Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa exp, spg plat, HH gold
Hong Kong - New York

July 7, 2004
Cathay Pacific flight 830
Hong Kong – New York
Seat 2A on an Airbus 340-600
Scheduled departure: 10:15 a.m. Actual: 10:15 a.m.
Scheduled arrival: 2:05 p.m. Actual: 1:55 p.m.

After a night at the airport hotel, it was time to take the new Hong Kong – New York nonstop flight which is around 8,000 miles. I walked over to the airport and most of the first class check in agents were occupied. However, there were two ready to greet me and another took my luggage for me. I noticed that there were more people throughout the check in areas than on my other times through Hong Kong, even though it was a Wednesday. I was given my boarding pass and lounge invitation as well as directions to the lounge. In that I was departing from gate 3, the agent suggested I use the Wing which is located near the gate. For the first time, there were a few people in line for immigration formalities and I waited 5 minutes in order to get to security. When I arrived at the Wing, the desk agent was speaking on the phone. After 30 seconds or so, I just left the lounge invitation on the counter and walked in. I thought I would see if there was a better selection of food this time, but unfortunately, it was worse. There were a couple of workers standing in the corner talking. As I approached a table a lady asked me what I wanted to drink. I responded, “Orange Juice.” She pointed to the buffet area and said, “It’s over there” and walked away. This time I ended up with only one pastry as they did not even have fruit flavored yogurt out and no hot Western style food. So, I went and asked another staff person if there was a McDonalds or anyplace were I could get something like eggs or fruit flavored yogurt, or any Western style food. She told me that the best place would be at the Burger King outside of the lounge if I wanted Western food. Luckily the Burger King was not far from the lounge. Before leaving I checked to make sure that I would be able to get back in and explained what had happened to the agent at the front desk. She asked for my boarding pass and stamped something on it and said that after breakfast I could come back into the lounge. So, after a Burger King breakfast I went back to the lounge, checked my email, and got a glass of water. Before long, I realized that boarding had begun ten minutes prior. So I grabbed my carry on and headed to the gate. Most people had already boarded when I arrived at the gate. Nonetheless, both check in stations were still staffed and I boarded through door 1 L.

This was my first time on an Airbus 340-600. I have a general bias against the airbus planes as the few times I have flown them I have found them to feel more cramped. The flight attendants on my previous flights commented that some pax did not like the 346 as well as the 747 as there are only two rows in first in a 1-2-1 configuration and the galley is in front of the cabin. The suites are identical and the color scheme is the same as on the 747. On my flight there were only 3 of us with 5 empty seats. However, if first was full, it would seem that the other pax would be closer than on the 747 and there is not as much overhead space for carry on luggage. I was thinking that it might be better to take out a row or two of coach and stagger the center section seats so that they are 2 or 3 feet behind the window seats. That way, one would not look across the aisle at the person and it might eliminate noise if the two people were holding a conversion in the center section. Nonetheless, on my flight we were all in window suites so there was no problem. But I do prefer the 747!

As I arrived on the plane I was shown to my seat and as I was walking there a flight attendant that was in the other aisle greeted me by name and reminded me that she had been on my London – Hong Kong flight. What a fantastic memory!! ^ We were able to get caught up about where we had flown during the prior few days and talk about the various cities we had visited. As we were talking, I was offered a pre-departure drink and I opted for the Krug champagne, following the advice of so many helpful people on flyertalk. The champagne was paired with a few pieces of fruit that had been marinated (wrong word, but I can’t think of the correct term.) We were offered Hong Kong, British, US and European newspapers. Then we were given our sleeper suits and Decleor amenity kits, menu, wine list and customs card.

Once we were airborne the flight attendants closed and snapped the curtains shut that separated our cabin from the business class cabin. Then the FSD director came by to visit and we had a great conversation about the airline and frequent flyer programs. Drink orders were taken and I chose more champagne which came with warm cashews.

The meal service on this flight had three components: First we had lunch. Half-way through the flight we were offered Dinner. One hour and a half before landing we were offered a refreshment service. I will post the entire menu at one with comments about my selections, keeping in mind this was over the course of 15 + hours.

First the cover of the menu was had an apple on the cover with the phrase “big apple” on it. I asked that lunch be served at Noon.

Lunch:
Oscietra Caviar and Balik Salmon “Tsar Nicolaj” served with Warm New Potatoes and Crčme Fraiche.—I skipped this.

Light Options:
--Manhattan Clam Chowder
(I prefer New England style but this was very good; one of the best I have had. The flight attendant told me that they chose this style not just for the name but because the New England could be a little too heavy for some pax.)
--Grilled Vegetable and Crostini Salad with Roast Sweet Garlic served with Balsamic Vinegar Dressing (I skipped this, but was offered it again before dinner, but skipped it then as well)
--Ricotta Cannelloni with Semi-sun dried Tomato Sauce and Baked Vegetables

Cathay Pacific was introducing a new red wine, Chateau Branaire-Ducru 1996 4eme Cru Classe. The wine consultants spent more than a year researching and tasting various wines and selected this vintage. It was very nice, although I am not a connoisseur.

Mains:
--Sautéed Prawns and Cucumber with Chili Paste, Steamed Rice and Baby Cabbage with Straw Mushrooms and Medlars.
--Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Natural Jus and Forest Mushrooms, Potatoes with Shallot and Mustard, Roasted Carrot and Zucchini Wedges.
This was very tender and a large portion. The vegetables were not soggy and quite tasty.
--Roasted Cornish Game Hen with Natural Jus, New Potatoes and Peas French Style

Cheese Board: I think there were four cheeses available, but I only chose three to go with a glass of port wine.

Dessert:
--Vanilla Ice Cream
--Lemon Crčme Brule Tart
--Almond Chocolate Pudding.
This was almost like a soufflé and was served warm with some cream. I really enjoyed this dessert. Another time on CX I was tempted to have two desserts.

Pralines: I had a couple of these to tide me over until dinner.

While the f/a was taking my lunch order I was looking at her menu which had the number of each item that was catered. For the three pax, they had nine lunch entrees as there were four main course options for lunch. There were two or three of each entrée for the three of us. I wish other airlines would do this in first class! @:-)

Dinner:

Appetizer: Lobster Tail with Mango Salsa.
The salsa was very good as it had a little kick but was also sweet. The lobster was nicely prepared.

Mains:
--Grilled Marinated Lamb Chops with Roasted Garlic Potatoes with Olive Oil, Roasted Pumpkin and Green Beans.
--Steamed Seabass with Preserved Vegetables, Steamed Rice and Stir-fried Pak Choy
--Mushroom Ravioli with Tomato Basil Sauce.
This was excellent; the sauce was delicious and I used some of my garlic breadsticks to soak up some of the sauce.
I selected the Franciscan Oakville Estate Chardonnay 2001 for dinner.

Although not on the menu, I was offered a selection of cheeses, which gave me the opportunity to try a couple other types of cheese and some more port wine.

Dessert: Baked American Cheesecake served with Cherry Sauce (I skipped this)

Pralines—I couldn’t even eat any more of these…

Refreshment:

--Noodles in Soup with Braised Beef Brisket.
I thought this might be lots of noodles and a little diced beef. I was wrong! It was lots of noodles with a lot of large pieces of tender brisket in a beef broth.
--Wild Mushrooms Ragout with Asparagus on Toasted Ciabatta
--Congee with Shredded Chicken and Lettuce served with Stir-Fried Barbeque Pork, Bamboo Shoot and Green Peppers in Plum Sauce
--Hot Pot Rice with Stewed Spare Ribs and Preserved Vegetables served with Prawns and Snow Fungus and Chrysanthemum in Clear Broth

Ice Cream: I chose Hagen Dazs Cookies and Cream.

The Chinese dishes were part of the “Best Chinese Food in the Air” program which features selections from the Spring Moon Restaurant, located in the Peninsula Hotel, Hong Kong.

For entertainment, I watched, “50 First Dates” during lunch and then was given my duvet and water bottle before taking a nap. Every time my water bottle was less than half full, it was replaced or refilled without me even noticing.

Before dinner, I chose a glass of Sprite for my drink which came with warm cashews and what must have been the forth hot towel. While dining, I watched a variety of the tv programs, mostly comedies.

After the dinner meal (second meal) meal, I read while listening to Laurie Anderson’s “Big Science” and Neil Diamond to get in the US mood. Then I took another nap. After a couple hours of sleep, I began watching, “A Fish Called Wanda” which I continued to view during the refreshment service. After that, it was time to change out of my sleeper suit, brush my teeth and get ready for landing. We arrived 10 min. ahead of schedule and used the BA terminal. The sixteen hours passed very quickly, although I think I would have gotten bored if I had flown a few hours longer without getting the chance to walk around. The CX flight attendants were great and I wish I had the chance to fly with them again. CX really shines in first class! There was no line for immigration and the wait for my luggage was approximately 2 minutes. I took the airtrain to catch the shuttle to the Doubletree Club Hotel near JFK and after a quick shower went into Manhattan for the afternoon. The Doubletree Club Hotel is a small airport hotel. They have typical sized rooms, a four internet connected computers, a bar, restaurant and work out area. The shuttle from the Airtrain usually takes over 20 minutes to arrive, but the staff at the desk are generally quite helpful. They gave me great directions on how to get to the World Trade Site as it has been a while since I last visited there. The front desk people also answered my other questions regarding how to get to various places around town.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 1:25 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Tim,

Your report is great stuff. Well done! Looking forward to the next parts... ^

P.S. You don't seem to have much luck with the lounges, do you? Like many others have said, both the CX lounges in HKG were great of the times I've been there.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 3:16 am

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
A marvellous TR - and some info about Australian wine

What a marvellous TR. I recently did a similar itinerary in F on a business trip and enjoyed every minute of the flying. In particular, I loved the coffee and date service on the BA LHR-DXB leg.

A while back you mentioned that you enjoyed an Australian "sauterne" on BA. I believe it would have been De Bortoli Noble One. The Australian Wine and Brandy Act does not, of course, permit us to call it "sauterne", so you will find it is referred to by many names, depending on one's preference. Australians love to call what the English call "pudding wine" and what the Americans call "dessert wine", "sticky".

Most of the De Bortoli Noble One served in the air is too young. On the LHR-DXB leg I flew I think it was a 1996. QF is serving the 1998 which is almost infanticide. It is, however, a noble wine indeed. I absolutely adore it and I have a couple of vintages hidden away in a friend's wine cellar. We will enjoy it in several years time. By then it will have turned a deep honey colour, and the flavour will be out of this world. It pairs unbelievably well with a steamed marmalade pudding.

I cannot wait until I have my next bottle!!!!!!
Old Jul 29, 2004, 4:51 am

Thumbs up

I find it unbelivable that this amazing trip report still hasn't received a five-star rating. Well, here is my vote anyway:
:-: :-: :-: :-: :-:

Continue the great work TimF10, this report is one of the best I have read here so far, I just wish there were some pictures to go with it.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 5:47 am
pdb

Thumbs up CX Wing is the very best.

So sorry/mystified to hear of your repeated poor experiences at the Wing. The nearly 50 or so times I have been there have been uniformly excellent--both as to doting service, as well as to 5* catering. There is no question that the morning fare pales to afternoon evening selections; however--and perhaps you were unaware of this--if you don't see something you like, you simply need to ask for it, and if it is at all humanly possible, the CX staff will make it appear.

In the air, there is no experience more gratifying than flying up front with CX--even more so, if the cabin is not full. The FAs are absolutely incredible--and sincere--in their desire and intent to serve you. Little welcome cards introducing themselves, generous servings of any/all offerings whenever you want...all without being made to feel that you are "inconveniencing" them...just great. ...and when was the last time you walked into a lav mid-flight to find it not only spotless, but with the toilet paper had been creased into a neat triangular point, a la hotel service?

CX (together with SQ) are far ahead of the pack, in this regard...I just hope they do not cut back too drastically on their flights offering FC.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: CX Gold MPO
TimF10

I am now addicted in reading your TR! you must do another AONE4 again!!!

Totally agree with you on the 346 and 34C!!

Hate them with a passion!

I presonally prefer the 744 in both J and F Class. Definitely more space and a lot more exclusive!

I think this is the one weak link in CX! the dreaed 34C/6

Also that CX830 (HKG-JFK) Non Stop have being given pretty ORDINARY reviews lately so glad you got a good trip.

I would've suggested you took the CX838 to YVR, stay at the fairmont again and then get the CX888 to JFK

But I guess you went to YVR already therefore you can't stopover there again? However if you get the CX838 then you it doesn't can't a s a stopover!
Old Jul 29, 2004, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chalkie

I love the De Bortoli too - sadly BA are no longer serving it with a substantially infereior Sauternes having taken it's place.

BTW, great report Tim.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Jul 29, 2004 at 6:48 am
Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:58 am

Thumbs up Wonderful report

Really excellent reports!

About the "Wing," I agree with you concerning flexibility of the staffs, and sometimes, the staffs only give lukewarm welcomes. However, this only happens once in a while... Sorry about the food selection, I think a letter to CX will be appropriate... I can't understand why eggs can't be served -- they are relatively easy to make.

Thanks for all the menu transcripts... it is good to read about the HKG to JFK menu... I guess it will be better than the JFK to HKG segment.

Thanks again,
Carfield
Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:17 am
skye

Originally Posted by TimF10
I didn't think of asking for anything else to drink, but imagine the f/a would have gotten whatever I had wanted as they were great.

With regard to the Caviar on the cart, I was surprised at this but thought that it was a nice touch. I wish airlines would use the cart more often as I like to look at my choices before selecting.

I hope that my experiences at the Wing were the exception as I found the Pier staff much more invested in their job than those at the Wing.

Thanks for the compliment!
I normally request Perrier with Lemon and Ice. I know that some people dislike ice with Perrier, but I happen to like mine that way. I don't like the cart at all. Straight out from the galley is more first class.

No problem, you totally deserved the compliements.

I just read your recent report for the JFK leg, and here's what I have to say:

I thought I would see if there was a better selection of food this time, but unfortunately, it was worse. There were a couple of workers standing in the corner talking. As I approached a table a lady asked me what I wanted to drink. I responded, “Orange Juice.” She pointed to the buffet area and said, “It’s over there” and walked away. This time I ended up with only one pastry as they did not even have fruit flavored yogurt out and no hot Western style food ... Before leaving I checked to make sure that I would be able to get back in and explained what had happened to the agent at the front desk. She asked for my boarding pass and stamped something on it and said that after breakfast I could come back into the lounge.

You should have complained to a senior staff member at the center of the first and business class lounges (where you get out from the lift). Pointing to the buffet area and saying "It's over there" is completely rude. Walking away is even worse. You can ask for Fruit flavored yogurt and hot western style food because I have been to the haven PLENTY of times and these items have always been available for breakfast. As for leaving the lounge, you shouldn't bother wasting your time at the front desk. Just leave the lounge and get back in with your FIRST CLASS boarding pass. It will be fine.

This was my first time on an Airbus 340-600. I have a general bias against the airbus planes as the few times I have flown them I have found them to feel more cramped. The flight attendants on my previous flights commented that some pax did not like the 346 as well as the 747 as there are only two rows in first in a 1-2-1 configuration and the galley is in front of the cabin. The suites are identical and the color scheme is the same as on the 747. On my flight there were only 3 of us with 5 empty seats. However, if first was full, it would seem that the other pax would be closer than on the 747 and there is not as much overhead space for carry on luggage. I was thinking that it might be better to take out a row or two of coach and stagger the center section seats so that they are 2 or 3 feet behind the window seats. That way, one would not look across the aisle at the person and it might eliminate noise if the two people were holding a conversion in the center section. Nonetheless, on my flight we were all in window suites so there was no problem. But I do prefer the 747!

I've never liked the 747. Personally, the 747 is too crowded. 12 is far too many people to be in first class (if it's a full flight). I love the 2 rows of 1-2-1 and I usually sit in 2A. I have no problem with the galley being in front of the cabin either. There is SO much overhead space on the 346! I'm taking this flight to JFK and back in a few weeks for leisure, and I'm looking forward to the 346.

For entertainment, I watched, “50 First Dates” during lunch and then was given my duvet and water bottle before taking a nap. Every time my water bottle was less than half full, it was replaced or refilled without me even noticing.

I watched "50 First Dates" in June, I think. On CX. I have never had any of my water bottles refilled. They just give me a new one. Hmm, how did they carry out the refilling? From a 1.5 liter Evian bottle into your smaller one?

--- I'm sure you're tired of this, but you do have a knack for writing!

Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by TimF10
When I arrived at the Wing, the desk agent was speaking on the phone. After 30 seconds or so, I just left the lounge invitation on the counter and walked in. I thought I would see if there was a better selection of food this time, but unfortunately, it was worse.
Very odd. I had a totally different experience in May on at least three different occasions. People were as friendly as usual, though I admit that the people in the resto are a bit stoic, and the lounge was fine. They did take out the fruit and fridge from the Cabanas, which I was disappointed about since I wanted a glass of water after the long flight, and I did not check the computers because I had my laptop. The wireless there is pretty nice. I dont know if they still loan laptops for the wireless but they did at one point. I am a bit of an oddity because I dont think the food at HKG or on CX is as good as many of the others. Therefore my standards might be lower. I guess I am more used to Chinese workers food and not some of the other things that are offered. Their tea is good, though, as I am a bit of a fanatic. I am surprised, however, taht you were unable to get a meal. As someone else said, its usually buffet style.

Too bad about your experience. I too like the wing better than the pier because it feels less like a prison. Good trip report, though, and sounds like overall you had an enjoyable but tiring trip.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 7:31 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
I feel so envious when TimF10 rejects the Caviar, with chilled Vodka at 35,000 feet it really is one of lifes greatest delights. Wonderful report by the way.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

New York - Los Angeles: The flight home

In the city, I was very impressed with the progress that has been made around the World Trade Center site as well as the attitude of the many people who came to the site. A large number of people were quietly reading the names of the fallen and looking at the pictures that were posted. After that, I wandered around the city and then had a light dinner before heading back to the hotel. Surprisingly, I did not have jet lag as I was able to stay awake until close to midnight and slept soundly until the wake up call at 9:15 a.m. After getting ready, I took the shuttle to JFK in order to check in for my last flight,

July 8, 2004
AA flight 3
JFK-LAX
Seat 2D on 767
Scheduled departure: 12:00 actual: 12:05 p.m.
Scheduled arrival: 2:33 p.m. actual: 2:30 p.m.

The check in area was more crowded than I had seen at JFK in a number of years. Luckily, there was no line for first class check in so I was able to get through very quickly. The agent told me that it had been this crowded almost every day for the last three weeks and their loads were looking good for the rest of the month. ^ I hope that American can survive the increased fuel costs and make a solid recovery.

After checking in I went up to the Admiral’s club and enjoyed a bagel and some juice while reading the New York newspapers and checking my AAdvantage mileage. Then it was time to walk to the gate. When I went up to the club, there was a long line for security, but now there was no line and I walked right through the screening. Boarding was delayed due to some additional cleaning time from the prior flight and I thought we would be quite late. However, boarding began at 11:45 a.m. and we departed only five minutes late. Before allowing anyone to board, the agents explained the boarding process two times and had people look at their boarding passes in order to verify their group number. ^ As first class was then called, I headed onto the plane. First class only had 6 of 9 seats occupied on this flight. While the rest of the passengers were boarding, we were offered drinks (I selected more orange juice) and menus. Later we were asked if we would like an individual DVD player and almost all of us said yes. The DVD player comes with 15 or 20 DVD’s that one can use while in flight. Then our post take off drink and lunch orders were taken following FEBO (starting in the front on even numbered flights and from the back on odd numbered flights). Boarding went smoothly and we were airborne shortly after our scheduled departure.

Once at a cruising altitude, my Makers Mark and Sprite arrived along with the ramekin of warm assorted nuts and then crudités with a ranch style dressing. We were offered refills on drinks and nuts, but I declined both. After that, the salad cart was prepared and our salads were made for us. On our salad we had the option of adding:
--Lobster Tail and Claw with Lemon Wedges
--Thai Chicken
--Oven-roasted Vegetables
--Red Wine Vinaigrette or Creamy Garlic Dill Dressing

I selected the lobster and was given a large and tender lobster tail along with the mixed greens and dressing.

We were then offered whole wheat or sourdough rolls, but I declined this option.

The entrée choices were:
--Chicken Fontina with Risotto: Breast of Chicken stuffed with Fontina Cheese and Mushrooms served over a Broccolini Pepper Saute and Risotto.
I selected this and it was a large chicken breast stuffed with the cheese and mushrooms served with a good size portion of risotto. This was a very good choice.
--Cajun Tuna and Creole Rice: Cajun Tuna accompanied by roasted Tomatoes, Red and Yellow Bell Peppers and Creole Rice.
--Grilled Chicken Breast Sandwich offered with Buffalo BBQ sauce and Blue Cheese on a Baguette.
--Vegetable Sacchetti: Vegetable Sacchetti Pasta enchanced by a Tomato Cream Sauce.

For dessert we were offered Caramel Apple Cheesecake or an Ice Cream Sundae (Hot Fudge, Butterscotch, or Fruit topping with Fresh Whipped Cream). I chose the Hot Fudge Sunday and could not finish it all as it must have been two large scoops of ice cream and a generous serving of sauce and whipped cream. While enjoying the dessert, I was given a glass of Port Wine and then we all received our bottles of water which were refilled during the flight.

While dining, I decided to watch “Big Fish” on my DVD player. I had heard good things about this movie, but found it to be a better story than I had expected. I would recommend this film if you have not seen it. Once the movie was over, I read for a while, listened to a song entitled, “The Journey Home” from the “Bombay Dreams” musical which will be opening in New York soon, and listened to Laurie Anderson’s “Big Science” CD. Every few minutes one of the f/a’s would come through offering drinks, but I stuck with water.

Throughout the flight I reminisced about my various flights on AA, BA and CX as well as the wonderful places I was able to visit. Although I was glad to be coming home, I would have liked to have taken a few more flights as I am continually amazed that I am able to be flying over 500 mph in a metal tube some 4 or 5 miles above the earth looking at tremendous scenery. This was a trip to remember and I hope to be able to do this again next year.

Soon, the captain announced our descent into the LAX airport and we arrived right on schedule. I walked to the luggage area and within a couple of minutes the baggage began rolling off the conveyor belt. My luggage was once again among the first to be returned, a happy ending to a vacation that exceeded my hopes and dreams.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chalkie
What a marvellous TR. I recently did a similar itinerary in F on a business trip and enjoyed every minute of the flying. In particular, I loved the coffee and date service on the BA LHR-DXB leg.

A while back you mentioned that you enjoyed an Australian "sauterne" on BA. I believe it would have been De Bortoli Noble One. The Australian Wine and Brandy Act does not, of course, permit us to call it "sauterne", so you will find it is referred to by many names, depending on one's preference. Australians love to call what the English call "pudding wine" and what the Americans call "dessert wine", "sticky".

Most of the De Bortoli Noble One served in the air is too young. On the LHR-DXB leg I flew I think it was a 1996. QF is serving the 1998 which is almost infanticide. It is, however, a noble wine indeed. I absolutely adore it and I have a couple of vintages hidden away in a friend's wine cellar. We will enjoy it in several years time. By then it will have turned a deep honey colour, and the flavour will be out of this world. It pairs unbelievably well with a steamed marmalade pudding.

Thanks for the information on the De Bortoli Noble One. Do you know where I could buy it? I went to a large wine store and they did not know anything about it, although they carried 50 other dessert wines.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deimos
I find it unbelivable that this amazing trip report still hasn't received a five-star rating. Well, here is my vote anyway:
:-: :-: :-: :-: :-:

Continue the great work TimF10, this report is one of the best I have read here so far, I just wish there were some pictures to go with it.
Thanks for the kind words. Much to the chagrin (or relief) of my family and friends, I don't even carry a camera while traveling. I will pick up post cards/picture books but apart from that I just enjoy the experience and spending time later reflecting upon what I saw or heard.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pdb
So sorry/mystified to hear of your repeated poor experiences at the Wing. The nearly 50 or so times I have been there have been uniformly excellent--both as to doting service, as well as to 5* catering. There is no question that the morning fare pales to afternoon evening selections; however--and perhaps you were unaware of this--if you don't see something you like, you simply need to ask for it, and if it is at all humanly possible, the CX staff will make it appear.

In the air, there is no experience more gratifying than flying up front with CX--even more so, if the cabin is not full. The FAs are absolutely incredible--and sincere--in their desire and intent to serve you. Little welcome cards introducing themselves, generous servings of any/all offerings whenever you want...all without being made to feel that you are "inconveniencing" them...just great. ...and when was the last time you walked into a lav mid-flight to find it not only spotless, but with the toilet paper had been creased into a neat triangular point, a la hotel service?

CX (together with SQ) are far ahead of the pack, in this regard...I just hope they do not cut back too drastically on their flights offering FC.
I agree that CX would be the best in the air! I remember thinking that the f/a's were reading my mind; as soon as I thought of something they seemed to be there asking if I would like it. You are right about the lav's, they are consistantly spotless. I have yet to try SQ so cannot make that comparision, but hear that both CX and SQ are the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.