Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 3:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Waouh you must have had a combination of a very bad room plus a very sensitive ear. I had never heard any light switch or packing noise from neighboring room.
I was wondering the same thing. Read markle's comment and sounds very unlucky. I have been at the HGI probably more times than I can remember and I can't recollect a stay where I could hear my neighbour like that.
Old May 30, 2017, 5:25 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:22 am
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:02 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Location is the best, the rest below average

Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Eastern Perimeter Rd Hounslow, GB TW6 2SQ

Location is the best, the rest below average (2 Photos)

This is the one and only big plus of this property.  About 5-10 mins walk from the Hatton Cross Underground station (either via the bridge or the crosswalk) - you need to walk pass this large Cargo Receiving center - therefore you walk either through the front or the back of this building.  The expensive Hotel Hoppa bus does stop here too.  There are not much of other shops around the area, so if you are looking for other dining options, not much luck here.  There is a petrol station and a small shop in the station to get some snacks or pre-package sandwiches or simple hot snacks.

HGI_LHR_Outside.jpg

Check In

Arrived at a rather peak hour and there were 4-5 different parties before me. Initially it was only 1 person working, but within a couple of mins, two other associates joined this, helping the line to move.  I did an online-check in (which I would after many tried, not recommend since I believe it reduces your chances of getting an upgrade as an Elite HH member).  Given the normal elite member benefits and that's it, nothing more.  Again compared to other HGI properties that I've stayed in outside or Europe/UK, they've always added some extra like welcome drinks, etc for their elite members.  Even in the US properties they are more generous in this aspect.  

Room

I chose my own room facing the airport, which was at the corner of the building.  On the floor map, the room looked ok in size, but in reality it is a long narrow room which is very close to the size of a mouse hole.  If you have 2 normal large suitcases, the room will be filled (actually I am not even sure if you can get those 2 open suitcases to fit without have obstructions to the bathroom/room door. 

The rest of the room equipped with the normal furnitures found in a room.  The TV was at most a 24" size (even my home computer screen is as big as that) and was placed on the writing table.  The number of channels on the tv itself (though most are not working - no signal) is different to what is listed on the program list.  Not sure why did they not delete these "no signal" channels.

Bathroom was small with one of the most basic washbasin (hardly any place to place your toiletries bag).  The shower area was small with a rather stuborn glass door.  Too bad even though for just a 2 year old hotel, they chose to go with a non-removal shower head.  Water pressure and temperature was at least ok.  Though the floor and the rest of the bathroom build was (surprisingly just less than 2 years) showing wear and tear - bad build quality/materials.  Furthermore it was so small, that normally you have 2 sets of towels available, they could not even put both, but had to keep one in the wardrobe (which was not clearly stated and I only accidentally found it when I opened the wardrobe).

Wifi seems to be free for all guests, which is again a minus point here.  If it was fast enough for all guests I am ok, but it was slow and even sending documents through whatsapp was slow or uploading photos was slow.  Normally there should be an option for premium internet if the hotel still wants to offer complimentary internet but do not want to pay for better speeds/data.

Bed was comfortable - only complain here are the duvet and pillow covers.  Upon checking them (which I always do just in case) found that they had some black stain (guess due to rubbing against rubber in the machine or grease stain?) and torned duvet covers (tried to hide it by using it underside).  At least it was not dirty I guess.  

As an international hotel (since it's an LHR airport hotel), could not believe that they just invested in one miserable EU type plug, which I again accidentally discovered since it was hidden behind the TV area.

Noise insulation within the hotel was a bit on the weaker side, you can hear guests talking in the hallway and closing their doors.  As for outside noise, unless you are directly under the takeoff path of the planes, you will still hear some engine noise. HGI_LHR_Room.jpg

Service

Did not use much of the service, but at least check-in staff were OK.

Overall

In general, after staying at this property I do wonder besides the supporting facilities of an hotel, how this property could have been branded as a HGI hotel.  Within the HH brands, based on the room quality, I would say the best this would be an Hampton Inn. (in reality I would say it's an in between of an Ibis Budget and Hampton Inn).  Very weak value for money.  For HH elite members, don't expect too much of recognition besides what's on paper.  Only reason I will stay here is just because of the location especially for early morning or late arrival flights and nothing more due to it's close location to Hatton Cross where you can easily get the trains to all Heathrow terminals.

Location is the best, the rest below average

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for the report, nldogbert. The hotel's web site, if I recall correctly, offered 183 square foot rooms and 280 square foot rooms. Do you recall the size of the room in your picture?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by serpens
Thanks for the report, nldogbert. The hotel's web site, if I recall correctly, offered 183 square foot rooms and 280 square foot rooms. Do you recall the size of the room in your picture?
I am very bad at sizing, so I really don't know in numbers, but from visual and physically being in the room, it was just narrow and tiny - and since there are just 2 options, this would be the 183 sqft option. I can only describe that if an average person stood on each side of the bed, you will be touching the walls. In front of the bed was a single sofa like chair and a small side table and against the wall on the other side is the writing table with the tv. I would say if this was in Tokyo or NY downtown, I would have been ok with the size, but this is Heathrow area and a HGI, so for me especially with what they are asking for, very bad value for money from the room quality and size point.
I was with 2 in the room and you had to make way for each other when walking between the bathroom and bed. (average size)

In my opinion Hilton HQ should really set a standard to include room size when they brand a certain hotel and not just because the hotel as additional facilities.

Cheers!

Last edited by nldogbert; Jan 9, 2018 at 12:29 am
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:22 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I have stayed there several times and never I have been given such a small room (and I always pick the cheapest rate for this hotel), there are probably not a lot of them. I think you were unlucky because my experience of this HGI is quite good.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by fransknorge
I have stayed there several times and never I have been given such a small room (and I always pick the cheapest rate for this hotel), there are probably not a lot of them. I think you were unlucky because my experience of this HGI is quite good.
Agreed. I think the value is excellent as they usually have very low rates. This room looks tiny though. If I have a look at the floor plan, there is one tiny room on every floor indeed: 146, 246, 346, 446, 546, 646, 746.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by florens
Agreed. I think the value is excellent as they usually have very low rates. This room looks tiny though. If I have a look at the floor plan, there is one tiny room on every floor indeed: 146, 246, 346, 446, 546, 646, 746.
I am not sure what you guys quote as very low rates (but for this stay I paid 70 GBP) and for some future dates where I will need a room close to LHR, rates are in the upper 80's and one even close to 100 GBPs - which is quite a lot to ask for considering that you can get other FS hotels for somewhat less which I've stayed before and room size is much better (and better elite recognition).

Coming back to the room - I just checked my folio and indeed, I had the bad luck of having room 546 However the hotel should have upgraded me to a better room if they know that this room is tiny as an Elite member. However besides the room, just having a washbasin in the bathroom (which is also tiny) and reusing permanent stained towels and bedding sheets - how is this possible for a HGI? For me I can accept all these if the rate was < 50 GBP - but anything more than that to offer such service is really bad value for money in my opinion.

The only reason I will stay again here is the convenience of the Hatton Cross access where I can go to any of the terminal quickly.

Cheers!
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by nldogbert; Jan 9, 2018 at 3:32 am
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by nldogbert
I am not sure what you guys quote as very low rates (but for this stay I paid 70 GBP) and for some future dates where I will need a room close to LHR, rates are in the upper 80's and one even close to 100 GBPs - which is quite a lot to ask for considering that you can get other FS hotels for somewhat less which I've stayed before and room size is much better (and better elite recognition).
I usually pay about £65 for a queen room and £10 for an upgrade to a king room or £82 for a king room.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:53 am

I have usually paid in the range from £45-75 for this hotel. I actually stay here quite often - it's one of my "go to" hotels around LHR. I have been quite happy with my stays here, it's seems no worse than other HGIs I have stayed at in the UK. The only ones which tend to be regularly cheaper around LHR are the Doubletree or Premier Inn Bath Road - both of which are not as convenient for T5 but fine for T2/3. Also the new Premier Inn at T4 seems to be relatively cheap so far.

I think I have had a room like the one you were in maybe once over the years. They are right in the corners so if you can OLCI pick something else.

You do get free bottled water when you arrive, either they give you two bottles or tell you to help yourself from the fridge in the pantry area opposite reception. Also you get the choice of free breakfast or extra points. I am not sure what other elite benefits you are expecting? Having just stayed at a HGI in the US I didn't get anything more than that there.

On upgrades, there is not a lot to be upgraded to - all the rooms are fairly similar so I am not convinced I could tell the difference between a normal and upgraded room.

I have found the wifi fine over the years, not super speedy but it's fast enough for working and I have sometimes downloaded programs on iplayer using it.

In terms of plugs you should have one either side of the bed (many hotels annoyingly do not have any next to the bed) and a few more near the desk. They are mostly uk type but frankly if you travel a lot that shouldn't be an issue as you should have some adapters. When I go to the US or mainland Europe I rarely see UK plug sockets.

For getting there you don't need to walk through any cargo building, just walk along the road, see my map here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27265665-post70.html

Overall I am not sure I agree with your assessment of this hotel, but of course if you are not happy there is plenty of other hotels around LHR to pick. The ones I mentioned above can be cheaper. I think if you don't like it you are best avoiding it in future and nothing anyone says would convince you otherwise. I have similar LHR hotel dislikes - I really don't like the Thistle yet other people I know seem to be quite happy with it!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Agree with KARFA on this - my experiences in this hotel have been universally positive and I'm there again Thursday night despite only living 25 minutes away - partly mattress running, partly having LHR flights on consecutive days so I can make a quick break for T3 on Friday afternoon.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
Agree with KARFA on this - my experiences in this hotel have been universally positive and I'm there again Thursday night despite only living 25 minutes away - partly mattress running, partly having LHR flights on consecutive days so I can make a quick break for T3 on Friday afternoon.
I guess everyone to his own...or maybe I came in with much higher expectations and to be let down mainly by the size of the room and the design of the bathroom (still can't get over how small it was). Most probably I might have a different view if I had the standard size room - but still only having a wash basin without a cabinet around it is quite surprising.

Cheers!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
I’ve found this hotel to be poor. I’ve experienced delays at check in with inadequate numbers of staff on the front desk and no operating Honors lane. The on-site shop frequently has almost no food available in it - a problem if you arrive after 10pm when room service has stopped and the main restaurant has closed. I’ve eaten in the bar on one occasion, not something I’d repeat as the food was overpriced and poorly cooked. The one bonus of staying here is free breakfast for Golds and Diamonds. Plus, as mentioned by others, the location is very good.

Overall it’s not a hotel I would choose to stay in unless I had to be near to Heathrow. I think compared to other HGI properties it’s inferior.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by bmifly
I’ve found this hotel to be poor. I’ve experienced delays at check in with inadequate numbers of staff on the front desk and no operating Honors lane. The on-site shop frequently has almost no food available in it - a problem if you arrive after 10pm when room service has stopped and the main restaurant has closed. I’ve eaten in the bar on one occasion, not something I’d repeat as the food was overpriced and poorly cooked. The one bonus of staying here is free breakfast for Golds and Diamonds. Plus, as mentioned by others, the location is very good.

Overall it’s not a hotel I would choose to stay in unless I had to be near to Heathrow. I think compared to other HGI properties it’s inferior.
Amazing...this echoes my sentiments EXACTLY. The breakfast, while without charge, is pretty poor IMO - unless you think a Hampton Inn breakfast is good. Had a stew once at the bar - again, poor quality and overpriced. I would much rather stay at the DoubleTree and walk across the road to the Indian or Turkish place - the former is particularly good, although it is meant mainly for takeaway.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by puchong
Amazing...this echoes my sentiments EXACTLY. The breakfast, while without charge, is pretty poor IMO - unless you think a Hampton Inn breakfast is good. Had a stew once at the bar - again, poor quality and overpriced. I would much rather stay at the DoubleTree and walk across the road to the Indian or Turkish place - the former is particularly good, although it is meant mainly for takeaway.
i am not sure what Hampton inns you have stayed at in the uk, but having had breakfast in some myself I can’t possibly agree the breakfast at this HGI is remotely equivalent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.