed down to the United Lounge, which was easy to get to, as even though 4 flights were scheduled over the next hour, there was almost no one around. Upon arrival I found Air NZ staff on the front desk. The last time I was in this lounge was about 4 years ago, and I knew that it had a general section and a first class section for First passengers, which wasn’t open tonight at all.

Air NZ had really tried to stamp their mark on the lounge, with their logos everywhere. Letterhead paper in the business centre, napkins, application forms for Koru Club and Airpoints. It very much looked like Air NZ supplied everything in the afternoon. It would be interesting to compare in the morning when Air NZ and UA flights go out at the same time.

Lounge Facilities - There was a good bar selection, spirits, wine, beer and miniature bottles of Lindauer sparkling wine – all free, self help  so I did, a couple of times! To snack on there was soup (Beef and Vegetable), sandwiches, cheese (NZ cheeses – Blue, Cheddar & Brie) and crackers, apple shortcake, a few other snacks and fruit. Good selection of magazines and papers. Three workstations with phones but no Internet Terminal. I saw one person take the phone cord out of one of the phones in the lounge and plug it into his laptop. There was a TV available, but it wasn’t switched on. There were no views of the tarmac as the lounge is internal.

Overall impression was that it was a bit too warm for my liking. It was full, but not overly crowded. Everyone could get a seat and not sit with someone else, if they didn’t want to. The only downside to the lounge was the toilet. It was a disgrace. Paper towels were all over the floor, very very messy and not welcoming. I went back half an hour later and it still wasn’t cleaned.
My boarding call was made and the RTW journey starts.
(Finally I hear some people groan. Will he ever get on the plane.)

There was no queue when I got to the gate and passed over my boarding pass. I headed down the air bridge and a small queue was waiting at the door to the plane. The Airbus A320, has 2 rows in a 2 x 2 configuration in business class. I got to my seat 1E, (right hand side aisle) was stowing my bags and the FA came up and introduced herself. Paula then asked what I would like to drink. I said champagne, (expecting sparkling wine) and in a few seconds latter heard the unmistakable sound of a bottle being opened!

When she came back, she gave me my menu, told me to select a movie and I could have dinner whenever I wanted, as I was the only person in business class tonight! You Beauty! 3 hours with me and 8 seats.

Doors closed at 6:19pm and take off was a few minutes later.

After take-off I moved to seat 1F and tried to get the foot rest to come up. I couldn’t and after Paula had a try as well, moved over to seat 1A. Not sure if they are suppose to look that way or not, but the end of each arm rest looked very worn. These are new planes, but they didn’t look like they will last. Also there isn’t much storage space above 1EF, as half of it is taken up by magazine racks and other crew gear. If two people were in that row, one of them would have to store their gear over another seat. There is no cut out in the bulkhead and when sitting up, there wasn’t that much room for my seat. Once the seat reclined and foot rest came out it was better, but a cut out would be nice.

Over in 1A, I put the seat back as far as possible, foot rest out got up and took a few photos. The In-Flight Service Director came up to me and asked what the fascination of an empty seat was. I answered, that it isn’t often you get to fly in business class on your own, and I just wanted a few photos of the seat. She looked at me very strange!

Pre-dinner drinks were offered and I had a Bacardi and Coke! This came out with a small bag of Veggie Crisps (something like a prawn cracker).

This plane doesn’t have in-seat video for business. You can select 1 of 16 movies to watch on a portable DVD player, that they bring and plug into your in-seat power supply. (This uses standard plugs and runs at 110 volts – no adapter is needed [unless you plug in something that runs at 240v – which you shouldn’t]). Very quickly after take off I was given the player and movie I selected. This includes only standard headsets and not noise cancelling.

One question from previous threads was the question about playback of person DVDs in the player on Air NZ planes. I had a few disks with me and tried them. Very interesting results.

DVD Region 4 (AU and NZ Region) – Did not play with Message “May not be played in your region."
DVD Region 1 (North America Region) – Did not play with same message
DVD Region 0 (World Region) – Successfully played.

You can get Region 0 DVDs in Thailand and Malaysia – yes the real legit discs failed, but the cheap copy from Thailand worked.

Anyway, onto the meal.

Menu

APPETISER
Mediterranean king prawns with sweet peppers, lemon and kalamata olive.

MAIN COURSE
Grilled southern ocean salmon on confit vegetables and herb gnocchi with Jacqueline sauce

Pan seared chicken thigh with creamed tomato basil sauce, pimento herb rice and green zucchini

Chilled roast beef fillet served rare, with German style potato salad Horseradish cream dressing

DESSERT
Gourmet ice cream

CHEESE AND FRUIT
Fine regional cheese and preserved fruit

BEVERAGES
Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea and hot chocolate.

I don’t know what it is about airlines, but they think that if you fly first or business you must like sea food, as it is soooo common that the only appetiser is often prawns, or scallops, or caviar and I HATE seafood. So I told Paula that if the appetiser can be served without the prawns then I will have that, otherwise I will move straight to mains.

Not sure if she understood or not, because shortly after my mains appeared. Then she asked, if I was going to have any more of the champagne, otherwise she would have to chuck it out! So I said sure, why not. Next minute a glass appears and she asked if I wanted the bottle left next to me. “Okay” I say not tooo quickly – starting to like Paula more and more.

I haven’t told you what the wine is yet on purpose. I will leave that to later. But no wine list as such was given out. I wasn’t offered red or white with my meal, as I was drinking champagne (and it was champagne!).

As no one was sitting in 1B, they set up my tray for dinner there. I was using my tray for the DVD player. It would become very tight trying to put both together, as the room isn’t that great.

Sorry, forgot to tell you. I had the beef. It was very nice and very tender. The horseradish cream was a cream and not hot at all. I was also offered Garlic & herb bread with NZ Olive oil. I had both and the herb bread was very light, fresh and tasty. The Garlic could have been a bit more crusty, but I did have my mains faster than normal so this could have been a reason for that.

When I finished the Beef, Paula asked if I was still hungry not having the appetiser. She said the Chicken was available, as it was put on there for me and if I want, I could have that as well. Paula was getting really good now. So I had the chicken as well.

The rice was light, and a little dry around the edges, but it had been in the oven for a while. The chicken was tender and not dry. But the zucchini filled up too much of the plate.

After dinner, I got up and went and talked to Paula. Had a quick chat, about the plane, reduction of business from 12 to 8 seats and Air NZ in general. Before I had arrived, she had got my ice cream & cheese ready and after about 10 minutes she asked if I wanted it before it melted. I had finished the champagne by now and asked if Desert Wine was still available on Air NZ. She said yes, would I like one.

Do bears go potty in the woods?

Back in my seat, she again asked if I would like the bottle left with me. Paula needs to be put up for a medal! Also, would I like my tea or coffee now or in 15 minutes. I asked for a hot chocolate in 15, which she said was not a problem.

The Ice Cream had a berry sauce on it and was very nice. There were two types of cheese and two bits of preserved fruit, including half a pear.

Now onto the wine. The only reason I can give you the names is that I had the bottle, as no wine list is available.

Champagne: Nicolas Feuillate Brut Reserve. Sorry not sure of the year. On the label was product of France. It was Nice and very easily drunk.

Desert Wine: Virtu Noble Semillon 2000. YUM. YUM.

Finished the bottle of desert wine and I spoke to Paula and asked if there was any chance of another Bacardi and coke as we were very close to Christchurch at this stage. She said, yes and gave me a very strong drink.

Everything was being tidied up and I hadn’t finished the drink but the glass needed to be taken away from me. I gave it up and it was given back to me and asked – surely you can finish that. Taking the challenge, I skulled what was left and gave up the glass.

The plane landed in Christchurch about 30 minutes early. However, there were 3 other flights arriving at the same time so it took about an hour to get my passport stamped, collect my bags (which as you could guess were going around and around) and go through quarantine control. For those arriving into New Zealand – all bags are x-rayed. There is only a single queue (no more red line green line) everything is x-rayed. It is not for security but looking for food or plant material. If they find something – it is an instant NZ$200 fine. There is a story about just after they increased the fine about a junior NZ golfer that had just won the world champs. He came in with mud on his shoes, didn’t declare them (or his clubs) properly and was fined. So big crowd outside to welcome him (TV cameras etc) and he still got fined.

The NZ customs people are very friendly, well they tried to be, but I got grumpy waiting in line for so long. When going through the x-ray, they lift your bags onto the belt, but you have to lift it back to your free trolley yourself.

Overall a very nice trip that was let down by spending so long in line once we arrived.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 8:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Great first instalment. ^^ Glad you enjoyed the great NZ drinks, service, and did I mention drinks.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 18, 2004 at 8:56 pm
Old Aug 19, 2004, 5:24 am

2 bacos, a bottle of champagne and a bottle of dessert wine - on one short flight!! Did you propose to Paula??? (Assuming you're a man).

Looking forward to the next instalment. ^
Old Aug 19, 2004, 5:24 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Great stuff!

You certainly don't need to be apologising for your trip reporting skills, Gotta Requalify, this was a great first instalment. Definitely looking forward to more.

Good to know that dodgy region 0 DVDs will work in the AirNZ DVD players - great investigative work there! And I know what you mean about fishy appetisers - on NZ the appetizer is fish or seafood based about 90% of the time. Luckily I like that, but it must be annoying if you don't.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA GLD
Great trip report thus far. Looking forward to more ...
Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Smile

Youve inspired me to finally do my first round the world trip - Business class next Feb, will post next year!
Old Aug 28, 2004, 4:53 am
Suspended

Programs: CX Gold MPO
Originally Posted by Gotta Requalify

You can get Region 0 DVDs in Thailand and Malaysia – yes the real legit discs failed, but the cheap copy from Thailand worked.

I presume you are in pocession of the illegal cheap DVDs?? hahahaha

Excellent Trip report.

i must say NZ does have a much better Tasman J Class product than QF.

last time when I did AKL-SYD in J, The meal was bad, and the FAs were terrible.

Also the seat is not comfortable and the IFE..... (no need to state the obvious!)
Old Aug 28, 2004, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Part 3 – CHC to AKL (Air NZ NZ500 Economy)

Apart from a couple of flights a day where they are moving International aircraft from Christchurch to Auckland, there is no domestic business class on Air New Zealand now. My original plan was to catch one of these flights but in the end I had to catch the first flight of the day to connect to the flight onto Tokyo.

So wake at 4:10 and was at the deserted airport by 4:40am. The airport has free luggage trolleys available at the curb – which is unusual as it is a private airport. Also, to park in the short term parking lot is around NZ$3 an hour. And the locals complain as it use to be a lot cheaper. Check-in doesn’t open until about 4:45am. They do have a Star Gold counter so went and stood there a couple of minutes after the staff came out of the back room. Chatted to them while waiting for check-in staff’s computer to boot up. After getting boarding pass for this leg and next, I asked if I could change to seat 1A from 4C that had been reserved for me. She did some stuff and printed out a new boarding pass. I could see from what she had printed out that the next leg was in 1J. First Class Seat! YES. I was asked if I wanted Window or Aisle and said Aisle. She looks at the J and goes “Oh I think that that is a middle seat.” No it isn’t I said, it’s a jumbo flying that leg. In a patronising tone she looks and goes, let me just check on that. Then she looks closer and goes, “Oh I should have known, you are flying business class.”

I will talk more about the next flight and seat in Part 4. So with my two boarding passes and a little excitement (bit of a skip in my step) off I go to the domestic Koru lounge.

It’s about 4:55am now and at security there was no-one else around. No line so straight through and up the escalators to the lounge. I now know that the Koru lounge doesn’t open until 5am – not the 6am as listed on the Air New Zealand web site. I waited outside for a little bit and at about 5:02 (I didn’t want to seem too keen). I walked in.

I am more cheerful than when I came into Christchurch and tried to chat to the guy on entry. He is obviously not a morning person. So there it is, me and the lounge. Not many people are flying at 6am on a Sunday. At about 5:30am, someone else turned up and 5:40 a third person entered the lounge. So yes the lounge was very quiet and restful.

Their was plenty on offer to eat, so breakfast #1 for the day was started. On offer was:
Ham & corn fritters with tomato relish.
Toast – 3 types of bread – white, brown and raisin
Preserved fruit.
Two types of yogurt
Danish pastries
Fresh Fruit
3 types of cereal
Softdrinks, Juice, Tea and coffee to drink. (The bar is locked at that time of the morning.) Drat!
I was surprised that metal knives were available, as there is no extra security between the lounge and the plane. But it did make buttering the toast easier.

The lounge itself has great views of the tarmac (when the sun comes out – it is 5:30am on a winter’s day.) Plenty of seats – never seen it crowded. A business centre with 2 free internet terminals, a multi charge cell phone area – ie connectors for Nokia, Erickson, Motorola etc phones. Plenty of papers and magazines to read. A separate TV room (but TV not on.) The toilets were very clean, as you would expect as it has just opened.

Boarding was called and from the lounge you can see the length of the queue, so you don’t have to leave until the queue was small, and there is a door straight from the lounge to the gate. Despite the plane being almost full, boarding was quick. Which was just as well, as the air bridge isn’t heated. Not nice at 6am on a winters morning. No one was sitting next to me on the 737 (it is a typical 3 x 3 arrangement). There was no foot cut out and I had difficulty storing my luggage and the overhead bins were full.

Doors closed promptly at 6am but take off didn’t happen until 6:09. Which is a long time when there are no other plane traffic. The pilot later apologised for the late take off. We landed in Auckland only slightly behind schedule at around 7:21, taking only a few minutes to get to the gate.

We took off to the south and quickly entered into the clouds, but it wasn’t bumpy at all. The lights were left on for some time and it looked like snow was streaking passed the landing lights (it could have been rain, but looked more solid than that).

Air New Zealand now has what they call Express Class. It is a one class seating, with no meal offered or available to purchase. However, Christchurch to Auckland is one of the longest flights that they do and the scheduled time is 1 hour 20.

They do offer Tea or Coffee, and water. Shortly after take off they come down and offer paper cups to everyone and a small tub of water. Inside cup was a small chocolate chip biscuit, milk and paper towel. Paper cups had different pictures of events that Air New Zealand sponsors. In the past it was Lord of the Rings. Currently it is New Zealand Olympic Athletes. Once the cups are delivered, they come past offering Coffee and then a second pass offering tea. As I drink neither, I can’t tell you what the quality is like.

The Sun only started coming up as we were descending into Auckland. Most of New Zealand was covered in cloud, so you couldn’t see much, but as we came in under the cloud layer, there were the rolling green hills of south Auckland and the steel mill I use to work at. Which brought back some good and bad memories.

As I look at my notes, I see the word buMmmMBy, which was my way of trying to write that it was a little bumpy on arrival. (Actually I can’t read what I wrote.) As we are coming in, Air NZ hands out boiled lollies. Which is really good to help with blocked ears when landing. I wish more airlines would do this.

Air NZ allows cell phone usage when ever the cabin door is open. On take off there was an announcement saying door closed, please turn off your phone. And just before landing we were told that we could use our phones as soon as the door is opened.

To get to the International terminal in Auckland is either a 10 minute walk or use a free bus that departs every 20 minutes. I have an hour 10 between scheduled arrival of one flight and my next departure. This was already starting to count down with the late arrival and the bus wasn’t there waiting, so didn’t know how long it would be before the next one arrives.

I was going to walk, but as soon as I went outside it started to rain lightly. Decision time – wait for the bus and get nervous about missing the bus or walk in the rain and smell like a wet dog for 12 hours?

Rain started getting heavier so the bus won out.

I think my entire plane all tried to get on the same bus when it arrived. About 100 people with carry on luggage crammed on when the bus stopped. (why else would you be on a plane at 6am on a Sunday.) Most looked like they were going on NZ99 to Tokyo or NZ97 to Osaka – which both left within the hour. Driver commented to one of the other passengers that this time was the busiest of the day.

After the short 10 minute drive to the International Terminal, I went to the First/Business Class/Star Gold Check-in, waited in line (but for less than the lines outside waiting to pay the departure tax) – said I had checked-in in Christchurch and asked if I could pay my departure tax here. “Yes, No Problem” – and then paid my NZ$25. I was given a departure card to fill out, but had already grabbed one in Christchurch.

This check-in area has its own passport control person. There were about 5 people in line in front of me and when I got to the front of the queue I almost thought he was going to send me away, as he asked where did I check in? Boarding passes from Christchurch are different from Auckland, so he could tell that I hadn’t check-in here. But did the formalities and straight up the escalator to security. A quick x-ray and clearing out of the pockets, and onto the lounge.

Got to the lounge at 8am (about 35 minutes after arrival in Auckland) and was told that they would make a boarding call in about 10 minutes.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Part 4 – AKL to NRT – (Air NZ NZ99 – Business Class)

Did a quick tour of the lounge to get details for this report, then about 8:10, picked up my bags to head for the plane. Just as I was heading out, they made a call saying that there was a problem with the plane “Engineering Requirements” and we now had a new departure time of 10am (instead of the scheduled 8:30am). So much for all the stress of making the plane in time.

So here is now a detailed description of the Air New Zealand lounge in Auckland.

There is a separate First Class area that only First Class Passengers can get into. It is very much a mini version of the main lounge. Apart from the reduced number of people in there, there is no real reason to use it.

In the main lounge there are 2 x Internet terminals – that were both being used every time I looked. 4 x Work desks that are very private and 4 x phone booths. Lots of showers and the toilet are was very clean. No wireless Internet in lounge, but it was available somewhere as my card was picking up and dropping a network constantly.

It is a large lounge, with lots of doors leading to different areas. Just as you think you have seen it all, you go through another open door and there is another set of seating. The lounge has very good views of the tarmac and even down into the shops. Most of the seats in one area were facing the TVs – tuned to the Olympics. You could tell the nationality of the audience, depending on the gold medal that was won and the cheers that came from different areas of the crowd. There is even a separate TV room – but those chairs didn’t look as comfortable.

There were lots of breakfast food available – similar to what was available in Christchurch but this time the bar was open. And English Muffins which I didn’t see available down south were available. I had come into the lounge to have a can of L&P (if you don’t know what it is, I am not going to explain, but it is only available in NZ and as an expat, nice to have when I can get it. I always have that and Green Onion chips when I go back to NZ.) But as I now had 2 hours to wait, after finishing my L&P I had a small bottle of Lindaur sparkling wine and had Breakfast #2 for the day.

Checking the monitors to see if there was any update on the flight it was listed as closed. I went back to the front desk to question this (and didn’t list the revised departure time) and they said that to ignore the monitors as they are automated.

The lounge started to fill up as a lot of Japanese from the delayed flight arrived. While it wasn’t impossible to find a seat if did become difficult. Shortly after the flight to Singapore was called and this emptied out a lot of people.

One thing that was good to see was the In-Flight Service Director for the Air NZ flight to Hong Kong came around, calling for passengers to say hello. I have seen this happen on other flights, but during my time there, this was the only ISD that I saw. It would have been nice for our ISD to come around and keep us updated.

For those that are interested, the spirits and liquors were added to the bar at around 8:55am. Before that only drinks from the fridge had been available (beer, white & sparkling wine).

At 9:20 we were given an update. Estimated 11am departure with a 10:40 boarding.
At 9:40 announcement was 10:30 leaving with 10am boarding.
At 10:12 we were called for boarding. Doors closed at 10:38 with a 10:54 take off – just over 2 hours behind schedule.

Other flight background – there were 383 passengers (out of 392 seats on the jumbo.) As we got on the plane the captain came on, apologised for the delay and explained the problem in general terms. Didn’t say what part had failed, but just that they replace whole units and have to fully test items. The ISD came around and apologised in person and hopped it didn’t affect our schedules too much. I said it did, which he didn’t answer.

On the flights that operate with the 747 but they don’t offer a first class service, Air NZ seats business class passengers in the front cabin. You can’t select these seats, (according to the other threads) they pick people with status to sit here. The service and food is the same as the rest of the business class passengers (business class amenity kit, napkins all have business class on them), but you have two Flight Attendance for 12 passengers, 2 toilets for the cabin, lots of room to walk around and big seats. I had a look at the passenger list and of the 9 passengers in the cabin (3 free seats). There were
3 x NZ*E (NZ Gold Elite)
1 x NZ*G and Partner (same last name and no status)
1 x NH*G and Partner (same last name and no status)
1 x SK*G
And one hand written name with no status reference. I think she was a friend of the ISD as he looked after her, different from the rest of the passengers.

The welcome champagne was Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Yellow Label. Again, throughout the flight we were never given wine lists. So I can’t tell you what other wine was available. We were also given our amenity kit and breakfast menu.

Upon pushback we went to the very end of the runway and seemed to use the entire length for a full take off run. When we did take off it seemed to continue very fast. I don’t get to sit in the nose of a Jumbo very often, but it just seemed we were going very very fast, then I lost access to reference points. I fly often, but this take off speed to me seemed faster than normal. No one else was concerned, so I sat back into my seat to enjoy the flight.

Shortly after take off, I needed to go to the toilet and while there, a FA came around and dropped off the arrival documents for Japan. On my way back, I noticed the others had the forms and nothing was left on my seat, so talking to a different FA, asked for a form. She went away, another FA came back and gave me a form. Then the guy in the seat next to me looked confused, as he had a different form from me. I called the original FA back and said that we both had different forms. She started to say that he would be here soon, I explained he had been back while she was in the Galley. We then got it cleared up that we needed both forms sent away for the other FA and soon everyone had all the forms we needed.

I was seated in 1J and must say this and 1B would have to be the worst seats in the first class cabin. Luckily no-one was seated in 1B, otherwise we would have almost been closer than I was to the person in 1K. Due to the curve of the plane, the gap is only just wide enough for the trolley. From my flight in 1st class in March, when seated in 2A, having a window seat isn’t an issue as even when everyone is fully reclined, there is still enough room to get past. So would have to say, best seat in First would have to be along the windows. Other problem with seats in row one is no where to put your shoes. Rows 2 & 3 can put them under the seat in front. Seats 1A & 1K can put them along the window. But as I was 1J, if I had put my shoes along the front wall the FAs would have tripped over them while trying to serve 1K, as they came around and served from the front and not over me.

I have to apologise here as I left the menus on board the plane so won’t be able to give you a full description of the meals. From what I do remember, there was a Japanese option available for both meals.

For my third breakfast of the day, I had the cereal, fruit yogurt, omelette, toast and a hot chocolate. Just after it was served we hit turbulence. It started a few small bumps and the crew joked that we were in the most comfy seats – wouldn’t like to be at the back of the plane. Then the bumps got a little stronger. Actually, this would have made a good ride at a Six Flags amusement park. Before I had any of the drink, about two inches of it had been sloshed over the side into the saucer, tray, omelette – but luckily not me. ISD came on and said – “Cabin crew be seated NOW!” We just had to hold on, as eating was impossible. You could try and get the toast into your mouth, but you were very likely to miss and the jam would have made you look like a clown. (Do you know how silly you look when you bite down thinking food is in your mouth when it is actually by your ear?) And even if you could have got food to stay on your fork, you were more likely to hit your eye than your mouth as a target – as the bump hits at a critical moment. Wouldn't have liked to have been at the back of the plane!

Later, the crew came around and got me a new hot chocolate. The rest of the meal service went okay and I settled down to watch the movies. One thing I do remember from the menu was a nice little comment saying snacks are available at any time during the flight. Half way through the flight, as more people started asking for drinks, they came around offering tea / coffee / sandwiches and cakes. The sandwiches were pre-made club sandwiches cut into strips. Everyone got offered one strip. You can’t choose the type of sandwiches – you have them or you don’t. The cakes were varied (chocolate, tarts etc) and about an inch cubed in size.

About half an hour later, still hungry I asked for some more snacks I was told that we had eaten all available. Hunting through the carts, there was one sandwich option left, or a couple of cakes. We were lucky as they hadn’t loaded any for the other cabins in business class and they had to go around and explain to everyone that no other food was available. Later during the second meal service, a heard a FA come in from the other cabins looking for any left over options as they had run out.

Just before the time that afternoon tea came out, I asked Chrissy the FA looking after us, if there were any of the personal video players that are available for First Class. She said no. When there is no first class service, they strip all first class items off the plane. So instead I asked her for a glass of champagne. They had left the bottle in an ice bucket on the island in first class, but there were no glasses. She picked up the bottle felt it and said, how about I open up a fresh one. Which she did.

When I was given a glass, my new friend in 1J also asked for a glass. A few minutes later, Chrissy came back with the bottle and offered a top up. This kept happening until we said no.

The in-flight entertainment on Air NZ jumbos for first and business is the same. Small screen in-seat videos that run two cycles and keep repeating. Normally in first as said above you can also have personal video players which offer more movie choices.

The movie choices offered were:
Cycle 1
13 going on 30
Hidalgo
Hellboy
Gifted
Love me if you dare (French with English subtitles)
Memento
Laugh Lounge 1 (Comedies)
Main screen movie (same as first 3 selections)
Airshow

Cycle 2
13 going on 30
Hidalgo
Hellboy
The Return
Intermission
Meet the Parents
Showcase (Show of the month)
Airshow

Later in the flight, I was talking to Glen the other FA and he must have noticed that no-one was watching a video. So he told me to pick a movie from the magazine and if they have it, he will play it on channel 9. So I picked The Day After Tomorrow. After it started, he also came around told everyone that it was playing and took a drinks order. So I moved on the B&Cs. Another couple of those and just before the movie finished the second meal service started.

This was a full dinner service – but again, I must apologise as I can’t do justice to the selections as I forgot the menu card.

Starters was – GO-ON GUESS – Shrimp with salad. I flicked the fish and had the salad with a nice dressing which was okay. Had a nice glass of Red Wine. Main course was a steak. It was okay, but not the best steak in the sky – that honour goes to Singapore Airlines. Normal selection of bread / olive oils. Can’t remember what dessert was, but it came with a dessert wine (which I had) that was different from the flight from Melbourne to Christchurch. Without a wine list, I didn’t keep track of what was served. I didn’t have the cheese on offer – but the port was nice.

As the mains came out and the wine was topped up, the bumps started again. I drained my wine glass to make sure nothing was spilled – wouldn’t want red wine spilled on my clothes . But it was only mild turbulence and dinner service continues.

After dinner was cleared, Chrissy came out and said, the bottle of Champagne needed to be finished would myself and 1J like to try (Bottle is 3/4 full)? As she is holding two glasses in her hand. So under pressure I say okay – but not too fast.

Descent is started, cabin starts getting cleaned up, Chrissy come back and tops up our glasses a couple of times. ISD comes around and says goodbye. Apologies once more for the late arrival. Chrissy comes back and tops up our glasses. Can you see why I forgot the menus?

After landing a couple of hours late, we had made no time up during the flight, we taxi to the satellite of Terminal 2. If felt like we were driving to Tokyo it took so long. You have to take a small train ride from the satellite to the main building for passport control. I was one of the first off the plane, and walked smartly from the train to the line for passport control.

Remember when I said there were 383 passengers on board the plane. Well no more than about 30 of them lined up in the queue for foreigners. The rest all went into the nationals queue. It took about 40 minutes to get through passport control. Bags were going around the carousel. So picked them up, got through customs quickly and headed downstairs for the Narita Express. At this time of night trains were every half an hour and I had 10 minutes to get a ticket and catch the train. I got in line, opened up my wallet, to pull out my corporate Amex and IT WASN’T THERE.

I jumped out of line and did a frantic search looking for it. The last time I could remember using it was in Melbourne on Friday getting a taxi. I hoped and hoped that it had just fallen out of my wallet, so now very worried got back in line to get a ticket and pay with one of the other credit cards that was still in my wallet. Due to the leaving the line, I missed this train and had to wait for the next one.

Needless to say – it wasn’t a happy train ride into Tokyo while wondering what to do about the card and I was 3 weeks from heading home.

Does anyone what to know a description of the Strings Hotel in Shinagawa? It’s not a chain hotel so unless staying in Shinagawa you are not likely to ever come near it. And it prices itself as a business hotel, so unless someone else is paying, you wouldn’t stay there for leisure.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Part 4b – AKL to NRT – (Air NZ NZ99 – Business Class)

Summary (Yes at last!) – The flight was great. It was first class service all the way. Crew are friendly and kept the glasses full. Sitting in the first class seats on a business class ticket made for a great flight, the meals themselves when served were good and filling. Lack of mid-flight food and in-flight entertainment was a bit of a let down, but the seats and entertainment have less than a year to survive before getting replaced.

This is the last of the Air NZ flights on the trip. Next up United.

(Separate due to last post being too long.)
Old Aug 28, 2004, 6:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Yup we do still complain about parking charges at airports. Wasnt that long ago they were 50c (or am I just showing my age? )

(The bar is locked at that time of the morning.)
Dont think it is in AKL (unless I was imagining those early drinks ) TVs in the lounge you can just turn on, change channels etc if you like. The only restriction is on volume.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 6:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

At AKL there is a 3rd terminal hidden away in the cubicle on the left next to the other two (which are more visible to rest of lounge). It isnt as obvious or well known as the other two, so I generally manage to snag that one!

Its fairly poor that the food ran out. In my experience it is usually the reverse - there is heaps of food that FAs try to push you to have more!! Sounds like the drinks and service made up for it though ^^

Great report and I hope you get the credit card sorted out soon.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 8:31 pm
skye

Great instalments - you sound like you enjoyed yourself immensely.

But Air NZ should get Krug like CX.

Old Aug 28, 2004, 8:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by skye
But Air NZ should get Krug like CX.
Remember this is business class. Happened to be in F seats for AKL-NRT, but otherwise it is business class - food, drinks, IFE etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.