Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sq Sin-tpe-sin

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2004, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Sq Sin-tpe-sin

My latest trip was to Taipei with my mum and sis for some shopping and sightseeing as they have not been there for quite some time. Also my sis wanted to visit the famous ximending street.

08/05/2004
Singapore – Taipei
Singapore Airlines SQ 872
B777-200 9V-SRF
STD: 0830 STA: 1305
ATD: 0845 ATA: 1255
Departure Gate: F40
Arrival Gate: C2

Arrived at Changi airport at about 0715 and proceeded to check-in. As it is not yet the holiday season, the check-in counters are not that crowded and processed very quickly. Got seats 49H,J, K. Then, we proceeded through immigration, which again, have no queues, and headed to the duty-free shops. My mum bought some cosmetics from the shops before we proceed to the gate. When we reach the gate at about 0810, boarding was already underway.
Boarded the aircraft and was greeted by the chief steward and a flight stewardess at the door. Also newspapers were offered from a trolley on the aerobridge just before the door. We then walked to our seat at the center cabin, just before the toilets. This particular aircraft (9V-SRF) does not yet have the Wiseman 3000 system and it is also my second time onboard this aircraft (the 1st being 2 years ago on an army chartered flight back from Kaohsiung). The passenger load on this flight is really very low, with approximately only one-third of the seats occupied. In fact, the middle column of seats in the rear economy cabin was almost empty. On the seats were a pillow and a blanket. Amenity kits were not handed out on this flight but plenty is available in the toilets. After the doors were closed, we spread ourselves out. Each person can have 3 seats to him/herself if desired. We pushed back at about 0835. Hot towels and headsets (the more comfortable overhead ones and not the clip-on ears ones) were offered. The flight stewardess serving my aisle was an Indian and a Taiwanese. Both were very friendly, particularly the Indian flight stewardess. All announcements were made in English and mandarin (mandarin announcements by the Taiwanese stewardess). The estimated flight time is 4h.
During pushback, the same cheesy safety video was shown. Lights were then dimmed as we taxied to runway 02R for takeoff towards the north. Took off at 0845 and the flight path took us towards
Tekong, turning left towards Mersing, turning right again to the South China Sea and tracking straight towards Taiwan, over flying the western towns of Taiwan like Kaohsiung and Taichung before hitting Taipei. This is through my own perceptions as the airshow is not in operation throughout the entire flight flight. What a disappointment!! No airshow and no Wiseman 3000. Luckily the rest of the entertainment options worked fine, with the exception of the radio channels, which were broadcasting music for flights into Singapore instead of flights out of Singapore.
Once the seatbelt sign was turned off, menus were distributed, followed by 2 rounds of drink service of orange juice or water on trays (Hey, its still morning. Who wants to drink beer/wine in the morning). However other beverages are also available if one desires. The cruising altitude was about 12100m (??feet). Then, brunch was served. The menu is as follows.

Brunch from Singapore to Taipei

Fruit
Fruit appetizer
(One slice of papaya and pineapple each and three grapes)

Wholesome beginnings
Singapore carrot cake
Singapore style fried savoury radish rice cake with prawns and egg
Or
Baked crepe with scrambled egg, chicken sausage, sautéed mushrooms and hash brown potato
(Had this. All I can say is that I should have gone for the carrot cake. The egg is not scrambled, but mashed)

Dessert
Chocolate banana cake with vanilla sauce
(This tasted heavenly, just like a dessert in a high-class restaurant.)

From the bakery
Roll
Butter – Fruit preserve
(Can’t find the fruit preserve on my tray, or in anybody’s tray, for that matter.)

Hot beverages
Coffee –Tea
Chinese tea

I also had a cup of fresh milk with my meal. The meal service was fast due to the low load. Two rounds of coffee/tea/drinks service were offered with the meal. After the meal, duty free sales was offered. There was a 10% sale for certain products in may/june so as to coincide with the great S’pore sale. Then, it was time to stretch out and watch a movie on Krisworld entertainment system. I really miss the Wiseman 3000 system. Drink patrols are done every half an hour. If one desires, there are two drinking water fountains on the B777s at the toilet areas. When we overflow Kaohsiung, I was able to spot Kaohsiung international airport from the left windows. Descend soon started and the skies started turning hazy. When we approached Taipei, the haze was so thick that nothing could be seen until soon before touchdown. We flew out towards the seabefore turning back for a Rwy 24 approach. Had a firm touchdown and braked heavily with the aid of thrust reversers and brakes. After so many B777 flights, this is the first time that I could hear the thrust reversers being used on landing. We arrived about 10min ahead of schedule and parked at gate C2 at Chiang Kai Shek international airport terminal two. Deboarded with the usual farewells and thanks by the crew members. The crew will be stopping over in Taipei for 1 day before operating the next day’s SQ 871 flight back to SIN. I thought that they will be doing a turnaround flight as it was only a 4h flight but this was obviously not the case. Also the Raffles class seats are the Ultimo light ones.
Old May 12, 2004, 3:46 am
Original Poster

11/05/2004
Taipei - Singapore
Singapore Airlines SQ 871
B777-200 9V-SRA
STD: 1410 STA: 1830
ATD: 1425 ATA: 1835
Departure Gate: C2
Arrival Gate: F31

After much shopping in Taipei, it was time for us to head back home. Took the airport bus to the airport and reached the airport at 1145. Check-in at the SQ counters in terminal 2. The check in was handled entirely by SQ staff and they were the best that I have encountered at all SQ stations. Firstly, a staff member will be at the entrance of the queue holding a basket of luggage tags and stickers and handing them out to passengers who wants it. Then, at, check in counter, the staff actually asked us which seats we prefer and if we wanted to spread out as the passenger load is quite low. Then she gave us seats 49 G, H, K and blocking out 49F, J to remain empty. Then we wished us a very pleasant flight back home. Also on the counter was a bowl of sweets with SQ logo on it. Wow, that is service. Also, for this flight alone, there were eight economy class and three Raffles class check in counters available, all staffed by SQ staff. After check in, we proceeded to the food couth to have some food before going through immigration. Through immigration, we did some last minute shopping to get rid of the Taiwan coins. I also saw the SQ flight from Singapore landed. When it taxied pass, I saw 9V-SRA. No Wiseman 3000 again….Groan . Then we proceeded to the gate.
When we reached the gate, the holding area is almost empty. It is going to be another empty flight and I was right. There at most 100 passengers on this flight. After waiting for a while, boarding started. Boarding was by rows with Raffles class, PPS members and Star Gold members having a separate line. Another testament of Taipei’s excellent ground service, the station manager was thanking everyone individually for flying with SQ and wishing us a pleasant flight.
Greeted by a chief and a flight stewardess at the door and grabbed some newspapers from the trolley. Proceeded to my seat again and was greeted again by each of the crew member that I passed. The crew were actively helping out with the overhead luggage and also offering to hang up coats for passengers wearing it. I also saw a famous Singaporean song composer on this flight (Li Si Song, who those who wants to know). Then the same procedures, hot towels, headsets, safety video etc. Luckily the airshow is working fine for this flight. Just before our departures, takeoff and landings are on Rwy 24 but were switched to RWY 05 during our pushback. Pushback on time followed by a lengthy taxi to RWY 05. A Cathay A330 was following us and ahead of us was an ANA B767. We taxied beside the former RWY 05R where SQ 006 crashed and I said a silent prayer for the victims of the crash. The runway is now converted entirely into a taxiway with the runway markings gone. After waiting for a China Airlines Cargo B744F to land, we taxied onto the runway, throttled up and took off. On this occasion, the cabin lights are not dimmed for takeoff and landing. I thought that the normal procedure SQ procedure is to dim all lights during takeoff and landing. From the airshow, it showed that we were experiencing some tailwind, so why do we use RWY 05 to takeoff? Anyone care to explain? Immediately after liftoff, we made a left U-turn and tracked down the Taiwan western coast. The route taken is approximately similar to the inbound flight and the cruise altitude is the same at 12100m.
After seatbelt signs are off, the crew came around with the menus. It is the same menu as the inbound flight as meals for both sectors are listed within in English and Chinese. Then the bar service started with a packet of peanuts offered from a basket. Drinks (orange, apple, beer ,water) were offered on trays and not using the bar cart as done on my previous flights to Australia five months ago. However the crew is glad to prepare other drinks if requested. Why is there a different procedure in the bar service on the different flights? Two rounds of drinks were offered. There is this particular flight attendant on my aisle who like picking up trash. She would grab away any trash that she sees such as my blanket wrapping that is put on the spare seat. Then lunch is served, offering either an oriental or international selection.

Lunch from Taipei to Singapore
International selection

Appetiser
Smoked salmon with romaine lettuce, herb crouton and creamy garlic dressing
(Exchanged for this with my sis. The portion was very large with plenty of lettuce.)

Main course
Chicken in tarragon vinegar sauce with vegetables and raisin-basmati rice
Exclusively created by Mr Georges Blanc, Vonnas

Cheese
Cheese and crackers

Dessert
Ice-cream

From the bakery
Roll and butter

Hot beverages
Coffee-Tea

Oriental selection

Appetiser
Sweet and sour prawns with pasta salad

Main course
Chinese style braised beef with white radish in soya sauce, broccoli and steamed rice
(Quite tasty and big portion.)

Light bites
Chinese snack
(A traditional Taiwanese pineapple cookie.)

Dessert
Ice-cream
(Haagen Dazs cookies and cream ice cream. Fantastic!!)

From the bakery
Roll and butter

Hot beverage
Chinese tea

The meal was extremely filling and satisfying. I got a sprite and orange juice with the meal. There was one stewardess who would actually attend to any passenger at the lift of an eyebrow. There is no need to even press the attendant button!! Another two rounds of drinks were offered and following which drinks were offered almost every 20 min. Once, a leading steward even came around with cans of coke to offer to passengers. Again, duty free sales was offered after the meal. As usual, I watched a movie to while away the time. Not long after, we began our descent and there were some light turbulence on approach. We flow out to Batam before commencing our approach to RWY 02L. This time, no reverse thrust was used during landing. After touchdown, it was a long taxi to gate F31 on the other side of the airport. The raffles class seats of the aircraft are still the old light blue coloured recaro type.

Overall, these two flights were slightly over average, possibly due to the low load factor. However the SQ ground staff in Taipei is excellent!! With the miserable passenger loads on this route, it is no wonder SQ downgraded the service to using only B777s and reducing frequency (previously there were up to 4 flight daily to Taipei) on the SIN-TPE route. The only disappointment is the lack of Wiseman 3000 and the awful scrambled egg to Taipei.
Old May 15, 2004, 1:50 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is this Wiseman 3000 entertainment system? Is it this "24 movies on demand" I've heard about?

Enjoyed reading your report, and I am always impressed by the service standards on SQ.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; May 15, 2004 at 2:01 pm
Old May 15, 2004, 2:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Great report b7772er ^

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is this Wiseman 3000 entertainment system?
The latest version of IFE on SQ (previous was Wisemen 2000).

It has on demand movies, tv, games, audio - all up 200 channels (300 on the A345?). ^ Great for those long-haul flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.