Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FRA-YHZ in DE C (Condor Comfort Class), long with Nova Scotia trip report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2004, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Thumbs up FRA-YHZ in DE C (Condor Comfort Class), long with Nova Scotia trip report

Hello flyertalkers,
I just arrived from a great two week trip from Nova Scotia. As there was controversy about DE (Condor) C/cl quality in the LH forum, I will give you a detailed trip report here.

07/01/04 FRA-YHZ
DE 4062 14.40-16.45 (763)
2H/K

Check-in : As departure exceeded the late-night check-in deadline by ten minutes, we had to check in the same day. Long queues at the Condor counters, as all pax had to pass one of the two baggage screening devices. As we held a C ticket, we were allowed to enter the queue shortly before screening. With the screening passed, everything went on swiftly as there were at least eight Y counters and two C counters. From checkmytrip I knew that the my GF and I were the only C pax with reserved seats which was confirmed by a quick look at the CSA’s computer screen. We got two invitation cards to the ECC (Eurpoean City Club) lounge.
Lounge: The ECC is situated landside at terminal 1, and to my knowledge there is no specific affiliation to a certain airline. Unfortunately, there is no daylight and the atmosphere is rather sterile, but still a place to relax. The lounge was rather empty, some LOT pilots and about three other pax, no Condor pax. As the lounge was landside, we had to pass security to get to the gate (A 53). No distinct priority line here. When we arrived at the gate, most pax had not entered the gate and there was still quite a long queue.
Boarding: The boarding process went on in a surprisingly disciplined manner. After pre-boarding, the aircraft (new Condor design) was filled up from the back, no priority call for C pax. When the first pax were allowed to board, no one dared to be the first to board . Totally different from the Sommerschlußverkauf-like runs on other flights. We took the chance and were among the first to board.
Cabin service and comfort: On Condor’s 763, there are four rows of C seats in a 2-2-2 layout. When boarding was complete, the C cabin was half full (13 pax). Surprise! - Every C pax got a rose that could be put into a small mounting in the front seat. The seats are quite comfortable with a 125 cm pitch, even slightly more than LH’s old C. I believe that the recline is not that flat as in the old LH C. I also think that you are better off without the footrest, as your feet get squeezed under the front seat, regardless if that is reclined or not. Another (small) minus was a common armrest for both seats. Service was as attentive, friendly and efficient as in LH C. The seats are equipped with power ports for notebooks.
Food: Right after boarding, a welcome drink (Prosecco with peach liquor, chewing gum taste) was served. Compared to LH, the DE menu was somewhere between C and F. Cutlery, Pepper and Salt was (like the rose ) LH F equipment. Here is the menu:

Shrimps in jelly with crème fraiche and Soja caviar, Salmon carpaccio with rucola marinade, Roasted chicken breast with herb crust on potato-pesto salad
Main course of your choice:
Roasted lamb medallions with olive crust, french beans, carrots and basil mashed potatoes
or
Champgne “Kraut” noodles with panfried halibut fillet, salmon dumpling and scampi in chive sauce, turned carrots and sugar snap beans
or
Almond chicken piccata on curry-lemongrass sauce with mixed summer vegetables and venus rice
Assorted cheese offered from the service cart, Bread - Roll - Butter
Caipirinha mousse on lime puree
Coffee – Tea – Digestif

The starter was delicious, the lamb was LH C quality. Cheese was nothing to write home about (except the small sign saying “Tedemoiner” instead of Tête de moine ). The dessert was good as well. One hour before landing, a snack was offered:

Mixed salad with rucola and mozzarella balls, herb dressing
Bread - Roll – Butter
Italian panzarotti stuffed with asparagus mousse on cream sauce and red pepper corns
Cherry cake on strawberry coulis
Coffee – Tea – Digestif

This snack was, as food in general was, far ahead of LH C.

Wines:
White:
Champagne Piper Heidsieck, France
2002° Deidesheimer Hofstück Riesling Kabinett trocken (Pfalz), Castel Vollmer, Germany
2002° Thüngersheimer Ravensburg Kerner Kabinett trocken (Franken), WG Thüngersheim, Germany
2003° Weißer Burgunder, Krug’scher Hof (Rheinhessen), Weingut Krug’scher Hof, Gau-Odernheim, Germany
2003° Grauer Burgunder, Halbtrocken Kabinett, Krug’scher Hof (Rheinhessen), Weingut Krug’scher Hof, Gau-Odernheim, Germany

Red:
2002° Dourthe No.1, Bordeaux AC, France
2003° Cabernet Sauvigneon Vollmer, Bodega Enrique Vollmer, Mendoza, Argentinia

2001° Barbera d’Asti Superiore DOC, Collezione Marchesini, Italia

The Deidesheimer as well the Grauburgunder were good, but slightly too perfumed. The Barbera was good, the Bordeaux was ok, but nothing special. There was also a battery of Spirits from Campari over Kirsch and Grappa to Port. In contrast to Y, booze was free.

IFE: I do not make use of IFE frquently, therefore I cannot give a precise review. So far, There is a movie shown on overhead video screens. In C, you can get a personal DVD player and have the choice between several actual movies. Unfortunately, the sound is not adapted well to aircraft conditions. Both the movie my GF watched and the CD I tried to hear were disturbed significantly by the noise of the engines. The on-board audio IFE is comparable to LH. However, there is only one classic canal with “light” excerpts like LH canal 4. There were no amenity bags, but every C pax got a Condor rain cape with the old “bureau clip” logo on it.

In summary, the flight from FRA to YHZ in DE C was rather comfortable in a quiet atmosphere with some features (food and beverages, cutlery and porcelain dishes, seat pitch, roses, individual choice of movies) above LH C standard and some features (no amenity bag, seat recline, footrests, audio IFE) below LH C standard. I also took a short visit to Y. Seats have the old LH Y design (brownish-grey with yellow stripes). The cabin appeared quite cramped and dampy in comparison to the light atmosphere in C. Interestingly, at the bulkhead there is a small sign saying: “Here begins the Comfort Class. Toilettes are at the back.”
Debording : In YHZ, deboarding was intentionally held back for about ten minutes as pax from another plane went through immigration at the same time. We were among the first to be off the plane and were waved though immigration without any delay. Unfortunately, we had to wait at the belt as priority tags did not work. As the number of pax at the belt increased only slowly, it could be suspected that the mass of pax got stuck in immigration. Therefore, we were among the first to get to the Alamo counter to obtain our rental car. Soon, the queue behind us grew and grew...

Nova Scotia trip report follows soon.

Last edited by fradoc; Jul 17, 2004 at 3:22 pm Reason: typos
Old Jul 17, 2004, 7:28 pm

Programs: some
Great report. I look forward to the rest.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 9:04 pm

Me too! its good
Old Jul 18, 2004, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Nova Scotia itinery and trip report

Now to our Nova Scotia intinerary: We did not take part in an organised tour, but planned our intinerary ourselves. I will give you a short overview over the accommodations and locations visited:

1st and 2nd night: White Point Beach Resort, Liverpool. A large resort with multiple facilties, somewhat old-fashioned but a place to feel well, especially for families. As the warning signs said: Drive slowly, children and bunnies are everywhere! BTW, it was Canada day, therefore some guests shot a small firework. On our first day we had a trip to Lunenburg. A really pretty small town. Worth to visit: The fisheries museum of the Atlantic. The next day, we went to the Kejimkujik National Park Seaside adjunct. It is worth a visit, you have an opportunity to watch seals and seabirds.
3rd and 4th night: Whitman Inn, Kempt. This small cosy inn is owned by a Swiss couple. They also have a contract with all major German travel agencies. Therefore you should expect to meet many Germans there. An ideal location to visit the Kejimkujik National Park. The Keji itself has a number of well-organised hiking trails. In summer you will be the target of mosquitoes and blackflies. Do not miss to explore the park by canoe. It is an unforgettable experience.
5th night: Blomidon Inn, Wolfville. This noble inn is a former captain’s villa. Overnight packages with a gourmet dinner are offered. Remarkable wine list.
6th night: Amherst Shore Country Inn, Lorneville. This small country in is situated near Tignish at the border between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. It takes you only thirty-something minutes to reach the Confederation bridge between NB and Price Edward Island. The inn ins owned by the same family that owns the Blomidon Inn in Wolfville. A fabulous dinner in a private atmosphere with view of the Northumberland Strait is offered there.
7th night: West Point lighthouse Inn, West Point, PEI. An inn in a lighthouse which is still in use. We spent the night in the tower room with sea view from each of the small three windows. Marvellous !!! Enjoy the quiet atmosphere when all the other guests and visitors have left. However, the quality of food was not comparable with the dinners we had the nights before. Do not forget to visit the other rooms of the lighthouse that serve as a museum. PEI is a wonderful island. Try to avoid the Anne-of-Green-Gables bustle around Cavendish. Charlottetown is nothing to write home about. Worth to visit: the Acadia Museum in Miscouche.
8th night: Cardigan River Inn, Cardigan, PEI. This mansion in eclecticistic style was built in 1919 for an US senator and his wife, who was from Cardigan. Located solitary in a park of old linden trees, it is a true oasis. We stayed in a comfortable suite. A five o’clock tea was served in one of the lounges and the next morning we had breakfast at the fireplace. The Innkeeper offered us free WWW access, which was an opportunity for me to find out that the complete miles for both legs had already posted. Although the return leg was booked in Y and upgraded with miles, they gave us the complete 9000 (award) miles.
9th, 10th and 11th night: Midtrail Motel and Inn, Pleasant bay, NS. After a long trip to Cape Breton Island, NS, we stayed three nights ad the middle of the Cabot Trail. Pleasant Bay is a small fisherman’s village and the ideal location for hiking and whale watching. Expect to encounter moose, both on the road and on the trails. It is worth to stay there several days to enjoy the variety of hiking trails and to avoid unnecessary driving. BTW: the motel is nothing to write home about, but the location is ideal. BTW, do not forget to visit (if you do not stay there anyway) the Middle Head trail near the Keltic Lodge in Ingonish. If you are lucky, you will see some bald eagles there.
12th night: The Duffus Inn, Baddeck. Interstingly, tourism is much more present in Baddeck than at the Cabot Trail. The Duffus Inn is a small and cosy country inn just at the waterfront of the Bras d’Or Lake. In Baddeck, the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site is a must.
13th night: The Black Duck Inn, Port Dufferin. After a long way from Cape Breton Island, we headed to Halifax. Port Dufferin is a village (“in the middle of nowhere”, as an American visitor told us) situated in one of the countless coves at the NS Atlantic coast, ca. 130 km NE of Halifax. From our room, we had a tremendous view of the bay, the Eastern Shore Islands and the Atlantic.
[I]14th night:[I] Delta Hotel Halifax, Barrington Street. The Delta Halifax is a typical city business hotel. It is situated ideally to explore Halifax downtown on foot. Worth a visit: The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and the Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History. We had an excellent dinner in the Upper Deck Restaurant in the Privateers’ Warehouse.

YHZ-FRA report follows soon.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 6:21 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Thanx for the excellent report so far!

I fell in love with Nova Scotia on a trip five years ago and definitely will be back there...

Another interesting way to get there from Germany is the Hannover-Moncton weekly Condor flight. Or AC's Halifax-St. Johns/Newfoundland-London flight.

I think I will build the latter into a star RTW next year and rely on some of the hotels that you described in your report...

May I ask if you used an award for the DE ticket? How much would the upgrade or the C ticket cost in € and is it cheaper to buy it with a package tour? Anyone?
Old Jul 18, 2004, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Thanx for the excellent report so far!

I fell in love with Nova Scotia on a trip five years ago and definitely will be back there...

Another interesting way to get there from Germany is the Hannover-Moncton weekly Condor flight. Or AC's Halifax-St. Johns/Newfoundland-London flight.

I think I will build the latter into a star RTW next year and rely on some of the hotels that you described in your report...

May I ask if you used an award for the DE ticket? How much would the upgrade or the C ticket cost in € and is it cheaper to buy it with a package tour? Anyone?
Yes, there is a HAJ-YQM flight on DE. It is a 757 with Y/cl only. We also considered to use the AC flight via LHR. Five hours in AC Y on the 767 were not too bad but the fare was about the same (€ 1.100) as the DE flight with one leg paid C and the other leg upgraded as we eventually did. The basic Y fare was € 890. One-way u/g is € 440 or 35K miles. A mix seemed the most reasonable solution to me.
The upgrade fare is constantly € 440 oneway, regardless if booking a package or not.
One thing I thought about is if it would be better next time to u/g the outbound leg and have a fully-paid C ticket on the return leg in case of being booked on another flight (Sorry, the DE pilots are on strike/have diarrhea today, we booked you via YUL on AC...). I suspect that chances to get a C seat if you have ug'ed and you are booked on another flight are higher on the outbound leg than the way back. Any ideas ?
Old Jul 18, 2004, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Third part of trip report: YHZ-FRA

Here is the last part of my trip report, the flight home

07/15/04 YHZ-FRA
DE 4063 19.15-6.25 (763)
2H/K

Check-in : For the DE flight to FRA, two AC counters were reserved. No distinct C class counter. Fortunately, we checked in early and were the only pax at the counters at that time. Otherwise we would have got stuck in the zoo . The CSA was amazingly warm and friendly, liked to small-talk a little bit and was unflappable. We got two invitation cards to the Maple Leaf Lounge (AC lounge).
Lounge: The MLL is situated airside on the third floor. There was a so-called priority line at security, but there was no significant difference to the other lines: all worked efficient. The MLL has a rather tasteful interior with dark brown wood, the common choice of beverages, pretzels, fruit and cheese and a nice view of the apron. Unfortunately, the wardens did not call for flights. Thus, we were much too early at the gate (24) and had to wait another 45 minutes for boarding.
Boarding: After pre-boarding for families with children, C pax were allowed to board through the neighbour entrance (23).
Cabin service and comfort: With all C pax boarded, the purser welcomed us personally and whished a pleasant flight. Due to some problems, take-off was one hour late. We got the same chewing-gum drink as before. The load was higher, I counted 16 pax. Two pax upgraded inflight and one of them barked at the purser as he had to pay the full u/g fare of € 440, as he expected a special of € 220. Unfortunately, that special was only valid until the week before (which meant that we had to pay full fare, either). I liked the gazes of some Y pax on the way to their seats . The Y interior on that aircraft (D-ABUD) was refurbished with new blue seats. Later during the flight I had the chance to take a seat, not too bad, if nobody reclines into you and the neighbour seat is free (Y load was about 60% only, so there were many free seats in the middle). For night, eyeshades and earplugs were offered.
Food: The flight took only 5h 50 min, therefore we spent (too) much time with eating . Here is the menu:

Sesame crusted Ahi Tuna on mango salsa and Wasabi sauce, Shrimp on French cocktail sauce and stuffed artichoke bottom with marinated Shiitake mushrooms
Main course of your choice:
Roasted fillet of beef Southwestern style with fried onion rings on Southwestern tomato sauce, green beans, yellow baby squash, sweet potatoes
or
Variations of grilled seafood with shrimp, scallop, and Red Snapper on cilantro butter, scallions, carrots and vegetable rice
or
Loin of lamb in mustard crust on sweet potato puree with sundried tomatoes and balsamico sauce
Selection of cheese, Bread - Roll - Butter
Apple strudel with strawberry and vanilla sauce
Coffee – Tea – Digestif

The starter was delicious, the beef was LH C quality. Cheese was nothing to write home about (no Tedemoiner on board now ). The dessert was good as well: The wine selection was the same as on the inbound leg. One and a half hours before landing, breakfast was offered (in Y the light was turned on and you got your tray, nolens volens , in C we were asked after dinner):

Fresh food in season – Fresh Orange juice
Bread - Roll – Croissant – Butter - Jam
Salami – Ham – Emmenthal Cheese
Eggdishes of your choice:

English nuffin with scrambled egg; chives and béchamel sauce, green asparagus tips and hashbrown potatoes
or
“Apfelküchle” with vanilla sauce and French toast with morello cherries
Coffee – Tea

I am not really hungry after a night flight, so I had some bits from the choice, the other had my GF who slept as long she could.
One more word on the seats: Due to some reasons which I could not figure out, was the footrest factually useless, as your feet got squeezed under the front seat. I could not remember feeling that cramped on the footrests in old LH C. I almost never sleep while being moved, regardless if F, C ,Y or a Single or Double DB sleeper (BTW, I like sleepers ^ ) and I did not sleep the remaining two hours.
Debording: In FRA, deboarding was efficient, the gate was A 54 and immigration was empty. We had to wait 15 min at the belt. No significant effect of priority tags.

In summary, I like DE C very much, the 763 front cabin is quiet and you feel comfortable and private. Thanks again to the FAs for the warm and personal service.

fradoc
Old Jul 18, 2004, 9:55 am

Wonderful report. I have only flown LH first and this does sound like service in between LH first and business. Thanks for all the details
Old Jul 29, 2004, 5:48 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Sounds like I have to try that one day... Thanx again for the interesting report!
Old Jul 29, 2004, 6:57 am
Uli

Thank you very much for the report.
I had booked DE comfort class several times this year already but unfortunately all the holiday trips were cancelled .... hope I once get to see it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.