Smile MrSydney jets back to SYD via AKL in J & Y on NZ

Monday 21 June 2004
747-400
ZK NBW
Business Class
Seat 19A
Depart: 11.30pm
Arrive: 7.15am

Right, it was time to kick arse and head home to Sydney, Australia after visiting family in Southern California. Whilst I had an enjoyable time I found the heat and smog somewhat oppressive.- and I must confess Los Angeles is not my most favourite city in the world. I have to say though, the shopping is marvellous and the prices are unbeatable even with the wobbly exchange rate.

Whilst my flight did leave until 11.30pm, my Sister in law dropped me outside Terminal 2 just after 11am. Walked into the Air New Zealand check in area and there was a sign saying it did open until 1.30pm. ‘Dam’ I thought!!! ‘I should have checked ahead’. Grabbed a trolley and ambled across to TBIT and boy was it busy!!!! Grabbed a bite to eat then did some spotting. Spotted some familiar Sydney faces: SQ, KE, QF, PR & TN and some not so familiar faces: MX, EL & SR. Saw my Air New Zealand aircraft being towed away to a remote stand. 12.30pm I ambled back to Terminal 2. Took some photos of Air Canada, Southwest, USAir. Finally I checked in at 1.30pm.

The check in agent informed me that the upgrades would only be released at the gate and it did not look promising as Business Class was busy tonight. The TSA staff at Terminal 2 were excellent - that were quite chirpy despite having one of the most boring and low paid job in the US. Interesting to arrive home and unpack my case to find a pamphlet saying the TSA had searched my luggage. Good thing I had washed my clothes the night before. What they must see is beyond my imagination!

‘Oh well’ I thought ’time to head off to Santa Monica. Went downstairs and got the LAX Shuttle Bus ‘C’ to the Transit Centre then jumped on a Blue Bus #3 to Santa Monica (cost 75 cents). Spent a very pleasant few hours in Santa Monica doing some last minute shopping before heading back just after 5pm. I was almost tempted to catch a cab back to LAX but since time was on my side rode back by bus.

I was in a real quandary how to pass the next few hours as Terminal 2 is not exactly bursting with facilities. Then decided to check out the Restaurant at the top of the magnificent 1960s style Theme Building - The Explorer Restaurant. Took the lift upstairs and was seated by a hostess type person, ordered an entrée of Calamari and a glass of wine. The views were pretty amazing: views of Terminal 1 & 2 on one side and the UA terminal on the other. I would certainly recommend if any FTers are at LAX and have a few hours to spare and some $$$$$ - pop over for a drink!! However give the food a miss - pricey and not that great Caution - I doubt though you can just pop in to check out the vista.

I eventually trotted back to Terminal 2 after 9ish. Thru security which was a breeze and to the Air New Zealand service centre located toward the end of the concourse on the off chance my upgrade had gone through!!!! It had and was presented with my BP with seat 19A and was told to make my way to the lounge.

The staff at LAX have improved ten fold since my last visit in 2000 where I rated them as the most motley, unprofessional and clueless staff I had encountered on the Air New Zealand network. I was most impressed on this occasion. Nice to see that when I initially arrived, a Supervisor was on hand to advise LHR bound passengers that their flight was delayed by approximately four hours. Each passenger was handed out a sheet of paper which no doubt contained a profuse apology with a meal voucher, phone card details, etc. Improvement aside, NZ staff at AKL, SYD & WLG are really the cutting edge for service on the NZ network

After a mad dash to the Lounge, arrived and it was surprisingly crowded - and this was the last flight of the day. I can’t think what it would be like with 3 flights departing concurrently. Managed to grab a seat opposite a couple from Westport. Now if we think Mad_Atta’s home town of Blenheim is provincial, it is the epicentre of glamour, style & sophistication in comparison to Westport. I noted that every Internet terminal was occupied and I didn’t bother wasting a valuable 'wine appreciation moment' to check out the nibbles - though it did look pretty limited. Alas, I only managed a half glass of a Marlborough Sav Blanc before the boarding announcement for all passengers to proceed to Gate 58.

Boarding was very orderly and it was interesting to sit in 19A which is the last seat in J which divides it off from Y. Overheard the goings on as the Purser welcomed passengers on board. J was full tonight and Y was 95% so it was going to be a busy flight. The Purser seemed a friendly sort of chap with a good sense of humour. J downstairs tonight was crewed by two FAs, Cheryl and Patrick, who were both friendly and very professional but I would rather have had Heather who worked J AKL SYD two weeks before.

Supper
Appetiser

Tamarind, lime and palm sugar
Marinated seafood with green papaya salad

Main Course

Sauteed fillet of cod
On crisp pasta and garden vegetables. Mild chilli tomato ginger lemon grass sauce

Sauteed beef tenderloin
With herb glaze grilled tomato
and truffle potato croquettes
Roasted garlic and pinot noir sauce

Mediterranean herb marinated chicken
With grilled vegetable
Lemon oregano olive oil dressing

Dessert

Ice cream dessert selection
of macadamia nut brittle
and double chocolate

CHEESE AND FRUIT
A selection of fine New Zealand cheese and seasonal fruit.

Wine

From our award winning Air New Zealand wine cellar includes celebrated New Zealand wines and a selection of the finest wines from the boutique wineries of New Zealand and Australia. The cellar has been compiled by our wine panel which includes renowned wine makers John Belsham of Foxes Island Wines and John Buck of Te Mata Estate Winery, Hawkes Bay. The fine wines served on this flight have been chosen to compliment today's menu style. Your crew will be happy to discuss the selection and help you choose wines to accompany your meal.

For supper I chose the Chicken which was pretty average but then it was after midnight and I wasn’t that hungry but I did make some room for the Ice Cream which was delicious. After supper was cleared it was time for some shut eye. Reclined my seat, covered myself in a blanket, popped a pill and was soon out for the count. Except for some minor turbulence and a baby who started crying for a few moments, I slept the sleep of the dead. In my reckoning I slept for at least 7 hours - not bad going. Better still I awoke with a glass of water in the arm rest next to me and not feeling like death warmed up!

Breakfast

Start your day with an energising breakfast drink, your choice of juice,
freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate.

Continental Selection

Fruit Selection
with assorted cereals and yoghurts

Croissant, white &
wholemeal toast,
with fruit conserve.

Hot Options

Egg beater omelette
With Californian vegetables and herbs,
Potato rosti tomato

Creamy herb scrambled eggs
With sun dried tomato chicken sausage,
Kaiser bacon and Roma tomato.

Bacon stuffed French Toast
with kaiser bacon, sun dried tomato
chicken sausage and breakfast syrup.

I am not as a rule, a breakfast person but - hey - I was flying Business Class. First up was the smoothie - a good way to start the day. That was followed by a fruit platter which I wolfed down. Then the FA came around with the Bakery selection and I had some white toast which I smothered with jam. The toast wasn’t as hot as I normally like it but then again aircraft don’t carry toasters for obvious safety reasons. For the Hot options I decided to skip the egg dishes and go for the Banana stuffed French Toast which was very tasty indeed! Skipped the bacon, tomato and sausage - bit too greasy looking for 5am in the morning and I have my figure to look out for!!!! That was washed down with a nicely brewed cup of coffee.

Overall a very nice breakfast . Not quite as good as SYD AKL in J but a distinct improvement on SQ Breakfasts.

Auckland - Sydney
A320 ZK OJF
NZ103
Wednesday 23 June 2004
Pacific Class Seat 18A
Depart: 9.00am
Arrive: 10.30am

What a come down for MrSydney to transfer from flying J to Y. Thank the lord it was only a Trans Tasman flight!

I arrived at AKL from NZ5 just on 7am. Repacked my hand luggage after my Santa Monica foray into something approaching manageable. AKL was not particularly busy that morning. Poked around the bookshop for some magazines. I was feeling that tired but neither was I was feeling exactly energised. No matter, this was only a short flight.

Our aircraft ZK OJF was towed from a remote stand to Gate 3 an hour prior to departure. Boarding commenced approximately 40 mins prior to departure. It was going to be a busy flight - later confirmed by an FA who told me the flight was ‘packed to the gills - not a spare seat left’ This flight must be routinely busy as it uplifts Passengers from NZ5 travelling onward to Sydney.

This was your routine trans Tasman flight. Breakfast was the Fratata with a pastry, cake and terrible Tasman Express coffee. I actually prefer this type of breakfast than the vomitous scrambled eggs/omelette they used to serve.

Since I had heard the audio IFE about 60 times this month and seen “Starsky and Hutch” twice, I settled down and read my book

Them all female FAs were of an older age group but not of the United Airlines Prison Matron vintage. Personable, friendly but very busy!!

The 2 ½ flight whisked by and by this stage of the journey all I wanted to do was get home. Began our descent into a very smoggy looking Sydney from the south which meant it wasn't going to beone of those long annoying taxis to the gate. Pier B was virtually deserted at 10. 30am - the trough period between the morning and afternoon peak periods. Immigration was a breeze and a short 5 min wait at baggage claim. All in all - a 20 min Plane to Exit (PTE). Well done Sydney Airport .

Conclusion
Lounge: NA
Catering: 7
Service: 8
IFE: 2
Arrival: 10

Last edited by MrSydney; Jul 10, 2004 at 7:58 pm Reason: Lap Top that does not have Word
Old Jul 9, 2004, 6:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks for another great trip report mrsydney ^ ^

Sounds like the later morning flight across the ditch is the way to go if you dont need to be in SYD too early. I am always on the early flight and immigration is a pain at that time (not to mention having to get up so early).

Unless I am mistaken, your flight was 3 1/2 hours - we have 2 hour time difference, no?
Old Jul 9, 2004, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
KiwiFlyer

No i am pretty sure it was 2 1/2 hours.

That 9am deparure is the way to go as you miss those awful immigration lines with all the overseas arrivals around 8.30ish
Old Jul 9, 2004, 7:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

okay I must be having bad maths day

leave 9am AKL time = 7am SYD time
arrive 10:30 SYD time
so 3 1/2 hours?
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:59 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
You are absolutely right, Kiwi Flyer, the scheduled time is 3.5 hours - Mr Sydney was too busy focusing on getting a dig at Blenheim into his trip report to worry about the maths!

Nice report anyway, from what sounds like an enjoyable flight. I can't believe you voluntarily spent all that time at LAX though - it's one of those places I can't wait to get out of.

I couldn't agree with you more about the vile coffee on Tasman Express services - it outrages me that they call the food/beverage service "your cafe in the sky" and yet they serve instant coffee! NZ is a pretty coffee-literate place these days (as is Australia) so I find that really surprising. I've moaned about it to some of the FAs, but perhaps a concerted campaign to AirNZ customer relations is in order?
Old Jul 10, 2004, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_atta
I can't believe you voluntarily spent all that time at LAX though - it's one of those places I can't wait to get out of.
I really had no choice as the morning was the only time my sister in law could drop me off. I found the time really dragged once it got dark!! Still i managed to occupy myself but agreed - its a pretty awful airport as airports go!

Yes it is 3 1/2 hours to NZ. I stand corrected!!!!!
Old Jul 12, 2004, 1:21 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Thanks Mr Sydney for another interesting trip report again ^
Yes, I agree that SQ's breakfast in the C cabin is not up to par and they have a tendency of waking pax up at a ridiculous 3 hours prior to landing just to serve breakfast
Old Jul 12, 2004, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by igel
Yes, I agree that SQ's breakfast in the C cabin is not up to par and they have a tendency of waking pax up at a ridiculous 3 hours prior to landing just to serve breakfast
What does SQ have to do with MrSydney's trip on NZ?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
What does SQ have to do with MrSydney's trip on NZ?
KiwiFlyer

I did actually make a comment in my report that i thought NZs breakfasts were better than SQs in J
Old Jul 12, 2004, 3:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Oops didnt read properly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.