Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
JNB-FRA LH First Class – Review

JNB-FRA LH First Class – Review

Flight: LH 573
Aircraft: 747-400
Depart: 1915h
Arrival: 0525h
Seat: 83A

I was in Johannesburg for a week for a business meeting and after two weeks away from home I was looking forward to the flights home. I had booked an *A RTW ticket (YYZ-LAX-SIN-JNB-FRA-LHR-YYZ) in First class. Although the only segment that was First class was this segment (the rest of the segments only had Business class seats), it was still better in price than a full Business class fare.

I arrived at the airport at about 1700h. Check-in at JNB International airport was a total zoo. It seemed that all the international flights out of JNB were leaving at the same time. LH check-in counters are at the end of the terminal. There are 2 First Class counters, 4 Business counters, and lots of economy. IDs and tickets were checked prior to entering the lines for the counter. Check-in was relatively seemless and I was handed my first class boarding pass and was invited to use the South African Airways First Class Lounge (Cycad Lounge) located on the second floor after security. I didn’t ask what lounge LH Business class passengers would use.. so I don’t know the answer.

- - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cycad Premium lounge (SAA First Class Lounge):
I was warmly welcomed by the lounge agent upon presenting my boarding pass. The lounge was quite nice – rich earth tone color and formal in nature. There was a dedicated smoking room, three shower rooms (which I didn’t use), a bar area, tv area, and three quiet rooms (much like the Day Break Room at CX’s the Pier First class Lounge). The washroom was supplied with cloth towels as opposed to paper ones. There was a well stocked bar.

Upon sitting down, a waitress came by to take my drink order and to pass out the Lounge menu. The most amazing thing was she addressed me by name!

The following is a transcript of the Lounge Menu:

Welcome to our Cycad Lounge. In true South African Style we will ensure that your time with us will be relaxing. Fine Cape wines and Grand Cru Champagne suitably accompany gourmet meals.

Something Light
  1. Tasty Tramezzini with a choice of fillings: Cheddar, Ham, tomatoes, Pineapple, Tuna Mayonnaise
  2. Classic Club Sandwich: Crispy bacon and slices of grilled chicken breast layered with tomatoes, cheese, lettuce and mayonnaise.
  3. Traditionally South African: Beef biltong, dry wors and a selection of salted mixed nuts.
Something Vegetarian
  • Winter Vegetable Medley: Zucchini and baby Portobello mushrooms stuffed with diced vegetables and parmesan cheese, served with risotto cakes and balsamic reduction
Something Hot
  1. Winter Warmth: Homemade tomato soup, finished with a fresh cream, served with slices of French baguette.
  2. Sirloin Wrap: Rolled sirloin fillet with grilled brinjal, roasted red pepper and spinach served with polenta cakes and chakalaka.
  3. Country Inkukku: Tenderised chicken breast, grilled and served on a chunky tomato, zucchini and onion salsa infused with fresh rosemary.
  4. Shepherds Pie Done our way with ground choice lamb and minced vegetables, served in a crispy potato skin topped with creamy mash potatoes.
Something Cold
  1. Smoked Salmon: Wood-smoked fillets filled with cream cheese, fresh dill and capers. Enjoy on slices of lightly toasted ciabatta bread with a garden salad on the side.
  2. South of the Border Salad: Creamy avocado, ripe tomatoes, cucumber and shaved onion in a lemon vinaigrette on a crispy bed of lettuce. Served with toasted flat bread drizzled with olive oil.
Something Sweet
  • Vanilla Ice Cream: Served with a choice of pear poached in red wine or a classic chocolate sauce.
A diabetic bar as well as Kosher and Halaal biscuits are now available. Just ask your waitron.
I selected the Tomato soup and the Sirloin Wrap, and they were both excellent- high quality, 5 star restaurant type food.! The waitress informed me that the menu changes frequently!
After the meal, I went to the Business center to check emails before my boarding call for the flight.

Overall, I had an excellent experience at the SAA first class lounge!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The LH boarding process was a complete mess!! I still don’t know why LH doesn’t implement some kind of boarding procedure – by class and row! Anyway it took about 30 minutes before I was able to board the 747 flight. Upon entry I was shown to the upper deck, where the First class section was located. Unlike CX and BA, LH First class is located on the upper deck rather than in the front nose section. There are 16 seats 2x2, and my seat being 83A was the exit row. Needless to say, there was lots of room to move around.

The flight was full in First Class. There were three flight attendants servicing first class. Upon sitting, I was offered newspapers (mostly German and UK), preflight drinks, and was given the amenity kit, sweater, and slippers.

Service was very good. After takeoff, the Purser went around and greeted each of the passengers by name and handed out the menu and wine list. The Menu was designed in an minimalist understated way – All white with Lufthansa Yellow and Dark Blue lettering.

LH First Class
Johannesburg-Frankfurt

Would you like to eat now or later?
We are Happy to take your order anytime.

Dinner:

Hors d’oeuvre and Salad
  • Caviar with the traditional Garnishes
  • Smoked Kudu and Julienne vegetables with Mustard Vinaigrette
  • Grilled Canadian Salmon enhanced by Eggplant Roulade with Zucchini
  • Red Pepper Boat filled with mixed Vegetables
  • Seasonal Greens with Tomatoes presented with herb Vinaigrette or Tomato Basil Dressing
  • Bread, Rolls, Toast and Butter
Entrees
  1. Breast of corn-fed Chicken in Almond Jus served with a Carrot Celery Medley and Parsley Root Puree
  2. Pan-fried Kingclip with Rosemary complemented by Tomato Coulis, Fennel and Saffron and Grilled Zucchini
  3. Cajun Beef Tenderloin with Red Pepper Cream Sauce, sautéed Vegetables and Potato Cake with Cheese
  4. Spinach and Feta Cheese Ravioli accompanied by Chive Cream Sauce, Eggplant, Tomato and Basil Consassee with sautéed Mushroons.
Cheese and Dessert
  • International Cheese: Fox & Crow Cheedar, Creamy Blue, Brie, Parmesan and Goat Cheese
  • Coconut and Raisin Cake
  • Baked Lemon Tart
  • Coffee, Cappuccino, Espresso and tea
  • German Specialty Dessert Wine
Wine List
Champagne
  • 1997 Loiuise Pommery Champagne
  • 1994 Noble Cuvee Brut Champagne
White Wine
  • 2002 Breede River Valley Chardonnay (South African)
  • 2003 I Frati Lugana DOC (Italian)
Red Wine
  • 1999 Chateau du Tertre, Margaux (French)
  • 2000 Savigny-Les-Beaune AC (French)
  • 2000 Cabernet Sauvignon Bentwing (Australian)
  • 2001 Dona Bernarda Cabernet Sauvignon (Chile)
  • 1999 Christine Buitenverwachting (South African)
Dessert wine
  • 2003 Wehlener Sonneuhr Riesling Auslese
Appetizers were very good. I liked the fact that they served toast. The Entrée and dessert, however, were rather disappointing - unimaginative and bland.

After the 3 hour meal ordeal, I slept for about 5 hours, upon which time Breakfast started.

LH First Class
Johannesburg-Frankfurt

Buffet
  • Freshly squeezed Orange Juice
  • Seasonal Fresh Fruit
  • Yogurt, Cereal, Musli, and milk
  • Bread, Rolls, toast, Croissants, Muffins and Danish Pastries with Butter, Preserves and Honey
  • A Variety of cold Breakfast specialties featuring cooked ham, Hungarian Salami, and Emmental Cheese
Entrees
  • Scrambled Eggs will be freshly prepared upon your request accompanied by your choice of Bacon, Mushroom or Chives
  • Sesame Pancake enhanced by Fruit Compote and Mango
Given that it was close to 4am, there were not a lot of takers for breakfast. I had the Pancakes and it was quite disappointing – rather soggy and overwhelmingly sweet! The Orange Juice that I had didn’t quite take fresh squeezed to me. The coffee was rather cold.

After breakfast, we were ready to land in FRA.

Some observations of LH First Class:
  • Very spacious with only 16 seats for the entire upper deck.
  • Seat is not as private as say CX, SQ, or BA – there is no privacy screen between the seats.
  • The Stenheuser noise canceling headset is useless. I had to resort to my Sony NC headset.
  • The window seat has a lot of open space that could be used as extra storage next to the window
  • There are 2 very large washrooms for First class passengers– unusually larger than the ones I have been in on SQ and CX
  • No sleeper set –FA passed out sweaters! Why would I want a sweater?
  • Amenity Kit was nice and had some useful stuff. The Amenity kit was Diadermine and consisted of shoe horn, toothbrush, toothpaste, a hair brush/mirror combo, socks, wrinkle cream (??), eye mask, a pair of really nice dark blue slippers.
  • The rose service is unique to LH. Each seat has a rose holder. LH places a fresh rose (with the bottom of the flower encased by a glass tube which contains nutrients) on each seat right before meal service, which is a great touch!
  • LH offers a variety of appetizers and one select all of them at the same time– I had all of them and they were presented in three stacked trays (similar to what you would receive at high tea).
  • Dinner service was way too long! 3hours, but maybe because it was a full flight?
  • Rather limited entertainment system (pull out screen). Tiny screen, poor picture quality and limited selection. I skipped the entertainment all together.
  • I dont think LH offers duvets only balnkets. The blanket was too thick and I was boiling underneath it. – Overall cabin was very warm as well.
  • I found the seat to be quite comfortable - perfectly flat, and a little roomier than SQ Raffle seat.
  • Meals were not that good. While they did offer variety, the meals were bland in general. I love Caviar, but the quality wasn't that good.
  • Compared to CX and SQ, service was average, nothing bad, but nothing stellar either. It was rather impersonal.
My next trip to JNB will be in about 3 months, and I will try BA to compare.

Last edited by ACfly; Aug 1, 2004 at 4:51 pm Reason: Add more observations
Old Aug 1, 2004, 4:04 pm

Programs: FB Plat, SPG Plat, Meridien Moments Gold
This is a great trip report! I especially liked your "observations list" which illustrates everything in a very good way.

Can't wait for your BA flight!
Old Aug 1, 2004, 4:18 pm

Great report!
I´ll miss the great SAA lounge in JNB as LH offers nonstop flights to CPT now...
Just one correction...LH does offer PJ´s but only if you ask for them.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 5:56 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Tim2008
Great report!
I´ll miss the great SAA lounge in JNB as LH offers nonstop flights to CPT now...
Just one correction...LH does offer PJ´s but only if you ask for them.
In First, you shouldn't have to ask for them.......
Old Aug 2, 2004, 5:58 am
Uli

Originally Posted by ACfly
Some observations of LH First Class:[list][*]There are 2 very large washrooms for First class passengers– unusually larger than the ones I have been in on SQ and CX
Dont forget they have windows!
[*]No sleeper set –FA passed out sweaters! Why would I want a sweater?
You have to ask for the PJs because they are testing them right now, 8 pcs are loaded on each flight

[*]Dinner service was way too long! 3hours, but maybe because it was a full flight?
True. But you can always tell them you want it faster, they will do it faster. Other people prefer the slow pace ...
[*]I dont think LH offers duvets only balnkets. The blanket was too thick and I was boiling underneath it. – Overall cabin was very warm as well.
You can have duvets, no problem. the sun-moon-star-blakets might look nice, but with LHs insanely warm cabin it makes no sense
[*]Meals were not that good. While they did offer variety, the meals were bland in general.
No excuse, but frequently it depends on the catering station. I never have a problem ex FRA or MUC, but from some remote stations you will get an unwelcome surprise from time to time.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 5:59 am
Uli

forgot to say: thank you for the report! seems the SAA lounge at JNB is reason enough to visit JNB
Old Aug 6, 2004, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Uli
forgot to say: thank you for the report! seems the SAA lounge at JNB is reason enough to visit JNB
It is especially when combined with a visit to Sun City
Old Aug 6, 2004, 7:12 am

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Thanks!

Great report! Very helpful; thanks! My last trip to JNB was in Swiss First; now I'm accumulating Star Alliance miles and had thought about using LH. Sounds OK but not great.

David
Old Aug 6, 2004, 7:14 am
skye

I missed the SAA lounge having used to BA terraces lounge because I was traveling Full-fare CX FIRST CLASS.

Old Aug 7, 2004, 5:03 am

Re Boarding:

Its true, especialy at JNB. But with a FC boarding pass you can just walk up to the front and they will whisk you through. That is, if you can cope with the murder-stares into your back of the Y travelling masses At JNB I was once held up by some gate stuff who demanded to know if I was member of the crew or what I was thinking to cut the line. Quite angrily I told him no and showed him the red BP and he obliged and let us through, quite embarrasing.

I know there are a lot of F fliers who dont want to be asked about everything F has to offer, but this is no excuse. They should at least ask the F PAX if they are familiar with everything. Sometimes its just like they dont want to work too much or dont want to give anything away. On the last flight they didnt even give out the pralines before I asked

They PJ is IMHO a great improvement. A lot more comfy than pants to sleep in.

I regulary like the food out of FRA and it borders to unedible out of other stations (BKK comes to mind). Apart from the bubbly (Lousie is good, to an lesser extent the "D") the wines are bad from every station. On the last three flights there was always someone complaining to the purser about the wine, on the last flight the whole F cabin made filed complaints and the purser (young male with background in hospitality) said he agrees very much and we should all write letters to LH. The usual 40+ LH F FA doesnt know anything about wine and just repeats what she has been indoctrinated by LH about what lovely and exclusive stuff they serve in F (NOT!).

Edited to add: LH needs way too long after take of to get F pax something to drink (> 1 hour), because they keep themselves usy with preparing the bar, and other stuff. But (maybe to compensate for this) they will let you keep a full glass during take off ("Bitte gut festhalten"), which I have not observed on any other airline. Dont know about the security implications but I quite like this.

Last edited by paulusst; Aug 7, 2004 at 5:12 am
Old Aug 15, 2004, 1:31 pm

It may just be because of my lack of experience, but I really enjoyed LH's first class (SFO-FRA-JNB & back) last year. Everything was superb in my opinion, EXCEPT the cabin was kept far too warm. They told us it was at 25C (77F), which made sleeping difficult. I guess that was ot unique to our flights. I too was impressed by being able to keep the glass of champagne during take-off.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by astroboyclassic
It may just be because of my lack of experience, but I really enjoyed LH's first class (SFO-FRA-JNB & back) last year. Everything was superb in my opinion, EXCEPT the cabin was kept far too warm. They told us it was at 25C (77F), which made sleeping difficult. I guess that was ot unique to our flights. I too was impressed by being able to keep the glass of champagne during take-off.
Just ask for the temp to be lowered to 23 deg C. Sometimes they comply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.