Wiki Posts
Search

NH HKG-KIX-CTS-HND-HKG in Y (Part 1)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2004, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Cool NH HKG-KIX-CTS-HND-HKG in Y (Part 1)

Since I think I have read someone had posted international NH C recently, I would be posting my trip about UA/NH in Y after this NH intra-asia and domestic Japan trip report first.

Since I went back to HKG to visit my parents from ORD in May, my parents decided to join a tour to Japan. We haven't been to Japan for almost twenty years, like we I was 5 or 6 years old. All the time we only use Japan
in transfer to US from HKG. And I told my father that I am more into sightseeing and shopping, rather than stuck in Disneyland or amusement park for a whole day. Therefore, he booked a 7 days tour that is for 3 days
in Osaka, and 4 days in Hokkaido. CX does fly to Sapporo (CTS) nonstop from HKG 3 or 4 times a week, but I told my father I really prefer to fly either JL
or NH. CX only flies 330 in summer, more chance to get on bigger planes for JL and NH. (I am a 747 and 777 person). We didn't know JL or NH til we have a meeting from the tour, and therefore it listed all four segments would be on NH. NH 176 HKG-KIX and NH 911 NRT-HKG were the only two segments posted in the itneraries. THe other two segments for Japan domestic
would know it until the day of departure. I know for sure this two segments are both on 767 though.

Date: 2004/5/23
Flight# NH/NQ 176
Segment: HKG-KIX
Aircraft: 767-381ER
Registration# JA8323 (2 class old style)
Seat: Y/27A

We arrived in HKG by the airport bus about 1pm, although the scheduled time of departure not until 2:55pm, went to the NH check-in counters, got the
travel vouchers from the tour agent. THen my parents went to the economy class check-in, and I went to Club ANA check-in since I am UA*G. They do have a *G sign at the check-in table. Surprisingly it was all handled
by CX agents, it was very efficient and my luggage was tagged with the orange *A priority tag, and also a brown NH F class tag. Then a boarding pass with my UA status and ff# printed on, also accompany with the
invitation to the plaza premium lounge. Boarding pass was actually printed NQ 176 for NH, so I know this is actually a ANK flight instead of NH. My parents got a few rows behind me in the middle section, and I got 27A.

Plaza Premium lounge was actually a paid and share lounge by many airlines doesn't have a lounge in HKG. I remember I saw a price sign outside it said around HK$200 or US$25 something like that, although couldn't remember the exact price, it has included both food and shower. The guy at the front will check your bag or something, but he didn't say anything to my bag,
just took my invitation and let me in, doesn't even check my boarding pass or my *G card. Inside was actually quite nice, buffet style "hot" food, some
Thai chicken, "red" fried rice, egg drop soup, cold sandwhiches, and some others didn't remember. Soda from the fountain, but also plenty of Hong Kong made bottle drinks and bottle water. I picked lemon iced tea and tried a little everything of the food, actually those are really restaurant quality, extremely tasty and got me quite full. I settled in an area with the ANA sign, later on, actually at the end of the hallway in the ANA area, there is another room,
which I think is the original Club ANA lounge, which you can't get in there without entering plaza premium lounge. I wonder if I travel on UA, I can enter the lounge without the invitation card or not.

It is almost the boarding time, so I went to the gate to watch some other planes, saw a SAA A346 ZS-SNC, MAS 744 9M-MPQ "Kuala Lumpur", and finally got to gate 32, saw my NH 176, it was a 767-300, still with the old scheme with both Chinese and English writing of ANA, also written ANK and Air Japan. At gate 36, it was parked with a NH 777-281 JA705A going to NRT as NH910. Gate was also handled by CX agents, I presented my *G card and
board with ClubANA pax. Both Hong Kong and Japanese newspaper were spread on a cart at the door right outside the plane. I took several of it so that my parents wouldn't get bore on this 3.5h hrs flight.

Boarding was rather quick and even on a full flight. I was the very first to board, and it only took 15 min for everyone to get on board and the FA to close the door and push back. I am really shocked to see all Japanese FA on board, not a single one from HKG. From departure to take off, I can
only hear two recorded Chinese messages about tightened the seat belt and the plane is about to take off, although I can hear plenty of Japanese was spoken during the time. THe last time I was on JL about 4 years ago, they have a mix of HK and Japan crew on board, not sure if this flight is operated by NQ, that's why no HK FA ? With the help of the nose camera , I could see we take off from runway 07R, and the take off time was actually the schedule departure time.

Once we got to safe altitude, there were four sounds by switching off and on the no smoking night, which means FA can get to work, and actually seat belt sign turned off right after. Unlike all US carriers, NH still use curtains to separate C and Y class. On the flight, both C and Y class about 95% full. This 767 was an older one, and thus doesn't have ClubANA Asia
and PTV in Y. Between NH and NQ FA, NH had stripped on their uniflorm, while NQ FA had white bubbles on their uniform, both have same color. Drinks were served, and same as NH, extremely limited drinks were offered,
only orange juice, apple juice, water, cold Oolong tea, Pepsi and Sprite. However, tray tables still have holes for you to put the cup in it. No menus handed out, only spoken the choice in the speaker. I hardly hear what the FA said in English, only hear something like chicken and curry. Japanese usually speak not so good English, they should really reinstate the menus
just for foreigners. As far as I know, JL still have menus on board as in May. However, I found that out menus is only available in the NH website since April or May this year. Here is what it said for HKG-KIX in Y:

LUNCH/DINNER JAPANESE COURSE

Appetizer
Marinated shrimp and calamari
Pork pastrami

Main Course
a) Vegetable curry and sannsai (mountain vegetables)
rice
or
b) Sauteed Chicken Cacciatore Style

Japanese noodles

Coffee or Tea

When FA got the cart to my seat, I asked her if it was serving curry, she had no idea what I am talking about, just took out a small slip of paper with the meal choices written in both Chinese and English. The meal was put in the new container which has different shapes and colors, different from
international routes. I only enjoy the cold soba noodles the most, curry was quite spicy that I only eat half of it, and the appetizer was horrible. The
flight was smooth most of the time, and we landed in KIX during sunset, 30 min ahead of the schedule arrival time. After clearing the immagration, we
settled into the ANA Hotel in Osaka for the night , right across the bridge from Kansai Airport. It was a very nice 5-star hotel, and we got to have breakest in the morning on the 50th floor with great view of the
whole Kansai Airport. We stayed in Osaka for two days, then the tour went north to Hokkido.

Date: 2004/5/25
Flight # NH777
Segment: ITM-CTS
Aircraft: 747-481D
Registration# JA8965
Seat: Y/29A

Since KIX had limited flights to CTS, and usually small planes, so our tour used ITM instead of KIX in Osaka. NH also provide e-ticket check-in in ITM, but didn't find any super seats check-in or *G check-in. Therefore, I follow the rest of our tour group to check-in. Got a window seat 29A right at the wing. Agent again put the orange *A pirority tag on and hand me a domesitc boarding pass, it was smaller than any boarding pass I have ever seen. UA*G was printed on it, but not my UA #, hopefully I can get the miles later. Then we walked through the terminal before we entered security. There was a nice toy store with plenty of airplane models, and I bought a ANK YS-11
model. Then we entered the security near all JL gates. NH is on the left side, JL and JD (now JAL domestic) all on the right side. Was hoping to see some JD
planes especially the rainbow 777, but no luck at all, not many planes around 2 in the afternoon, only one JL 777-246 Star Jet JA8981 "Sirius", still in full old JL color.

After that, we walked to gate 11 for out NH 777 flight, the timetable said it should be a 767-300. However, turned out it was a 747-481D. I was extremely happy about it, since I have travelled on 747-100/200/400, but never on a 400D, this plane was delivered in 92 to NH, but seems like still in very good condition. A big sign was put right outside the gate, listing super seats are from row 1-8, then all economy from row 12 onwards, even upper deck. (J/27 and Y/542) It is supposed to be high density domestic travel, but I feel quite comfy at my seat, (I suggest it is like 34", some of the flyertalk members pointed out it should be only 31" or 32") even my mother said
that is the most comfortable seat she ever had on a 747. (she is a NW fan, and I am a UA fan, we had been flying on 747 many times)I didn't feel the cramp feeling like on UA's 747 E-, but doesn't has that much legroom like in UA E+.

Anyway, our plane had an on-time departure at 2:40pm, we passes through a ANK 737 and ANA 744D, and there is an Air Do 767-200 JA8251 (ex-NH aircraft) parked right outside the ANA hangar. Again, with the nose camera, showed that our plane took off from runway 32L. 747-400D is just the
same as regular 747-400 without the winglet to decrease the weight of the plane and accomodate more passengers. Plus the winglet does not have much effect on short haul flights. The plane is only about 30% full in Y, most of the 4 seats across in the middle section are empty, except the back from row 48 to 65. After the 4 sounds turning on and off no smoking lights, FA begin to serve drinks, first is walking through a tray of beers, then the cart pull out with regular drinks. It has hot consomme soup on domestic
flight rather than in international flights. But only drinks are being offered, not even the NH snack mix. There are actually two different version of NH
magazine, one for international with English in the back, one for domestic and only Japanese, comes with a full list of NH domestic aircraft and color photos
While I was on the NH flight earlier in the month from LAX to NRT, (It would be posted as another trip report later) I heard that there are model airplanes on domestic Japan flight. I asked the FA, which she gave me a little box, with ANA 777 on it, it is a slapped together mini NH's 777 plastic model with their new color on it. I asked if she had any postcard, and she gave me a postcard about the pokemon movie with the old pokemon jet on it, also come of a mini pokemon story book with NH logo on it too. She is so nice and even make an oragami about Pikachu's head. THose are all supposed to be for kids traveling on NH, but wouldn't mind they treat me like a kid, since I really like collecting different airline stuff.

Flight time is about two hours, but we landed in Sapporo (CTS) just for only 1.5 hours on runway 01R. Saw a JL 777-346 JA8944 (Star Jet:Antares) parked next to usWith my *A priority tag, my bag was the fourth bag
come out from the baggage claim. Seems like Japanese really have strict rules about priority baggage handling.

Part 2 (THe return flight report coming in 1 or 2 day)
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here is the C class menu for HKG-KIX in May that I grabbed before I got off the plane, the menu is actually is used for three months, March, April and May, it listed separately which entree is for what month.

KAISEKI COURSE
Savor the refinement of classical Japanese Cuisine. Our master chef selects nature's finest, freshest ingredients to create a menu that evokes the essence of the season. A choce of hand-crafted sake perfectly complements this special dining experience.

Zensai
Sea beam sushi Octopus ragout Fish brochette
Deep-fried ice fish Sweet omelette Vinegared lily bulb

Kobachi
Deep-fried pork marinated in red pepper soy dressing

Oshinogi
Green-tea soba noodles

Dainomono
Grilled duck breast and eggplant with sweet miso sauce
Assortment of simmered vegetables
Steamed rice

Miso soup

Pickles

Wagashi (Japanese sweets)

Green tea

INTERNATIONAL COURSE
Peak-of-season ingredients, exciting taste combinations from around the world, and a light, elegant touch add up to a sophisticated style of dinning. To accompany your choice, we invite you to choose from our sommelier's collection of premium wines.

Appetizer
Marinated salmon tartare with dill
Mozzarella salad with basil pesto

Main course
Pan-roasted sea bass with Champagne sauce [431 kcal]

Fresh garden salad

Bread roll

Fresh seasonal fruit

Coffee or tea

And here is a selection of beverages listed in the front of the menu.

Champagne
Champagne Nicolas Feuillate Blanc de Blancs Millesime 1996
A sophisticated, elegant Champagne made exclusively from chardonnay grapes. Fresh and citrus, with a long silky finish.

White
Bourgogne Chardonnay Couvent des Jacobins 2000 (Bourgogne, France)
Hints of ripe apple, tempered with citrus and mineral notes. Strikes a good harmony with the drier, toasted oak bouquet.

Red
Chateau Blaignan 1998 (Bordeaux, France)
An elegant, well-structured wine with an animated bouquet of red fruit. Just enough tannins to keep it soft.

Japanese sakeSpecial Junmai Tsukasa-botan Senchu-hassaku (Kochi)
This smooth and extra-dry sake from the Tosa district (Shikoku) is ultra-high quality. Pairs well with any traditionally prepared Japanese food.

Aperitifs and Cocktails
Dry Cherry
Campari

Beer

Japanese sake
Kusudama Hida no Karakan
Shochu Taiganoitteki

Spirits
Chivas Regal Scotch Whisky
Gin
Vodka

Cognac
Martell VSOP

Soft drinks
Orange juice
Apple juice
Tomato juice
Grapefruit juice
Coca-cola
Diet Coca-cola
Sprite
Ginger ale
Sparkling mineral water
Oolong tea
Old Aug 11, 2004, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After fours days in Hokkaido, we were back to Sapporo, Chitose(CTS) for our flights back to HKG. CTS has two flights daily in May to NRT, but it is operated by Fair (ANA connection) using CRJ, I assume those two
flights are more expensive that those flights to HND. THerefore, our tour was booked to fly to HND instead of NRT. It was a dark and rainy morning, our tour bus went pass through Chitose airport, I recognized the tail of one 747, which has the yellow Pikachu on it, so I assume that is the new Pokemon jet 747-481D (JA8957), instead of the old Pokemon jet (99 scheme)(JA8964). Then we got to the terminal, this time actually the tour guide got us the boarding pass instead of having the flight voucher. Surprisingly
UA*G was already printed in my boarding pass, not sure if the agent in HKG or ITM had input my UA status through my whole NH itnerary. There is a big screen listed all NH departing flights, as well as a few Air Do flights. Air Do flights all have 4 digits numbers like e.g. NH 47xx . All the departing flights also listed if the flight is full, and if the super seats are available. In CTS, same as ITM, no *G or separate Super Seats check-in available, therefore I check-in with everyone in the tour. Agent again tagged my luggage with the orange *A priority tag. After that, I rush inside the security area hoping I can still take a picture with the pokemon jet. Unforunately it had already departed, and couldn't see it on the runway either. There were two planes on this side of the NH terminal, one was the *A NH 767-381 (JA8290), with the
old *A color that has 9 *A airlines logo on it (NH, AC, NZ, AN, LH, SK, TG, UA, RG), this plane definately need to be repainted, since AN had long gone. But I
think I saw airliners.net recently, and actually a new NH 777-281ER was just painted into the new *A color. Another is a Air Do 767. Air Do only fly two routes in Japan, one is Henada(HND)-Sapporo(CTS), which has the most frequencies, the other one is Henada(HND)-Asahikawa in north Hokkaido.

Date: 2004/5/29
Flight # NH 58
Segment: CTS-HND
Aircraft: 747-481D
Registration# JA8965
Seat: Y/53A

Our plane was actually the plane we flew from ITM (Osaka-Itami) four days ago, did a little research on this plane JA8965, it was actually the ex-Pokemon jet (98 version) and the ex-Snoppy jet. Our flight was actually a lot more packed than the flight from ITM, it actually had long lines formed at the gate. But forunately, I got a window seat at 53A, it is more towards the back, and the two seats next to me were empty. This time is about 60% full in Y. Since the gate agent doesn't allow anyone to board until 10 min
before the departure time, we had a 5 min delay. There are a lot of low, middle and high clouds, and we had quite a bit of turblence, so the seatbelt sign didn't turn off until half hour after take off. Even though it is a short domestic flight, I can still see they close the curtain between the Super Seats and the coach. As usual, first round is a tray of beers, then
the drink cart. I got the chilled oolong tea, and the apple juice right after.

Since we had a slight delay for our departure, we arrived in HND about 5 min after the schedule arrival time, and I saw that Pokemon jet was actually parked in the terminal. If we got the earlier flight NH 56, that leaves one hour earlier, we could have been flying on it ! It looks real nice with the sun shinning on the yellow paint. But our plane was parked at the remote gate 103, couldn't get a picture with it again. It was a real pain to carry your stuff and walk down the stairs to catch the bus to the terminal. Again, thanks to the priority tag, my bag is among the several the come out first. But this time is a bit different that any other airports, two agents were standing at the door, they were checking your luggage tag and the boarding pass to see if they all match with the same name on it. After that, our tour bus
stopped somwhere in the middle of HND and NRT, so that we can get something to eat before we get to the airport.

NRT actually has a tour check-in in the back of the terminal especially for NH, we checked in from there. There are two agents check-in for our group of 20
people, which was fast. No brown NH F class tag on my bag this time, only the orange *A priority tag, also have a NH heavy luggage tag. I remembered 5 yrs when I was flying ORD-NRT-HKG and back, I check out all the
stores in the terminal before you enter security and customs, there used to have store on the 2nd floor, which sold quite a bit of NH stuff like models, phone cards with pokemon jet. But it seems like the store had been gone.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Since we had quite a bit time before boarding, so I decided to check out what NH lounges offer. I got a little map about the locations of all the NH lounges in Terminal 2 at the check-in counter. First I went to the signet lounge that is located not too far from our departure gate B71 for NH 911.

SIGNET LOUNGE for A and B Gates

This is a real small lounge, with very little sitting area, but a nice view with all the JL and NH planes parked at the B, C and D gates. A large selection of
bottle and can drinks were placed inside a large fridge. Next to it have some small snacks include cakes and buns. I grabbed two can of the Japanese
sports drink "Pocari" and a melon bun (the kind of bun have the melon crusted outside and some custard inside), sit next to the window, the closest plane tome was actually a 767 for our flight back to HKG. Not too far there were several JL 744 and DC10 with new colors. Even as a small lounge, not many people were inside though in the late afternoon. So I decided to proceed to take a look at the CLUBANA that is not too far away.

CLUB ANA LOUNGE for A and B Gate

This lounge is actually really close to the signet lounge, but located in the 4th floor. Even the entrance is a bit bigger. So I handed my boarding pass
accompanying with my *G card, and the front desk lady wrote down quite a lot of things with my boarding pass, not sure what she was writing though. This lounge is a lot bigger than the adjacent signet lounge, it is a big room, but no windows at all, a self-service bar separate the lounge into two sides.
The front side with most of the people sitting have a big screen TV hanging down from the ceiling. THe back side have some tables and "hard" chairs and bathrooms. The snack and drinks selection are a lot less than what signet offers. Only a soda fountain instead of all the can and bottle drinks. With the boarding time close by, then I decided to proceed to go to the gate.
Gate agent holding a sign for ClubANA boarding, but no one actually line up for boarding. So I go ahead with my *G card and be the first person to board the plane. Since I was the first to board, which made me to get additionally screening. 2 Japanese newspapers and 4 Hong Kong newspapers were placed on a cart right outside the door of the plane.

Date: 2004/5/29
Flight # NQ/NH 911
Segment: NRT-HKG
Aircraft: 767-381ER (2 class new style)
Registration# JA607A
Seat: Y/33C

When I saw that in the C class it was a 2-1-2 seating, I know that it is a brand new 767 with ClubANA Asia in C class, also have PTV in all Y seats. The whole cabin is equipped with the 777, or the same as 767-400ER
design. The storage above is substanially bigger than regular 767. Our plane had a schedule departure time at 6:35pm, but our plane leaves the gate 10 min early. Y class is about 70% full, leaving quite a few of the middle section in the front of Y empty. With the camera at the front, I can see that we took off at runway L16. It was a smooth take off, and after the four sounds of the smoking light. FA begins the service again. No menus again, but here is what I
found from their NH website about our meals in Y for the month of May:

LUNCH/DINNER COURSE

Appetizer
Marinated Chicken
German-style potato salad

Main course
(A) Chinese sweet-and-sour chicken
or
(B) Shrimp and rockfish with creamy saffron sauce

Desert

Table roll

Coffee or tea

I had the shrimp and rock fish, it tasted ok. But the desert and the salad really tasted awful. Desert was a dark chocolate cake some sort, they should replace the salad with the cold soba noodles or some fresh fruits. I found that the programming in the PTV in this 767 was not as good as on the 777, at least for the games channel does not have the Mario Brothers. Therefore, I
only settle with the air-show channel.

The air-conditioning of this new 767 seems to not funtioning at all. About an hour and a half into the flight, my parents feel quite hot, and I climed up to
the ceiling feel that there is only a breeze coming out, but not cold at all. We complain to the FA a few times, but does not do any good at all. Other people
around just try to make some breeze by moving magazines and newpapers.

Without any turblence, our plane pass south of Hong Kong and make a 180 degree turn west of Lantau island in order to have a west approach. We landed in Hong Kong at 9:40pm, which is 30 min ahead of the schedule.
Our tour group actually were the first to unload the luggage, including my bag. We took the airport bus to go home.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here is the C class menu for NRT-HKG for May

FLAVORS OF JAPAN COURSE
In the classic Japanese tradition, here are the
freshest seasonal ingredients prepared to reveal their
innate flavors and goodness. For this time of year, we
are pleased to offer sunomono (vinegared salad)
featuring sansai, mountain vegetables that are used in
cooking to express the coming of spring.

Zensai
Shrimp cake with fava beans
Smelt and kelp oil
Sea Squirt and sea cucumbers innards
Duck breast with foie gras
Sweet Omelette

Kobachi
Marinated young sea bream with wasabi-flavored yam

Oshinogi
Japanese noodles

Dainomono
Sake-steamed whitefish with savory vegetable sauce
Steamed rice

Sunomono
Various sansai (mountain vegetables) with seasame
vinegard sauce

Miso soup

Pickles

Green tea

INTERNATIONAL COURSE
Peak-of-season ingredients, exciting taste
combinations from around the world, and a light,
elegant touch add up to a sophisticated style of
dinning. To accompany your course, we invite you to
choose from our sommelier's collection of premium
wines.

Appetizer
Marinated herring in orange sauce
Parma Ham with roasted endive
Homemade meat patty

Main course
Chicken and field bamboo shoot fricassee with
mushrooms

Fresh garden salad

Bread roll

Dessert

Coffee ot tea
Old Aug 13, 2004, 5:10 am

Thank you so much for the excellent report! ^ ^ ^ ^

just wondering why didn't your parents check in w/ you at the J counter? since you guys are flying together, it shouldn't be a problem even though they aren't *G....

Last edited by Cathay Pacific; Aug 13, 2004 at 5:16 am
Old Aug 13, 2004, 6:11 pm

NH planes don't really have good A/C. When I fliew NH911 it had the new J class and it still didn't have those A/C jets. Their western food is pretty bad. Their appitzers and desserts look good but taste bad, however their main courses are very good.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cathay Pacific :
OH, I didn't know that my parents can also check-in with me in the C class counters even they are not *G, or I should say they are not belong to any programs at all.

ual744777sta:
It seems to me NH's intra-asia food are uneatable, international flight's food are a lot better than that. Many airlines that cater from HKG usually have excellent quality (UA,NW,CX,JL), but except NH. I would post an international NH trip report soon also in Y if the time is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.