Wiki Posts
Search

CX 831 JFK to HKG in J

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy CX 831 JFK to HKG in J

Hi everyone,

Here is the detailed trip report on CX’s brand new JFK to Hong Kong nonstop flight… photos are not available yet, but I will add the link once I finish the current roll of film – maybe in August.

Photo link
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...1&sort_order=0

July 5, 2004
CX 831 JFK-HKG Lv1550 Arr2010+1 Airbus A340-600 B-HQB
A pretty cloudy day at JFK this afternoon… I flew into La Guardia around 10:30am through Air Tran and got to JFK around 11:30am. I waited till noon, when the BA staffs showed up at the CX desk. Bags were carefully weighed, including hand carryon bags. The limit is 10lbs for hand carry and the agent was apologetic, but told me that this flight was very weight restricted. I was made to check in my roller on bag, which is 5 pounds over weight due to my laptop. Then the agent did not charge me but told me that one of the bags was on standby and I said that was fine, since one of the suitcases were all stuffs for my family, and will be in Taipei for a day. Nevertheless, the third bag made it to the flight and it was the first bag to come out –- they really waited till last minute. The BA agents were not particularly friendly and not familiar with CX procedures yet. There was also a lack of CX uniformed agent, which was unusual. Usually one CX staff will standby at the F class desk. Anyway, I think CX needs to hire its own agents at JFK soon – with two flights a day, there is no excuse to use BA check in staffs, which have a relatively weak record from the past – only applied to JFK staffs.

I headed to McDonald for a quick bite, since no real food was offered in the BA terrace lounge. I was in the first class lounge this time, but the food and beverage selection is identical to the business class lounge – fruits and junk food from both the UK and the US – no Chinese newspapers in sight – only one computer is available. Fortunately, I was in the lounge alone for the first two hours… the lounge was comfortable and was more formal than business.

I headed to the gate around 3pm but boarding did not begin till 3:11pm, but everything was in order with separate first and business line, although only door two was used. The usual routine was offered, such as pre-takeoff beverage, amenity kits, newspapers, and various rituals, but the F/As on this flight look very exhausted or tired. I don’t think CX is cutting their layover time – I will guess twenty-four hours is too short, but anyway, the crew is very average. I also think that the ISM, Andy, was not particularly helpful and friendly. He was not too keen in interacting with passengers and facilitating service. Well, during the flight, the F/As did not pass around snack trays or ask if you want beverage or refreshments throughout the long flight, unlike my AKL-HKG flight a month ago, in which the F/As were active in asking if you are hungry. Those are these details that differentiate between a good and average flight. Door was closed early at 3:44pm but we did not push back till 3:52pm. Traffic was pretty slow at JFK with the rainstorm and taxing was extremely slow. Finally after a LH’s Airbus A330-300 D-AIKA took off from R/W22R, we began our long takeoff roll at 4:21pm. This Airbus used every bit of the runway this afternoon.

The routing was fascinating – we passed by Stamford, CT, Manchester, NH, and Berlin, Maine, before reaching 33,000feet. We continued our north track through Quebec, Fort Chimo, Ungava Bay, Iqualuit, Davis Strait, crossed through Greenland, before climbing to 34,000feet and then 35,000 feet before we crossed the North Pole around 10:30pm EST (about six hours into the flight), and then we raised to 36,500feet after entering the Russian sky, and then 38,000feet before entering Patom Plateau and Mongolia. Then we dropped to 37,500feet, when we entered Northern China, and then climbed to 37,500feet and finally at 39,500feet when we reached Baoding, Wuhan, and then Shaoguan.

Well the service of the flight was very typical of transpacific flight – only one cold savory, and no choice for desserts. CX does not pay any additional or special attention to the meals of this supposedly special flight. Well a full dinner was offered after takeoff and then a full breakfast prior to arrival.

Here is the wine list:
Champagne
Champagne Deuz, Brut Classic

White Wines
Louis Max Saint Veran 2001
Wente Vineyards Reserve Riva Ranch Chardonnay 2001

Red Wines
Geyser Peak Sonoma County Shiraz 2000
Louis Max Mercurey Domaine La Marche 1999

Port
Dow’s Late Bottled vintage Port 1997

Here is the menu transcript
Dinner
Cold Savory
A smoked duck breast with cranberry jam on top of walnut-raisin bread – actually tasted fine and smoked duck breasts were quite tender and tasty

Salad
Marinated Portobello Mushroom with cherry tomato
Meslcun greens as I add and the salad dressing is Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinaigrette

Appetizer
Fine Smoked salmon
Two pieces of Japanese style smoked salmon (just like first class) and then a smoked salmon rosette – nice and fresh!

Main Courses
Sauteed Prawns and Cucumber with chili paste, steamed rice and baby Chinese Cabbage with Straw Mushroom
Grilled Lamb chop with fresh herb and mint lamb jus, lyonnaise potatoes and grilled mixed vegetables
Wild Mushroom Lasagne
Light Choice
Noodles in soup with Barbecued duck
The prawns were a special marked item, and I had the lamb chop, which was the opposite of the lamb chops on LAX to HKG flight last month. This lamb chop was overcooked, small, and tasteless – the lamb was too think – and the entrée size was very small. You can tell from the pictures!

Cheese Board
White Cheddar, Emmental, and Gorgonzola with crackers and grapes

Fresh Seasonal Fruits
Mango, melon, cantaloupe and pineapple

Dessert
New York Cheesecake with Strawberry sauce
Delicious and rich

Assorted Breads and rolls
Focaccia Garlic, Focaccia rolls and some kinds of multi-grain rolls

Tea and Coffee
Pralines

Refreshment
Noodles in soup with barbecued duck
Warm Reuben sandwich
“Joe Shanghai” Crab Dumplings served with Dark Vinegar and Ginger
Haagen Dazs ice cream
I sort of expect a formal trolley rollout service at midnight, but it did not happen. After I got up from my nap, I had the Crab Dumplings, which tasted better than I think, but too small – only two pieces. Joe Shanghai was a famous restaurant in New York City – the soup dumplings were delicious, and CX chooses to serve the crab version this month – same soup dumplings with crabmeat. Of course, it will taste better in the ground, but is not too dry – still tastes the soup. But I recommend you getting another item as well.

Snack basket had the usual stuff plus turkey sandwiches and Museli bars. I slept for the first part of the flight and then watched short subjects till the end. Entertainment is great as usual. Lights were turned on at 5:47am EST, and here is the breakfast menu:

Breakfast
Juice Selection

Appetizer
Fruit plate
Pineapple, papaya, melon, strawberry, blueberries and boysenberry

Yogurt and Cereals
Fruit yogurt (Red Raspberrry), Corn Flakes or Raisin Bran

Main Courses
Ratatouille Omelette
Grilled Canadian bacon, hash brown potatoes, and cherry tomato
Abalone Clam and Mushroom Congee accompanied by Pan-fried pork bun
Imperial Fried Noodles and Chinese Dim Sum
I had the dim sum, which was the usual combination of shrimp dumpling, chives dumpling, and pork dumpling (Siu Mai).

Assorted breads and rolls
Cinnamon-raising bagels, croissants, and blueberry muffins

Tea and coffee

During mid-flight, water bottles were passed out, as well as a box of Chinese candy – must be some promotions. Anyway, we began descent at 7:08am EST, and touched down at 7:53pm Hong Kong local time at R/W25R, and we parked at gate 3.

Well, I met our fellow flyer talker at 14D, and we did not chat much, since I was pretty much out of my mind due to the redeye flight preivious evening and the comfortable CX seats. The entertainment system kept us entertained.

Anyway, I am glad that CX launches a new long haul flight, but the services needs to improve for sure…

If some of you are flying the HKG-JFK route, I will appreciate if you can share the menu… just wonder what CX is going to offer on this flight.

Also with the F/As on my flight, I am against CX plan to cut F/As rest time from five to four hours... Service really suffers this time... the F/As are definitely more tired than usual. The union requests additional seven F/As -- of course I don't think that is possible, but I think CX should add one or two additional F/As though especially for the premium cabin.

Carfield from Taipei

Last edited by Carfield; Aug 14, 2004 at 11:19 am Reason: Photo links added
Old Jul 6, 2004, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Great report Carfield, as always.

I am taking this flight in F on 7/23 and am very excited about it, despite your luke warm opinion of the flight.

Didn't realize the flight would pass over Stamford. I'll be on the lookout around 4:30 or so!

You mentioned photos, are you going to spoil us even more?

As for the crew issue, would it really be that hard for CX to increase rest time without increasing crew numbers? I assume all crew members are working through dinner and all for breakfast. For the remaining part of the flight, how many are really needed, especially if the mid-flight snack service is not a formal meal offering. In any event, adding an FA or two would probably not cost too much and would make for a better passenger experience.

Too bad about the bag checking issue. I plan on traveling with a 22 inch rollaboard and a brief case. I would prefer to carry them both on, but trust that CX will get it to baggage claim promptly (if HKG at 8 PM is similar to what it was like during my last evening arrival, the bag will no doubt beat me). I don't udnerstand why it would make any difference in terms of weight if I carried it on or checked it. Maybe they'll be more lenient with F pax.

Anyway, thanks again for the report!
Old Jul 6, 2004, 4:38 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Question Breakfast at 5PM?

Is CX crazy? Serving breakfast prior to landing in HKG at 5:47PM Hong Kong time? (5:47AM Eastern Time)

One would basically have breakfast, and a few hours later would go to bed!

I would have expected them to serve a second dinner/supper prior to landing.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by daniellam
Is CX crazy? Serving breakfast prior to landing in HKG at 5:47PM Hong Kong time? (5:47AM Eastern Time)

I fully agree. This is really daft.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 8:55 pm

I will be writing a full trip report on CX 830 from HKG-JFK. I flew First Class On July4 and it was ABSOLUTELY SENSATIONAL. Best first class flight I have ever had. The food was great and meal service was lunch, dinner and refreshment.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the report - up to the usual high standard. Sorry to hear it was a disappointing experience.

I am starting to feel that CX Business Class is no longer 'great', merely good. Food and drink seem to be getting worse and service is a bit patchy. It's a different story in F, but sadly I am confined to J at best now.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by daniellam

Agreed. I think the CX flight that is most similar to CX 831 is the afternoon London flight (4 PMish departure, 9 PMish arrival), which, when I flew it (albeit in 2002) served a "late lunch" after takeoff and a "light supper" prior to arrival (with the usual snacks on offer in between). I expected the same on this flight, with maybe a more formal meal offered midflight.

Of course, in F at least, one need not have the breakfast prior to arrival. Part of me thinks it would be wise to have breakfast as the first meal and the formal dinner prior to arrival. I may try this on my CX 831 trip later this month, but probably won't as it would be such a pain for the FAs.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 2:04 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Carfield, great report!! I guess how one views the quality of CX J is dependant upon what one is used to. Since I am mostly on Air Canada longhaul J (either upgrades or redemptions) I thought that my first CX J flight, SFO to HKG and onwards to BKK back in June was phenomenal. The small details which CX pays attention to were miles above what Air Canada does. However, I noticed that Air Canada does not do a bad job in J either.... though I think AC might be a little more generous during meal time in terms of meal portions.

I look forward to your photo's -- in my excitement I forgot to take out my digital camera and take photo's and in HKG I screwed up each photo!!!

The one thing I did not like with CX was their shower cabins in the Wing in the J section -- the showers themselves looked grungy. I think the AC Arrivals Lounge at LHR is better ONLY in this regard. The dim sum at The Wing was very good.... can't wait to go back!!
Old Jul 9, 2004, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Bags were carefully weighed, including hand carryon bags. The limit is 10lbs for hand carry and the agent was apologetic, but told me that this flight was very weight restricted.
Is the performance of the A340-600 really that marginal on the JFK-HKG? What are the prevailing winds like?
Old Jul 9, 2004, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments

Thanks for all your kind comments!

I agree that CX has an amazing product, but for the past year, CX seems to be cutting back so items, especially on the North American routes. I somehow held CX on a higher standard for the JFK to HKG flight because it is widely promoted and is one of CX signature routes -- the longest flight in CX schedule.

The F/As are still amazing but the problem is that the F/As look like from the moment we board that they want this flight to be over ASAP...

The poor meals are getting my concern... I don't think breakfast is appropriate. I think another full dinner should be served prior to arrival. It will help us to adjust to jet lag better. Two full meals are not too much to ask for in a sixteen hours flight. The casserole dishes are getting smaller and smaller...

Anyway, my personal theory is that CX spends simply more efforts on all routes, except North American, in which the yield is weaker (more award seats and upgrades).

About Airbus A340-600s, CX is just being very careful, especially a new route. I am sure after the flights operate for a few months, CX can predict the load better. I also that the BA staffs at JFK just like to make things difficult. I think CX needs its own staff at JFK... end of story.

Hopefully the return flight on August will be better.

Carfield
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Leaving aside the service issues, I look at a globe and marvel how one can now take a single flight from New York to Hong Kong.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks Carfield!

For yet another stellar effort. I always look forward to your reports!

Although I'm sure the nonstop is the most convenient, but I'd always rather route through YVR or (hopefully someday) LHR between JFK and LHR. I'll look forward to another First Class trip on Cathay in the next couple of years. In the meantime, I'll look forward to RTW4's upcoming First Class saga.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA ExecutivePlat; Delta Platinum; Aeroplan Prestige; SPG Platinum
Great report, enjoyable read. I will be taking the JFK-HKG flight in August. I wonder if the service will have improved from your experience. But I will be in First so there might be a difference.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I am starting to feel that CX Business Class is no longer 'great', merely good. Food and drink seem to be getting worse and service is a bit patchy. It's a different story in F, but sadly I am confined to J at best now.
I would have to agree wholeheartedly with that.

From listening to crew scuttlebutt on my recent trips I understand that most crews hate being assigned to the JFK run. Not that that's an excuse for poor service.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
I've gotta think ORD-HKG is a coveted route on United--it's staffed by what appears to be very senior crew members (more senior than usual).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.